It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Destroying the ego

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 02:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bluesma

Originally posted by Itisnowagain
When you realize that your true nature is 'nothing' - nothing fixed, nothing in particular - you are free.
However, when there is a need to be 'something' or an idea that I have to be 'something' in particular then there will be suffering.

The realization that I am not a thing - that I am no thing - is the end of wanting to be something - it is the end of ego.
edit on 26-4-2013 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

Of course you hve to choose something! To choose not to choose, is to choose!

The fact is, you have projected your self into the physical world, and the plane of time and space.
This vehicle, this form that is typing on your keyboard? It will not cease to exist as soon as you decide to not be it anymore. You can change it's form, appearence, behaviors, you can kill it, but even if you choose not to be the consciousness that animates it, and decide to leave others to move it, control it, wipe it's butt, put food in it's mouth, or whatever they choose to do to/with it, you will experience those experiences.

I have not 'projected' myself into the physical world. What is happening presently is all there is. But the thoughts tell you there is a separate you - separate from presence - it 'projects' itself into time - it makes up stories about you over time - but there is no time - there is only presence.
This 'projection in time' (past/future) is the false illusionary self that does not exist but makes life hard - the ego.

Typing on a keyboard is happening presently - I am not doing it - it is just happening. There is no me doing it - all is done - presently as presence. It is happening as one movement.

This is the presence of the lord but man (ego) plays in time.
Time is an illusory stage for a pretend person to have an illusory dream.

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 02:28 AM
link   

You are nothing (emptiness) and the appearance (form) is constantly changing.
All is presence - the unchanging constant presence and the ever changing appearance - appearing presently.

Emptiness is form.

Yes. So you agree on that?

I wrote it - I am not in the habit of writing anything I disagree with.

Back to silly word games again.

I knew it was probably a waste of time to respond to your post.

You are not actually interested in exchange or communication with an other, are you?

To even just acknowledge you agree or disagree with another,
would be acknowledging "others" exist, wouldn't it?

How is it silly word games?
You asked me if I agree with what I wrote - yes, I agree with what I wrote..

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 02:34 AM
link   

I have not 'projected' myself into the physical world. What is happening presently is all there is. But the thoughts tell you there is a separate you - separate from presence - it 'projects' itself into time - it makes up stories about you over time - but there is no time - there is only presence.
This 'projection in time' (past/future) is the false illusionary self that does not exist but makes life hard - the ego.

Typing on a keyboard is happening presently - I am not doing it - it is just happening. There is no me doing it - all is done - presently as presence. It is happening as one movement.

This is the presence of the lord but man (ego) plays in time.

Makes life hard?
Sounds liek your body has not had pleasurable experiences, and apparently doesn't like existing too much.
I find life quite extraordinary and exciting!

You can't say "I'm not doing it", because there is no "I" according to your description, of your perception, which of course cannot be, since there is no consciousness to percieve....

Okay, then I shall choose and dictate, this is a consciousness that is trying to avoid experience of existance.
As a result of not exercising it's power, it finds existance in a plane of time space and matter unfulfilling, and without pleasure, so spends each minute running from it, denying it, denying self, and denying existence.

But will have to keep doing this repeatedly because it contiues to exist and be conscious despite these denials.

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 02:35 AM
link   

I asked if you agree with me, to confirm if our views are similar or not. I'm done with you.
You don't want to exist, so I will respect that and act as if you don't.

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 02:42 AM
link   

Okay, then I shall choose and dictate, this is a consciousness that is trying to avoid experience of existance.
As a result of not exercising it's power, it finds existance in a plane of time space and matter unfulfilling, and without pleasure, so spends each minute running from it, denying it, denying self, and denying existence.

But will have to keep doing this repeatedly because it contiues to exist and be conscious despite these denials.

Life is alive now - presently. This is where it is all happening - right here and right now. Seeing is happening, hearing is happening - always presently.
However - the ego is time based - it is fear based because it believes it will die - so it is always concerned with it's survival - it is fear.
When one realizes that there is only presence and presence never ends then the fear (ego) drops away.

This is life and it is eternal but the mind (ego) is so scared it doesn't feel aliveness.

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 02:46 AM
link   

I asked if you agree with me, to confirm if our views are similar or not. I'm done with you.
You don't want to exist, so I will respect that and act as if you don't.

Sorry - I misunderstood because you quoted my post and asked if I agreed it - I didn't realize you were asking if I agreed with something you wrote. What was that?

I have no choice but to exist. I know what I am. Some though are very confused as to what they are. They try desperately to be some 'thing' - they try to mould themselves into some 'thing' that they think is acceptable - they are frightened that they will not fit in.
The problem with moulding yourself into a shape is that shapes do not fit in - but nothing fits everywhere it is.
Be like water.

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 04:07 AM
link   

Sounds liek your body has not had pleasurable experiences, and apparently doesn't like existing too much.
I find life quite extraordinary and exciting!

Life is happening now - where the body is. The body feels sensation - it sees, it hears.
Life is sensational.

Playing in time is done by the mind presently - always presently.
Presence dreams of other times and on that stage you 'think' you exist separate to presence. Are you a thought?

Presence is all.

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 04:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Itisnowagain

And yet the mind is intrinsically stuck within the framework of time. It cannot escape time, because it is time. This is where the importance of wisdom arises, to be able to 'read between the lines' and deduce that time is merely a construct of our very limited ability of perception.

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 04:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by openlocks

And yet the mind is intrinsically stuck within the framework of time. It cannot escape time, because it is time. This is where the importance of wisdom arises, to be able to 'read between the lines' and deduce that time is merely a construct of our very limited ability of perception.

Time is mind - they appear together. Yet there is only presence.
In presence dreams are dreamt. The dream of separation is the apparent separation from presence - yet it is impossible to escape presence in reality.
The 'idea' of time appears as mind. All ideas appear presently in presence as presence.

The ego will die when it is realized that there is only ever the present happening.

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 06:05 AM
link   
I want to explain something.

The ego gives humans a distortded feeling, the only 'emotion' ego can generate is a numbness, a numbness to the presence. Ego uses the past to create a feeling in a human in the present. So it 'corrupts' the feeling one has in the present by reminding that person of the past. It makes one feel worthy of all the corruptness one can possibly experience. No, ego is that; ego has the delusion it may corrupt people.

Everything that is not the truth is a delusion to know.

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 06:06 AM
link   

However - the ego is time based - it is fear based because it believes it will die - so it is always concerned with it's survival - it is fear.
When one realizes that there is only presence and presence never ends then the fear (ego) drops away.

This is life and it is eternal but the mind (ego) is so scared it doesn't feel aliveness.

That sounds liek a really uncomfortable experience.

In my experience, self/ego doesn't fear anything, doesn't fear death, or suffering. All is Now, there is no death nor birth, here nor there, past or present.

These are repulsion/attraction impulses built into the physical body, to encourage survival and procreation.
They are not I. They are experiences in physicality, and for my body, they are reality- but not for my self.
All that is layers on top of the self.

It's like you are trying to convince people that they are not their clothes! That they don't have to experience wearign clothes, because clothes are the source of all suffering... completely disregarding that some people simply have fun wearing clothes, and just as they don't "have" to wear them, they also do not "have" to take them off, and many of them are not suffering because of their clothes.

Thanks for the concern, yes, I am naked underneath this. I know that. I'm over it, now I am having fun with the layers because it is creativity, not because I am "trapped" or suffering.

But that is all I will say further to the you which is not.

edit on 26-4-2013 by Bluesma because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 06:15 AM
link   
Itisnowagain defines ego, while you talk about the self Bluesma.

The self is that what is without ego. hmm, I see now.

awesome thread

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 06:26 AM
link   
God is Master and His teachings are the way to overcome ego.

Ego wants to be worshipped as God. God has teachings, so the ego wants its delusions to be called teachings also. It wants 'to get the mind straight'. For one to experience itself as God. It wants to be worshipped in lie, as God is worshipped in truth. An inverted mind worshippes the devil.
edit on 26-4-2013 by Angle because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 06:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Angle

This is the definition I refer to,

e·go (g, g)
n. pl. e·gos
1.-The self, especially as distinct from the world and other selves.

1. the self of an individual person; the conscious subject

1. the “I” or self of any person; a thinking, feeling, and conscious being, able to distinguish itself from other selves.

It is the first definition in almost every dictionary I look up.

It is not the aspects, characteristics, emotions, thoughts, forms, shape of the self... in the statement "I am ....) it is the "I" not the .......(whatever you put in after).

If you are separating "self" and "ego" then what i would say that what you really mean is that you want to release your self/ego from identifying with superificial aspects of the ego.

(and even amongst those superficial aspects, there some more superficial than others)

edit on 26-4-2013 by Bluesma because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 06:34 AM
link   
yes, Bluesma, but what ego wants people to believe is that it is selfawareness, and truth. It wants to be worshipped in lie.

So when you think of this 'not awareness' (for that's what EGO is) as awareness it succeeded to make you worship it in lie. You believe in it with 'lies' about it.

Do you see?

More examples, ego is lie, so when you see lies as truth. Ego is evil, so when you think of evil as 'good'. See.

edit on 26-4-2013 by Angle because: s

That way it get's its acknowledgment to be worthy of people, it wants as many people to think of it that way as it can. It's blasphemous. To deceive Gods children, that is its purpose. When it succeeded in deceiving the children it is satisfied, that way it are His children and then it's got something to accuse God of.

So, about 'destroying' ego. That is for humans not possible. On the other hand, humans are in the ability to refuse and to resist it. Deny ignorance! For the devil is not ignorant. Be as sharp as the snake it is written in proverbs.

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 08:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Bluesma

I will offer this video where Mooji explains the difference between 'self' and 'personality' (ego/mind).

For clarity.

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 08:43 AM
link   

reply to post by Angle

This is the definition I refer to,

e·go (g, g)
n. pl. e·gos
1.-The self, especially as distinct from the world and other selves.

1. the self of an individual person; the conscious subject

1. the “I” or self of any person; a thinking, feeling, and conscious being, able to distinguish itself from other selves.

Yes - ego is the separate self - the divided one - the conflict.
But nothing is separate from presence.
A 'person' is what spans time - and time does not exist in reality - only in thought.
Reality is timeless being.

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 08:57 AM
link   

What you can observe is not the observer. Q: Is it to be solely the observer? What if the observer is the completely physical body itself? It is to give the observer nothing to observe. Then the observer transforms into the essence of our being. For there is only an observer when there is something to observe. Being physical is that which is being spiritual.

+ 'When we sense we do not experience the physical world' Not touching, sensing, as 'reading'. It is not done with the physical eyes.

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 09:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Angle

In this moment (presence) there seems to be an observer and the observed.
The observed aspect is constantly changing, noises appear and disappear, the visual image and point of focus are changing.
However there is something that is aware of the changing that never changes - the ultimate seeing. Seeing happens regardless - it sees the ideas and thoughts and words arise as they arise. It sees the colours and patterns and hears the noises that all arise presently.
It is constantly present everywhere.
It is all seeing - all knowing and always present.

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 11:11 AM
link   

I am familiar with the concept of wu wei- (not so much with Star Wars though- was eastern teachings part of those movies??)

Very much so.

Basically, Luke let go of his hallucinatory identity (his ego-self) to merge identity with the Force. That's the goal of a Jedi, to become one with the Force. Just as the goal of a mystic is to become one with God. Thanks to Luke, Anakin Skywalker was able to real-ize that goal in the end.

There is a real-life equivalent to that. There is a real-life something that 'the Force' is deliberately based on. There is something that we can merge with. Something that we normally don't define as "us" because we think it's "out there" or "other".

But it is us. It's just that, it's hallucinating that it's not. It's playing hide-and-seek with itself.

This something is found throughout world religion and myth. It can't be defined, it can only be pointed at through metaphor. In order to merge with that something, there is something we must leave behind. That something we leave behind is the ego-self. It's the part of us that thinks it is separate from everyone, separate from 'the Force' or the Tao or God or whatever you want to call it.

When the hallucination that is the ego is left behind and the merge takes place, "you" are still aware. "You" are more aware then you've ever been. More conscious. You are more real than you've ever been. You are enlightened.

edit on 26-4-2013 by BlueMule because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join