It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nestlé CEO Says Water Is Food That Should Be Privatized – Not A Human Right

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2013 @ 11:59 PM
link   
Peter Brabeck's comments reflect a company's search to open up profit avenues on a resource they already have some limited control over. The problem is, his interpretation and argument does not quite hold water...so to speak, but his main aim is to put the debate out there in the public consciousness, and to steer it towards a legislative argument in order to open up those unused profit avenues.

The first argument has to be wether water can be considered as a food commodity? Just because we intake water orally does not mean that it is food. Would you consider all forms of oral medicines as food? I don't think you can. Water is used by many companies around the world (Nestlé being one of them) as an essential component in their industrial processes, it's not a food then. When ever we use water other than to drink, we are not using it as a food stuff. The argument in fact could work against him, because if we analyse our bodies natural requirements we can legislate against companies seeking to exploit the fundamental needs for life for their own profit.

The hydrologic cycle is a natural cycle which no company created, nor does it constantly cycle for mankind's own needs, it actually belongs to the planet and all of its denizens as a whole. Peter Brabeck's comments require an essential common sense logical rebuttal. All law and legislation is based on utilitarian needs and it is this that companies exploit for profit, so any argument against exploitation for profit has to show where exploitation causes damage locally or globally, and must seek legislation that regulates the ability to exploit. We have to regulate ourselves. Period.

The question now is...how much regulation are you willing to accept in order for a fairer global distribution of the planet's resources? If regulation was going to impact upon your current lifestyle would you agree to it? I think your answer would be dependent upon how much of an impact it would be? Unfortunately, it is the wrong answer.
edit on 22/4/13 by elysiumfire because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 12:54 AM
link   
I recently lived near a Nestle factory in Gympie Queensland, Australia. They pump out Nestle 64 coffee there 24 hours a day. On the up side there was always a roasted coffee smell in the air around town. On the down side when we were in drought (happens often enough) everyone in town was put on water restrictions (rations) while the Nestle factory sucked the same amount each day as the whole town. This was not common knowledge or I am sure 30K plus people would have been a bit pissed off. Another case of profit before resources. Sad, but I don't want to give up coffee just yet.

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 01:02 AM
link   
What I would like to know is,,,,,,,who in the world makes chocolate milk out of water???? I think they meant to say MILK!!! LOL

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 01:32 AM
link   
Shouldnt it say FORMER Nestlé CEO Says Water ?? Hence why hes not working there

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 01:44 AM
link   
reply to post by ShaithisFerenczy

How is it any more amusing than this thread?

www.reuters.com...

Originally posted by sirhumperdink
youre paying to maintain the infrastructure which is much different than paying for the water

The water you need for survival is a human right, and must be made available to everyone, wherever they are, even if they cannot afford to pay for it.

However I do also believe that water has a value. People using the water piped into their home to irrigate their lawn, or wash their car, should bear the cost of the infrastructure needed to supply it.

edit on 22-4-2013 by aivlas because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 03:14 AM
link   
reply to post by karmajayne

Thanks for sharing such important info. That guy is a certified psychopath.

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 03:42 AM
link   

Water supply and treatment in the u,k. has been in private hands for a long time, and we pay a high price for it

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 04:54 AM
link   

First of all a small point he is a former CEO according to your link, and I have been paying for water my parents and their parents also.

I live in the UK in England people have a water meter and pay a set amount for water, in Scotland it is part of the local council tax and has been for as long as I can remember.

Someone has to pay for the up keep of the system to clean and supply water to your house here in the UK, is it not the same for you

edit on 22-4-2013 by wmd_2008 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 05:00 AM
link   
While no one should be denied water, is it a right?

We need food to live too and that's definitely not free and barely a right

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 05:18 AM
link   
People pay for water to their doors know in rates/taxes etc. You pay for the 'service' but they charge by the water volume.

There's no story here that I can see?....unless your another who sees conspiracies behind everything in life?

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 05:48 AM
link   
This disgusts me first the Monsanto protection act now this I bet it won't be long till this is implemented. The worst part is when/ if it does we're probably just gonna let it happen

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 05:59 AM
link   

I daresay that a sizeable portion of the ATS readership are urbanites. As urbanites, if you really believe water is some sort of "human right", then put your money where your mouth is. Instead of sending a check for the water bill next month, just send a note saying "water is my right as a human." Let's see how long it takes for your "rights" to stop dripping out of the tap.

For my part, since I am NOT an urbanite, any "businessmen" who come to attempt to "manage" my "resources" will be found at the end of the drive, hanging from their neckties in the tree there. You can pick them back up from that collection point.

Don't whine about your "rights" unless you are prepared to enforce them.

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 06:00 AM
link   

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 06:04 AM
link   
I have several springs on my property one is used to fill my great fountain the others just run to Lake Michigan. I have all the free water I'll ever need.

A couple of mivro brewers get water from my neighbors springs he has something like 28 on his property
edit on 22-4-2013 by mikell because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 06:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by McScrad
Vote for me. I will fix this.

100% inheratance tax

www.facebook.com...

Hello my name is Patrick McKart I would like to run for political office. My platform is as follows:
• Abortion should be mandatory until age 25.
• I support socialized medicine...it works great in Canada. It'll work here as well.
• We need our guns so we can rebel in times of tyranny…Try and take them away.
• We should restructure our education system to a federal standard, rather than a state standard. I propose using traditional methods for elementary school learning, and to replace middle school, and high school, we should institute a new military based learning structure, with individual job paths, that train students of both genders, in their job path, as well as in a variety of methods, including real world training, to teach them basic survival, and cooking skills, etc.
• Marijuana should be legalized on a federal level, and taxed.
• We should end all wars for profit NOW. We should only attack nations from a defensive standpoint.
• We should strengthen our borders to prevent illegal immigration. Illegal immigration destroys our economy.
• We should invest heavily in the private technology, and space industries, as well as NASA.
• We need to rebuild America’s infrastructure, to do this we should reinstate the CCC or Civilian Conservation Corps, as an economic safety net, for the unemployed, and homeless.
• I’m sure I could find a good solution for any other issue.
I believe if we do these things, we can truly revive this nation, and surpass our highest levels of economic prosperity and social abundance. Hopefully we can inspire the world to do the same. I know this plan will work. So where are the loans? Where are the investors? Let’s make it happen.

Vote Patrick McKart for the Democratic Party 2016! Or we could impeach them all NOW. I also understand that it would be in my best interests to start at the local or state level, so really whoever wants to pick me up. I am unfamiliar with the process, I need a good mentor.
PS
I have no money… But I could use an editor, and a mentor. This is obviously a rough draft.

I WILL NEVER GIVE UP.

Yeah most of that sounds better than what we got now however I don't believe the people currently in charge would let someone with those views get very high up into power we would first need to defeat the corrupt gorverment. they won't listen to us as of right now because they hold more power then us so once we remove them we can focus on fixing what's wrong with this country. They don't want the average American to prosper they want us dumb and weak
edit on 22-4-2013 by Deceasedfantasy because: (no reason given)

edit on 22-4-2013 by Deceasedfantasy because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 06:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by nenothtu

I daresay that a sizeable portion of the ATS readership are urbanites. As urbanites, if you really believe water is some sort of "human right", then put your money where your mouth is. Instead of sending a check for the water bill next month, just send a note saying "water is my right as a human." Let's see how long it takes for your "rights" to stop dripping out of the tap.

For my part, since I am NOT an urbanite, any "businessmen" who come to attempt to "manage" my "resources" will be found at the end of the drive, hanging from their neckties in the tree there. You can pick them back up from that collection point.

Don't whine about your "rights" unless you are prepared to enforce them.

Guess what the water arrives at my house through a system of pipes after being cleaned and made safe to drink, do I own the purification system, do I own the pipes NO, have we always paid for CLEAN drinking water if you live in a town or city YES, if you live in the back of beyond with a nice freshwater stream going by possibly not!

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 07:05 AM
link   
In case it hasn't been made clear previously, in the UK we don't pay for our water, we pay a fee to a company that maintains the systems necessary to pipe clean, fresh water to our homes. The cost of sewage treatment plants (recycling) water treatment plants (adding fluoride etc, yuck..) and the huge network of pipes & pumping stations is what we pay for, not the actual water itself.

The most scandalous element of the water situation in the UK is those homes that are forced to pay fees according to metered water distribution that supposedly reflects an accurate proportional cost according to volume of water piped in of such previously mentioned system maintenance costs.

Such 'water meters' are a disgraceful measure when they are enforced by the supply company. Some people choose to have a meter installed because they feel they can save money against the standing charge applied to non-metered homes; however, from what I understand, the cost to a normal family of two adults and two children skyrocket in comparison to the typical standing charge, and therefore on balance a water meter is simply a money-making scam, particularly obvious as you cannot opt-out once a meter is in place.

edit on 22-4-2013 by FlyInTheOintment because: clarification

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 07:10 AM
link   
I do believe the question of whether water is a human right is debateable.
So is the right to air, the right to sunshine the right to have a family.the right to speak out against a corrupt government that is run by special interests group that wanna privatize everything for profit.
I don't mind paying a water bill in order to be able to turn on the tap but I do not want that water being managed by a private corporation the government should be in charge of that

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 07:43 AM
link   
Aaand..

another bit of proof that most CEO's of mega-corporations are blatant sociopaths.

Scary, to say the least.

The most respectable "looking", and revered (by a certain part of the people) people, are actually sociopatic predators. *shiver*

More&more the dystopian sci-fi movies of the 80's (robocop!) are becoming reality. A reality were a person is f.i. "owned" by corporations. The warnings were there. People chose to ignore them.

Anyone noticed that, by passing "CISPA", internet freedom is actually culled? The EU forbade ACTA, CISPA and SOPA to be enacted within their borders, but would that stop the mighty Sociopath-elite in the States? I doubt it.

They will kéep trying. In this case they mis-used the Boston Bombing to stealthily steer it through the House. Nasty, truly nasty.
edit on 22/4/13 by dutchmilpo because: typo

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 08:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Deceasedfantasy

I saw a documentary a year or two back about a multinational called Veolia who have fingers in transport and waste management in many different countries (they run my local bus service here in Australia) and apparently their plan is to privatise water as well. This documentary said they would own the majority of the world's water in 10 to 20 years. So I guess Nestle are going to have some competition. It's comforting to know the world's water is sought after by such a reputable, ethical company (not). Nestle are scum, ethically. I will do everything in my power to prevent this from happening if it actually grows legs.
edit on 22-4-2013 by Archie because: .

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10 >>

join