It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bought a Gun, Got a Letter from the Attorney General

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 09:34 AM
link   
reply to post by DirtyD

Should have taken it to the post office and had them return to sender. Maybe include a nice and neatly written letter telling them to stop sending you junk/spam mail.

Also, sweet Baizley avatar.

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Why is that bad? That sounds great. They're taking an active concern in public safety as public servants are paid to do.You're still get to keep your gun right? What's the issue?

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Move, if you have the means.

California is an insane asylum.

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 05:55 PM
link   
reply to post by DirtyD

yup! this kind of government control, is exactly what the founding fathers tried to prevent while drafting the constitution. it took a long time, step by step, false flag by false flag to get the people to accept being tracked and monitored this way.

j

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 06:02 PM
link   
reply to post by frankiefaithful

Why is that bad? That sounds great. They're taking an active concern in public safety as public servants are paid to do.You're still get to keep your gun right? What's the issue?

My issue is that this has no impact on public safety as it is being sent to lawful citizens who have already proven to be aware of the safety concerns outlined in the letter. The true intent, I believe, is to make gun owners feel as if they are criminals. Meanwhile we have news of an off duty cop drunkenly brandishing his weapon in public without reprimand, LAPD shooting up civilians who are out delivering newspapers, NYPD shooting nine civilians in an attempt to shoot one bad guy, BATFE instructing dealers to sell stockpiles of weapons to known straw buyers for Mexican drug cartels, our Pentagon shoveling arms into the hands of terrorists to overthrow regimes in the middle east, and I'm the one that needs a lecture on gun law and safety? It's like Keith Richards telling kids not to do drugs.

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 06:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by watchitburn
reply to post by DirtyD

Well it is California. That State is run by idiots.
They actually planned their 2013 budget on the assumption that Facebook's IPO would generate them a whole bunch of cash.

I know it's unrelated, but it offers insight into the type of management that state is under.
I lived there for about 8 years, and am very happy I was able to escape when I did.

let's see....food market for the nation, clean air, almost a balanced budget (Texas in the hole by approx. 20b), san Francisco giants world series winners, 49'ers in super bowl, deserts, ski slopes, ocean, no hurricanes, no tornados, no BP spills, no humidity, no blizzards, no "sandy" storms, no major floods........yeah....it's a bitch living here...please stay away

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 06:13 PM
link   
I'm really not seeing the big deal here. Ok you had to wait 10 days for your federal background check, that's kind of important to make sure that felons and crazy people don't get their hands on guns in the first place. The atty gen of California knew that you had purchased a gun 2 days after? So what? That just shows that for once a government system is actually working efficiently. Are you really worried about your name being on a list of registered gun owners? Why because you're afraid a list of gun owner is being made just so they can take everyone's guns? That make absolutely no sense whatsoever. (Hey let's let everyone buy something just so we can take it away?)

There's no way the government, state or federal, can nullify the 2nd amendment. How would they go about taking everyone's guns? House to house? Imagine the riots that would cause. Is the national guard and police or maybe even the military prepared to shoot to kill American citizens? Logically it would be a nightmare.

That letter is just a reminder of your responsibilities. Yeah I know guns don't kill people but, guns are inherently more dangerous than knives, or baseball bats. With a gun you can injure or kill someone that's 100s of feet away, bats and knives not so much.

It seems like people are ready to freak out at any type of effort to safeguard against gun violence. I own several guns and I wholeheartedly support universal background checks. If you're an average law abiding citizen you won't have any problems. And as far as my name being on a list of registered gun owners I really couldn't care less. People need to stop being so paranoid

Both sides of the gun debate need to chill the hell out. The rhetoric and freaking out is getting ridiculous
edit on 16-4-2013 by acuna because: oops

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 06:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by frankiefaithful

I wonder if the gang bangers get these letters when they purchase their guns on the street corners?

Bill

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 06:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by acuna
I'm really not seeing the big deal here. Ok you had to wait 10 days for your federal background check, that's kind of important to make sure that felons and crazy people don't get their hands on guns in the first place. The atty gen of California knew that you had purchased a gun 2 days after? So what? That just shows that for once a government system is actually working efficiently. Are you really worried about your name being on a list of registered gun owners? Why because you're afraid a list of gun owner is being made just so they can take everyone's guns? That make absolutely no sense whatsoever. (Hey let's let everyone buy something just so we can take it away?)

Is the crime rate in California better than in Texas?

When I buy a pistol, I am out of the store with gun and ammo in hand 2 hours or less after I walk in. I once bought a .40 and a 9mm pistol at the same time. Still less than 2 hours, out the door with both pistols and ammo.

10 days? And you don't think that the 2nd Amendment has been nullified in your state?

That letter is just a reminder of your responsibilities. Yeah I know guns don't kill people but, guns are inherently more dangerous than knives, or baseball bats. With a gun you can injure or kill someone that's 100s of feet away, bats and knives not so much.

Method of murder is irrelevant. Murder is murder.

Both sides of the gun debate need to chill the hell out. The rhetoric and freaking out is getting ridiculous

Have our elected officials stop incrementally seizing ground in their fight against gun ownership, and people will stop freaking out.

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 06:30 PM
link   
reply to post by acuna

I'm not paranoid about being on a list, I knew full well going into this that as soon as I bought a gun it would be registered. I get it, but I passed a background check, took a test that proved I knew and understood gun safety and applicable state laws, and demonstrated safe handling procedures to the dealer as also required by law. I don't need the nagging reminder, especially when our own moronic Vice President advises the entire country to violate rule number four in the gun safety pamphlet that was included in the paperwork I was given with my purchase.

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 06:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by GreyGoo
All I read was....

" We know you have a gun, We know where you stay, If you try to say you don't know where said gun is when we come then we will take you instead, Keep that gun where wee tell you to make our job of confiscating it easy, Expect us soon."

You would read that because you're paranoid.
edit on 16-4-2013 by Cynicaleye because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 06:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Cynicaleye

You would read that because your paranoid.

Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they're not after you.

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 06:44 PM
link   
reply to post by DirtyD

Not all gun owners are as responsible as you. It's just the state trying to make sure that those who may not be as responsible are reminded one more that they can't just be an idiot.

I personally don't think it's a bad thing. It's only a letter, annoying? Yes! But where's the harm?

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 06:48 PM
link   
reply to post by DirtyD

I don't understand why you would believe they're coming after you based on that letter. I understand you took a test before being allowed to purchase the gun, but that letter will be sent to every gun owner, not just you. It's making sure you know regulations and the consequences of breaking said regulations. I don't get why you think this letter is noteworthy or threatening? You even say that you only need to get 23/30 questions correct to buy a firearm. They have to send these out to make sure people are clear on the law.

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 06:59 PM
link   
reply to post by acuna

Not all gun owners are as responsible as you. It's just the state trying to make sure that those who may not be as responsible are reminded one more that they can't just be an idiot. I personally don't think it's a bad thing. It's only a letter, annoying? Yes! But where's the harm?

As I have stated before, we in California have to prove to be aware of our legal responsibilities before ever walking out the door with a handgun. There was no new information in the letter that wasn't covered in the test I had to pass in order to receive my Handgun Safety Certificate, which is required to purchase a handgun. The harm is in the underlying tone of the letter, which not so kindly points out all the new ways in which I can now be prosecuted as a potential criminal, which is apparently how I am viewed because I am a lawful citizen exercising my rights.

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 07:07 PM
link   

I don't understand why you would believe they're coming after you based on that letter. I understand you took a test before being allowed to purchase the gun, but that letter will be sent to every gun owner, not just you. It's making sure you know regulations and the consequences of breaking said regulations. I don't get why you think this letter is noteworthy or threatening? You even say that you only need to get 23/30 questions correct to buy a firearm. They have to send these out to make sure people are clear on the law.

I'm not paranoid, and I don't think anyone's coming after me, nor do I think the letter is threatening. I do think it stinks of intimidation and hypocrisy, it is meant to foster the mindset that guns are bad and those who own them should be treated like criminals.

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 07:11 PM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

Is the crime rate in California better than in Texas?

If you want to compare crime rates show me some crime rates or at least tell what it matters in this case.

When I buy a pistol, I am out of the store with gun and ammo in hand 2 hours or less after I walk in. I once bought a .40 and a 9mm pistol at the same time. Still less than 2 hours, out the door with both pistols and ammo. 10 days? And you don't think that the 2nd Amendment has been nullified in your state?

If you can buy a gun and ammo, and pass a background check in 2 hours that's great! Just becasuse it took 10 days for the OP's background check has nothing to do with gun rights. It seems as though people forget the entire wording of the 2nd amendment. There's the part of a "well regulated militia". Everyone can still buy guns, most people just want to make sure that felons and crazy people can't. If you think your 2nd amendment rights are being taken away please give me specific examples of how this is being done. No conjecture. Evidence, sources and not from some fringe websites. Real sourced materials.

Method of murder is irrelevant. Murder is murder.

Yes murder is murder, but we don't let just anyone own howitzers and RPGs. Why? Because they are inherently dangerous. In the wrong hands they can do much damage and that damage has a much longer and more destructive reach than a gun, just as a gun has a much longer and more powerful reach than a knife or a bat. It's the duty of the government to put in to place laws/regulations that protect the public from those that would harm it, as it is the government's duty to protect us from those who aren't in a position to handle dangerous things responsibly, that as a result would be a general danger to the public at large.

Have our elected officials stop incrementally seizing ground in their fight against gun ownership, and people will stop freaking out.

If people stopped watching FOX news and listening to far right pundits and started listening to reason and logic they would stop being so paranoid

thanks for the good debate

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 07:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by DirtyD

I'm not paranoid, and I don't think anyone's coming after me, nor do I think the letter is threatening. I do think it stinks of intimidation and hypocrisy, it is meant to foster the mindset that guns are bad and those who own them should be treated like criminals.

It doesn't even suggest any of the things you just said, you're trying to make something out of nothing.

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 07:21 PM
link   
reply to post by DirtyD

I'm not reading any threats in that letter. I read it as they are reminding you to use your gun responsibly and if you want to sell it or transfer ownership of for any reason, that there are certain procedures or regulations that need to be followed for that transfer to take place. I know that you already had to take a test on all that stuff but isn't it everyone's best interest to make sure that new gun owners are reminded one more time?

You can read it as a threat but I honestly don't see it that way. What good would it do to threaten anyway?

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 07:52 PM
link   
reply to post by DirtyD

So what's the big deal? You're reading way too much into this. I'm glad they have laws like that. I'm sure everyone who buys a gun gets that letter. Much ado about nothing.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join