It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bought a Gun, Got a Letter from the Attorney General

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 07:14 AM
link   
Oh noes !

You just legally purchased a weapon capable of killing other people, and *they* dare to send you a letter about it.
So... what's the problem exactly ? You feel... intimidated ? Because you recieved a letter advising you not to sell it to criminals, or let your kid play with it ? I don't really think Orwell has any cause for turning in his grave right now....

Please, gun people, stop being such drama-queens. It makes you look far less like responsible adults, and a lot more like whiny emotional teenagers. Which is worrying, because, need I remind you, you own deadly weapons. And no one wants whiny emotional teenagers to own guns.

edit on 15-4-2013 by Ismail because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 07:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by benrl

Originally posted by GreenGlassDoor
Reply to post by clearmind

The background check takes like an hour.

CA has a "cooling off" period of 10 days.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

10 days is long rifle and shot gun, 30 days for a hand gun, each time I purchased my guns had to wait a month to get them.

Are you speaking of Kalifornia or Oregon?
Because Kali is 10 days rifle pistol or shotgun.
That is unless something has changed in the past 60 or 90 days.
Either that or you really need to seek another dealer.

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 07:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ismail
Oh noes !

You just legally purchased a weapon capable of killing other people, and *they* dare to send you a letter about it.

Okay, so why aren't letters sent out for crossbows, knives, baseball bats? etc. Or cars for that matter. Cars actually cause more deaths than firearms do.

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 07:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Xaphan

Oh noes !

Okay, so why aren't letters sent out for crossbows, knives, baseball bats? etc. Or cars for that matter. Cars actually cause more deaths than firearms do.

Exactly. They should start sending letters to all car owners. You have to carry insurance for a reason.

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 07:58 AM
link   

Oh noes !

What a brilliant analogy, very original. The handgun was designed with one intent in mind - to injure or kill another human being.

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 08:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by cripmeister

Oh noes !

What a brilliant analogy, very original. The handgun was designed with one intent in mind - to injure or kill another human being.

Implying other projectile weapons and melee weapons weren't. I really don't think that the person who created the first crossbow did so with the intent of shooting paper targets.

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 08:18 AM
link   
reply to post by DirtyD

I had to wait ten days for my federal background check to clear yet within two days the city D.A. had already been made aware of my purchase and generated a letter.

Well, the background check involves actual humans to be involved. The letter was auto-generated by the purchase, so not so surprising there. You're purchasing a gun in a major metropolitan center, known for gang crimes, did you think it would be easy? Should have bought it elsewhere, then brought it home..

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 08:21 AM
link   
reply to post by DirtyD

Talk about Orwellian.

Glad I don't and never will live in a state like that.

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 08:56 AM
link   
I don't see this as intimidation. Its so you are aware of the laws in your city. Everybody else who purchased a gun got one. Its to remind you of the laws to protect others. What's wrong with that?

Do you want this gun and want to be able to make up your own rules?
Sounds like you do.
I suggest you take this more seriously and drop the attitude or return the gun.

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 08:59 AM
link   

The second amendment was designed with one intent in mind... to allow people to defend themselves from others who, probably wouldn't care about laws and regulations and ridiculous form letters , who would gladly aim one at you at some point to get your stuff. The FACT is, the "state" doesn't want you to be able to defend yourself, the "state" doesn't want you to have any safety beyond what THEY can provide. Because by God if you could effectively defend yourself, how many of them would be out of a job, maybe these Politicians and "Attorney Generals" would actually have to go out and do some real work in the world. And we can't have that, no sir.

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 09:17 AM
link   
reply to post by DirtyD

So OP bought his self a hand gun just like he should be allowed to do. Now, report it stolen, before they come and grab it !

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 09:20 AM
link   
And another thing, the state has no right to threaten you if you've done nothing wrong.

"you could be subject to criminal prosecution"

Yeah but that's ok, they've been doing this already for so long with other things, most people think it's just dandy.

What a load.
edit on 15-4-2013 by elcapitano75 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 09:30 AM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

Or he could just say, it slipped across the border and now some mexican drug lord has his gun.

They'd probably give him a job at homeland security.

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 10:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by FatherStacks
Clinical retardation must be a prerequisite for government work. A responsible, sane person needs no reminder about "responsible gun ownership" and the noodniks that are likely to shoot up a mall, school, church, etc wouldn't pay two-seconds worth of attention to such a letter. Who in the hell buys a gun, then needs a letter from the attorney general to say to themselves, "I have a weapon, maybe these fellows are correct, I should be really responsible." Waste of time, wast of money to send out a letter pointing out a self-evident concept. I agree, with you DirtyD, it smells of intimidation...or a really lame PR move...what else could it be?

The actions of politicians are not designed to be effective....they are meant to illustrate "we did something".

Pretty sad, but this is the reason so much legislation is total BS and doesnt work. It is a PR move to show that something was done. There is no follow up to determine success or failure of intent (such as a private company would do) and then adjust the program as needed to achieve success.....they (the politicos) just need to show that they "did something".

This is why we need to get the govt out of our lives and keep them from meddling in crap they have no business meddling in. Our health system is about to go to the dogs... Already the initial phases are being called inefficient and ineffective.

After all....the war on drugs and poverty has been soooo successful that now we want them to provide healthcare for all. Can you say "massive clusterkcuf"? The healthcare in this nation will never be the same...in a bad way.

Govt should stick to constitutionally mandated areas of responsibility.

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 10:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by violet
I don't see this as intimidation. Its so you are aware of the laws in your city. Everybody else who purchased a gun got one. Its to remind you of the laws to protect others. What's wrong with that?

Do you want this gun and want to be able to make up your own rules?
Sounds like you do.
I suggest you take this more seriously and drop the attitude or return the gun.

As stated in the OP he had to take a test to show that he was "aware of the laws". This is typical of any level of govt...they need an excuse to take your money, and the more they spend on BS the more money they can take from you to fund said BS. Then, when something happens (like a nutcase with a gun) they can point to the letter as if they have done their due diligence.

Speaking of nutcase with a gun...now we have a nutcase with a knife. Perhaps we should ban all knives while we are at it. After all: People don't kill people, guns and knives do.

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Reply to post by DirtyD

Funny story about that fee. Per the CA Constitution if an agency generates a surplus its a tax and not a fee. A tax has a whole different thing in how its implemented.

Well that fee has been generating a surplus, instead of at cost, and the state is being sued for having a tax and now they're trying to spend that money as fast as possible so they don't have to reduce the fee.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 10:34 AM
link   
"Law" may have existed, in theory.

But after what this Govt did to it, I wouldn't be able to tell.

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 10:41 AM
link   
Cali AG is a Obama fan, therefore a gun grabber. The AG was that lady that Obama ended up apologizing to.

During a fundraising swing through California, Obama gushed that Harris was “by far the best-looking attorney general,” while also calling her brilliant, dedicated and tough.
Obama Apologizes to ‘Best-Looking’ CA Attorney General
She is buddies with the Obama's therefore they overstep the line and feel it is their right. Intimidating and dictating to the public is nothing new for them.

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 10:51 AM
link   
The American electorate generally, and in states such as CA in particular, have made their decision - twice, with malice aforethought I suppose, insofar as the progressively Marxist nature of the body politic finds its expression in the choices they have made whose openly stated intentions are to dismantle the 'outmoded' Constitution along with the 'inconvenient' Bill of Rights. Hence, leftists such as B. H. Obama and Jerry Brown respectively, now occupy seats of power as direct manifestations of "the will of the people," to which we, as the more conservative and /or libertarian members of that same aforementioned constituency(s) are now beholden.

Too bad for us 'right' thinking' people whose vote counted for not very much in these two elections past. How are things looking for the near future you might ask? Bleak I say.

edit on 15-4-2013 by POXUSA because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 10:52 AM
link   
reply to post by DirtyD

I wonder if the "Criminals" who commit the majority of the crimes stated on that letter got one also.. Oh yea I forgot that the "Criminals" do not care one squat about laws..

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join