It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ammo Shortage, I Didn't Believe It, So I Checked...

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 01:24 PM
link   
I kept reading these threads about the shortage and hearing people like Alex Jones talking about the shortage, so i verified it with pictures myself.

Those are the two pictures i took of where the ammo should be at the local Wal-Mart. We also went to a few local shops with hunting supplies and apparently they are out of 22 caliber ammo. We asked whats going on and they said there is a shortage on supply because of the massive government buys. I couldn't believe it.

What in the world is going on on this planet?
edit on 13-4-2013 by onequestion because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 01:32 PM
link   
It has been this way since right after the Sandy Hook shooting. Getting ammo is beyond ridiculous and when you do find it the prices are 3-10X what they were less than six months ago. It's not getting any easier to get ammo yet, but at least the firearms shelves are starting to get stocked again.

Part of the problem with the ammo shortage is people waiting for the shipments to come in and then buying it all up only to turn around and mark it up 50-100% and list it on one of the many shooting forums or craigslist for sale.

posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 01:34 PM
link   
You probably turned up more than 5 mins after the truck dropped off whatever they had for the store, from what i read the companies are producing at almost 24x7 so you need to know when the stuff gets delivered and be 1st in line if you want it...but the real problem is since theres a shortage which means people will horde more than they need which in turn reduces the amount for the rest....now the real solutions are either not buy excess ammo or the ammo companies need to up production which will mean an increased price of ammo as they need to cover the extra costs of staffing and gearing up

posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpaDe_

Part of the problem with the ammo shortage is people waiting for the shipments to come in and then buying it all up only to turn around and mark it up 50-100% and list it on one of the many shooting forums or craigslist for sale.
It's easy money. Why shouldn't we be buying and reselling it? There is no law against it; YET.

posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 01:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxatoria

My little brother is a bit of a craftsman so he was telling me while we were there we should start our own company and sell them locally.

posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 01:38 PM
link   
I've already witnessed this over the past few months, Although I haven't supplied pictures such as you have. It's pretty funny that a lot of people around this forum would lead you to believe that these are all false rumors, and that the government wouldn't do such a thing.. and they went to their local walmart and saw a few boxes of shells and equate that to what they would consider "in stock"

The evidence is clear on this whole ammo shortage gun debate thing, but people still want to believe nothing is happening, or they just don't care and like to add fuel to the fire..

posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 01:46 PM
link   
reply to post by onequestion

If you can get the parts....in some places they're as rare as the ammo itself

posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 01:49 PM
link   
reply to post by eXia7

Yeah thats why i checked it out. I always check things out for myself and i like to share my results. I realize this thread is kind of late but evidence is evidence.

posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maxatoria

I think the primers are the hardest things to get. The brass, the lead, and the powder are all still "fairly easy" to get, Compared to finished ammo, I mean.

posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by DarthMuerte
It's easy money. Why shouldn't we be buying and reselling it? There is no law against it; YET.

That attitude is why I am glad that retailers are starting to put limits on the amount of ammo that can be purchased at one time so that everyone can have a chance to get some. Wiping out the retailers stock to make a quick buck keeps shooters on a budget from shooting and it perpetuates the shortage.

posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maxatoria

Wow, crazy. We should be covering this just as heavily.

posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 01:54 PM
link   

As long as you have the brass. Powder, primers and bullets are not that difficult to get now, but if you don't already have the brass, forget it.

posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 01:54 PM
link   
It's not so much a "shortage" as it is people just buying it up when it arrives

It also depends what your looking for.

.22 is hard to get because its already the cheapest rifle bullet, and virtually EVERYONE has a .22. I know lots of people that aren't really "gun people" but they can pull something that shoots .22 out of the closet.

.223/5.56mm is hard to find because its what (most) AR platforms shoot, which are really popular, particularly since its the "most likely to be banned". Also everyone who wants to fight any sort of NWO/UN/tyrannical govt wet dream scenario is stocking up and waiting.

9mm, .40 and .45 cal are the most common semi auto hand gun rounds, and people are buying them for the same reason above. .40 is probably the shortest of the 3 due to that being the bulk of the big DHS buy. 9mm is very common, but can still be found. .357, .38 special and other rounds used primarily in revolvers is pretty easy to find in most cases as well.

HOWEVER....shotgun shells are everywhere. No one seems to be hoarding much of that. If a shotgun is you "go to" gun you might get that. Also I find a lot of .243, .270, .30-.30, 7mm, .30-06 and usually .308. These are your typical bolt guns hunters use (but also make great "sniper" rifles) and sense no one is banning those (right now) also in good supply.

Wal Mart always seems to be stripped bare, but they don't typically stock a lot either. Academy Sports usually has a good supply, although .223 goes pretty fast.

posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Kinda scary...huh...

Looks like the shelves at all 3 Walmarts I went to in my surrounding area. Was told they haven't a clue when, and if, new supplies would be coming in. I even asked if there was a waiting list I could sign up for to be notified when new shipments arrived. They just looked at me like I was crazy. One even told me, management had told him he'd be fired if he let friends and relative know ahead of others. And that he as a store employee, couldn't buy out of incoming stock.

The only thing they did have in limited stock was standard shotgun shells for hunting...nothing for any handguns.

It does drive it home, when you see it with your own eyes.

Des

edit on 13-4-2013 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Destinyone

Looks like the shelves at all 3 Walmarts I went to in my surrounding area. Was told they haven't a clue when, and if, new supplies would be coming in. I even asked if there was a waiting list I could sign up for to be notified when new shipments arrived. They just looked at me like I was crazy. One even told me, management had told him he'd be fired if he let friends and relative know ahead of others. And that he as a store employee, couldn't buy out of incoming stock.
They know when the truck is coming in. I have connections who call me when the stuff arrives, before it goes out on the floor. I also compensate them for their efforts though. Did you ask? or did you have Andy Jackson ask? It makes a difference who is asking in my experience.

posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 02:14 PM
link   
reply to post by DarthMuerte

No...I didn't offer any bribes to get first dibs on incoming ammo.....

Des

posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 02:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Destinyone

Yeah things have been getting weird lately.

There are plenty of shotgun shells around if you know what i mean, not worried about those anymore, but the shotgun isn't an end all be all to self defense, hunting, and any sort of collective end of world scenario action where we have to be organized.

posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Well it appears that there is actually more ammo being produced than ever and being bought up just as quick as it can be.

This means that there is more ammunition in private hands than at any other time in our nations history. I'd say that the push for gun-control is having a completely opposite effect as the nation is becoming armed to the teeth.

posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpaDe_
It has been this way since right after the Sandy Hook shooting. Getting ammo is beyond ridiculous and when you do find it the prices are 3-10X what they were less than six months ago. It's not getting any easier to get ammo yet, but at least the firearms shelves are starting to get stocked again.

really its been going on longer then that, I shoot a .308, and for the past few years ive watched it get harder and harder to find ammo, and what I could find the price has SKYrocketed

Granted its jumped hugely since sandy hook no denying that, you cant hardly find it anymore at all now......

But this has been a slow progression........they just needed something to justify that final push.....

To anyone who has been watching the market on guns and ammo, for the past 3 years or so this is not a surprise..........its down right disturbing.........and only further solidifies suspicions of whats going on.....

posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Yeah - this isn't a new developement...it's been like this since December.

At first it included the guns to go with them as well but those appear to be available again, abeit @ double the previous price for firearms like the AR, AK or 10/22.

In my locale, the 3 hardest ammo calibers to get are .22 LR, 9mm & .223/5.56

Cheaper than dirt has everything in stock except the .22 LR super sonic rounds but the prices make me laugh & walk out.

Tula 115g 9mm - steel case FMJ is $50/50 round box - used to be $8-$9/box

The only .22 LR they have is the sub-sonic stuff that won't cycle in a semi-auto @ the ridiculous price or $80/box - used to be $22/box

5.56 M855 surplus (also the S109) used to be about $6-$8/20 round box - now they're asking $35/box

They're the only shop I've been in recently that actually has those calibers on the shelves but I think it's just because nobody in their right mind is going to pay those prices....

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join