It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ammo Shortage, I Didn't Believe It, So I Checked...

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 12:11 AM
link   
One more thing to consider when trying to stock-up on ammo (when you can find it, never seen it this bad in 40+ years), it may be in your best interest to avoid Lead-Free Primers.

Shelf life starts to fall off as soon as 3 years and the misfires/failures steadily increase every year there after.

Great method to severely limit the people's ability to stockpile ammo...

Here is an interesting report on lead-free primers:
bulletin.accurateshooter.com...

Something to think about, especially if your life may depend on it.

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 12:13 AM
link   
Hoarding is exacerbating the problem (and buying excess to resell at a profit). Some stores therefore are putting limits (ie 2 boxes) on some calibres or all ammo.

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 12:21 AM
link   
this and fracking are the two major economy boosters

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 12:58 AM
link   
There's definantly still an ammo shortage out there, but it's not as bad as a couple months ago. Some ammo has started showing up more and more often. I made a thread a couple weeks ago about ammo starting to come back in my area. www.abovetopsecret.com...

That thread is from the end of last month, so here's what Ive been seeing the past week. As usual, I took my trip down to Cabela's on Thursday. Just as they have for the past few weeks, 7.62x39 stock was overflowing. There were some 40 S&W on the shelves, and also quite alot of .223 PMC Bronze and that X-tact green tip stuff. Also, Ive been seeing 7.62x39 on the shelves of Walmart, Dicks, and Academy pretty steadily the past couple weeks in addition to Cabela's. .308 was also packed on the shelves at Cabela's. (Cabelas is also getting a pretty steady flow of AR's in. Saw a Windham Weaponry AR going for a bit over $900. Another local shop has DPMS Oracles going for roughly $700)

Atleast in my area, (North Texas), pretty much everything is starting to come back. My local gun range has been pretty stocked with almost all types of ammo lately, even .22. Some types of ammo are coming back in greater quantity than others (such as .308 and 7.62x39), while others are slowly coming back (such as .22 and 9mm).

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 01:26 AM
link   
FWIW

I call BS on all those saying it's consumer demand. The argument of "it's people buying it all as soon as the truck gets to the store" is BOGUS.

I have a relative who owns a chain of seven gun shops. He has not had a truck stock ANY AMMO in the following sizes for the last month and a half:

9mm
5.7x28mm

He has been able to stock .38, .45, .223, .308, and 7mm. But even then he says shipments are much smaller than what he was getting in December '12. He has raised prices on his gun sales to compensate for his loss of revenue on ammo. He has been sending the ammo he does get to the stores that have ranges. Four of the seven stores have ranges, and because he can't get ammo, he's had to temporarily shut one of the ranges down and was forced to fire the range staff there. He is considering shutting down two additional ranges, leaving him with one range where he can consolidate all his ammo sales. He said he's selling guns like never before but people are not shooting, they are hoarding their lead. He has in no uncertain terms recommended I do the same, and I pass that information on to the community. It's no lie, lead is scarce, even for dealers.

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 01:29 AM
link   
reply to post by onequestion

Looks like gun control by a different method !

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 06:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by MrJohnSmith

Looks like gun control by a different method !

What's the point of guns with no ammo? Hope everybody had enough stored away already

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 08:17 AM
link   

I wonder what would happen if we all just stopped buying it for a while ? Just refuse to pay a crazy price !

Yeah....We would have to stop shooting for a while. But what else will we do ?

You must have a few rounds to the good by now, how many do you need ?

Let the guys on Gun Brokers sit on that stuff for a while. Let the guys that own the sporting goods stores sit on it.

I would bet my last box of 9mm, the price would come down, and what do you know ! There is reasonable price ammo around again.

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 08:23 AM
link   
massive government buy up ? that was a hoax

the industry is profiting from the fear and paranoia

like telling you it was from a massive govt buy up

sad

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 11:21 AM
link   

My little brother is a bit of a craftsman so he was telling me while we were there we should start our own company and sell them locally.

Problem is, even hard to find the supplies to MAKE them yourself, if you were so inclined.
It isn't that they are selling out, they simply aren't getting them in.....at least at my local WalMart. They also limit the boxes to 3 per person....though not like it matters since they have none anyhow.

Hunting is a big thing here, we have about 12' of shelf space, the full shelf high, dedicated to ammo in that WalMart, and it has had only about two types of ammo .410 and 7mm, for weeks and weeks.

To another:

and because he can't get ammo, he's had to temporarily shut one of the ranges down and was forced to fire the range staff there. He is considering shutting down two additional ranges, leaving him with one range where he can consolidate all his ammo sale

Which is another major issue here. Regardless of the cause of the problem, it is causing issues like this all over the country.

Worse yet, as of Feb, most analysts were saying it will take 6-8 months to see more normal levels returning.
edit on 15-4-2013 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2013 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Doesn't anyone understand how to reload?

It's like recycling but with bullets, all you need is the gunpowder and you can reuse brass, buy the primers and a press. It's something everyone should be doing, or else it's just as bad as littering.

Like one of my kids crying because there isn't enuff paper to make a paper airplane, I tell em to reuse the last one or tear a page out of a newspaper, ditto sheet, useless reminder for something, a bill.

Now why aren't we being just as resourceful? There is no shortage of ammo, only a shortage of common sense.

posted on May, 5 2013 @ 01:22 PM
link   
Is it true that 22 hollow points are becoming next to impossible to find let alone buy? And is it also true that the price if you can find a box has risen sky high?

posted on May, 5 2013 @ 07:48 PM
link   
reply to post by antar

Yes to both questions. You will have more luck finding them locally than online, but if you wish to look online here is a link to a site that shows the current in stock supply and price for some of the largest online ammunition retailers.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join