It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

RT NEWS Breaking: N. Korean missile launchpad moved into firing attitude - reports

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 09:58 AM
link   
I still think he's mostly a figurehead, and a lot of what he's saying and doing is likely coming from his generals, not him. Especially given those psych evals.

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 10:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

If it is a nuclear warhead, most logical to shoot it down in boost phase. Else you do have the risk of an EMP-type weapon going off outside your engagement envelope.

You may be right. I have no idea what US would do.

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 10:21 AM
link   
reply to post by babygurl2013

I'm not sure if the THAAD system is in Guam yet but the missiles are on the East coast of NK and pointing upwards so they are going for distance. I don't know what that will do as far as making it possible for Japan to shoot it down. The estimated distance for the Musudan has it capable of reaching Guam but that doesn't really jive with where they positioned the missiles on the East coast and pointing eastward. Could hit in the middle of the ocean unless all those experts have been vastly underestimating NK's nuclear capabilities. Even if it should, by chance, make it to the West Coast, we have missile defense systems in Washington and California to knock them out of the sky. Hawaii is another state between us and NK but the US has deployed early detection and missile defenses in Hawaii already. They did it a few years ago out of concern for NK. Anything gets near any of our soil, we should be able to shoot it down.

The US has been trying to prevent other countries from developing nuclear weaponry for decades. That's fine and good for those countries who are not on the "outs" with the US and its allies. It's like the NBC report that I posted last night. The US has been telling former enemies and countries with whom its diplomatic ties with are poor that they would be safer without such weapons. However, I'd say that the invasion of Iraq kind of shot down that particular line. What I see is going on is a phenomenal chess game where NK, should they manage to drop a missile in the middle of the ocean, will basically either force us into a war or a stalemate. Once they show that they have distance capability, the game changes entirely. We didn't fare well in NK during the Korean War and NK has only become a deeply militarized state since then. Toss in long range nuclear weapons and that basically brings them a seat at the table, which could be exactly what Kim wants to do. The US can't just simply nuke NK in response. King, the psychoanalyst, was right on the mark when he said that Kim is using a double bind. The NBC report showed stress in our country and Japan while North Koreans were waltzing in the street. It's that simple but we're kind of stuck stressing a bit about this; hence, pretty darn sure it's a double bind strat. Actual nuclear contact with US soil though--unlikely.

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by HigherLearningSociety
Test or no test- this launch will start the war- as everyone is ordered to shoot it down- no matter what it is,

Its my understanding that if its heading into the Pacific Ocean, it won't be intercepted because its only a test. If its heading to US. alies or US. Bases it will be shot down.

(CNN) -- North Korea has raised at least one missile into its upright firing position, feeding concerns that a launch is imminent, a U.S. official told CNN Thursday.

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 10:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by all2human
If something was going to happen it would have by now,i'm completely withdrawing from the idea that armed conflict will take place.This has just been an epic tantrum on the part of the NK govt
sleep well ATSers

That really reminds me of the one kid that always assumed first that the Cherry Bomb that didn't explode was a dud and just as they bent over to retrieve it.......BOOM.

Your post will make much more sense on 4/16/2013 *hint* Happy Birthday

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by DarKPenguiN

Originally posted by hp1229
reply to post by DarKPenguiN

China is a BRIC nation- This is all about banking Systems...really. The USA wants this # (not China nor DPRK)- But as more nations sign on to the briCs (even mexico possibly) they essentially are dumping the Dollar and petro-Dollar
Funny how you left out SA from BRICS. So then it will not be BRIC(S) anymore if mexico, egypt, syria all inquired to join the BRIC(S)?
What do you think the aim of EURO is/was ? Do you seriously think the BRIC(S) or BRICSMSEDHWEOGEWLG that may become eventually will not face the same issues as EURO? Just a general thought.

LOL- TY. And No. The Bric(s) lol will not face anything like the euro (for now or the near future) if they become the Worlds Reserve currency used for oil. The Euro was destined to fail (not by some conspiracy either) as was the fiat dollar (and I am not a gold or silver guy)-
-This s a banking war that has to happen so that we (the West) retain dominance or quickly fade.
Personally I think the entire BRICS thing will only go so far. There are too many factors to consider amongst the member countries and their economies. Their political system, economic volume, labor and trade unions, tariffs etc which have to come to an agreement as they borrow the money from each other's pool called BRICS bank. But its a different topic for a different thread

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 10:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zaphod58
reply to post by Plan2exist18

You talking about in the US? Won't happen, since their subs can't reach here. The Romeo class boats could, but they'd have to travel all the way across the Pacific, at like 9 or 11 knots (which means a really freaking long time), snorkeling their way across, and our sub and P-3 crews be totally asleep at the switches and completely miss them (they're old and noisy to begin with). They also can't launch missiles, so what kind of jab could they give? None of the DPRK boats could launch missiles, and with the exception of the Romeo class, their longest ranged boat is 1500 miles.

They can if towed by shipping vessels from China.

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 10:53 AM
link   
Well, well.
Heres a what if for ya.
NK has a Nuke tipped missle. They launch it and it miss fires and the explosive package to ignite the Nuke blows also. They might just have an explosion that would cripple them for along time. OR>
They are just testing the missle and the targeting goes haywire and ends up going over Japan. Of course Japan will launch interceptors and the US to. NK gets really pissed and rolls in Arty and short range missles with Chems or gas and 1 million man army, Soul kinda becomes a death zone. The there will be War on their land until someone goes to far and sets off a Nuke.
Meanwhile China is prepared to take Tiawan and we will be forced to let them have it in exchange for releasing our debt or releasing,.......an EMP or Nuke on them. Of course Red China is behind NK though they for the press say they are getting short with NK. No way they want Tiawan badly enough to start a shell game with their adopted country RED KOREA and RED CHINA are really one in the same. That Fat Kid is absolutely nuts if he actually thinks he could take down the USA. Maybe harm some but destroy forget it. Even if we don't have money for War we will have Money for War.
Remember who ever we are at War with we won't owe them a RED CENT> And I think Greed plays a large part in China. Gotta keep almost 2 billion people happy somehow, Right?

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 11:05 AM
link   
If Iraq under Sadam Hussien had nukes, the theocratic politics of that region would have changed dramatically, because the 1200 years old religious sectarian strife will be played out with nukes, between those who are Sunni majority in the land or Shia majority in the land, with stateless actors using suicide nuke bombers instead of dynamite suicide bombers, sent around the world to prevent any RULE of LAW being institutionalised till whichever sect dominates Mecca and the arab world.

For all the flaws of US intervention in Iraq, logic tells us that if there had been no intervention, our world today would not have been the same. Nukes are dangerous toys.

Even Russia and China knows that, and USA is not alone in not wanting nuke proliferation. Fatboy kim of unstable North Korea can play all the games he wants, but the endgame is and will still be the same - he wont have nukes, for the UN Security Council will act.

Unification or no unification of Korea is of no major concern with Russia and China, both states that believe in economics than political idealogies.

But NUKES is the major concern, for with that proven unstable and unreliable Kim dynasty, whom had played both sides against one another for decades, will not be trusted, even if Fatboy Kim were to today grovel on hands and knees to kiss the feets of President Xi and Putin.

Fatboy Kim can waltz or rumba all he wants now, for he will be 6ft underground dead and still soon, if he still does not wake up to realities.

edit on 11-4-2013 by SeekerofTruth101 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 11:11 AM
link   
reply to post by DarKPenguiN

what do you mean by the americans would never go along with it if they knew what the NK and USA war is really about?

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 11:20 AM
link   
reply to post by SeekerofTruth101

Without a doubt, nukes are a game changer though I doubt that they would be as much of a game changer in NK's region though South Korea wants the US to give it nuclear weapons now. Not fond of that because of the NK's proximity and militarization. If NK invaded, not sure how well SK would fare and then those nukes would be in NK's hands. Bad idea, very bad. The fact that they do change the game is probably why NK is pushing things to the limit right now. It's almost like a staring game and the US blinked.

In a lot of ways, we kind of brought this on ourselves. The attitude of NK towards us has been hostile since the Korean War but everything that we've done since then has only maintained or exacerbated that hostility. If you think back about the news coverage that we've been giving NK here, we went from blatant disregard and an almost mocking response to NK's demands that the war games stop and now, here we are with our government getting a bit nervous. Look at it this way. Disregard what NK actually is for a second just to try to get some perspective of where they may view it from theirs. Let's just say you're a small isolated country and every year, your former enemy and your Southern neighbor play war games off your coast that create large amounts of military activity and the arrival of more military just South of you. How keen on that would you be? If one of my neighbors that I had disagreements with in the past was pointing a gun at my house every year, I'd be a little freaked.

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by ElohimJD

You talking about in the US? Won't happen, since their subs can't reach here. The Romeo class boats could, but they'd have to travel all the way across the Pacific, at like 9 or 11 knots (which means a really freaking long time), snorkeling their way across, and our sub and P-3 crews be totally asleep at the switches and completely miss them (they're old and noisy to begin with). They also can't launch missiles, so what kind of jab could they give? None of the DPRK boats could launch missiles, and with the exception of the Romeo class, their longest ranged boat is 1500 miles.

I was going to give you a star for making me laugh, but maybe you were being serious.
If NK was hell bent on blowing up a nuke in the U.S. they would just put it in a shipping container before they would ever put it in one of their subs to get towed to the U.S.

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
I still think he's mostly a figurehead, and a lot of what he's saying and doing is likely coming from his generals, not him. Especially given those psych evals.

I'm inclined to agree, I have seen reports from analysts suggesting that it's his aunt and uncle really running the show there, and I think both are senior figures in the military family.

But this is all more of the same uncertainty really, isn't it? I don't think our leaders should be going on "possibilities", we should be going on concrete fact.

If we do that, whatever NK fires from its shores should be shot down within moments without a second thought. The nation has threatened nuclear attacks on others, that in itself is enough of an excuse to blast out of the sky anything that leaves their land, without hesitation.

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by WhiteAlice
Look at it this way. Disregard what NK actually is for a second just to try to get some perspective of where they may view it from theirs. Let's just say you're a small isolated country and every year, your former enemy and your Southern neighbor play war games off your coast that create large amounts of military activity and the arrival of more military just South of you. How keen on that would you be? If one of my neighbors that I had disagreements with in the past was pointing a gun at my house every year, I'd be a little freaked.

If someone was pointing a gun at my house, I will sure as hell find out WHY. Humans do not act without reasons unless they are insane. If it had been a misunderstanding, my neighbour and I will have to resolve them, find common ground and learn to live in peace, then to be pointing guns at each other for life.

Your one second of me suspending logic over NK is up.

The animosity of NK towards USA is all because of american intervention in 1950 when power lusting grandpop kim murderously blitzkrieg upon SK and ALMOST drove SK refugees to the seas if USA and UN had not acted to stop him.

Grandpop Kim lost and hated US from then and left that lasting legacy of hatred through his kin and cronies resulting in what we see today.

SK had propered under democracy, yet the Kim regime in NK failed miserably and have to resort to lying to its citizens, clandestinely built up its nukes even while being treated with compassion by US and SK during the foolish 'sunshine policy' era.

Is this the kind of neighbour you want to live with? Most certainly not, and those military excercises were conducted, not to scare the balless kims, but to practice and train in the event NK surge forth in violence again. Such excercises are normal and regularly conducted by ALL nations with armies for training and coordination as prep for unknowns.

China, Russia, Asia, Europe, Africa, middle east, etc all do so, and EVEN NK conducts it as well, thus there is no need to use military excercises as a justification for anger and accusation.

There is absolutely NO justification for NK's belligerances, duplicities and poking the middle finger to us mankind. He must and will be held accountable, and responisible, for he shares our world. If he refuses his obligations to us all, then he is free to exile himself, no need to threaten the world with nuclear warfare and acting upon it with the intentions to kill millions of innocents.

There's only one way out of our planet. May he wakes up now.

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 12:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Res Ipsa

Originally posted by ElohimJD

I was going to give you a star for making me laugh, but maybe you were being serious.
If NK was hell bent on blowing up a nuke in the U.S. they would just put it in a shipping container before they would ever put it in one of their subs to get towed to the U.S.

Depends on whether it is their desire to create a random terrorist style explosion (shipping container), or a stategic calculated aimed strike (submarine towed in via shipping vessel).

Both scenarios result in the same outcome regarding what is about to take place, so the specific delivery method is irrelivent.

But hey, I am glad you find this funny. I don't; but I do know it to be inevidable. For this event is the sounding of the 2nd trumpet.

God Bless,

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Hopechest

I love your control, and applaud you... I am sick and tired of all the war mongering by foreign states (that includes you America), instead of spending $30mil+ a day in war efforts, think what that money could get us in sustainable energy research etc. rendering all of these invasions null and void. As for NK, I really hope that they launch without declaring a real test and they disappear from the map by retaliation, so tired of that stupid little family playing big man while keeping his own people in the most depraved poverty. If its not a allied nuke, at least let it be a allied .50 round between the eyes....although I wouldn't complain if those 2 options were offered from the Russians/Chinese.

Fingers crossed for a QUICK resolution to this maniac.

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 12:11 PM
link   
We have to be careful that at the same time we condemn North Korea, that we don't buy into "western propaganda"

Yes, there are major issues over in North Korea. We have some serious issues as well. Its just that the rest of the world got smart on how to do evil, while making the masses happy with accessible wealth etc.

Here are different views on North Korea that might be eye opening. For one, I am surprised that for a country that has very little outside help, it is able to build and maintain cities like it does in the following videos. I see modern and old cars, I also see that they have modernized, but it wasn't what I was lead to believe by western alone media reports.

Have a look:

and here:

It seems to be that Korean people are very hard working people. There can be no doubt. If this is one country, North and South, it is then a very powerful country and ally of the States. The North might want to be free of the "elites" by setting up their own "elite" system, and falling pray to the very thing they wish to avoid.

The North might have been a lot more prosperous had countries traded or been allowed to trade, and had there been no sanctions against them. The people there might have a different attitude and we might well be on our way to unification.

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 12:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Rocker2013

Yup, both Jang Sung-taek and Kim Kyong-hui have a high military rank. Both of them hold the rank of "Sojang", which is a 1 star general. NK has quite a few of them but in their case it's only a honorary title. It's not the highest rank in the military, so therefore I find it doubtful that they control the military. Now if they were to have the ranks of Vice-Marshall, it would be a different story.

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 12:17 PM
link   
reply to post by ManBehindTheMask

Yes, actually they do. They have a plethora of rare earth minerals and that's why there's so much trade with China in this respect. Remember the rest of the West complaining that China has a monopoly on rare earth minerals?

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 12:19 PM
link   
I'm starting to think these missiles are made out of cardboard like the fighter jet we saw a while back.

Just call him Kim Jong Trollface.

edit on 4/11/2013 by AkumaStreak because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join