It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

new stealth power source for drones and light aircraft "The Ionic Drive"?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 03:59 PM
link   

A new study by researchers at MIT suggests that ionic thrusters aren’t just for play; they also provide a super-stealth, ultra-efficient alternative to conventional atmospheric propulsion systems.

A team of researchers led by Steven Barrett, assistant professor of aeronautics and astronautics at MIT, found that ionic wind produces 110 newtons of thrust per kilowatt, which is significantly greater than a jet engine’s two newtons per kilowatt thrust.

www.technewsdaily.com...

I can imagine all kinds of uses, shapes, and sizes if the power supply question is resolved.
The efficiency of the drive is really impressive.

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 05:08 PM
link   
reply to post by 727Sky

Hmm maybe they will be building military grade ION lifters too? Um pretty sure that is what UFO's were speculated to be powered by...

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 06:34 PM
link   
reply to post by abeverage

Since the first time I saw one demo I was intrigued but my excitement decreased when I found out it would not work in a vacuum..shucks...Anyway, with the fully certifiable results with regards to efficiency it got my attention again............ along with others in the defense industry.

edit on 10-4-2013 by 727Sky because: spelling

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 06:45 PM
link   
I recall an experiment from my mid sixties junior scientist conquer the universe mad scientiste set:
an ignition coil, straws, bb's, wires, rubberbands, shaped like a rocket, and all hung like a pendulum from a string, and set against a scale

the ion drive showed motive force which was measured by the rocket's (pendulum) movement along the scale
I was under the impression it was considered an IDEAL space drive, and it wouldn't generate enough thrust for high resistance atmospheric travel...
( ps: using the sun as gravitational force while powering up the solar cells..or those new capacitors I just read about around here somewhere last week )
edit on 10-4-2013 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

also remember those little black and silver flags on a spindle in a vacum in a clear paperweight thingies?
they developed ionic thrust from sun light shining on the black side of the vanes, while pushing off ions on the silver sides..I think they had to have a vacumn to function...again air resistance
edit on 10-4-2013 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 07:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by 727Sky

I can imagine all kinds of uses, shapes, and sizes if the power supply question is resolved.
The efficiency of the drive is really impressive.

See also: distributed propulsion systems. Don't think They® aren't already looking at designing it in.

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 07:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by abeverage

Hmm maybe they will be building military grade ION lifters too? Um pretty sure that is what UFO's were speculated to be powered by...

And here I thought UFOs were supposed to be extraterrestrial. Lifters (or ion thrusters that use atmosphere for a working fluid) don't work in a vacuum.

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 08:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bedlam

Originally posted by abeverage

And here I thought UFOs were supposed to be extraterrestrial. Lifters (or ion thrusters that use atmosphere for a working fluid) don't work in a vacuum.

Yes because in space they shift gears from IT (Ion Thruster) to ID (Ion Drive)... And then cruise around the solar systems.

Careful shifting into HP (Hyper Drive) without plotting your course though NAV computer! Traveling through hyperspace ain't like dusting crops, boy! Without precise calculations we could fly right through a star, or bounce too close to a supernova and that'd end your trip real quick, wouldn't it.
edit on 11-4-2013 by abeverage because: star wars...of course!

posted on Apr, 12 2013 @ 01:17 PM
link   
soooo....

why can you not use a jet turbine to generate electricity to power the ion drive

I'm no engineer, but someone here might have an idea if that would work

posted on Apr, 12 2013 @ 01:23 PM
link   
reply to post by 727Sky

Hm, there's some problems, though:

However, both Allen and Barrett acknowledge that there are some drawbacks to using ionic thrusters to power even small vehicles.

For one thing, thrusters would have to be huge in order to create enough thrust to get aircraft with off the ground. Lift off would also require a lot of voltage, which would have to be supplied by lightweight power sources-like solar panels.

So far solar cells aren't very efficient. Well, thanks for the info anyway - I knew they were thinking about using ionic thrusters in space, I didn't know these thrusters were also usable in our atmosphere! Thanks! S&F.

posted on Apr, 12 2013 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by maintainright
soooo....

why can you not use a jet turbine

Don't jet turbines require combustible? I think those guys are trying to avoid using combustible - otherwise they'd just dump a turbo-reactor in their drone instead of using a reaction turbine to power a reactor.

edit on 12-4-2013 by swan001 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2013 @ 02:51 PM
link   
I like your thinking

i'll take two small reactors please

go easy on the lead lining, these babies are unmanned
edit on 12-4-2013 by maintainright because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 04:31 PM
link   
Nuclear batteries could be useful with such a system
phys.org...
Possibly the new LENR NASA is designing that trans mutates elements
futureinnovation.larc.nasa.gov...
Although the process is not energy positive yet, NASA is trying to do the same thing.

top topics

join