It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Energy weapons

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 3 2004 @ 01:53 AM
link   
Does any one know how long it would take to build a particle weapon or neutrino beam device, saying you had the skill and materials.

posted on Nov, 3 2004 @ 01:59 AM
link   
There is no such thing yet!

You probably don't even know the materials needed,but if you manage to make one,tell me about it

posted on Nov, 3 2004 @ 05:12 AM
link   
a partical weapon would us a ellectomagnetic rail-gun style weapon with a supersonic injector, fully ionised and then guided by one or more ellectron-gun beams(ions are horny for ellectrons, well only positive ions) to the intended target, but the problem is making it do some dammage, a lob of plasma is like
throwing a water-bom at a conkreete wall, it goes SPLAT unless you hold it there with more ellectron beams, and then the heat will come into play

posted on Nov, 3 2004 @ 05:52 PM
link   
Kayaroyu : railgun particle beam gun? sure, it's possible, but you would get a single spark when the cap bank discharges without a UV laser or something to ionise the gas. why would it be ions? it would be neutral particles because they would just recombine. after they are unionized. also, since you want positive ions and you are subjecting that to an electron beam (which BTW is incredibly hard to have in free air, 100kV electrons have a mean free path in air of about 1.2"), that would just make the particles neutral. supersonic injector?! injecting what exactly? the gas you are ionizing? why do you need to injuect gas? it's not gonna weld to the rails! you have been reading way too much of that Sam Barros kid's stuff. He uses a normal railgun, not some particle beam weapon. Have you even made a railgun?! just don't go around pretending you know so much about railguns. If you had built one, you would know better.

Also, to iori_komei, neutrinos? it would just pass through you harmlessly! (unless you could generate a huge pulse of e'm, but that is gonna need way more energy than you can get from a couple of power plants.) Unless you meant neutrons, which I think you meant. That's a different issue, very possible.

w4rl0rd : they have built particle beam weapons. and yes, you can obtain the materials without much difficulty. I made a mosquito burst with my "light gun", essentially focused light from xenon flas tubes. (not a laser.)

[edit on 3-11-2004 by DanD9]

posted on Nov, 3 2004 @ 06:45 PM
link   
Dan9d, I believe that the definition for a laser is any directed form of light being directed into a single spot instead of all over, a sudden burst of heat, and light to the intended target.

So technically I think you did make a laser.

But anyways, Particle Beam cannons are highly plausible, however difficult to get the damn things to actually blow something up.

Chemical Lasers or Ion cannons is the way to go.

Shattered OUT...

posted on Nov, 3 2004 @ 08:22 PM
link   
EMP can knock the fudge out of those things, unless they are EMP proof. And spending that much money on just EMP proofing it, they could spend the money and make more bombs instead.

posted on Nov, 4 2004 @ 01:01 AM
link   
Thank you for your responses especially your explanation Kayaroyu, if any one else wishes to respond please feel free to.

posted on Nov, 4 2004 @ 01:07 AM
link   
i admit that i am no quantum pysisyst (yet....) and while i dont have the resorces to build a railgun, i do understand them, and just because i am a kid dosent mean i dont have something good to add to the convesation.
Ions are good because they can be guided, making targeting that mutch easyer, and while rebonding is a possible problem, ALL of them rebonding defore they get to ther target is HIGLY improblable, and even then, Innersia will have taken over, Bullets are not self propelling now are they.
And what do you think radio waves are? ELLECTRONS. Beam dispersion is allso a problem, but once agin, full beam dispersion is unlikly, and once again, innersia will take over, allowing the particals to continue on there marry way

And a EMP is more expensive thatn a bobm, and will most likly be used more on citys and infostructure than the battle feiled, and a partical cannon is a Ion cannon with a diferent name.

Thank you for your time

XL5

posted on Nov, 4 2004 @ 01:27 AM
link   
A L.A.S.E.R is not just a spot light. Lasers are alot more complex, most need mirrors and optics to overcome losses and so the beam can bounce back and forth enough to stimulate the atoms that lase into a higher energy level.

Not to brag, but I have made many lasers and had a chance to buy a HUGE laser for dirt cheap and have the pic to prove it.

posted on Nov, 4 2004 @ 01:52 AM
link   
sorry guys, but all this talk about neutrinos and ions and such made me remember a joke i just heard, terrible at that

Two hydrogen atoms walk into a bar, and one says to the other "I've lost my electron!" the other says "Are you sure?", it replies, "Yes, I'm positive."

what a bad joke, sorry to go off topic, good thread

XL5

posted on Nov, 4 2004 @ 02:38 AM
link   
www.thaltech.com...

Click on the "large ampifier" button under the "solid state" header to see the laser I had a chance to get for $300. Dunno if I can get the photo to display, but I'll try

posted on Nov, 4 2004 @ 02:31 PM
link   
i must say that i am impressed, and if i had that mutch money to throw around i would buy one to, but staying on topic is the objective here please do so.

The largest problem is either overheating, size or beam dispersion, but is we use the railgun sugestion, to allow even a gassious state do dammage to aurmour, hovever a plasma-based shell[ish] will probably be most usefull, as it stays very stable, and cannot melt, or weld to the rails like a solid-state railgun will if porly desighned.

posted on Nov, 4 2004 @ 04:00 PM
link   
XL5, I think you got jipped, the only real tactical lasers available are in the arsenal of the military(Depends on the nation).

And I believe Chemical Lasers do not need several mirrors and optics to overcome the loss of energy through travel of light, normal lasers do, but Chemical Lasers have many compounds in them that allow the beam to remain fully powerful through the duration of the firing of it.

A plasma and Ion based laser also does not require mirrors and flass, just alot of energy.

Shattered OUT...

XL5

posted on Nov, 4 2004 @ 05:13 PM
link   
I didn't get jipped on anything, I didn't buy it for the super low price of $300. Just one flash lamp or one of the "laser medium" slabs in it would have costed $2000 new! If you looked at the link I give, you would see that my friend sold it for $2500!

wwwppd.nrl.navy.mil...

Also, chemical lasers do need mirrors, argon ion (Ar:ion) lasers also need mirrors.
members.rogers.com...

Plasma lasers don't need mirrors because the "gain" is so high that they don't need any feedback to get amplified again.

Now as rail guns go, they are not as complex as lasers but they also don't last as long even if its designed properly. Rail guns have losses and they still need lots of power they can not be fired too fast without cooling and a new set of rails, which take time to load/install. A rail gun will have its "one shot per minute" uses but will be surpassed by the laser when new, more efficient types are discovered.

Radioactive material emits alpha beta and gamma particles but it spreads out over distance, if a lens could be made for those particles then you could really make a death ray!

[edit on 4-11-2004 by XL5]

posted on Nov, 4 2004 @ 05:36 PM
link   
All matter is made of energy so if you destory it making it become enegry like spliiting an atom in atomic weapons you have an energy weapon now dont you.

posted on Nov, 5 2004 @ 12:22 AM
link   
The energy made like that is not stable enough t be utilized on a small scale, and some newwer railgun desighnes do not need new rails for each shot, and one i have seen was cooles using a water cooler hookup, it colled itself in about two minnutes back to firing temperature

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 09:54 PM
link   
Kayaroyu : Radio waves are not electrons! Also, beam dispersion can be eliminated by using a neutral beam, for example injecting electrons into a proton beam. Why do you think railguns destroy themselves on each shot? I have made tons of them. (OK, maybe they are crappy, and low powered.) Also, I am almost 14, a kid too. Stop saying I think you are un-knowledgeable bcause you are a kid.

I was playing with vaporizing aluminum foil, and the undirected plasma burnt about 30 shallow holes in my parents table.
Soon, I am going to figure out a good method of controlling the plasma, so I can burn holes in stuff from a few feet!

ShatteredSkies, it was not a laser, as XL5 said. Just a really really really bright light.

posted on Nov, 24 2004 @ 08:06 PM
link   
The amount of $$$ a particle weapon would cost though...

posted on Apr, 4 2005 @ 04:24 AM
link   
I reckon a good energy weapon would just be a tesla coil of some sort

posted on Apr, 4 2005 @ 02:29 PM
link   
No, a tesla coil would not make a good weapon, getting it to hit a target would be a problem (over comeabel mind you) and the fact that its pretty indiscriminante (sp?) Also, the ammount of Ampers you would need to melt anything would in fact destroy the whole damn thing..

Fraser

top topics

<<   2 >>

join