It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Documentaries that you Would Recommend

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 01:34 PM
link   
I have become really lazy in my old age and don't read half as much now that I have discovered YouTube. I know, I know, shame on me but it is a compulsion, and you have to admit it is better than watching soaps. Maybe.

Anyways, I need inspiration so I thought I wopuld make myself useful at the same time and kindly ask you to log some docs here on subjects that may interest ATS'ers.

I will start us off.

This is one I found a few months back featuring a journalist sneaking into NK and filming. I give it 5/5. He took the p so much he is lucky to be alive.

www.youtube.com...

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 02:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Onami

There's a wonderful doc about exotic animals kept as pets. Its called "The Elephant In The Living Room."

I tried to link it to a youtube vid, but they're all multiples so you'll have to hunt for yourself. But its a great watch.

S&F

I feel like I should add....this is a sad ending type of documentary. Just be forewarned, I cried buckets.
edit on 9-4-2013 by smyleegrl because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Thank you.

That sounds like fun, I might watch that tonight before bed. Seems like a great choice for clearing my head of a days news.

This next one that I offer is a little more dark and concentrates on the scandle surrounding Haut de la Guarenne childrens and the pidohpllies that freqent it.

This guy is a bit of a hothead but he has raised some very important issues.

www.youtube.com...

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 02:54 PM
link   
Waiting for Superman

What the BLEEP went down the rabbit hole.

Food Inc.

I'm sure there are others, those are just the ones off the top of my head.

~Tenth

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 06:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Onami

The Weeping Camel
For many of us, this will be the nearest we come to experiencing such a life.
www.youtube.com...

edit on 4/9/2013 by WanDash because: cross the i's and dot the t's

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 06:20 PM
link   
Here is one of my favorites. Its part 1 but you can find the rest on youtube also.

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 10:06 PM
link   
Exit Through the Gift Shop- Absolutely incredible documentary about art. It starts with an eccentric Frenchman documenting street artists, eventually he meets Banksy and soon things start getting weird. Some people think it's a hoax. I think it's legit, but either way it has a lot to say about the nature of art.

Anything by Jon Ronson- Jon Ronson's a pretty awesome guy. After I read his great book "Them: Adventures with Extremists" I found out they were originally documentaries from the BBC. He explores the Bilderberg Group, infilitrates Bohemian Grove, meets the people involved with Ruby Ridge, explores the Oklahoma City Bombing, hangs out with David Icke. Sometimes he puts himself in dangerous positions seeing as how he's Jewish. Ronson often takes a very moderate few of things. He never belittles his subjects, but he's never swayed by them. My favorite is his three part series that became the basis for the book and movie The Men Who Stare at Goats. You can watch the first and third parts on YouTube: www.youtube.com...

Searching for Sugarman: Just won the Best Documentary award at the 2012 Oscars. Really great documentary about the search for information on a forgotten musician.

Paradise Lost: The Child Murders at Robin Hood Hills: This is an absolutely brutal documentary about the West Memphis Three. Some children were horrifically murdered and the bumbling police railroad three local teens through the legal system. It's disgusting, not just because of what happens to the kids (there's some brief police photos of what happens, just a warning), but how inept the justice system is in this case. There's two sequels. The second one isn't bad, but is no where near as engaging.

This Film Is Not Yet Rated: Fascinating look at the MPAA, the group that assigns movies their rating. It exposes how hypocritical, biased and dishonest they are. It's on Netflix streaming.

Mr. Death: The Rise and Fall of Alfred J. Leuchter Jr.- A strange movie (but, then again it's from Werner Herzog) about a man who sets out to make execution devices more effective. He's heralded as a genius, then he gets involved in a whole different scheme.

Winnebago Man- A guy tries to track down a man who in a viral video repeatedly flips out while making a commercial for his Winnebago dealership. Surprisingly engaging.

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 04:27 AM
link   
Brother from Another Planet. It is a documentary about aliens.

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 04:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Onami

There are too many great documentaries to list. Just go to youtube and type in anything that interests you, or type in 'Full Documentaries'.

Or, go to topdocumentaryfilms.com...

posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 08:30 AM
link   
Timely documentary on what, how and why, the rational and goals of the United States Nuclear testing program,
It's called "Trinity and Beyond' is available on-line for free, and is narrated by Captain Kirk, and has some personal interviews with some of the people who tickled the dragons tail, and built the things, including Dr. Eduard Teller, co-creator of the Thermo-Nuclear Weapon. Great musical score, a look how the nuclear weapon was considered an 'option' right up until they figured out, hey, these things are dangerous, we have got to stop setting these things off! Duh! Some background on the Russian development of the weapon and the 'Czar Bomba' the biggest device ever tested in the atmosphere. This documentary is not a Pro/Con kind of thing, but is very instructional about what nukes are, how they work, and why they built these monsters in the first place.

posted on Apr, 21 2013 @ 04:36 AM
link   
King of Kong: a Fistful of Quarters, really good unexpectedly powerful look at the world of competitive gaming and two guys duking it out for the world record Donkey Kong high score.

Anything by Adam Curtis, particularly The Power of Nightmares, about the creation and cultivation of fear in modern society for political purposes. Eye-opening

new topics

top topics

join