It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Good bye Baroness Thatcher - Farewell Britain ...

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 02:17 PM
link   
I see a lot of mean spirited attitudes on this site, to those who find themselves out of work and on benefits. With even Norman Tebbit, pearls of wisdom being thrown around, like the impossible task of pulling ones self up by their bootstraps and getting on ones bike.

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 02:49 PM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

This thread was not meant to be about the rights and wrongs of Mrs Thatchers term in office or about the economic woes of the 1980s that people blame on her, rightly or wrongly .. but about respect for the dead.

Respect is sorely lacking in modern Britain, this country has too many mean spirited, narcissistic and nasty people vying for attention. Mrs Thatcher's death has given them one more excuse and I find their demonstrations and celebrations not only in bad taste but disgusting,

The sort of people who do this though will justify their nastiness ... I want them no where near me. They are one of the reasons we have such a rubbish country these days. They are the problem not the solution. They cause far more damage to our country then Mrs Thatcher's govt ever could,

To all the posters on this thread who moaned about Mrs Thatcher - thsi thread is not about that.

Plus you are wrongly blaming her because she is a woman it is absolutely sexist. Having said that I agree no one has to like her policies or those of her govt but the hate is irrational and shows an instability of mind,
so does the constant whinging ...

edit on 10-4-2013 by HelenConway because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by HelenConway

I don't hate anyone, I've made that point clear on this subject in a few threads now. I have no emotional involvement with Thatcher. I was too young and lived in the south, so my life was never directly effected by her policies.

I have no reason to hate anyone? Why would I? Do you hate anyone?

So some people are celebrating her death. It's hardly the worst thing to have happened in this country. There is moral decay in this country from top to bottom. To start singling individuals or certain groups out is a waste of time.

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Exactly my point - moral decay - dancing on graves is a symptom !! Hence Good Bye Britain a very different country from the one I grew up in and my parents and grandparents grew up in. Sad.

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 03:28 PM
link   

With all due respect then, just what was your purpose in starting this thread?

For people to post their admiration for Thatcher or perhaps to express their sadness and grief at her passing?
Or was it just for members who agree with your distaste for the lack of 'respect' shown her and who regard it a mark of the 'decline' in British standards?

I think any of them would be naive to the extreme, especially considering the passions and emotions she stirs up.

Personally I see nothing worth celebrating, but I understand why some people would.
Yes, an awful lot of people suffered terribly due to her policies and she had a complete lack of compassion and empathy for them, but she can't be compared to the likes of Hitler, Stalin etc.

What I find distasteful and hypocritical is the taxpayer having to pick up the cost for her funeral despite both of her offspring being millionaires and for the pointless recall of parliament considering the policies of 'austerity' being pursued by this governement.

And the open adoration that MSM are showing Thatcher is stomach turning.

What I find beyond contempt is the gradual erosion of all the social improvements gained after WWII by a succession of governments.

If as you say this lack of respect is a sign of moral decline in the UK then I suspect that firstly you are looking at things through rose tinted glasses and secondly you seemingly fail to see the irony in the fact that a large part of that moral decline can be directly attributable to some of the policies Thatcher herself implemented.

Why is it perfectly acceptable to laud Thatcher as a 'great leader' who 'saved' Britain, to gloss over her many failings, supress and misrepresent negative opinions of her and spend millions on her funeral yet it's not ok to criticise and 'celebrate' her passing?

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 03:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Freeborn

My purpose is stated in the OP.
But I do agree that alot of what you point out in your post is valid.

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 03:36 PM
link   
Margaret Thatcher had no honor, She created division, and almost a police state too.
You can't expect people to honor the dishonorable.

Towns and villages all across the land are laid waist by that woman.

She was an ego maniac and down right narcissistic.

1979 Cometh the hour............Cometh the C***

No respect

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 03:40 PM
link   
reply to post by rigel4

Not true.

the mines in many areas were closed - therefore the one industry towns did lose their industry.
The police did fight with the miners who were pickets and would not allow those who did not want to strike to work. Scargill and his action caused far more mines to close. They villified the miners who wanted to work and ostracised them for years and called them scabs.

He [ Scargil] was worshipped, driving around in his jag, to rally the miners who were not being paid as they were on strike. He was the real villain. He basked in luxury and infamy whilst they starved.

I believe in a strong manufacturing base, particularly in heavy engineering and I think those industries should have been upgraded not closed ...

However - she was voted in by working people, those who call themselves middle class and working class, she had the support of people all over the country who were aspirational - she stood up for them in many ways.

Blair intriduced the police state and destroyed this country in more ways then Mrs Thatcher could even dream up.

So stop with the propaganda. Just because you say it again and again, and others do, does NOT make it true.

Plus the bahaviour of dancing, cretins, celebrating a life ending is very very sick.

Just shows how low many people in thsi country have sunk.

R.I.P Britain.

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Your not accurate at all with your History... so here is some material to educate
yourself with and then you will be able to come back and tell me I was NOT wrong.

Thatcher did almost create a Police State

This article is from John Stalker a Deputy Chief Constable of Greater Manchester at the time of
division.

Full Article

6 Comments John Stalker By John Stalker Margaret Thatcher dead: Authoritarian ruler took us to the brink of becoming a police state 10 Apr 2013 01:14 Former Deputy Chief Constable of Greater Manchester says she turned the police into a paramilitary force and put us on to a war footing

Britain has never been closer to becoming a police state than when Margaret Thatcher was in charge. As Deputy Chief Constable of Greater Manchester I saw at first hand how her authoritarian policies could have permanently shattered the bond of trust between the police and the people. She turned the police into a paramilitary force and put us on to a war footing. I met her several times during my time as a senior police officer. She took an uncommon interest in law and order, and always acted as if she was the Home Secretary as well as the PM. That was never more clear than during the miner’s strike in 1984 when I believe Margaret Thatcher took Britain to the brink of becoming a police state. She decided that “her” police force was going to keep the miners and pickets under control. It was all about showing who was boss. In 1974 changes in policing had seen the formation of huge new forces, such as Greater Manchester, West Midlands and Strathclyde. A decade later, the Thatcher government decided to bring them together in a “mutual aid system” to deal with the miners – a nationally mobilised police force working under a central command at Scotland Yard. And it had one of the biggest impacts on the independence of policing because it put chief constables secondary to government wishes. We got streams of instructions from the Home Office on how the strike should be handled, cleverly covered with legal fig leaves saying things such as, “of course the Chief Constable has complete control over operational matters, but this is our advice”. They left me staggered. Check out all the latest News, Sport & Celeb gossip at Mirror.co.uk www.mirror.co.uk... Follow us: @DailyMirror on Twitter | DailyMirror on Facebook

edit on 10-4-2013 by rigel4 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 04:13 PM
link   
reply to post by rigel4

I am completely acccurate .
I will discontinue this conversation now - you are entitled to believe what you will.
PS please do not try to 'educate' me with the Daily Mirror !

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by HelenConway
reply to post by rigel4

I will discontinue this conversation now - you are entitled to believe what you will.

You can discontinue what ever you want , but that doesn't change the
truth. Personally for me it's not thatcher i wished dead, but "Thatcherism".

It's alive and well today in all it's greedy guises. It;s everything that wrong in Britain
today ... your hero made it all possible..

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 04:27 PM
link   
reply to post by rigel4

FYI - I am not a lover of Thatcherite policies or Keynesian economics as beloved by Labour - they are both short sighted.

I do admire her as a person though and respect her in her passing.

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 04:39 PM
link   

The Britain whose passing you are lamenting never existed.

Britain has always had deep divisions.
People knew no better and were conditioned to expect no better.
Some of that changed in the aftermath of both World Wars and many of those divisions disappeared or at least lessened.

But in the last 40 years or so those divisions have been smashed open as a result of the policies of successive governments aimed at rescinding the rights and social advancements that were gained.

As for The Miners Strike I could literally talk all day about it - but I'm led to believe this thread isn't about things like that.

Suffice it to say that yes, Scargill certainly didn't help matters and contributed to the miners downfall - but it was a predetermined plan to confront the miners and to destroy the union movement in the UK.
In another thread someone mentioned The Ridley Plan, my apologies to the poster as I can't find the post at present and thus give due credit.
en.wikipedia.org...
It has been proven that the police used agent provocateurs, with government knowledge, to instigate violence on the picket line.
The tip of the iceberg - corruption and bribery was commonplace.
Start a thread on it and we'll discuss it in detail if you wish - it'd be a genuine pleasure to dispel some of the myths surrounding The Miners Strike and to relate some personal experiences and those of friends and family.

As for Blair; he betrayed this country and is just as culpable for the mess this country is in as Thatcher and Cameron.

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 04:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Freeborn

I think you are right ..
second.

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 05:10 PM
link   

reply to post by rigel4

Well .... at least you managed to spell 'educate' accurately!
maybe the Mirror is worth a read after all....hmm

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 05:14 PM
link   
reply to post by rigel4

what did I misspell ?

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 06:14 PM
link   

Rejoicing at the death of a former Prime Minister, jumping for joy in the streets just shows that Britain has a nasty undercurrent of small minded people with a narrow focus.
Exactly! They should be more concerned with outing the monsters that thatcher spawned.

This country has been overtaken by people who really do not think for themselves but repeat parrot like unsubstantiated phrases like..

‘’ Thatcher is to blame [add anything here]’’
MANY people in these threads have written LISTS of her wickedness. They dont need to repeat "unsubstantiated phrases".

Is this because they are uninformed ? unthinking?
Many are "uninformed" because their source of information - television newspaper and radio, spew out non stop drivel and lies.
"Unthinking"? Now you know what the fluoride is for.

We are all entitled to our views and I did not agree with all of Mrs Thatcher’s policies, but to dance on her grave is vile. It shows the extent to which Britain has turned into a cold, nasty, small minded place.
So the few who took part...I think your op mentions a few hundred, have turned the 60 million into "cold, nasty, small minded "?

Britain is in terminal decline – not because of Mrs Thatcher but because it is populated with unthinking, cruel people who are brainwashed and media saturated. The media any media does the thinking for them these days.
I totaly agree with that.

We are witnessing history being rewritten.

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 07:47 PM
link   

reply to post by rigel4

what did I misspell ?

Pfft ...."accurate" doesn't have three C's in it.

posted on Apr, 12 2013 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Exactly my point - moral decay - dancing on graves is a symptom !! Hence Good Bye Britain a very different country from the one I grew up in and my parents and grandparents grew up in. Sad.

You're funny.

On the one hand you are talking about todays moral decay, but back in the day ( WHEN YOU WERE GROWING UP) you had an army of miners and other picketers trying their damnest to kick the crap out of an army of police ( and vice verca).

This is just one example of many in the moral decay of the 80s.

But because Maggie was the instigator, that makes it all peachy in your book.

Aye, the government was high in moral fibre back then, so it was.

posted on Apr, 12 2013 @ 03:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Knobby

Have you managed to read up on Mandela and the 'spear of the nation' yet ?
Thanks for your contribution and your propaganda key points

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join