It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

''Revolution'' - the new TV series, 'turning the lights off' would NOT lead to mayhem...

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 10:37 AM
link   
Honestly I love that show, so yeah I've been following it. The main thing I see as problematic is the Monroe's militia. He's a little man who gained power with violence and keeps it with fear. You notice that in the small communities that popped up, they farm and take care of themselves anyway. That's not the main issue.

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 10:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ellie Sagan
Honestly I love that show, so yeah I've been following it. The main thing I see as problematic is the Monroe's militia. He's a little man who gained power with violence and keeps it with fear. You notice that in the small communities that popped up, they farm and take care of themselves anyway. That's not the main issue.

I have only got to episode 2 but yes I agree.

Why don't they have diesel generators though ?

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by HelenConway
reply to post by boymonkey74

I do not think so - we have people who can work the land they are called farmers.
We have the police and the army to maintain order.

Farmers nowadays rely on machinery and chemicals. What happens when forces run out of ammunition? How are we going to call the police, fire service or an ambulance? The nearest hospital to me is a half an hour drive away. How am I going to get there? Walk?

Katrina is not comparable - they were trying to survive in flood water, marooned - not the same thing.

What happens when villages and towns become flooded? Who will help prevent floods by putting up sandbags, etc? Where will we get the sandbags from? How will people be rescued if they are in danger?

We have the knowhow and the skills to survive and ultimately thrive .. that all I am saying.

So the youth of today have the skills to survive in a SHTF scenario? The same youth that rioted across the country a couple years back and the same youth that claim benefits when they are perfectly capable of working? The majority of teenagers I know (I'm 19) are too busy glued to their Playstation, none of them know how to make a fire or any other vital survival skills.

I am also saying - I guess, I really really admire my forefathers ..
edit on 31-3-2013 by HelenConway because: (no reason given)

As do I, but times are different now. Our forefathers grew up with no electricity or any of the luxuries we have today. All people know nowdays is technology.

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sozen94

As do I, but times are different now. Our forefathers grew up with no electricity or any of the luxuries we have today. All people know nowdays is technology.

Yea well times may be different again soon and it may not be a choice but a necessity to ' man up ' so to speak and that goes for females as well as males.

In the TV programme they forward 15 years post the outage - by that time, I think there would have been plenty of time to learn / relearn old skills and set up sytems and industries to cope with the new way of the world.

We would be like we were in the 1900s but with greater knowledge and we would have found alternative power sources for some things.

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 10:50 AM
link   
reply to post by HelenConway

Because

1) the generators will not work...nothing works to do with electricity for some reason on the show

2) Diesel only lasts about a year before it goes bad.
www.bp.com...

The show is set 15 years after the electricity goes away, I would think after 15 years after the panic communities would be formed....

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 10:53 AM
link   

reply to post by boymonkey74

I do not think so - we have people who can work the land they are called farmers.
We have the police and the army to maintain order.

Farmers nowadays rely on machinery and chemicals. What happens when forces run out of ammunition? How are we going to call the police, fire service or an ambulance? The nearest hospital to me is a half an hour drive away. How am I going to get there? Walk?

As has been stated we had an army and empire even [ sorry guys but it was true - not saying it was good or bad just a fact]

Before electrcity.

Plus we had factories and guess what farmers !!!

What a revelation - yes, people could organise society, be industrious and feed armies and a growing population before chemicals and electricity.

As for teenagers today - well some may be brain damaged, hence their lack of motivation - that is what bad parenting and bad living does, I am afraid. That group will not survive well unless they adapt - that is their choice ?

The rest of the normal teenagers will grow into fine young people and thrive.

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 11:04 AM
link   

Ok, 15 years of rape, murder, riots, disease and not knowing whether you'll wake up in the morning. How're you going to relearn old skills when everyone who knew them is already dead? How are some people going to live when they run out of medications they need to survive?

Lets say you have set up your industry. How are you going to pay your workers? How will you keep count of who's turning up to work and who isn't? There are so many questions I could ask.

Most of the power sources we have today require electricity and many skilled workers. How're we going to find new sources of power when all we have is what people in the 1800s had?

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 11:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Sozen94

That is not going to happen - I have explained why not.
But you believe that dark fantasy if you want to.

We still have all our infrastructire - just no power source for the electrcity grid.

How did we survive 100 years ago - your great grandmothers time ??? Ummm how did that generation survive with all the rape and murder ??

Goodness me - they survived because it did not happen thats what !!!

As you are only 19 I am guessing you do not know much about history ??? Your know the time before the 1990s ? Yes the world was here and doing very well ...

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 11:10 AM
link   

Don't patronize the guy about his age...reading this thread proves to me he has a better chance of survival than you.
You just do not understand what people will do when starving and hungry with no law nor order around.

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 11:10 AM
link   

Yea well times may be different again soon and it may not be a choice but a necessity to ' man up ' so to speak and that goes for females as well as males.

In the TV programme they forward 15 years post the outage - by that time, I think there would have been plenty of time to learn / relearn old skills and set up sytems and industries to cope with the new way of the world.

We would be like we were in the 1900s but with greater knowledge and we would have found alternative power sources for some things.

Which is why I don't like this show to begin with. Why didn't they start it out BEFORE everything fell apart? I would've found it more compelling and interesting to see how they managed to overcome those first few years. It just seems like a cop-out, like they didn't want to have to deal with the messy details of a society going down.

Jericho was a good show but was cancelled after only a couple of seasons, despite an avid following. They were a bit more realistic and the show started out before the SHTF. I recommend you watch that show and see how it compares.
edit on 31-3-2013 by texasgirl because: Added more

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 11:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by boymonkey74

Don't patronize the guy about his age...reading this thread proves to me he has a better chance of survival than you.
You just do not understand what people will do when starving and hungry with no law nor order around.

haha ok i wont - and he will just fall in place like the rest of us if it happened.
We would just reorganise.

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 11:12 AM
link   
reply to post by texasgirl

I agree I loved that show too.

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Well, I don't know how generators work, but maybe the tech that made the power go out actually somehow knocked all that out. I don't know enough to know if that is possible by any means. Maybe knocking out the power was just a good plot device for the rest of the story. I don't know, but I do like the show.

Also, I didn't mention it before, but I agree that we would be fine, in the long run. The problems would be in the beginning of the disaster. Then an equilibrium would be established after some time.

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 11:27 AM
link   

I love that show Jericho too! It is very well done in my opinion. About the Revolution show though, I think they will be exposing more of the early days after the power outage. They have been doing it through flashbacks. I like the way it's set up actually.

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 11:32 AM
link   

What I believe will happen is realistic - the unfortunate truth. You seem to believe that everything will be fine and dandy and that people won't kill and hurt others to get what they want.

The problem with today's infrastructure is that it requires technological power. What do we do when we run out of fuel and can't produce more? How is food and medicine going to be produced, let alone delivered across the country? The roads will most likely be blocked with vehicles and other wreckage so good luck getting your horses and carriages down them.

Rape and murder did happen back then. I take it you've never heard of Albert Fish and Jack the Ripper? Things are just more publicized nowdays.

I know a lot more about history than you think, and I know it has a tendency to repeat itself. Human nature hasn't changed in thousands of years and certainly won't change for the greater good when the SHTF.

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 11:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Sozen94

Well sozen we will agree to disagree - i do not think teenagers today are better off because they have i phones, or brighter they are being damaged IMO by bad food, lack of exercise, few boundaries - as WE ALL are BTW, whatever our age.

Britain and America and many other countries were very well organised and successful in the 1800s.

Britain in particular had the reserve currency and the largest , most powerful Navy in the world plus the biggest and wealthiest economy in the world.

That was pre electrcity.

How are we doing these days WITH electrcity - not so well I would argue.

I rest my case.

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ellie Sagan

I love that show Jericho too! It is very well done in my opinion. About the Revolution show though, I think they will be exposing more of the early days after the power outage. They have been doing it through flashbacks. I like the way it's set up actually.

Yeah, I noticed that, but flashbacks don't capture the true horror of what happened because you already know a populace survived it. It's kind of like reading the end of a book first and already knowing what happened.

If Revolution is so popular they need to bring back Jericho. The show was ahead of its time and would do really well now. (Although I feel it hit too close to home for TPTB. A false flag disaster, the United States getting divided and Texas refusing to join? Hmm...)
edit on 31-3-2013 by texasgirl because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 11:43 AM
link   
I recommend you go look at tapes of Katrina, and Sandy, then try and tell me there wouldnt be mayhem if the power went out.

We've seen what happens. Accept it. Or not.

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 11:43 AM
link   

Jericho was a FAR better show than Revolution. But Revolution is pretty good.

Jericho was doomed the moment they started implying a gov't coup, though.

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Well in 1900 40% of people here in the uk were malnourished the average age of living was 47. Children worked in horrid conditions.
You paint it like it was all sweetness and light it was not. We have a better standard of living now in the UK If you can not see that well....

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join