Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

''Revolution'' - the new TV series, 'turning the lights off' would NOT lead to mayhem...

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 09:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by boymonkey74
reply to post by HelenConway

Can you make me some benazepril then? how about some methyldopa?

Tell me how are you going to organize everyone without communications? who is going to organize everyone? the person with the biggest stick that's who, but If you think you would be living in a democracy you would be wrong.
Its a great hippy idealistic idea you have but it just wouldn't happen.

Of course I cannot - but the people who have the right skill sets could.

Most medicines are really superfluous to requirements - we would need antibiotics, analgesics, anaesthetics, bronchodilators and various others - initially, obviously production to begin with would be smaller then at present.

I do not think it is a hippy idea, it could happen from a massive CME
or an electromagnetic pulse bomb of some sort.
edit on 31-3-2013 by HelenConway because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 09:10 AM
link   
As regards transport, those who know will convert their autos to run on wood gas, steam engine enthusiasts will run the railroads, those requiring medication or surgery will go, (that's what, half the population?) farmers will survive, steam traction engines will be at a premium, probably hired out by owners for a share of the crop, local warlords will protect those with knowledge, such as food production, metal workers, animal husbandry, life will go on without an X box.

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 09:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Dispo

I agree It is why I have a good bug out place to at least cope with the initial panic, I reckon I could stay there unnoticed for about 3 months and by that time most of the UK population would be dead or dying.
Then It would be time to get a boat and head to a Scottish island I know and try to survive but I don't give myself any more than 15% success rate.
To the normal person I think less than 5% chance.

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 09:12 AM
link   
You couldn't call the police human predators would have a field day.

Most people can't grow food, hell I killed a cactus once!

Eventually you would see small communities rebuild, but what do you think
would happen when people wanted to join one, when supplies would already be
Low, and hard to come by.

Then surviving on nature? Maybe some, but I couldn't pull it off even survivalist
would be hard pressed after to long.

The power grid gone the human population would get a serious haircut.

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 09:13 AM
link   
reply to post by pikestaff

Yes and canals can be used to transport goods nationally.

Horses would once more be valued. We would be healthier and happier i believe - in the long run.

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 09:15 AM
link   

Honestly watch the vid of survivors many of your questions are answered in that show, also many of the problems you would face is also on that show.

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 09:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by terriblyvexed
You couldn't call the police human predators would have a field day.

Most people can't grow food, hell I killed a cactus once!

Eventually you would see small communities rebuild, but what do you think
would happen when people wanted to join one, when supplies would already be
Low, and hard to come by.

Then surviving on nature? Maybe some, but I couldn't pull it off even survivalist
would be hard pressed after to long.

The power grid gone the human population would get a serious haircut.

You could learn to grow food and cultivate the land - or maybe you could work in another field and others will farm.

It really takes a lack of imagination and faith to think that we would all crumble or murder each other and die.

What happened before 1900 ish ??? I believe our ancestors survived very well.

People did live in cities before the electrcity grid. London has been inhabited for up to 7000 years, the past 2000 ish as a city. Rome also.

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 09:18 AM
link   

Honestly watch the vid of survivors many of your questions are answered in that show, also many of the problems you would face is also on that show.

They had electrcity in survivors.

Also I do not believe the vigilantes would become king, I think they would be incarcerated by the various communities / towns etc. Just as they are now.

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 09:18 AM
link   

But those in 1900 were brought up in that time knowing the skills needed to live, we are not we depend on electricity to live and work.
The human race would go on but to say it would be better when 90% of us would die is just like I said before naive to think we would be ok and better off.

Oh and in survivors which I watched all last week they did not use electricity because it wasted the fuel they had left and no one ran a power station.
edit on 31-3-2013 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 09:20 AM
link   

But those in 1900 were brought up in that time knowing the skills needed to live, we are not we depend on electricity to live and work.
The human race would go on but to say it would be better when 90% of us would die is just like I said before naive.

and we could relearn those skills and we have additional knowledge to bring to the plate.

I think that in certain areas of the world some groups would not thrive but 90 % plus dying is ridiculous.

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 09:21 AM
link   

Why is it?

Let me ask you once the super markets are empty where are you going to get food?

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 09:25 AM
link   

I think you're being hopelessly naïve, OP. The U.S. population is currently over 10 times larger than it was in the 1800's. That's ten times as many mouths to feed. Since that time we have 'developed' most of our farmland and local community farms are now just a quaint curiosity in the most heavily populated areas. In the time it would take to develop non-electric, long-range transportation huge numbers of people would begin to starve. Supplying clean water and sanitation to high population density areas in particular would be impossible and disease would run rampant quickly. You can bet your life that the S would HTF in spades. People get dangerously ornery when they and their families begin to starve. Sure, we can recover many of the skills that you mention but that's very difficult to do when people don't have enough food to eat, are having serious difficulties staying warm and are generally freaked-out by having their reality pulled out from under them. I'm pretty sure Revolution isn't far off the mark. I take it you weren't around for the big Northeast Blackouts in 1965 and 2003. Those effected only a relatively small part of the country, only involved electric power (not cars, generators, battery operated stuff, etc.) and everyone knew the lights were coming back on. Still, there was major freak-outs.

It's one thing to build your culture around a reality that doesn't include electricity (as was the case in the 1800's). It's another thing altogether to suddenly pull electricity out of the cultural equation when it has been central to it and most of its essential services for the last almost 150 years.
edit on 31-3-2013 by jtma508 because: coup de gras

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 09:29 AM
link   

Why is it?

Let me ask you once the super markets are empty where are you going to get food?

Ok lets look at it this way -

Electrcity is used today to: Light your house
Heat / cool / cook your food
heat / cool your home
charge appliances such as mobiles / laptops etc

It is used: To generate power in industry to make goods.
To help transport goods - so that they can be distributed such as food / clothes.

You know just because the grid has gone down does not mean we suddenly do not have food.
We can adapt our industrial premises that produce food - so that food can be produced locally.

A loss of the grid would not stop the food produced in a single year - it would make transportation and storage more difficult - but this can be overcome.

Ships couls still be used to transport goods as could canals and trains and other means of trasnport.

People before the 1900s did have shops and they did have a distribution network of goods.

It would take some planning etc but we would be up and running very quickly - maybe 6 montsh max.

We would have food rationed maybe - prior to this so people would not die.

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 09:32 AM
link   
reply to post by jtma508

why were they freaking out ?

For goodness sake - they knew they would get power again soon enough and they were hardly starving.

I am not being naive - I think it would take time to rebuild lost skills.

The world population - umm I don't know about that , why has it more then doubled in my life time ?

That is another story.

I still think we would be fine - in the long run.

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 09:35 AM
link   

And to provide water and remove/process sewage, trash and waste as well as preserve food. Not having refrigeration would make long-range transport of high-protein food impossible and shorten food storage times. That would better than double the demand and halve the shelf-life. So we can estimate that it would require the production of twenty-times as much food as it did in the 1800's with a fraction of the number of working farm acreage and no transportation system.

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 09:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by jtma508

And to provide water and remove/process sewage, trash and waste as well as preserve food. Not having refrigeration would make long-range transport of high-protein food impossible and shorten food storage times. That would better than double the demand and halve the shelf-life. So we can estimate that it would require the production of twenty-times as much food as it did in the 1800's with a fraction of the number of working farm acreage and no transportation system.

Ok but it could be done ?

We would still have diesel etc btw .. that is not electrcity and cars would run - they could be adapted.

I am not saying the transition would not be painful initially i am saying it can be done and ultimately we would be fine - in fact society would look very much like it is now, with slight differences.

We eat too much these days anyway - we could survive on half the food we presently consume - in western countries anyway.

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 09:39 AM
link   

You didn't answer my question....you have no food in your house nor the supermarket where do you get food from while competing with everyone around you?

The stock piled food would be taken by the people with the biggest stick, you could join them but how long will that take to dwindle down?
Grow food? fine but what If it happens in the middle of winter? food takes time to grow and without modern practices you couldn't grow enough for everyone.
What happens when the rat population grows? and eats all your plants? how are you going to control pests without pesticides? everything has a shelf life....petrol can last about a year then it is useless.
Medicines can not just be made, I know how to make paracetamol but it would be far more work than it is worth.
Remember many people would die so the chances after a year that the people who you need are still alive are very slim.

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 09:41 AM
link   

Modern cars would not work in this scenario and the cars that would break down and spare parts very hard to come by. Plus the fact the roads are blocked by abandoned vehicles.
Life would go on but it would be a nightmare for us all.
edit on 31-3-2013 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 09:42 AM
link   

You didn't answer my question....you have no food in your house nor the supermarket where do you get food from while competing with everyone around you?

The stock piled food would be taken by the people with the biggest stick, you could join them but how long will that take to dwindle down?
Grow food? fine but what If it happens in the middle of winter? food takes time to grow and without modern practices you couldn't grow enough for everyone.
What happens when the rat population grows? and eats all your plants? how are you going to control pests without pesticides? everything has a shelf life....petrol can last about a year then it is useless.
Medicines can not just be made, I know how to make paracetamol but it would be far more work than it is worth.
Remember many people would die so the chances after a year that the people who you need are still alive are very slim.

OK I am not a logistics expert and nor do I claim to be.

But how do we get food now ? Where does it come from ? We would just get that food that is stored and food would be rationed for a while.

We would still have transport - diesel is not electrcity.

We would adapt etc ...

If the food in the supermarket ran out - I would grow food and hunt rabbits and have chickens for eggs etc.

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 09:45 AM
link   

Modern cars would not work in this scenario and the cars that would break down and spare parts very hard to come by.
Life would go on but it would be a nightmare for us all.

We would adapt and i do not think life would be as bad as all that. It would be more fruitful and happier in the long run I believe, We as a people need to do meaningful jobs again and live meaningful lives.

Not the empty shadow lives most people live these days - as they exist vicariously through their TV soaps / radio / social network sites etc.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join