It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

1 iin 3 Americans had an Sexually Transmitted Infection in 2008

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 11:17 AM
link   
reply to post by CommanderCraCra

[SNIP]

Why do you feel that you're immune to everything? Have you had your immune system checked to see that you have some super system that eradicates everything you come into contact with?
I also barely get sick and I also enjoy gambling, but there are some things I'm just not willing to gamble with.
And before you ask, no, I've never had any vaccines either because I do trust my body to fend stuff off, but some of these STDs are vicious and I'm not willing to find out if my body can fight them off or not.
By the way, how many kids do you have?
edit on 28-3-2013 by elevatedone because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 11:18 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 11:22 AM
link   

You didn't answer my question.
What makes you believe that your body can fight off ALL STDs? Where is your proof that your immune system is better than anyone else?
I bet you also don't wear your seatbelt. I didn't either when I was a teen because teens think they're invincible. I also drove drunk when I was younger because I felt as though I was never going to get caught or get into an accident. Neither ever happened to me, but I matured and realized that I'm not above danger and started taking precautions.
How old are you anyways?

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Afterthought

I also wanted to add that the women you sleep with are just as dumb because I wouldn't sleep with anyone if they refused to cover it up.

Exactly , the kind of partners (in a non monogamous relationship) that are ok with not using protection are way more likely to have STD's than anyone else. Its simple logic.

Most STD's have the ability to either destroy your reproductive system if left unchecked or just outright kill you. Many are incurable which if they don't kill you will almost certainly kill your ability to go out and sleep around. They can certainly ruin your chances of ever finding someone to settle down with in the future.

A very likely scene in CommanderCraCra's future :

Random person : "i think i really like you.."

CommanderCraCra : "i like you too.., but by the way i have incurable herpes"

Random person : "Is that the time already? i gotta go.."

edit on 28-3-2013 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Afterthought

You didn't answer my question.
What makes you believe that your body can fight off ALL STDs? Where is your proof that your immune system is better than anyone else?

I didn't answer your question, because it's a strawman. I never insinuated that my system was particularly better than anyone else's. I stated it was absurd to believe that "progress" has helped our species in this instance. That we can somehow keep procreating without risking STD's in the process. I don't screw women I'm not willing to have kids with and marry. Maybe I should have mentioned that first.

I bet you also don't wear your seatbelt.

You are only showing your willingness to make mindless assumptions. I have always worn my seatbelt.

I didn't either when I was a teen because teens think they're invincible. I also drove drunk when I was younger because I felt as though I was never going to get caught or get into an accident. Neither ever happened to me, but I matured and realized that I'm not above danger and started taking precautions.
How old are you anyways?

That's pretty nuts. I've never thought I was invincible. Why do you assume I believe this of myself?

I may be older than you are.
edit on 28-3-2013 by CommanderCraCra because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 11:28 AM
link   
reply to post by PhoenixOD

I agree with everything you stated, but I doubt that most potential partners are mature or responsible enough to even tell the other person that they have an STD.
Most of them are transmitted during one night stands, so I'm sure these people think, "Oh, I won't say anything because what are the odds of me bumping into this person again? Beside, they'll probably sleep with someone else soon and think it was them that gave it to them."

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 11:33 AM
link   

I assume a lot?
YOU'RE the one who stated that you have an awesome immune system that can fight off STDs. I was just asking why you believe this.
You also assume I'm younger than you, but I'd bet my bottom dollar I'm more mature than you.
Where's my proof? I'm already quite aware that there aren't that many men out there that I'd stay with for the rest of my life. I'm VERY picky. I've met very few men I'm so compatible with that I'd be willing to marry them and spend the rest of my days on Earth with them.

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 11:35 AM
link   
I was told by my 16yr old sister in law( shes now 18) that they changed the wording in sex~ed from SEXUALLY TRANSMITTED DISEASEs (like in my day ) to SEXUALLY TRANSMITTED INFECTIONs.

She said they did this because they didn't want the teens to be so scared of them..That they are not that bad !!
And That disease sounds so permanent where as an infection can be cured..

I was dumbfounded..Wanting to making them less scary? I have a daughter about to turn 16 and thank god she is nothing like teens today but I told her yesterday about this ..I told her I feel bad for her that most of her options for a future boyfriend are absolutely disgusting..

And yes I am old school I think STDs are disgusting.

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 11:35 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 11:39 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 11:40 AM
link   
*** ATTENTION ***

Stop discussing each other and get on topic.

Posting Bans are next.

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by CommanderCraCra

You contradict yourself. It most certainly has to do with genetics.

I have not been "lucky".

I have chosen well and kept my immune system healthy.

I reject your absurd statement that I have a "100% chance of catching one".

Are people truly this uneducated?

I could make an equally absurd statement that if you have sex regularly, regardless of if you choose protection, you will get an STD, 100%, eventually.

Why? Because both are mindless assumptions. Condoms are not a 100% protection. The only real protection is abstinence. We abstain and we die out as a species.

Whooops!!

In a way, yes, I contradicted myself. Although the whole point was that genetics only might affect the likelyhood of you getting a STD, although they would not make you immune.

Even when choosing your partners, the older you get, the less likelyhood there is they have not had previous partners. Considering how many people have STD, it is likely that any of their previous partners has a STD history.

I said "multiple partners". I do not know how often you change your partner, although the more partners you have, eventually one of them is highly likely to have STD.

I would change your sentence:

You said: I could make an equally absurd statement that if you have sex regularly, regardless of if you choose protection, you will get an STD, 100%, eventually. That is absurd.

Instead: If you have sex regularly with multiple parthers, if you choose no protection, you will get an STD, 100% eventually. (You probably will never get a STD if you sleep with one partner only, while knowing they do not have it, unless they are cheating)

Condoms protect on over 98%, especially if you use quality ones, not some cheap ones from a kiosk or vending machine. Farmacies usually keep them under good conditions.

Also from another viewpoint. No protection can lead to unwanted kids, unless the girl is under pills. Best is both: Condom+pills.

You can easily calculate statistically, how much the odds grow with every new partner that they might have STD, considering that 1 in 3 has it.

For me, unprotected sex is like playing Russian Roulette.

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 11:49 AM
link   
Back on topic, there are egotistical people out there who think they are immune to STDs.
There are two types of people who don't use protection:
1. People think they're super human and immune to dangers.
2. Those who have no or very low self-respect for themselves and others.

Maybe in the year 2050, we can order new bodies for ourselves, but as it stands now, you've only got one, so try to take care of it the best you can. Sure, we all have our bad habits and sometimes behave carelessly, but having unprotected sex is a painful and deadly gamble.

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cabin

Instead: If you have sex regularly with multiple parthers, if you choose no protection, you will get an STD, 100% eventually. (You probably will never get a STD if you sleep with one partner only, while knowing they do not have it, unless they are cheating)

I see no reason to believe this. It's an assumption not evidenced.

Condoms protect on over 98%, especially if you use quality ones, not some cheap ones from a kiosk or vending machine. Farmacies usually keep them under good conditions.

They also protect against having babies. You certainly will have to take the risk at some point if you like to have children.

Also from another viewpoint. No protection can lead to unwanted kids, unless the girl is under pills. Best is both: Condom+pills.

No way. The pill causes issues for many women. I'd never ask someone I was with to take the pill. I simply pull out. If there be a child, we will be their parents.

You can easily calculate statistically, how much the odds grow with every new partner that they might have STD, considering that 1 in 3 has it.

If you have little understanding of the science, sure you can make such an easy calculation.

For me, unprotected sex is like playing Russian Roulette.

That's fine. So is deciding to get out of bed, for me.

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 11:53 AM
link   
Even with condoms you can still get STD's.

People are gross, don't eff on the first date.

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 11:54 AM
link   
Good thing I am sexually unattractive- Not to be mistaken as not good-looking. I make Brad Pitt an Matthew McConahay look ugly.

Divine intervention truly exists.

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 11:55 AM
link   
I wonder how might the spread of STDs affect the ability of people to reproduce in the future.

Many STDs might lead to infertility.

Who know, maybe someone even wants that so many people would have STD. Kind of a population control method, although probably also many unwanted kids are born.

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 11:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Afterthought

I agree and here is one of the larger problems with that scenario :

one person with a simple curable STD like chlamydia sleeps with another and doesn't use protection, they think "i wont tell them , they will think they got it off someone else".

The person they have slept with is thinking "well they didn't care about protection , they obviously don't care about getting my HIV"

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 11:56 AM
link   

edit on 28-3-2013 by WaterBottle because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 11:56 AM
link   
I knew a lad years ago who used to chat up American women on line then go over on holiday to visit them all. A thread like this could sure put someone off that idea pretty quickly.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join