It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

1 iin 3 Americans had an Sexually Transmitted Infection in 2008

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 11:58 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

Come on, why has no-one here as actually questioned these figures? We need to see the original publication from the Center For Disease Control, not some second-hand report. It's just too easy for lazy journalists to misinterpret and publish quite technical reports, and the some unthinking readers just think: "Oh, that must be true, it came from so-and-so".

Consider:

Youngsters under 14 are very unlikely to have this sort of disease.

People over 60 are fairly unlikely to have this sort of disease.

So we can therefore probably remove from the figures about one-third of the US population. The figures as presented suggest that the other two thirds (young to middle-aged adults) must have these diseases, i.e. half the adults. That can't be true now can it?

If the original report said that one-third of US adults have at one time in their lives had sexually-transmitted disease, well, that's much more likely isn't it?

But no, everyone seems to have accepted the figures unquestioningly. Why? Isn't this a forum where its members question and challenge all reports?

Mrs Chicken
edit on 28-3-2013 by rubberchicken because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 11:58 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by rubberchicken

Here's a good website that has it broken down by countries.
www.avert.org...

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 12:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Afterthought

Which shows only one region of the world has a lower instance than North America.

If only we had reports of the last million years for our species, but we don't, so we're left with common sense to work with, except in some that seems to be rather impaired.

BTW, those numbers absolutely tear to shreds the notion that 1/3 of us have STI's.

That's right, it's PROPAGANDA!!
edit on 28-3-2013 by CommanderCraCra because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 12:04 PM
link   
reply to post by CommanderCraCra

so we're left with common sense to work with, except in some that seems to be rather impaired.

I agree.
Now, please don't address me again. You stated that you were done discussing this with me, so please keep to your word. We aren't going to agree on this.

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 12:05 PM
link   
i really think that most youngsters (say 16-36 YO) are under the impression that the Health Care system will fix 'em up in no time...so precautions are for the Ludites, bible thumper moralists,and those who are still around at 40 & older

i am very selective in seeking bedroom buddies.... have you heard of those rare dogs that can 'smell' cancer on a otherwise healthy looking and acting person... well my 6th sense tells me who is Verbotten and whom can be a long or intermittant term relationship partner

there are those one-night-stand encounters which requires one to be very accutely aware of all the clues & body language to think-on-the-run as it were... many a time i removed myself from the situation as i am not a Latex kinda guy

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 12:06 PM
link   
I'm not buying it. These statistics are like all other statistics that come from big brother. Skewed to suit an agenda. The contraception industry must be having a big lull in sales right now. Scaring the crap out of everyone is their form of advertisement.

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 12:07 PM
link   
not worth it...
edit on 28-3-2013 by CommanderCraCra because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 12:07 PM
link   
Since HPV was mentioned... it was in the mid 90's that we would see more and more cases of genital warts in the ER. Someone would come in with kidney stones.. and we'd see warts. Pregnant women in labor.. see genital warts. It was as if they didnt care they had them or something. Maybe denial. One girl came in very pregnant and in labor.. and was so full of warts a c section was scheduled. I dont understand how people dont DO something about it. Again, HPV isnt always visible.. the warts arent always there yet theyre still carriers. There is no way to know visually if youre being exposed. Obviously the same with HIV and a few others.... so why take a chance??

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Advantage

Thanks for posting your observations. Do people just think that since they can't see it, it's not there?
Young people aren't the only ones who think they're immune to STDs. The older generations who aren't able to procreate any longer obviously believe that condoms are just for pregnancy protection, but they're sorely mistaken (pun intended).
articles.orlandosentinel.com...

For instance, in Arizona's Maricopa and Pima counties — home to large retirement communities just outside Phoenix — the percent of reported cases of syphilis and chlamydia increased twice as fast as the national average from 2005 to 2009. Reported cases were up 87 percent among those 55 and older in those counties.

In Central Florida, where The Villages and other retirement communities sprawl across several counties, reported cases of syphilis and chlamydia increased 71 percent among those 55 and older in that same period. And South Florida saw a 60 percent rise in those two sexually transmitted infections among the same age group, according to the Florida Department of Health.

In Riverside County, Calif., home to retirement mecca Palm Springs, reported cases were up 50 percent over the five-year span, according to data from that county's health department.

edit on 28-3-2013 by Afterthought because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 12:25 PM
link   
My generation grew up under the shadow of AIDS, with huge public awareness campaigns. This definitely had an effect on the way we practiced safer sex. This younger generation has not been subject to such campaigns or fears. Of course we still have AIDS, but not the public awareness of the dangers of sex.

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 12:29 PM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

You're right, and with the latest news that AIDS can be "cured", younger people might see this as their cue to relax and not be so concerned about it.

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Thank you. Very interesting link. I think it proves my point that it's a long way from one third of the US population having a sexually-transmitted disease.

And to all those who see some government or condom-manufactures' conspiracy here - how about it's just bad, mangled, oversimplified reporting by poorly-trained journalists of the original story?

(That's not to say condom use is a bad idea - it's a very good idea...)
edit on 28-3-2013 by rubberchicken because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Most infected persons do not realize they are infected, or that they are passing HPV on to a sex partner. A person can still have HPV, even if years have passed since he or she has had sexual contact with an infected person.

Source: www.cdc.gov...

Basically, the most likely reason for a higher STD prevalence rate is most likely due to carriers and asymptomatic infection (kind of the same thing). Or people may write off any signs of infection that they do have. Not every STD out there is going to get blocked by a condom. HPV can be passed through oral sex. A condom may not prevent the spread of herpes simply because it's not going to protect every area in the region of contact. Etc, etc. An individual doesn't have to have run through dozens of sex partners to get infected because really, all it takes is one partner. I do, however, agree that the prevalence is a pretty good indicator that we're a little too casual about sex these days.

Also, I recall seeing reports of drug resistant STDs starting to appear...just wunderbar, eh?

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by WhiteAlice

We've had several articles over the last few yrs about the resurgence of syphilis in our area among the teens and 20-somethings. Now the articles concern that uptick concerning drug resistant syphilis AND last year it mentioned drug resistant chlamydia.
One of the problems is that people are ignorant.. in the truest sense of the word. They get it, get treated, figure theyre cured.. get reinfected.. and then go on to pass it further.. repeat cycle. Drug resistant strains can be laid squarely on the head of the morons out there who cant figure out how to make sensible sexual activity choices and decisions.. even after treatment and education by the healthcare providers theyve been to.

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 02:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Advantage

Doesn't surprise me in the slightest. Drug resistant infections are truly borne out of ignorance in general so it's no great surprise when it happens with STDs as well. As a parent, I've made sure that my kids are aware of the hazards of sexual activity straight from the get-go. Today is a lot different from the world that I grew up in and it's kind of sad but what can you do. The diatribe my kids received was "if you have sex, then the person you have it with better be somebody that you'd be absolutely willing to spend your life with or die for." Sounds brutal but it's the truth between pregnancy and STD risks. I'm such a mean mom, lol.

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by rubberchicken
why has no-one here as actually questioned these figures? We need to see the original publication from the Center For Disease Control, not some second-hand report.

Originally posted by Klassified
I'm not buying it. These statistics are like all other statistics that come from big brother.

Straight from the CDC - Statistics

These are the infections included in the information - chlamydia, gonorrhea, hepatitis B virus (HBV), herpes simplex virus type 2 (HSV-2), human immunodeficiency virus (HIV), human papillomavirus (HPV), syphilis,
and trichomoniasis. Most of the infections seem to be from Chlamydia and HPV.

CDC - Herpes - 1/6 of people 14-49 have/had it

edit on 3/28/2013 by FlyersFan because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 03:21 PM
link   
Thinking about this further, what difference does it make if the numbers are inflated?
STDs are out there. Do we really need high numbers to scare us into protecting ourselves? I don't think so.
Considering how many people do live reckless lifestyles and engage in alcohol and drug fueled parties, why would anyone think that those with STDs aren't a part of regular society.
Just as a serial killer looks normal and is often friendly, so are those who don't care who they infect.

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
Comeon people .. in this day and age EVERYONE knows to 'keep it covered' or just don't do it. There is no excuse for this. People behaving recklessly like this ... it's absurd and stupid. About half of these were for people ages 15-24. The up and coming American population isn't looking too bright ....

Not going to happen. Look at the prices of condoms.

I just recently got tested at the local health clinic, it used to be free this time it cost me $25.

I guarantee that STD infection rates go up as income goes down. Poor people can't afford condoms for one and them when they get something they can't afford to get treated. We used to have a free clinic, now it costs $25. This is just another example of how health care for profit fails.

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 04:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by jrod

Originally posted by FlyersFan
Comeon people .. in this day and age EVERYONE knows to 'keep it covered' or just don't do it. There is no excuse for this. People behaving recklessly like this ... it's absurd and stupid. About half of these were for people ages 15-24. The up and coming American population isn't looking too bright ....

Not going to happen. Look at the prices of condoms.

I just recently got tested at the local health clinic, it used to be free this time it cost me $25.

I guarantee that STD infection rates go up as income goes down. Poor people can't afford condoms for one and them when they get something they can't afford to get treated. We used to have a free clinic, now it costs $25. This is just another example of how health care for profit fails.

Youre right. Our clinics go on a sliding fee basis.. but they cost. Same with planned parenthood, but they give out free condoms. I work with at risk youth on an off throughout the year and its a constant issue. I was helping girls make appointments for BC and testing early last year... you can barely get an appointment and it DOES cost unless you have medicaid or a pink card ( Illinois). They dont listen to the instrucitons on how to tke the BC anyway.. and it doesnt do a darn thing for the STDs. These kids switch partners at the drop of a hat.. and really dont care about the risks or truths. Even when they have been infected or gotten pregnant they keep repeating the same behaviors. There isnt much parental control in any case.. and that would go a long way. No longer is it a shameful thing to be diagnosed with HPV or etc... they discuss it like its what they had for lunch. I swear, an epidemiologist could track the diseases by facebook "friends" if they payed attention...

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join