It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

1 iin 3 Americans had an Sexually Transmitted Infection in 2008

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 10:12 AM
link   
Comeon people .. in this day and age EVERYONE knows to 'keep it covered' or just don't do it. There is no excuse for this. People behaving recklessly like this ... it's absurd and stupid. About half of these were for people ages 15-24. The up and coming American population isn't looking too bright ....

1 in 3 Americanas Had a Sexually Transmitted Infection in 2008

According to new data released by the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, there were 19.7 million new venereal infections in the United States in 2008, bringing the total number of existing sexually transmitted infections (STIs) in the U.S. at that time to 110,197,000. The 19.7 million new STIs in 2008 vastly outpaced the new jobs and college graduates created in the United States that year or any other year on record, according to government data. The competition was not close. The STI study referenced by the CDC estimated that 50 percent of the new infections in 2008 occurred among people in the 15-to-24 age bracket. In fact, of the 19,738,800 total new STIs in the United States in 2008, 9,782,650 were among Americans in the 15-to-24 age bracket..

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 10:19 AM
link   
Teens aren't known for being very bright about these kinds of things. I'm looking into a chastity belt for my future teen daughter.

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 10:26 AM
link   
I saw this yesterday and notice they still don't break it down to show what it is people have? How many in those figures are herpes and chlamydia? Herpes in particular is silent and can be carried for years while being spread and the carrier may or may not even realize they are.

I can't help but notice ...nothing is simply 'bad', anymore. It's always worst ever..or worst since xx and some far off date ..or at the very least 'on track to be the worst ever'.

Anyone else watching the Governments non-stop super-doom talk and growing more than a bit tired of it? What is it we pay these people for if not to worry about these things ..so we don't have to every day, in our own daily lives? Another day..another crisis though. Always a new one and pretty much like clockwork. Tomorrow is Friday. Bad News Friday will have to work to top this, but they'll manage. I'm sure.

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 10:34 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

Explanation: S&F!

Just to lay out some facts 1st ...

Human papillomavirus [wiki]

Genital HPV Infection - Fact Sheet [cdc.gov]

How common are HPV and health problems caused by HPV?
HPV (the virus): Approximately 79 million Americans are currently infected with HPV. About 14 million people become newly infected each year. HPV is so common that nearly all sexually-active men and women will get at least one type of HPV at some point in their lives.

HPV in the World [hpv2010.org]

“Approximately 20 million Americans 15 to 49 years of age (approximately 15 % of the population) are currently infected with HPV.”

[Cates W, Jr. “Estimates of the incidence and prevalence of sexually transmitted diseases in the United States.”
American Social Health Association Panel. Sex Transm. Dis. 1999; 26(4): Suppl:S2 7.]

JAMA. 2012 Feb 15;307(7):693-703. doi: 10.1001/jama.2012.101. Epub 2012 Jan 26.
Prevalence of oral HPV infection in the United States, 2009-2010.
Gillison ML, Broutian T, Pickard RK, Tong ZY, Xiao W, Kahle L, Graubard BI, Chaturvedi AK.
SourceViral Oncology, Ohio State University Comprehensive Cancer Center, Columbus, OH 43210, USA. [email protected]

Abstract
CONTEXT: Human papillomavirus (HPV) infection is the principal cause of a distinct form of oropharyngeal squamous cell carcinoma that is increasing in incidence among men in the United States. However, little is known about the epidemiology of oral HPV infection.

OBJECTIVE: To determine the prevalence of oral HPV infection in the United States.

DESIGN, SETTING, AND PARTICIPANTS: A cross-sectional study was conducted as part of the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES) 2009-2010, a statistically representative sample of the civilian noninstitutionalized US population. Men and women aged 14 to 69 years examined at mobile examination centers were eligible. Participants (N = 5579) provided a 30-second oral rinse and gargle with mouthwash. For detection of HPV types, DNA purified from oral exfoliated cells was evaluated by polymerase chain reaction and type-specific hybridization. Demographic and behavioral data were obtained by standardized interview. Statistical analyses used NHANES sample weights to provide weighted prevalence estimates for the US population.

MAIN OUTCOME MEASURES: Prevalence of oral HPV infection.

RESULTS: The prevalence of oral HPV infection among men and women aged 14 to 69 years was 6.9% (95% CI, 5.7%-8.3%) and of HPV type 16 was 1.0% (95% CI, 0.7%-1.3%). Oral HPV infection followed a bimodal pattern with respect to age, with peak prevalence among individuals aged 30 to 34 years (7.3%; 95% CI, 4.6%-11.4%) and 60 to 64 years (11.4%; 95% CI, 8.5%-15.1%). Men had a significantly higher prevalence than women for any oral HPV infection (10.1% [95% CI, 8.3%-12.3%] vs 3.6% [95% CI, 2.6%-5.0%], P < .001; unadjusted prevalence ratio [PR], 2.80 [95% CI, 2.02-3.88]). Infection was less common among those without vs those with a history of any type of sexual contact (0.9% [95% CI, 0.4%-1.8%] vs 7.5% [95% CI, 6.1%-9.1%], P < .001; PR, 8.69 [95% CI, 3.91-19.31]) and increased with number of sexual partners (P < .001 for trend) and cigarettes smoked per day (P < .001 for trend). Associations with age, sex, number of sexual partners, and current number of cigarettes smoked per day were independently associated with oral HPV infection in multivariable models.

CONCLUSION: Among men and women aged 14 to 69 years in the United States, the overall prevalence of oral HPV infection was 6.9%, and the prevalence was higher among men than among women.

Personal Disclosure: I hope that helps to shed some light on the issue.

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 10:37 AM
link   

I believe it! Chlamydia and Gonorrhea are running rampant among the late teen to early twenties crowd in our area. You would think in this day and age the kids would be smart enough to know not to have unprotected sex. Sad thing is that they DO know better and still fling caution to the wind anyway!

I'm certainly glad I'm an old married lady. Monogamy certainly has it's perks!

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 10:38 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 10:40 AM
link   
Meh, I think of it like the flu. Weak people get it every other year or so. The strong maybe get it a few times in their adult life.

You can bang without protection and not become infected if you have the proper immune system for it. The rest get their junk all sorts of messed up.

Nope, not the most pro-social view on the subject, but it's one I hold. I never wear protection, and have yet to acquire an STD. Hopefully it remains that way.

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 10:41 AM
link   
That is alarming and disgusting.

This thread, makes me appreciate my monogamous relationship, but, it also makes me fear for my children's future if we can't get this under control.

S&F

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by littled16
You would think in this day and age the kids would be smart enough to know not to have unprotected sex.

That's just it. It's not like these 'under 24' year olds are in the dark about how things work. This is a very sex-saturated society. They talk about it MUCH younger and everyone is told to 'keep it covered' or just don't do it. So I see no excuse other than laziness .. or them thinking it won't happen to them for some magical reason.

This kind of statistic is spooky.
There are a lot of very serious things that can be caught in this manner.
It's not a joke to catch sexually transmitted infections.

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by PhoenixOD
Thats just nasty.

Agreed. And I read the other day that some of the big name colleges have sex partner swapping parties. Dorms will have a 'sex night' where the people in the dorms try to have sex with as many others in the dorm as they can in one evening. Not only is it STUPID (considering the deadly things that can be caught), but it's just downright NASTY. NASTY NASTY NASTY.

And I don't care if someone calls me old fashioned or says it isn't my business.
That doesn't change the fact that swapping partners over and over like that is NASTY.
(and dangerous).

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 10:46 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 10:52 AM
link   
reply to post by PhoenixOD

Is there anything in particular you wish to comment on?

The weak will perish, it's only natural, and has always been the case.

Allowing "progress" to get in the way only makes things worse.

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 10:52 AM
link   

That's just it. It's not like these 'under 24' year olds are in the dark about how things work. This is a very sex-saturated society. They talk about it MUCH younger and everyone is told to 'keep it covered' or just don't do it. So I see no excuse other than laziness .. or them thinking it won't happen to them for some magical reason.

The frontal lobe (which does all kinds of neat tricks, one of which is the ability to understand and foresee consequences) isn't fully developed until around 25 years of age, that might play a big role in this.

Also, the 'invisibility' factor, because, bad things only happen to other people, another common teenage delusion.

Schools and parents need to get away from teaching kids abstinence, because, obviously, that approach is not working.

I just hope there is some way to get a handle on this because, this is extremely alarming.

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 10:57 AM
link   
Isn't it great to be human?

All to often we brush-off the warnings and risks of certain behaviors so that we may enjoy the emotions and pleasures of particular acts.

None of us are perfect and we all have indulged in pleasures that were unsafe or contradicts common sense. So I will not be the one to judge these people that do the same as the rest of us.....but they just happen to catch some funk along the way.

Disclosure: I am in a monogamous relationship and have never caught the drip.

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 11:01 AM
link   
What can you really say.... American like to have sexual experiances.... No different to any other nation that is out there.

To the people shunning America's STD problems, we could easily go and pull some numbers off goggle to shed some light on the problems your nation is having, America is not the only nation with a STD problem.

So be realistic and teach your freaking kids how to wrap it up already~ For jebus sakes people!!! Or just to not engange in sex until they are mature to make that decision.

Again Parents. Seems to be the answer to a lot of the problems occuring within the youth of the world. DO YOUR JOB AS A PARENT!

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 11:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by CommanderCraCra
Meh, I think of it like the flu. Weak people get it every other year or so. The strong maybe get it a few times in their adult life.

You can bang without protection and not become infected if you have the proper immune system for it. The rest get their junk all sorts of messed up.

Nope, not the most pro-social view on the subject, but it's one I hold. I never wear protection, and have yet to acquire an STD. Hopefully it remains that way.

You're in for a rude awakening.
I've never had chicken pox, but I don't think it's impossible for me to get chicken pox at anytime nor any other illness for that matter.

Society is programming everyone to get drunk and screw and this report proves that their propaganda is working. I guess as long as people can blame it on the alcohol, nothing is their fault.

edit on 28-3-2013 by Afterthought because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by CommanderCraCra

Unless it is some kind of humour, this is probably the dumbest reason not to wear protection. A true facepalm.

STDs have nothing to do with genetics. Genetically speaking genetics might affect how likely you can catch a STD, although no person in the world is immune to all STDs. There are too many different kinds of STDs to be immune to all of them

So far, you have simply been lucky. Continue doing so with multiple partners, considering how many Americans have STD, there is 100% chance that sooner or later, you will catch one...

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 11:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Afterthought

Interesting. Why do you assume I'm in for a "rude awakening"... towards what, exactly?

People screw. Fact.

We're super-organisms. Fact.

We have inactivated, potentially deadly viruses within all of us. Fact.

The average dollar bill you touch likely contains more potentially deadly pathogens the the average knob someone may choose to slob on. Fact.

I mean, you ever use a public bathroom, or touch a public door knob with your hands, or kiss someone, or shake their hand shortly after they sneeze, and on, and on...

We got the nasties everywhere. E-coli is in the majority of beef in the supermarkets.

It's a very simple truth that we're surrounded by, and mostly weigh of bacteria. It's all around us.

The truth is that you can have ten guys bang the same infected chika, and only a few of them will become infected.

Yet another truth is that most of the STD's which are out there don't even show up in an STD test. Most of us are carriers and don't even realize it.

Whooops!

Want yet another truth? How about the fact that disease is a way to weed out the weak from the fit. That if we didn't have these evolutionary pressures, we'd die out.

How about keeping the weakest going for generation after generation, until one day you look around and notice dumb, and ugly troglodytes roaming around causing all sorts of needless suffering.

One way or another, someone suffers. It's only natural.

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 11:12 AM
link   
reply to post by CommanderCraCra

I also wanted to add that the women you sleep with are just as dumb because I wouldn't sleep with anyone if they refused to cover it up.

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 11:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cabin

STDs have nothing to do with genetics. Genetically speaking genetics might affect how likely you can catch a STD, although no person in the world is immune to all STDs. There are too many different kinds of STDs to be immune to all of them

So far, you have simply been lucky. Continue doing so with multiple partners, considering how many Americans have STD, there is 100% chance that sooner or later, you will catch one...

You contradict yourself. It most certainly has to do with genetics.

I have not been "lucky".

I have chosen well and kept my immune system healthy.

I reject your absurd statement that I have a "100% chance of catching one".

Are people truly this uneducated?

I could make an equally absurd statement that if you have sex regularly, regardless of if you choose protection, you will get an STD, 100%, eventually.

Why? Because both are mindless assumptions. Condoms are not a 100% protection. The only real protection is abstinence. We abstain and we die out as a species.

Whooops!!
edit on 28-3-2013 by CommanderCraCra because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join