It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Winter is Coming....

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 01:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Jennyfrenzy
a reply to: zazzafrazz
As a super fan of A Song and Ice and Fire, I would be devastated if Game of Thrones concluded before the books. There's still one book to be released after Winds, A Dream of Spring. He's got a lot of work ahead of him. I'm confident he can do it!

I hope he can too but just as an insurance policy he clued D&D in on the conclusions of all the story arcs and character dispositions. If he kicks it or cant finish in time it will be the only instance of me watching something instead of reading the book first.

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 01:39 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

I heard about
Haha! Poor GRRM, he's not going to die anytime soon. I wonder if he did pass if his qife would finish the series? I know she's helped him out with ASOIAF in the past.

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 08:40 PM
link   
Ah a thread on the game of thrones. I suppose this is the right medium on this site for me to complain. The only problem I have with the show is they removed some pivotal charters from it, mainly that they cut strong belwas from the tv series. I was watching episode 3 season 4 I think a few days ago, and when they got to that one part were Daenerys army reaches the city of meereen and the city champion trots out mocks and challenges them.

And well you know in the book strong belwas comes out to meet the challenge, kills the horse, then beheads the glorious champion, pulls up his pants and just happens to take a squat in there general direction, before looting the former champion and wobbling away. They changed that scene to were the other dude Daario Naharis does it and they even removed the defecating scene all together. Its kind of a shame, I was looking forward to see how they would do that whole scene, poop and all.

And seeing how characters die in that series I think strong belwas was pretty much one of the few that actually survived more then a few scraps and battles, he even ate the poison locus and survived with a bellyache, were most characters just seem to drop dead, he survives. The whole series is just not the same without him. I think the author probably got more on his hands then he can handle, and they should have definitely not have cut strong belwas from the series.

Hes like a pivotal charter and stuff, or at least one of the more interesting charters. But now I got this funny feeling that they may cut him out of the books which are going to be coming out as well. If that is so I just may not bother in finishing the whole series...OK I probably will anyhow, but its a shame for all you know strong belwas could have been the hero of this whole series. And when the series is over they could even do spin offs staring strong belwas, he could like travel the lands challenge knights and heroes from all over to fights, punch there horses, insult there damsels, drink and eat there many foods, then after some fancy sword play he could take more squats in whatever badguys general direction. Then you can rinse and repeat for next episode, whole TV series have gone on for longer even years with less to work with. It could have all been one wacky and wonderful adventure every Sunday night with cameos from other popular characters from the series showing up now and then. But alas! It is not to be.

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 08:46 AM
link   
He is a great character, but we're talking about a show that already has way more main characters than any other. He's not the only cut, or character that has been downplayed, but TV is a completely different medium than books, and has different demands.

Overall, it will never translate 100%, but so far, GoT is doing a pretty decent job of it.

There is another famous poop scene coming up, of course, and that one CAN'T be cut...just can't, hehe....though I'm hoping we don't show actual excrement on screen.

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 02:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gazrok
He's not the only cut, or character that has been downplayed, but TV is a completely different medium than books, and has different demands.

Agreed, we're also short a bastard so I'm assuming D&D will be merging some characters for the sake of expediency.

posted on Apr, 26 2014 @ 10:06 AM
link   
a reply to: Gazrok

I dont know what the author is trying to do, but what the show is trying to do is easy to figure out. On the author and the original books and story I would say the storyline has no main charters, as apposed to having to many main characters. I suppose the author must have thought before he began writing the books on just how exactly things would go down if a fantasy world were to be somehow brought into reality, its been done, and he did a pretty good job of implementing that.

But the truth is its still fantasy, because if he is willing to follow that thought pattern all the way, half the world would crumble and pretty much all of the charters in the book will end up dead. I mean look at it like this, you have a world were even according to the book winter has been known to last for lifetimes, that right there pretty much seals the fate for all of westeros. The knights of summer will wilt and be cut down like so much chaff long before winter hits, and when winter hits 90% of the population of westeros is going to die, and things like cannibalism and will be rampant, mirroring what has happened here when little ice ages come and go. If the author was going for more realism something like that would happen and pretty much all the charters will be offed in one way or another, and if they survive they are either not on that continent or will be soon starving to death or joining the legions of zombies and white walkers.

In truth if they were playing and going by the rules of this world in the book, the habitation of that world would consist of dragons on one continent, and white walkers on another. But you know, its a story - fiction and it would not be much of story if they killed off all the charters. So ya its all just playing to there audience and mediums, books being one TV another. Its sad they cut Strong Belwas, and the coming scene with Tyrion will probably stay on cue because if they change that they will have to change a whole bunch of other things. However the story wont be the same without strong belwas. May as well make a list and start checking them off, death by sword, death by fire, death by being caught with your pants down in the privy, death by being to trustful at a weeding, death by tripping on a banana peel, death by chocking on peanuts, death by squirrel. You know, sooner or latter, the way its going there going to run out of way of killing off characters.

...RIP - Strong Belwas, death by being in the wrong medium. Watch now the author is either going to kill him off or phase him out of the story.

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 07:23 AM
link   
So, Heart of the Winter? Did the Bookwalkers just get spoiled by that reveal? My wife asked me, 'What happened with the baby?' and I had no clue at all, I felt like an Unsullied.

Part of me likes it because it's new and fresh and the other part doesn't because it may be in TWOW and I got it 2 years early.

What was up with the whole Bran story line change?

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 08:02 AM
link   
I've read the books so I won't comment except to say ... Tyrion Lannister is my favorite character and Peter Dinklage plays him brilliantly.

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 08:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

So, Heart of the Winter? Did the Bookwalkers just get spoiled by that reveal? My wife asked me, 'What happened with the baby?' and I had no clue at all, I felt like an Unsullied.

Part of me likes it because it's new and fresh and the other part doesn't because it may be in TWOW and I got it 2 years early.

What was up with the whole Bran story line change?

Yeah, Bran's storyline definitely took a huge change from the books. It also appears set to affect Jon Snow's storyline, too. In fact, it already has.

The one thing I'm interested to see is the viewers' reaction to Daenerys in this episode.

And BTW, yes, that's a massive spoiler at the end, even for book readers, for a variety of reasons, including one BIG one that I'm not sure many people are going to pick up on.
edit on 28-4-2014 by vor78 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 09:53 AM
link   
I'm wondering now, with this whole Crastor's Keep business, and Bran obviously being kept as a bargaining chip, if they'll push out the battle of Castle Black until the finale of the season...

I too am left wondering just what was going on with the White Walker and the baby...but it makes sense if you think back to the very first episode of the show, where we saw humans with those blue eyes. I don't recall any of that in the books, but eh...always nice to be surprised.

I think the audience won't be put off by Danni killing all those guys...not after what they did to the kids. What will be more interesting is how they will react once things start becoming difficult for her. I hope they don't dwell on it as long as the books did....ok, she needs to learn to be Queen, we get it....move along....

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 10:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: vor78
And BTW, yes, that's a massive spoiler at the end, even for book readers, for a variety of reasons, including one BIG one that I'm not sure many people are going to pick up on.

I could think of a few based on the books but was there anything in particular you were thinking? (without revealing too much for the Unsullied spoiler-wise).

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 10:57 AM
link   

I too am left wondering just what was going on with the White Walker and the baby...but it makes sense if you think back to the very first episode of the show, where we saw humans with those blue eyes. I don't recall any of that in the books, but eh...always nice to be surprised.

It leads me to think the GRRM had filled D&D in on the WW's in his outline for the story arcs and they threw this in early just to spark some debate and interest. I think we got a glimpse of the Heart of Winter but still are waiting for the Great Other. It was also interesting that the one who converted the baby was initially listed in HBO's credits as Night King but later changed to White Walker. There were also 13 of them which seems to be a recurring theme.

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Yep, yep, yep....

Possible spoilers ahead....

Read at your own risk.....

I mean it.....

According to legend, the Night's King lived during the Age of Heroes, not long after the Wall was complete. He was a fearless warrior, who was named the thirteenth Lord Commander of the Night's Watch. Later he fell in love with a woman "with skin as white as the moon and eyes like blue stars", he chased her and loved her though "her skin was cold as ice", and when he gave his seed to her he gave his soul as well.[1] (Her description matches that of the Others.) He brought her back to the Nightfort and after the unholy union, he declared himself king and her his queen, and ruled the Nightfort as his own castle for thirteen years. During the dark years of his reign, horrific atrocities were committed, of which tales are still told in the North. It was not until his own brother, the King in the North, and Joramun, the King-Beyond-the-Wall, joined forces that the Night's King was brought down and the Night's Watch freed. After his fall, when it was discovered that he had been sacrificing to the Others (possibly in similar way to Craster), all records of him were destroyed and his very name was forbidden.[1] It is likely this led the lords of the North to forbid the Night's Watch to construct walls at their keeps, ensuring the keeps would always be accessible from the south.

Even better.... R+L=J (at least, that is the prevailing theory, and it certainly has legs)....
edit on 28-4-2014 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Even better.... R+L=J (at least, that is the prevailing theory, and it certainly has legs)....

Yeah, I have always been a bit skeptical of the 'official story'.

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 03:30 PM
link   
R+L=J but does A+J=T?

Hmmmm...

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 03:41 PM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan

Can not wait to see his story arc for this season, it is going to be beyond epic! Tyrion is my #1 fave character, love his chapters.

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 08:34 PM
link   
Seen the newest episode this morning. Man did they change some things, but me thinks somebody is still getting the knife in the back at the end of a certain and upcoming season, somebody named snow. If anything I kind of liked that they cleared up that, in the book it was vague, it alluded to who or why they did it, they sort of changed that and flipped things around. Same goes for crasters kids or those who get taken by the white walker, it left that open for debate in the books but you could deduce what was happening, in this episode it pretty much cleared it. I mean it was not in the books, or at least not but in hints, even the white walkers themselfs seem to be just the forerunners of the others, and who the "others" really are. I think these particular new introductions are better, or at least for this medium.

But they really did a 90% turn with on the Bran part, now its probably going for the more dramatic and leading to a bigger more epic battle, that or my memory could just be wrong on what I remember I read, but i dont remember that part. Nor the part with jaime and our willy short hero have that heart to heart talk in the dungeon, I think he left that short meeting in the cell with tyrion saying that yes he killed his son. And that to was left open for translation in the book, on why he said it, especially when it became clear latter that it was just a spat. I hope they dont eliminate another poop scene, that would be a bummer, and it would really deviate from the books a lot, but there again so many ways to die, I am sure they will think of something or some way of bringing things back on track even if they cut that scene. I mean he does not have to die on the toilet, he could just die chocking on some cheese all the same to keep things rolling.

I'm still pissed they cut Strong Belwas, but maybe they could do a directors cut or something, just hire some dude to play him and do an original take of that scene and add it in the blue ray editions, then the fans would be satisfied or at least appeased.

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 08:16 AM
link   

does A+J=T?

Another prevailing theory, and it would make sense if you think J, D, and T are the three heads of the dragon, as some do. GRRM uses prophecy often in the story, to portent ahead, and my money is on this idea being dead-on.

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 01:39 PM
link   

I'm a firm believer in A+J=T This would mean he's no kinslayer.

Another favorite is the Great Northern Conspiracy, oh and the "pies" and "paste" (don't want to spoil it for the non book readers but I'm sure you know what I mean)

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 02:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Jennyfrenzy
I'm a firm believer in A+J=T This would mean he's no kinslayer.

I think a key factor will be if T's dad makes his pronouncement that T 'is no son of mine' after their upcoming meeting.

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join