It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bloomberg is A Waste Of Oxygen Now He Wants To Hide Cigarettes

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 01:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Petriclivicus

Canada already put this in place about 2-3 years ago. There's a wall of hidden cigarettes behind the counter. If you don't know what you want, they aren't supposed to show you. That being said, it's actually curbed me from a pack and a half of cigarettes to now a couple of prime time cigars a day. I thank them for doing it.

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 02:55 PM
link   
reply to post by TiredofControlFreaks

Honestly, no stores closed in my area. There are even quite a few shops around town that have never sold cigs and are doing fine. If a business has to close shop because of ciggarette advertising, then it was a pretty crappy business in the first place.

If local business's shutdown in your area, I can almost certainly say it was not from cigs being covered. More likely from the big corporation convenience stores, such as Mac's (Canada's 711, for those unaware) taking a majority of the sales.

This is just my opinion though. I could be wrong.

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 03:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Quoop

Quoop

To be honest with you, you sound like an anti-smoking activist.

How can you say that if a store depended on cigarettes advertising (and you are giving yourself away here by calling it advertising instead of a display, which is what it is), then it was a crappy store in the first place.

That is just like an anti-smoker, who on occasion, pretend to be experts in everything. Whenever there is an adverse effect (like a bar closing or a store closing), you all turn around and blame it on the establishment instead of your own hypocritical and tunnel-visioned policies.

1. What part of "tobacco companies pay fees for favorable shelf placement" did you not get? No tobacco display = loss of revenue! What kind of business can really afford to lose revenue like that? Of course it affects the bottom line!

2. Cigarettes are what is known in the industry as a "leader". Customers come into the store to buy cigarettes and end up also buying gum, a chocolate bar, a pop, a newspaper, a loaf of bread or milk. In short, people go into the store to buy cigarettes but end up buying other things!

Now smokers go into a convenience store to buy cigarettes because they want to get in an out fast. Since cigarettes are the same price in a convenience store as in a supermarket but a supermarket is bigger - the smoker will choose to go to the small store!

But without cigarettes - if you have to go to the big stores to get the smokes, may as well buy the other items you need at the same time.

End result - small mom and pop shops lose out - big box supermarkets win!

3. What exactly is the point of a display ban when anti-smokers have kicked smokers out of bars and cafes and restaurants (where there is either no children or a limited number of children) out into the streets. Now children can see smokers socializing with each other and having a good time.

Now what do you suppose most attracts children. The sight of a colored box with health warnings and gruesome pictures or the sight of smokers enjoying themselves?

Before the display ban in Ontario, this article shows that there were over 10,000 small businesses selling cigarettes.

www.thestar.com...

This is what the store owners say:

The tobacco ban is a double whammy for store owners who are already losing a quarter of their cigarette sales to smuggled smokes, Bryans said. Instead of chasing down errant store owners who are covering up their power walls with a towel, Bryans said the province should channel that energy into stopping illegal cigarette smuggling. "Convenience stores won't go out of business because they've covered the tobacco walls," Bryans said. "They'll go out of business because our regular customers are getting product 10 times cheaper than we can sell it to them so they're not buying gum, chips, pop or lottery tickets."

This article is from 2011 - several years after the ban

www.newswire.ca...

"I've spoken to over 2,000 convenience store retailers over the past two years and many have all but given up hope the Ontario government will fix the problem," said Angie Kim, Retailer Liaison for the Ontario Convenience Stores Association. "For these stores, the contraband issue is not about profits, it's about the ability of these families to pay the mortgage and save enough to send their kids to university."

"I've spoken to over 2,000 convenience store retailers over the past two years and many have all but given up hope the Ontario government will fix the problem," said Angie Kim, Retailer Liaison for the Ontario Convenience Stores Association. "For these stores, the contraband issue is not about profits, it's about the ability of these families to pay the mortgage and save enough to send their kids to university." Illegal cigarettes remain a huge problem in Ontario with smugglers earning millions in profits which they often use to finance other, more serious criminal activities. Contraband smugglers freely sell these cigarettes for pocket-change, often to kids, without respecting any of the other laws and regulations under which legal retailers operate. Convenience store retailers have been outspoken on the issue of contraband tobacco since 2005. Over the past several years, over 1,000 convenience stores have gone out of business, in large part due to the effects of the illegal contraband market on these law-abiding retailers.

Are YOU now an expert is the operation of a convenience store as well as being an anti-smoker campaigner?

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Cigarettes are poison. They have no nutritional value, they cause cancer in those who smoke them, and in those around those who smoke them. They cause thousands to die every year.

Even a sugary drink contains water and sugar, something the body can actually use for life. Not the case with cancer sticks.

I don’t normally support this man, but in this case I don’t think he goes far enough.
Cigarettes should be banned outright. Their manufacture, and sale, should be shut down permanently. The financial cost of this would be minimal to the savings in health, and improving quality of life.

Smoking cigarettes is the very definition of STUPID.

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 06:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Petriclivicus
reply to post by dimburg

Of Course ! !. .. . It is ALL Bad for you.

BUT,. .. That is the Beauty of this Country.

THE RIGHT TO CHOOSE

If you want to smoke, .. That is O.K. With Me

If you DONT want to smoke, .. That is O.K. With Me Too.. .. Just don't interfere with my decision.

We have a duty as responsible parents to interfere if you were an underage "wannabe smoker" I'm afraid.

Young kids are the real target in mayor's ciggie campaign, not you and me

Its all about growing up healthier and making the right choices, nobody is denying you THE RIGHT TO CHOOSE

You should start using your other head

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 06:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cabin
Although I am quite a heavy smoker, on and off, but currently on around a pack of red ones a day, I support such idea.

Cigarettes is a product that has no practical value to the society, there are no psitive effects to smoking, only negative.. When I started smoking I was young and stupid. Although quitting is not easy. Have tried to quit for quite some time already although always went back after couple of months.

The government here is planning on losing all the cigarette and alcohol commercials, moving the cigarettes behind the cound and putting some disgusting pictures on the packs- pretty strong punch on the cigarette companies here. Who cares whether it is money or not, some things are not simply right. The promotion of cigarettes and ads on every corner and I am sure they influence lots of us, especially younger ones, who often tend to be more "gullible" and do not have much life experience.

Most smokers I know started at around same age as I do 15-16 and have yet to quit.

Although I am smoker, this is habit something I suggest to no one. Really one of the most pointless habits: takes money, ruins health and really nasty to get rid of. The guy is not suggesting losing the cigarettes, simply hiding them. Who wants gets them anyways, although less people would start smoking and that is positive effect.

I hope sooner or later the cigarette industry dies. Every year the amount of smokers decreases and the overall campaign against it is working well. Every time when the tax is raised on cigarettes, I am honestly happy about it. At least some people quit because of it

Hopefully gonna quit it too sooner or later and this time for real

+1
Heavy smoker here.
I completely agree with you man.
I love smoking, but I KNOW IT IS KILLING ME, I'm THAT moronic.
Banning tobacco would be as stupid as banning weed, or alcohol. However, we need to publicly discourage it's use and adoption, specially in the younger sector.

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 06:10 PM
link   

They already do this in the UK, all smoking related products in a cabinet out of sight.
There is talk of plain packaging too and there are also pictures of cancerous lungs and black organs on the boxes to warn you of what you are letting yourself in for.

I say good on this guy for doing something.

Smoking kills and the fewer youngsters that take it up, the better.
edit on 20-3-2013 by stargatetravels because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 06:39 PM
link   
Everything kills/everything causes cancer

Being 20 lbs overwieght
Eating meat/not eating meat
Eating cured meat
Sugar is toxic
Sitting
Eating butter instead of margarine (or) eating margarine instead of butter
Soda
Alcohol
Eating carbs / not eating carbs
Sex
Vaccines / no vaccines
Antibiotics cause heart attacks
Big Pharma antidepressents and Champix (Another product that when used EXACTLY as prescribed by the manufacturer, kills)
Sunlight (cancer) or lack of Vitamin D (lung cancer and rickets)

Smoking has a very practical use in society - it is pleasurable and it potentiates the pleasure of other things (think coffee or beer and a smoke) Pleasure is a very useful and practical thing
It releases stress
It decreases appetite and incidence of obesity (being 20 pounds overwieght is as risky as smoking)
It is more effective in the treatment of mental illness like depression, schizophrenia and manic/depression
It has a preventative effect of Alziehmers, Parkinson's and MS (any neurological disorder)
It reduces the incidence of toxemia in pregnant woman
It reduces the incidence of childhood asthma and is used by many adult asthmatics to reduce/prevent attacks
It prevents irritable bowel syndrome
Smokers have better survival rates after heart attacks.

And I have links to studies confirming every single thing I have just said.
NOW for all those who don't smoke and who are completely unaffected by this issue - wait your turn is coming too!

But of course - its all too easy to voice your opinion when you have no dog in the fight, isn't it?

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 06:44 PM
link   
reply to post by BanTv

i'm gonna say that that article is not entirely unbiased...

while snus MIGHT not contribute to oral, or other cancers (havent seen any citations, or research documentation to absolutely support that), it more than likely will still contribute to tooth decay, which, believe me, is pretty lousy...

as to the e-cig thing...the one i read about, the one where it exploded, and took out the guy's teeth, half his tongue, and his lower jaw, was an off the shelf unit....the problem was his CONSTANT dragging on it....excessive use can cause the battery to overheat, and, well, you know what happens then....

i've never had a cigarette explode if i puff on it too much -shrug-

the safest alternative to smoking is to not smoke....that's just common sense.

that said, i'm not anti-smoking, or anti-tobacco...i smoke, and i enjoy it immensely...there was a need for me to quit for a while, so i did...and i was fine..when the situation was such that i could smoke again, i started back up...point is, it's tough to quit for some people, but it's not impossible....you just hafta stand firm, and not give in to temptation.

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 06:52 PM
link   
Take a really good look at just the last 100 years or so of the tobacco line

See how there were all kinds of smoking bans and even state bans on the sale of tobacco

Then notice that every anti-smoking campaign was followed by a period of rampant tobacco use!

Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it - over and over again (this has actually been going on for about 400 years!)

archive.tobacco.org...

If the timeline can be predicted - I am guessing you have about 5 more years to bash smokers before smoking once again reaches an all time high!

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 07:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by DanZek

Cigarettes are poison. They have no nutritional value, they cause cancer in those who smoke them, and in those around those who smoke them. They cause thousands to die every year.

Even a sugary drink contains water and sugar, something the body can actually use for life. Not the case with cancer sticks.

I don’t normally support this man, but in this case I don’t think he goes far enough.
Cigarettes should be banned outright. Their manufacture, and sale, should be shut down permanently. The financial cost of this would be minimal to the savings in health, and improving quality of life.

Smoking cigarettes is the very definition of STUPID.

you're silly...99% of soda has HFC, not sugar...HFC is a confirmed FUEL for cancer cells...bad stuff...

diet sodas use aspartame, saccharin, or, recently, sucralose, all of which are worse for you than sugar...refined sugar is crap too....raw, unrefined sugar is the best..and as with any good thing, all things should be taken in moderation...

as for your support for the moronic mayor of NYC, and your silly opinion that cigarettes should be banned, and their manufacture stopped....seriously, you're entitled to your opinion, but that still doesn't change the fact that it's silly, and that people still have the right to make their own choices..

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 08:40 PM
link   
reply to post by DanZek

Fortunately for US Smokers it is something your are probably going to have to deal with for the rest of your life. Cigarettes are Not going to go away anytime soon. It is ECONOMICALLY UNFEASABLE. Just like eliminating gasoline. Can you imagine the devastation it would cause if the government would put the brakes on cigarettes and completely banned them. The repercussions would be unfathomable. Not only would it shut down major corporations, it would shut down small businesses as well as large businesses. It might take a month for it catch up, BUT, . .. when it is time to pay the help from the money you were making on cigarettes, the well is going to be dry and people are going to loose their jobs.

What then? .. .. Well, . if you have 20 million Americans out of work you are going to have one hell of a mess on your hands.

So, if you can't eliminate it, the best thing to do is just Suck it Up and Drive on, which I am sure you will.

Furthermore, I guess you missed my comment before when I mentioned that Hiding Cigarettes is going to be shot down in flames anyways so why waste the time or effort or TAX dollars chasing a "PIPE DREAM"?

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 08:45 PM
link   
There used to be a time, not so long ago, that I once wanted to move to New York. Now, I'd rather cut my leg off than set foot in that state. This mayor, along with his draconian, anti-American, nanny-state laws has ruined the reputation of New York.

The Federal Government has one job: protect the rights of it's citizens. This guy should have no claim to power in an American city and obviously needs to be impeached.

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 08:48 PM
link   
And like so many of my other replies......government is stepping where it don't belong. Period.
If enough people are offended, concerned, outraged, what ever seeing a pack of smokes on display then let them tell the shopkeeper, not do business except where they hide the smokes to their liking, and if they win out great, if they don't there is not harm to others, it don't make kids want to smoke (in my opinion and I have two kids).
Damn, let the free market reign and the chips fall where they may. We are all free people, let us be free and if we hurt ourselves then we knew better and did it anyway.
There will be a progression if we let it.
Next no stores within a half mile of schools or where kids are known to congregate will be allowed to even sell cigarettes. Next it will be a mile. It's for the good of the chillun after all.
Well there is too much poor health in the city, like fireworks now it will be banned in the city limits, gotta drive out to the edge of town to get em now.
Too much trouble let's just quit.
Boy they did me a favor I'd never have quite those nasty things if they hadn't taxed 'em to hell and made them hard to get to add to it.
Think I will go out for an ice cream.
Oh that's right...too many fat people, yogurt is as close as I can get here in the city. Oh well I am twenty pounds too heavy any way.
Boy I remember those good old days when I could go blow off some steam down at the shooting range, now they aren't allowed, but hey less chance I might leave one out in a moment of stupidity and a kid get it and shoot himself.
Whew...man....those times a hundred years ago must have been damned rough. Sure glad we got all these modern smart politicians to tell me what might be bad for me, how the heck did anyone live past sixteen back in those days when they had to THINK for ones self!

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 09:39 PM
link   
i smoke the occasional cig, but who gives a #, really? what a petty thing to get upset over. "oh no they're hiding cigarette packs! the NWO and TPTB are hitting us where it hurts! In our feeble, tar-ridden lungs.."

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 09:47 PM
link   
BLOOMBERG FOR PRESIDENT!

People would rather inhale death and toxins at $9-14 a pack then realize they don't need it. They are addicted but are too prideful to admit they are addicted. Bloomberg sees these morons and is trying to help those who are too stupid too help themselves. Obesity and Diabetes are becoming an epidemic but you want to demonize a man who wants nothing more than to show you how to live healthy? WOW I hope you all enjoy the cancer he is trying to save you from. Sugar is poison HFC is poison on crack, but you want to sip it down daily in 32oz to 44 oz form. You want to live healthy? Look at the diets of the most healthy people in the world. They are not eating processed foods and sugars they are eating natural the way we were meant to as humans. You are so conditioned and brainwashed you attack a man trying to help you and don't even don't even pay attention as a member of Monsanto becomes the head of the FDA. Enjoy cancer, the corporations know what is causing it but they won't let you know because they would lose profits.
edit on 20-3-2013 by XGodofWar because: added punctuation

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 10:49 PM
link   

Quite the opposite my friend, I smoke everyday
I actually have been using an e-cig for a while.

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 10:52 PM
link   

And taker easy, you made a nice post and I actually agree with most of it. I'm enlightened if you will

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 12:30 AM
link   

You are still getting confused, you've listed a few things that may cause cancer... but they are still left to each person with their own choice.

The point is, when YOU smoke around me like you want to, you affect my health hence its not my preferred choice to be inhaling second hand smoke.

If i wanted to drink 5l of coke a day, that's my choice even if it's stupid, but if you smoke around me it's not my choice.

Smokers have been alienating their children, family and friends for hundreds of years.

Get it?

Kykweer

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 12:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Daedalus

Snus

"Conclusions: Overall there is a high degree of believed knowledge regarding NRT-products and Snus that is not consistent with scientific evidence and it is most strongly influenced by the misbelief that nicotine plays a large part in the harmfulness from smoking. It is therefore needed to expand public, non-commercial information on smoking and health to include comprehensive data regarding the part nicotine plays in the harmfulness of smoking as well as objective and unambiguous data on the harmfulness of different nicotine-containing products compared to smoking. This is essential in order to preclude that misperceptions regarding these matters could discourage smokers from adopting effective cessation practices with use of nicotine-containing aids."

Legit Source?

Snus is the least harmful of the smokeless tobacco products because of how it is produced and stored, and “everyone who has studied this agrees there is a 95%–99% reduction in the health risk of snus, compared to use of cigarettes,” said Kenneth Warner, Ph.D., dean of the School of Public Health at the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor.
Contradictory studies have also debated the precise health effects of snus. But a 2008 literature review commissioned by the European Union study found that use of smokeless tobacco almost eliminated respiratory disease and substantially cuts the hazard of other health effects, such as cardiovascular disease and oral and gastrointestinal cancers."

No one can debate that not smoking is the healthiest alternative, but Snus is not as dangerous as people believe (snus, not regular dip). Most smokers don't know that there are safer options for a nic-fix because the anti-smoking nazis don't want us to know. God forbid there is a less-harmful tobacco product. That knowledge could save lives (extend them), but they're against it because it might create new tobacco users. Save the children but let their smoking parents die, apparently.

I'm very curious how long you and TiredOfControlFreaks have smoked, and how many cigarettes you smoke a day. You both mention how pleasurable smoking is. As a pack a day smoker for 10 years, I find NO pleasure in being a slave to nicotine. Yes, smoking is enjoyable in the sense that it relieves the craving, but the addiction part is in no way fun...or cool...or something I would wish upon anyone. People are different, so maybe you aren't physically addicted?

The e-cig that exploded in that guys face was 100% NOT one of the cigarette sized e-cigs bought "off the shelf". That is a fact.
Facts
Facts

Chief Butch Parker of the North Bay Fire District responded to the call. "I have never heard of or seen anything like this before," Parker told ABC News. Although the battery was unrecognizable after the incident, Parker reported finding several 3.0 volt CR123A type batteries charging in the room along with a scorched battery case that appeared to be one for a cigar-sized device.
Although the investigation is still not concluded, the battery type and "cigar" appearance of the device indicate Holloway may have been using a custom made "mod" or modified e-cigarette using stacked batteries similar to a flashlight, said Recio. These devices are unlike more popular e-cigs, which have built in digital monitoring and protections, he said."

If you have the correct batteries, a constant drain will not make it blow up. Over-charging is dangerous, over-discharge is dangerous, and using a device (of any kind) that demands more than the batteries C-rating is dangerous. On mass-produced products, there is circuitry to prevent the first 2 issues and using the correct battery prevents the 3rd. Your cell-phone doesn't blow up or catch your house on fire because the designers weren't stupid. Same applies for e-cigs. You could puff on one continuously until it died and there is no chance it will blow. How do I know? Companies know how much current their product draws and choose batteries accordingly. They don't guess.
C-Rating
edit on 21-3-2013 by BanTv because: my reason

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join