It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bloomberg is A Waste Of Oxygen Now He Wants To Hide Cigarettes

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 08:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by kykweer
reply to post by Petriclivicus

I think its fair, but it won't make people stop smoking.
Then again, I believe smokers who throw their cigarette buts on the ground should either be blixemed or shot on sight.

I would say "anyone who's fault it is that billions of tons of oil have leaked into our oceans, or neclear waste into the atmosphere, or poisioned almost our entire food and water supply, or pretty much destroy every aspect of life on this planet should be shot on site..."

But ya... you're totally right on the dirty smokers...

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 08:07 PM
link   
reply to post by TiredofControlFreaks

I honestly agree with you as well. I think a ban on displaying tobacco products is stupid, I just know that the anti-smoking nazis want a lot worse to happen. So compared to what they really want, I just think this is tame and at least not banning smokes completely. It makes me furious that they ban the smoke-less nicotine delivery system, but keep the smokes on the shelf....in the name of "public health". These people are such scumbags, but we all know $>human life.

Yeah they're crazy effective because they give you the nic, and also let you continue the psychological addiction of hand to mouth, inhaling and exhaling something, something to kill time, etc. There are so many people that have switched effortlessly in one day even after 40+ yrs of smoking. Like I said though, the cig sized ones aren't good and you don't get much of a "throat hit" (feeling the inhale). I'll probably make a thread on it soon, I know I was shocked with how amazing the bigger ones are.

To stay on topic though, these ANTZ and "health" organizations need to stop harming the public with their outright lies about certain tobacco and nicotine products, and stop trying to pressure politicians to pass laws/bans that serve no useful purpose. I'm sure their last card to "save the kids" will be to kill them off.

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 09:16 PM
link   
reply to post by dimburg

Of Course ! !. .. . It is ALL Bad for you.

BUT,. .. That is the Beauty of this Country.

THE RIGHT TO CHOOSE

If you want to smoke, .. That is O.K. With Me

If you DONT want to smoke, .. That is O.K. With Me Too.. .. Just don't interfere with my decision.

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 09:29 PM
link   

Excellent Point ! !

Why do transportation services not provide Smoking Sections,. .. . ? . .. Because,. . the people making those decisions are NON Smokers and thus exhibit Their " CONTROL " over the populace.

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 09:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by SilentKillah

Originally posted by Daedalus

Originally posted by SilentKillah
From my position... as a smoker who wants to quit, I can say that there are many times that I walk into 7 Eleven to get some water and wish that I hadn't seen tobacco products behind the counter. Had I not thought about them, I wouldn't have bought another pack in many instances.

so, because you're weak-willed, and have a self-control defect, it's a good idea to inconvenience others, and hurt businesses?

if you're trying to quit, then quit. do it, stick to it, and don't try to blame your fortitude deficiencies on anything other than what you see in the mirror.

Wow... an another hateful bash. Thank you all for the my flaws and alluding the fact that I have no self control.

I don't understand how having a curtain over something is an inconvenience. You still have to tell the person at the register what you want regardless of whether it's on a shelf behind them or in a drawer.

edit on 19-3-2013 by SilentKillah because: (no reason given)

it's not hateful, it's common sense. if you're gonna quit, then quit...don't whine about how you bought them because you saw them, that's bulls**t.

Yes, you still need to tell the clerk what you want, but then if they don't have it, you hafta pick an alternate, and if they don't have the alternate, you hafta pick an alternate alternate, and all the while, you're holding up everyone else on the line.

if you could see them, you can see what they have, and don't have, and make your decision quick.

if you decide to quit, and can't, that means you don't have the will to follow through, and you have a self-control issue. i'm not pissing on you for it, i'm just pointing out that it's a thing, and that it's a cop-out to blame it on anything other than your own control issues. take responsibility for your flaws, own them...there's no shame in it
edit on 19-3-2013 by Daedalus because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 10:08 PM
link   
reply to post by BanTv

snus is not a safe alternative to cigarettes...

e-cigs, while kinda cool, have their own set of dangers, the most severe of which is if you use them extensively, you run the risk of the battery exploding, and blowing off half your face.. and for the higher end ones, you almost hafta have a PHD to get the same kind of nicotine output, and mouth feel, not to mention the size of the damned things...i'm sorry, but i don't wanna hafta do science, or carry around a mini pipe-bomb..i'd rather just light the damned cigarette, and smoke it, like a normal person..

and lastly, you say that hiding them is less bad than the other things they wanna do....so you advocate the lesser of two evils...how about we have NO evils? how about politicians just leave people alone, and let them f**king live?

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 10:31 PM
link   
we have that here in canada and its a good thing, cigarettes kill muh fuhs hide em all

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 10:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Petriclivicus

Bloomberg is A Waste Of Oxygen Now He Wants To Hide Cigarettes

usnews.nbcnews.com...

If New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg gets his way, stores won't be able to publicly display tobacco products and will have to keep cigarettes under the counter or behind curtains.

The legislation announced Monday is the latest public-health crackdown by the mayor, whose ban on super-sized sugary soft drinks was shot down by a judge last week.

The proposed law would "prohibit display of tobacco products" in most retail shops, Bloomberg said. "Such displays suggest smoking is a normal activity and invite young people to experiment with tobacco."

(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on Mon Mar 18 2013 by DontTreadOnMe because: attempt to fix link

!
More evidence to my theory....Censorship only leads to ignorance and stupidity. Thanks!
Good thing the right/left embrace the concept equally. Or we may be in real trouble....

When people O.D. this is why, sometimes it's carelessness, or stupidity. But, mostly it's ignorance. Just because you perceive something as bad doesn't mean you should lock it away. On the contrary, you should keep it out in the open to remind you. No good has ever come from forced ignorance. The best part about censorship at the end of the day is the fact, despite all the effort. It doesn't work.
edit on 19-3-2013 by Mykey057420 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 10:53 PM
link   

The transportation system has no control. All public transportation is non-smoking because the government implemented bans of smoking. They are forbidden by law to provide these services to a quarter of the poppulation.

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 11:00 PM
link   

Well,. .. If you go back to the Seventies, .. you will see that airlines had already started to implement smoking bans on flights.

The last time I checked, the government did not own any "Controlling" Interest in any airlines.

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 11:16 PM
link   
With 80 % of high school graduates in New York unable to read or pass the college entrance exams, it is good to see the honorable Mayor Nanny Mcdouchery has sugary drinks and cigarettes on his top priority list.. .eye roll

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 11:20 PM
link   

Yes, I agree. One or two airlines did voluntarily ban smoking on short flights but the smoking ban for all air travel was banned by the government.

ash.org...

Not only that but the government also banned international airlines that allowed smoking from landing at US airports!

The government has no controlling interest in privately owned bars and restaurants either but they not only banned smoking on private property but also deputized owners and staff of these establishments to enforce the ban under penalty of massive fines and loss of license to operate

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 01:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Daedalus

A month ago I believed that 'Tobacco in mouth=Horrible mouth cancer'. Apparently this is NOT true. It is another lie perpetuated by the anti-tobacco nazis. They don't want safer alternatives to be available to smokers. They want you to quit or DIE.

Unbiased Article on Swedish Snus

"There is no debate that snus is less harmful than cigarettes. The tobacco in snus is steam pasteurized, not fermented like other spit tobacco products, including chewing tobacco. This process, developed in Sweden, kills the microbes that create some of the cancer-causing toxins found in other smokeless tobacco products. Snus also doesn’t have the dangerous combustion products that cigarettes do, and there is little to no risk of lung cancer....The researchers did not find an increase in oral cancer among snus users, but many experts contend that it is nevertheless a risk. “The evidence [from our study] was clearly reassuring with regard to oral cancer, which was perhaps contrary to our prior expectations,” said Hans-Olov Adami, M.D., Ph.D., professor of epidemiology at the Harvard School of Public Health."

E-cigs aren't dangerous, ignorance+lithium is. The few cases of exploding batteries shown on the news doesn't prove e-cigs will blow up in your mouth for no reason. That Florida man rigged up a home-made device, which is dangerous with ANY lithium battery if you don't understand how they work. The e-cig commmunity has done an AMAZING job self-regulating the industry for the safety of all. Everything from warning people of potential dangers to making sure the Chinese manufacturers use better materials and better quality control. Many U.S. based juice vendors have taken the initiative to properly label their nic juice and add child-proof caps.

Warning about Nic for DIY Juice
Warning about Flavorings_The only real unknown
Battery Safety

Go buy a hobby-grade electric R/C car w/o knowing anything about lithium batteries, and I promise you will blow up a battery and maybe even burn your house down. The best things in life require a little knowledge. It's easier to just light up, but we all sacrifice something by doing/buying what's "easy". Quality, health, money, etc. Whatever floats your boat.

Lastly, I think hiding cigarettes is ridiculous, but not evil. They aren't banning the right to smoke. It literally does nothing to keep you from smoking. It's not a huge deal IMO. I wouldn't start a revolution over it. Yes, I agree they should stay out of our lives, but that isn't going to happen. All we can do is give and take, we have to be reasonable if we want the other side to be reasonable. I personally would love to cruise around in an electric-assist velomobile or 50cc scooter with no license/registration required. Unfortunately the stupid ones among us screw it up for everyone. If there weren't idiots, we COULD be flying around like the Jetsons. On one hand we want 100% freedom, and on the other hand they have to keep society somewhat functional.
edit on 20-3-2013 by BanTv because: teh evil!

edit on 20-3-2013 by BanTv because: forgot

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 02:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by TiredofControlFreaks
reply to post by kykweer

No sweetie - I am absolutely dead serious and I invite my fellow smokers to speak up now and identify that they are also serious!

How did you go from discussing display bans to bashing smokers as dirty people who litter (as if no one else does)?

Are you sure you are not the troll here?

Tired of Control Freaks

No I'n not saying all smokers litter, but there is no excuse for it. you simply can't justify littering with an attitude and I will keep bashing litters that simply have no respect for anyone else, and this topic is about smokers, and I have a serious pet peeve about smokers just throwing their cigarettes all over the place. It's disgusting and I know it's probably a small percentage of littering, but with billions of cigarettes being smoked in a week its most definately makes a contribution. You most certainly can't justify it, I too will protest more bins or means of disposal are readily available, but by the way your posting it seems like you wouldn't even walk 10 feet.

You keep emphasizing your the victim... Would you even ask people around you if you wanted to smoke?
edit on 20-3-2013 by kykweer because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 02:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by TiredofControlFreaks
reply to post by kykweer

My dear kykweer

How does it bother you (or anyone) if an airline should wish to cater to smokers? If they hired pilots and stewardesses and cleaning staff and mechanics for planes dedicated to providing service to smokers?

Again - you show how intolerant, self-centered and and controlling you really are! You demand the right to control the personal behavior of people you don't know, in places where you don't have to go.

Explain to me why some planes can't be dedicated to smokers? Why some trains can't have smoking cars? Why some pubs and some restaurants and some movie theatres can't be dedicated to providing service to smokers (About a quarter of the population.

what reason could there possibly be for refusal to provide services to a quarter of the population and deny people the business opportunities?

Tired of Control Freaks

But you cant just chill out in the aisle and smoke between people who don't want you to smoke! I could only maybe justify smoking on a plane on a specially made compartment etc, but it's just not practical or economical, then also there is some safety concerns that would just make us go into a whole new debate. An airline company that cordons off about 20%of the capacity of the airplane to smokers sometimes would likely go out of business quite quick, and smokers would cry and moan if an airline has a plane for smokers because the demand would be quite high and ticket prices would be extremely high and unreasonable.

So suck it up it's only a short journey.

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 02:29 AM
link   
reply to post by kykweer

Seriously? Your pet-peeve is littering a bio-degradable product? The tobbacco is gone in a few months and the filter last not much longer than a decade.... Plastic should be a much bigger concern for you. It doesn't go anywhere ever. And there is an island in the pacific made of it.

I live to annoy people like you.

edit on 20-3-2013 by Mykey057420 because: Spelling mistake.

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 04:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Mykey057420

Well it still takes long, it looks bad.

Maybe people like you are the reason smoking gets banned from so many places.

ETA: As I have referred to many times, this topic is about cigarettes. And a ban from smoking in public will never be lifted and smoking would probably get banned in more places til smokers learn self control and leave their spiteful attitude.
edit on 20-3-2013 by kykweer because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 04:29 AM
link   
no one is stopping you from smoking. no one is stopping you from buying cigarettes. the desire is simply to move them out of sight.

the stupidity being displayed on this thread is disturbing.

it doesn't reflect very well on ATS and the american public.

people going into a rage because somebody wants to keep cigarettes out of view. it simply might prevent a few kids from taking up the addictive and harmful habit.

some people really need to relax. go and have a cigarette and clam down

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 05:37 AM
link   
reply to post by kykweer

Now you are deliberately twisting my point

I am talking about dedicating a whole plane to smokers. There are many flights that leave from the same point of entry and fly to the same destinations throughout a day. Why can't there be a separate flight for smokers.

Why can't there be a separate train car for smokers?

Why can't some bars and restaurants be smoking bars and restaurants?

Then all you have to do to ensure your preference is choose to patronize flights, train cars, bars and restaurants that choose not to cater to smokers.

As for littering - I could not care less for your opinion! Why should I? People like you will never be happy until you have completely demonized smokers, robbed them blind with excessive taxes and in general, denied them the right to participate in society in the manner that they choose?

Explain to me why I should care about your opinion?

Why can't I have an ashtray in my own private vehicle? Why can't there be ashtrays in convenient spots where smokers gather? There are convenient trash cans for people to dispose of garbage but littering is still a problem.
Why should I, who is denied an ashtray and has no safe means of disposal of butts, not also litter?

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 05:43 AM
link   
reply to post by BanTv

BanTV

Its not smoking that causes oral/pharageal cancers - its HPV. The same virus that causes cervical cancer.

www.cancer.gov...

They have identified HPV as the direct cause of about 80 % of all oral/pharangeal cancers and are now looking for more strains of HPV that cause those cancers.

So the next time you see those god-awful commercials with people who have holes in their throat - remember that it was not tobacco that they put in their mouths to get cancer. HPV is a sexually transmitted virus.

Tired of Control Freaks

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join