It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bloomberg is A Waste Of Oxygen Now He Wants To Hide Cigarettes

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 04:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Daedalus

I didn't mention "the children" because I'm some naive fool who thinks they care about our health. Saving "the children" is the mind-set of ignorant anti-nicotine and tobacco zealots. I'm sure some of them have good intentions, but the guys at the top are in bed with Big Pharma. They would love for all smokers to just die off, and then not allow any new tobacco sales to anyone born after a certain year (let's say 2000).

This is disgusting because there are safer alternatives to smoking, like the e-cig or snus. It's called Tobacco Harm Reduction, and they're even against that. The mentality is "quit or die", no exceptions. Now they're attacking Nicotine as if THAT is why cigarettes are so dangerous to health. The reason I say hiding cigarettes is not so terrible, is because I know they want MUCH WORSE as far as interfering with peoples free will to smoke or not. This is NOTHING, and actually seems reasonable considering how much more they would like to do.

Big Pharma wants you to buy their NRT products or dangerous drugs like Chantix. They're trying to kill the e-cig industry because it cuts into profits and they would rather us just DIE. THAT is a problem to me, not putting cigs out of sight. You know what you want at the gas station, why the hell does it matter? This isn't some attack on freedom.

You're making a big deal out of NOTHING. One of these days you might need or want to quit smoking for health reasons, and guess what? E-Cigs are going to be taxed to hell and less effective than they are now. FDA is proposing regulations next month, and every smoker here better hope it's nothing crazy, because one day you may just want to quit smoking without having to give up the nic addiction.

Think e-cigs are over-priced, useless gimmicks? The ones at the mall and gas station are. Start at 4:10 for demo

I feel this is on topic because we're dealing with anti nicotine and tobacco zealots. They are the ones pushing politicians to ban e-cigs and create new laws like hiding cigs out of sight. Some of their demands are insane and potentially risking the lives of current smokers, others are somewhat reasonable like 'no vaping on a plane' and putting cigs behind a door. Big Fn deal.
edit on 19-3-2013 by BanTv because: clarity

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 05:07 PM
link   
The cigs and tobacco etc are hidden in locked cupboards now, in BC Canada.
Its kind of stupid, cos we can still buy them, we know they are there behind the doors.
They aren't sold at checkouts anymore. You have to go over to the customer service counter to get them.

If they stopped selling them altogether or only at certain stores it would piss me off. Its my business if I want to smoke.

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 05:48 PM
link   
reply to post by SilentKillah

SilentKillah

It is not me that you must define why you wish to quit - its YOU!

While you are correct in that individuals act and think differently. Groups of people act the same. We ALL have first order and second order preference.

There is something about smoking that you enjoy! Identify it - that will help you define why your first order preference is to smoke.

I can 100 % guantee you that you do not need the government to help you quit smoking. Somewhere in the 50 million people who have quit, there is someone JUST LIKE YOU. They managed and so can you!

You are an adult. You have a job that you must manage. You have children you must raise. You probably have property that must also be managed. You have an intimate relationship with another adult.

What the heck makes you think that you are so pathetic that you need the government to step in and manage your personal life? And what makes you think that if the government were to magically erase your trigger, that you just wouldn't turn around and find another (ooooh....saw a smoker, laughing and talking with to other smokers - now I need a smoke).

Just how far are you willing to reach to blame someone else for your lack of control?

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 05:58 PM
link   
reply to post by BanTv

BanTV

It is no imposition on YOU and therefore its unimportant.

In ontario - after the display ban, 2500 convenience store owners went out of business as a direct result of the loss of cigarette sales and the costs of following the law.

In Canada - with a complete ban on advertising, cigarette companies have only one way of communicating with its customers about new brands etc. A display.

This is a freedom of speech issue.

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 06:01 PM
link   
This man is a buffoon, and so is anyone who subscribes to his nanny state beliefs.

I can't put into words how much I hate people like Bloomberg. He is probably, now, as I am typing this thinking up some other ridiculous way he can get government into the common man's business.

Wouldn't surprise me to hear some asinine plan to put government cameras at fast food places, and anyone caught eating there will be subject to fines and/or a "fast food" tax. Taking pictures of your license plate, the whole nine yards. Confiscating property if you can't pay your "fast food" fine.

This man is dangerous in the extreme, as are others like him.

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 06:02 PM
link   
bloomy has his heart in the right place, but his methods are over the top here

you got your ban in public places mikey, now just chill

I'm an ex-smoker, it's a really stupid habit, but as long as it is legal to buy and use ya gotta allow people to buy and use it

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 06:10 PM
link   
reply to post by octotom

Maybe your a smoker and maybe not. Most likely Not. A Huge majority of the stores around here have a large inventory of cigarettes. We are talking like $100,000.00 worth of cigarettes. You will not be hiding that with a $20.00 Curtain. Have you priced curtains lately ? In any event, let's just say the curtain is $50.00. How about the guy that has done well enough to have 10 stores? That's $500.00.
So realistically it can't be done with a $20.00 curtain.

edit on 19-3-2013 by Petriclivicus because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 06:17 PM
link   
reply to post by kykweer

My dear kykweer

How does it bother you (or anyone) if an airline should wish to cater to smokers? If they hired pilots and stewardesses and cleaning staff and mechanics for planes dedicated to providing service to smokers?

Again - you show how intolerant, self-centered and and controlling you really are! You demand the right to control the personal behavior of people you don't know, in places where you don't have to go.

Explain to me why some planes can't be dedicated to smokers? Why some trains can't have smoking cars? Why some pubs and some restaurants and some movie theatres can't be dedicated to providing service to smokers (About a quarter of the population.

what reason could there possibly be for refusal to provide services to a quarter of the population and deny people the business opportunities?

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 06:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Petriclivicus

As long as my money, in one way or another, is being used due to the consequences of YOUR poor decisions, these choices are backed by me 100%.

I'd like the OP to answer if they support laws requiring you to wear a seat belt while driving or wear a helmet when riding a motorcycle or bicycle? I'm not trying to catch you in a hypocritical act or something like that. This is more aimed to back my point above and see if you enjoy having your tax dollars going to the treatment of health related issues due to poor choices.
edit on 19-3-2013 by SeriousIndividual because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 06:29 PM
link   

Fags and fizzy drinks (even sugar free 1s) are bad for your health...as simple as that

Didn't you know this OP?

You should be praising your mayor, not criticizing him!!

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 06:31 PM
link   

Breitbart.com has uncovered video from 1995 of then-U.S. Attorney Eric Holder announcing a public campaign to "really brainwash people into thinking about guns in a vastly different way."
Holder was addressing the Woman's National Democratic Club. In his remarks, broadcast by CSPAN 2, he explained that he intended to use anti-smoking campaigns as his model to "change the hearts and minds of people in Washington, DC" about guns.

"What we need to do is change the way in which people think about guns, especially young people, and make it something that's not cool, that it's not acceptable, it's not hip to carry a gun anymore, in the way in which we changed our attitudes about cigarettes."

www.breitbart.com...

New York: no sody pop, no ciggies, no guns:
its an incremental approach to becoming North Korea

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 06:34 PM
link   

How can Any CITY Political Figure Pass a Law Against something that is Legal to begin with ? Sounds quite Unconstitutional to me ......

edit on 19-3-2013 by Zanti Misfit because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 06:41 PM
link   
reply to post by octotom

How much does it cost to buy a curtain? $20 maybe?

This is logistics for implementation, yes it will add a bit of cost, but really, a curtain over a shelf with cigarettes? Or if you have to hide cartons under the counter.... could be more of a problem depending on the outlay of the store but in my view, the real issue is a Mayor who has nothing else to do in his big city but worry about Big Gulp sodas and hiding cigarettes from minors....it has to do with control and the Nanny State, which Bloomberg seems quite cozy with.

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 07:09 PM
link   
reply to post by TiredofControlFreaks

I appreciate your response. That's interesting about the stores closing. If a regular customer or even stranger walked in and asked "you don't sell cigarettes?", the store owner couldn't answer in the affirmative? I don't understand why it would make so many places go out of business.

I actually would be affected because I'm still smoking until I have all my vaping supplies. I still wouldn't care about hidden smokes. In America there really isn't such thing as "New brands". IMHO this goes a little deeper than a scumbag mayor trying to limit freedom of speech. I know for a fact this is the direct result of lobbying from groups like ACS, ALA, ASH, etc. This is about the tobacco industry killing competition, Big Pharma killing competition, anti nicotine and tobacco zealots along with politicians being paid off by BP to demonize e-cigs, corruption and conflicts of interest. I'll admit, hiding smokes doesn't seem to fit anywhere in there besides the ANTZ just hating tobacco. Anyways, here's a link. The FDA isn't allowing any new tobacco products on the market, even if they are healthier than cigarettes, like Swedish snus, e-cigs, new organic smokes, and other less harmful alternatives.

www.e-cigarette-forum.com...

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 07:15 PM
link   
I hope all of you have at least started making your own (RYO). You're free to smoke vinyl, but I wouldn't recommend it. For those that do, the regulations next month will get rid of that "pipe-tobacco" loophole, so ya better stock up now if you wanna save some $$$. You're welcome

edit on 19-3-2013 by BanTv because: SAVE $$$

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 07:18 PM
link   
reply to post by BanTv

BanTv

I understand and agree with everything you say. There is no doubt that Big Pharma is doing everything it can to shut down any competition of its ineffective and sometimes lethal, smoking cessation products. Its worth 2 billion dollars a year right now.

Why should anyone care if someone chooses to use SNU's (tea bags with tobacco in them). It certainly doesn't affect others. Same with vaping.

I choose not to vape myself. I prefer tobacco. However, my understanding is that e-cigs mimic the hand to mouth motion of smoking and thousands of smokers are reporting their ability to quit smoking (or at least cut down).

Its a testiment to the intolerance, selfishness and hypocrisy of anti-smokers.

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 07:21 PM
link   
reply to post by dimburg

Dr. Pepper and being a lazy idiot destroyed my mouth. $15,000 later, yeah I don't think they should have soda machines in schools. Besides that, people should be free to drink a gallon of soda if they want. Every bottle should have a picture of my teeth though that says "Brush yo damn teeth, son!"

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 07:22 PM
link   
he is messing with big tobacco now. he dun goofed. if it is legal to sell, they have a right to display it. he'll end up getting sued. they have the best lawyers.

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 07:24 PM
link   
They sound so legit with those projects of law but in the end, it's all about money. In a near future, they will tell you what to do with your money. They will target everything useless to them that cost a lot of money: junk food, smokes, guns an so on. You'll have more money in your wallet and they'll want it all .
They wont lose any revenues.

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 07:38 PM
link   
reply to post by BanTv

BanTV

All I can say is:

A man may be a fool, even a damned fool, but unless he is free to make those choices, then he is no more free than a dog!

Tired of Control freaks

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join