It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

100 years into the future

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 06:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Advantage

Over reliance on technology creates an environment ripe for Idiocracy.
Intellectual Escape Velocity is important when looking at development, over-reliance and even dependency on technologies over a very short time.

Cognitive horsepower is biologically expensive. Falling into the trap of dependence on technologies before we can adequately and successfully design ourselves out of the evolution game into directed self-design is hazardous as nature will do away will all our wonderful mental mass if we're not using it.

Any technological augments and enhancements we then have will progressively become prosthetic dependencies just to to function 'normally'.

Civilization will then eventually implode.

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Teikeon

Originally posted by Advantage

Much more people ( regardless of the depop group) and far fewer languages

The bit about languages intrigues me. So you think some languages will disappear/merge? Leaving only a few major languages left, very interesting. I could see that happening. Maybe by then we'll be on our way to integrating into a single language for our entire species. Could you imagine?

Ive imagined only 4 languages... but that goes along with homogenization of culture and blurring of ethnicities.

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 06:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Druscilla

Over reliance on technology creates an environment ripe for Idiocracy.
Intellectual Escape Velocity is important when looking at development, over-reliance and even dependency on technologies over a very short time.

Cognitive horsepower is biologically expensive. Falling into the trap of dependence on technologies before we can adequately and successfully design ourselves out of the evolution game into directed self-design is hazardous as nature will do away will all our wonderful mental mass if we're not using it.

Any technological augments and enhancements we then have will progressively become prosthetic dependencies just to to function 'normally'.

Civilization will then eventually implode.

Absolutely. Hence my Gatorade remark.
BUT.. there are interesting advancements in nootropics. I dont think it will help much though. We are doomed to suicide by machine.

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 06:49 PM
link   

I fear if this isn't recognized, if we don't give attention to self engineering a bootstrap toward willful transhuman transition, our species is doomed to extinction within the next 1500 years.

We'll be too domesticated by then to survive in the wild as survivalist primitives in what remains of an overtaxed and abused ecosystem.
The likelihood of a bounce back up the ladder is unlikely the further the feedback loop of intellectual deficit grows.

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 06:55 PM
link   
there probably won't be much left in 100 years.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 06:57 PM
link   
There isn't going to be anything 100 years from now, because I will be dead and my holographic addition of the universe will cease to exist. What will happen after I'm dead? Nothing. Because without me here to experience it, it doesn't exist.

Well, you say, only for you. And I reply, "What else matters?"

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 06:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Druscilla

You make a very interesting point that I hadn't considered, and it applied to both my threads. This reliance on tech is a new phenomenon, I mean really new, within our lifetimes. It wasn't so long ago that a solar storm knocked all the telegraph lines out of service and people were unable to send telegraphs. Most simply shrugged their shoulders and went on about their lives until the lines were fixed. Could you imagine what would happen now if a solar storm shocked us with a global EMP? We would be completely lost. Most vehicles made after 1985 won't even run if the chip is friend because the computer that controls all the relays relies on a single small chip. Everything would go down, billions would be totally dumbfounded. I think some would actually go through withdraw and others would take their own lives. That would be a new phenomenon all its own. It would induce a post-apocalyptic scenario without the nukes or the bio-weapons. Just looting and craziness because everything went dark.

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 06:59 PM
link   
We'll be partying like it's 1899 after technology fails, a new plague wipes out 2/3 of the population and power is no longer produced

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 07:00 PM
link   
Or it will be very similar to the movie Idiocracy

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 07:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blue Shift
There isn't going to be anything 100 years from now, because I will be dead and my holographic addition of the universe will cease to exist. What will happen after I'm dead? Nothing. Because without me here to experience it, it doesn't exist.

Well, you say, only for you. And I reply, "What else matters?"

Hah, someone just took it to a whole new level, nice.

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 07:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Teikeon

The situation you outline regarding EMP via CME would only be a hiccup. We still have our brains.
The effects of technology, however, are already evident in their impact on our cognitive functioning.

20 years ago every significant phone number you needed to call, or called on a regular basis, you had memorized.
Now?
Your phone remembers it for you.
Your phone remembers all your phone numbers.

This is the kind of technological cognitive dependency I'm talking about.
More and more we'll become increasingly reliant on our machines to remember and even think for us instead of just doing it ourselves with the equipment we have right between our ears.

The more we rely on and depend on these machines to remember and think for us, the less we'll use our actual brains for remembering and thinking.
Brains are biologically expensive.
Nature will will start pruning the bush if we're not using it, and as a result we'll get increasingly more stupid over a slow and gradual decent into idiocracy. It'll be a slow decline and too slow for anyone to really recognize what's happening before it's too late to do anything about it.

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 07:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Druscilla

Very good analogy with the phone numbers.

So, we either will come to a point where we get past this reliance, OR we become completely reliant on tech and machines for everything, even our bodily functions. First as cyborgs, then as "ghosts in the machine". I could see that happening. We will probably find a way to take the next step and completely plunge down the rabbit hole that has become tech advancement and fully integrate ourselves with our creations, effectively becoming immortal and upgradable.

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 07:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Teikeon

Frank Herbert's Dune series is based off of an inverse to this principle.
In the Dune Universe, thinking machines are outlawed. As a result of this law, a subset of humans called Mentats develop themselves as human biological computers.
There are other parallels, similarities, and outlines throughout the science fiction Canon.

What I'm talking about regarding over-reliance would result in us becoming too stupid too fast to ever self evolve into machine life.

Developing means by which we can indeed download into machines would achieve intellectual escape velocity giving us 'thrust' enough in hardware processing power, clock speed, and/or raw dangling quantum computing power to work out the next steps in our evolution.

The other alternative over becoming machines is to design new biological bodies where the augmentations and enhancements are hereditary. We could then have a GATTACA world where augmented people naturally propagate their genes across the species as a stop-gap against devolution until we get to a point where we can start wearing different bodies like clothes such that we're essentially immortal.

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 07:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by kristobal

Any of the above would be amazing and I agree they would change things in huge ways, I also think there is a progression to the list you provided, that one scenario could possibly lead to an acceleration of any of the others.

That is a really good point, and I've been thinking about the possibility these could be interconnected as well, but I haven't been able to sort out my thoughts on that yet.

What I believe more and more, is that we need an evolutionary unified theory that encompasses not just physics and biological evolution, but technological and memetic evolution as well. If you are interested in this line of reasoning, check out Evo/Devo cosmology.

Some (so far only marginal) thinkers have proposed similar -- see for example Kurzweil's view of accelerating history, or Terrence McKenna's 'timewave zero' concepts. For now these are quack concepts, without rigorous scientific testability. But as with many things, eventually these ideas could gain more mainstream scientific support.

We will then be asking questions like, "did technology invent humans or the other way around?"

If anyone is interested, we should compile a list. After doing a little research we could find what technologies are advancing at the highest rate, giving us an idea of what things are going to come first. One advancement begets another, and a domino effect may be just on the horizon for humanity. This is the thought that lead me to start my other thread about catalysts for human evolution. I'm wondering what is going to be the first domino that starts the rapid development and makes all the others fall into place? I'm going to exclude contact with ET because that can go either really good for us or very, very bad.

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 11:37 PM
link   
Did any of you realize that many posters here on ATS will probably still be alive in 100 years and will actually be able to come back to this thread and update it?

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 10:50 AM
link   

reply to post by mclinking

That's a very grim outlook of things, and as for things staying the same I can guarantee you they won't. The only constant is change, and change is the only guaranteed truth. What my original question pertained to was; what type of change given a specific span of time did the members of ATS feel was plausible. While my opinion of your outlook is a dark one, I have to agree that it is a possibility and we should explore all possible outcomes, even the ones we don't like thinking about. Like I said before *I* personally am a bit more optimistic, but I do believe that we will probably need some sort of catalyst or unifying scenario in order to bring people to the same level of thinking. What type of catalysts are possible besides the ones that were mentioned like contact with ET's, life extension, A.I., etc.

Maybe some would consider an Ice Age a catalyst in itself for human evolution? Does anyone think that its possible that the previous Ice Age worked as a catalyst of some kind for our species? Or did it work against us?

I'm loving the ideas so far, there's been a balance of both post-apocalyptic scenarios brought up as well as ideas that see our future in a more positive light. I'll gather my thoughts soon and post my own hypothesis. Thanks to everyone who participated thus far. Much Love.

An Ice Age a catalyst for human evolution? Well, it was in a way. We DID survive, but at a terrible cost. For instance during this ice age, explorers sailed to other parts of the world and the potato was discovered in S America and brought back to Europe. Sadly, the French king, who had eaten the potato, urged his citizens to grow it, but they refused, were too rooted in growing cereal crops, and thousands died needlessly. But the potato took hold and became the staple diet of Ireland. Here again, disaster took place in 1848 when a series of 3 cold wet Summers gave rise to potato blight - the vegetable went black, totally inedible - and millions died of starvation. The irony of that was this species of the potato was totally ill-adapted to very wet conditions and another variety, like King Enward's, would have probably grown.
Yes, men became more resourceful, just had to, adapted. Yet some didn't. Apparently, the Vikings, great navigators who discovered Greenland, were completely wiped out in that part of the world by refusing to have anything to do with the Inuits whom they regarded as inferior. Well, the Ice Age began in earnest in that part of the world : the Eskimos survived and the Vikings... didn't..
edit on 19-3-2013 by mclinking because: missed word out

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Transhumanism, which will allow mass Spiritual Enlightenment through consciousness downloads.

There will be pockets of groups and people that will remain outside of the Enlightenment, such as hardliner Atheist groups as well as old school Fundamentalist Religious groups (Catholics, Muslims, Jews).... and these will be the groups that still cause the remaining world's problems.

The Enlightenment Ones will live in selfless peace, Utopian society with anti-gravity, wormhole travel tech, in communication with Advanced civilizations, robots do most of our physical work allowing us to focus primarily on intellectual and spiritual advancement pursuits.

We'll have zero point tech and various forms of fusion based clean energy. Big emphasis on non-gmo farming and general food production will be at the forefront. Driverless A.I. anti-gravity vehicles, and also Matrix like consciousness transfer video games and everything taught will be instant download

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 03:36 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

But they'd have to still be in the womb or around 3 years old right now. The most people live is like 105 years. Except that one person who was like 113 or something. If I live to be exactly 100, I'll die on march 31, 2073

That year looks SO WICKED to write. Just had to point that out. But basically, 2073 WILL be 100 years for me ,but not 100 years from this day and year right now. Depends how you're looking at it, Beezzer

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 03:52 AM
link   
Lets hope that we have evolved quickly enough to advance ourselves, The soul can soar in higher consciousness through the cosmos, and that is how we transcend, we overcome the earth, but its going to be freeking Awsome to have my own space car / craft Im also going to other less evolved planets, not to play God, but have some fun with them and blow their minds and break all their rules....Its going to be a hit on planet X reality show.... keep watching you may even be a contestant without even knowing

.................................--

Above
pic taken of my space car as I fly though the sky of less evolved beings

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 07:28 AM
link   
We most likely will not be here in 100 years.

When we crossed the galactic plane Dec 2012 we entered the galactic 'slip plane', Kinda like how a ship at sea goes over that little ridge into the downward spiral in a movie after getting too close to a whirlpool. We are now circling the 'inlet' vortex of the dark rift.

So my prediction? All planets in the system will continue getting closer to each other and getting hotter, resonances will continue to increase as density of space does. Time will change (slowly) but exponentially. Poles will continue to shift (because of the strength of downward spiral gravitational forces, not the other reasons offered.) Geomagnetism will continue to decrease, more meteorites and space debris in the thicker space will fall to Earth, solar activity will become more erratic/violent as under the stronger forces. Disasters on Earth that will continue to get much worse. These will probably wipe us out long before the moon hits us, or the sun gets us.

I've spent the last few weeks on this trying to work out exact dates, but there are way too many variables.
edit on 21-3-2013 by BornOfSin because: spelling

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join