It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can you Deny Reincarnation exists?

page: 8
<< 5  6  7   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 05:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

Most Christians take that as meaning "he came in the spirit of Elias".... but then HE wouldn't BE Elias would he?
I'm not sure which version you are quoting.
The story here is that Jesus affirms his identity as the Messiah, but does not want anyone saying he is because they don't understand the role of the Messiah and the negative aspects of all it entails.
Jesus first has to be killed and then resurrected.
This creates a problem in the minds of the disciples because the pop-culture version of the day was that first Elijah has to come before there is the resurrection.
Jesus is making the point that he can be resurrected now because Elijah already came, in the person, John the Baptist.
"If you can accept this" he says.
Which means, 'don't get caught up in the details of what amounts to just folklore anyway'.

ETA: at the risk of contradicting what I just posted an hour ago, I did do some reading, and you can follow along if you like, in Mark: Hermeneia, by Yarbro Collins.
She states that Jesus is drawing a parallel between himself and John, and the Son of Man and Elijah, in way of saying something like, "OK, let's go with that, Elijah comes, then the Son of Man. Well, Elijah was John, and they killed him. The Son of Man is myself, and they are going to kill me, too."
edit on 21-3-2013 by jmdewey60 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 10:32 PM
link   
Ask a politician, anything is deniable. I don't believe in reincarnation. At one time I did believe it and that was for many years. A run in with a demon caused me to re-think everything I believed and everything I questioned.

As for reincarnation, I can so easily see how the devil could use this as a ploy. You think he doesn't remember people that have gone before you? If you open you mind wide enough, he can walk right in and you find yourself believing his bs and eating it like candy without even suspecting that your thoughts were influenced at all.

If my 2 cents offended your sacred cow, just blow it off. It would be a dull world if we were all on the same page.

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 10:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by sad_eyed_lady
Ask a politician, anything is deniable. I don't believe in reincarnation. At one time I did believe it and that was for many years. A run in with a demon caused me to re-think everything I believed and everything I questioned.

As for reincarnation, I can so easily see how the devil could use this as a ploy. You think he doesn't remember people that have gone before you? If you open you mind wide enough, he can walk right in and you find yourself believing his bs and eating it like candy without even suspecting that your thoughts were influenced at all.

If my 2 cents offended your sacred cow, just blow it off. It would be a dull world if we were all on the same page.

sacred cow?!?! LOL wut???

I personally don't believe "the devil" exists...

Satan represents materialism... Satan is not some mystical spiritual entity that goes around influencing people's thoughts...

That's my two cents...

Thanks for your reply... and wtf is the cow thing about?

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 05:08 PM
link   
Reincarnation as taught by early Christian's.
www.theosophy-nw.org...

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 06:08 PM
link   
reply to post by LABTECH767

Reincarnation as taught by early Christian's.
Acording to the article you linked to, Origen is referred to:

And in De Principiis he says that "the soul has neither beginning nor end."

That's one of the things I get some flack for bringing up, but it does not necessarily follow that reincarnation happens.

We can be "eternal" without having an eternal presence in a material form.
edit on 22-3-2013 by jmdewey60 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 06:17 PM
link   
reply to post by jmdewey60

True but what is of god (soul) must return to god and what is of the earth must return to the earth (dust to dust and ashes to ashes) so how do you define a soul, I once had an experience I will not share except to say that what I experienced was the death of my soul and the survival of something beyond that call it pure consciouseness and being found by something stronger than what had ? and sent back by that being, when you experience these thing's they are real at least for the experiencer and if somebody is going to say as I once upon a time would have myself "Fantasy prone imagination" well erm no as my fantasy would have had wealth, beautifull woman and nice weather not horror and terror.

Do I believe in reincarnation, well I don't disbelieve and as a Christian I have to say as has been quoted already on this thread for god all thing's are possible.

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 07:30 PM
link   
reply to post by LABTECH767

. . . once had an experience I will not share except to say that what I experienced was the death of my soul and the survival of something beyond that call it pure consciouseness and being found by something stronger than what had ?
I have had experiences which I do share on this forum from time to time, and it is maybe similar to what I think you are describing.
I died, and came back to life, on two different occasions.
The 'insight' obtained by that sort of experience may be limited but it does draw things to a focus, I think, where you would devote more energy into understanding those things beyond this life than the average person would who has never experience something like that.

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 09:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by 3NL1GHT3N3D1
reply to post by NOTurTypical

Not much of a victory if your children are still starving and suffering 2,000 years later, but to each his own I guess.

I'd be very surprised if you could deny that either you, or your children don't have it MUCH better than the kids of 2000 years ago did.

So I don't believe "failure" is the correct word.

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 11:42 AM
link   
reply to post by ctdannyd

That just might be the problem though, people see that their life is all nice and cozy and forget to remember all the children in third world countries around the world starving and suffering every day.

I like to look outside of my little bubble every once in a while and take a look at how the state of the world is in general. All in all, the world is much worse off than it was 2,000 years ago with threats of invasion, nuclear war, starvation, poisoned crops, pollution, lies, mass shootings, genocides, etc., etc., etc. Can you really say we are better off today than we were back then?

Just because YOU have a comfortable life doesn't mean everyone else does too. I think it's pretty self-centered to believe the world is better off just because you are. Tell the people in Syria how they are better off today than 2,000 years ago, I'm sure they'd disagree with you.
edit on 24-3-2013 by 3NL1GHT3N3D1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 04:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

I believe reincarnation does exist...and that there is evidence of it in the bible. A quote from an article I have found.

(quote) "Having looked in some detail at what reincarnation is, we are in a position to further investigate what the Bible has to say about it. A number of the key Biblical passages supporting reincarnation have already been quoted, during the discussion of the concept, but there is more of this evidence to consider. The most well known is a series of passages which establish that John the Baptist was a reincarnation of Elijah:

"See, I will send my messenger, who will prepare the way before me. Then suddenly the LORD you are seeking will come to his temple; the messenger of the covenant, whom you desire, will come," says the LORD Almighty. (Malachi 3:1)

"See, I will send you the prophet Elijah before that great and dreadful day of the LORD comes." (Malachi 4:5)

But the angel said to him "do not be afraid, Zechariah; your wife Elizabeth will bear you a son, and you are to give him the name John…And he will go on before the Lord, in the spirit and power of Elijah…to make ready a people prepared for the Lord." (Luke 1:13,17) " (Unquote)

Link: www.markmason.net...

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7   >>

join