It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Bin Laden's Warning To Red States.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 1 2004 @ 11:24 AM
link   
Both Fox News and the NY Post are reporting a different version of the UBL tape translation than what was broadcast last Friday. The UBL tape was translated by the Middle East Media Research Institute who says that UBL stated US states that vote for Bush will be the enemy while those states that do not vote for Bush will not be the enemy

www.nypost.com
November 1, 2004 -- WASHINGTON - Osama bin Laden warned in his October Surprise video that he will be closely monitoring the state-by-state election returns in tomorrow's presidential race � and will spare any state that votes against President Bush from being attacked, according to a new analysis of his statement.

The respected Middle East Media Research Institute, which monitors and translates Arabic media and Internet sites, said initial translations of a key portion of bin Laden's video rant to the American people Friday night missed an ostentatious bid by the Saudi-born terror master to divide American voters and tilt the election towards Democratic challenger John Kerry.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

If this isn't a direct endorsement of Kerry by UBL, then I don't know what it is. It also says to me that UBL is directly threatening individual US States if they vote for Bush and not for Kerry.

Related News Links:
www.memri.org

[edit on 1-11-2004 by John bull 1]

posted on Nov, 1 2004 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Could this be the October surprise some felt was comming?

I honestly felt the surprise would be something to try to cause voters to vote for Bush-but what do I know.

posted on Nov, 1 2004 @ 11:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by MasterCoyote
If this isn't a direct endorsement of Kerry by UBL, then I don't know what it is.

If this isn't a last minute scramble to manipulate terror to the Republicans' advantage, I don't know what is.

Let us know when the Defense Dept. agrees with this "new" translation and sends a legitimate warning won't you?

posted on Nov, 1 2004 @ 11:30 AM
link   
That's their interpretation of what he's saying.
It's not a direct quote from him.

This is what he said:
"Your security is not in the hands of Kerry or Bush or Al-Qaeda. Your security is in your own hands, and any (US) state that does not belittle our security automatically guarantees its own security."

www.memritv.org...

There is another post about this on ATS:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Nov, 1 2004 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Both Fox News...

Personally I'd like to see this link. I'm watching FoxNews and surfing their site.

I can't get the POST link to open, but that they are quoting blogs as "news" doesn't surprise me.

But to the point on reporting FOX NEWS as saying this...I'd like to see that please.

posted on Nov, 1 2004 @ 11:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by RANT

But to the point on reporting FOX NEWS as saying this...I'd like to see that please.

I heard them report on it myself.
They had the guy from MEMRI on talking about it.

posted on Nov, 1 2004 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Both Fox News...

Okay, FOXNEWS is currently doing a live interview regarding bloggers and the election with specific analysis of the Bin Laden tape.

NADA. And the interview just wrapped up with NO MENTION of this.

I'm elevating my mood from skeptical to pissed. MasterCoyote, why did you sumbit this ALL CAPS alert to ATSNN as supported by FOX NEWS?

posted on Nov, 1 2004 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by AceOfBase

Originally posted by RANT

I heard them report on it myself.
They had the guy from MEMRI on talking about it.

Okay, then apologies to MC. At least they dropped the theme from the blogger interview I just saw on Bin Laden impact.

It's still crap by the way.

posted on Nov, 1 2004 @ 11:54 AM
link   
Coyote, I'd run if I were you. I've seenthat look in Rant's eyes before. We had to scrape up all our money to bail him out of jail afterward!

posted on Nov, 1 2004 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Both Fox News and the NY Post are reporting a different version of the UBL tape translation than what was broadcast last Friday. The UBL tape was translated by the Middle East Media Research Institute who says that UBL stated US states that vote for Bush will be the enemy while those states that do not vote for Bush will not be the enemy

Yeah, and...?

And are you implying that voting for Kerry is somehow supporting OBL? (Just as an aside--did you know that the KKK has thrown the full weight of their organization behind Bush? A vote for Bush would make the Grand Imperial Wizard ever-so-pleased. www.awkkkk.org... Ahem.)

Are you also implying that those of us that think that George Bush has failed miserably as a president should change our vote in response to a terrorist--or conversely, Bush supporters should vote for Kerry if they wish to rain on the Grand Wizard's parade?

(I might also ask if you think there is anything ironic about supporting the notion that Bush is capable of reducing terrorism over next four years even though by all indicators, the number of terrorist operatives, terrorist threats, and general fear of terrorism have increased during the past three years, but that is a conversation for another thread.)

But more importantly, do you honestly think that anyone should factor Osama bin Laden's wishes into their Bush/Kerry decision?

If you don't support this notion, stop trying to scare people with this fear-mongerist (is that a word?) crap. Perhaps this is why most news sources have decided to ignore this story... for now. I heard that the Bush campaign was running short on end-run funds and perhaps the networks are waiting for the checks to clear.

If you do think that people should consider what OBL wants when in the voting booth, you and the Bush senior strategist that called the OBL tape a "gift" should both have your heads examined.

In any case, stop reading the NY Post for anything other than juicy Page Six gossip.

Seriously, I live in New York and can see about 10 "Just say No to Bush" banners from my apartment window. On my way to the grocery store, I pass a 7 year old girl that has been selling her toys after school to raise money for Kerry & the DNC for the past few months. We are about as solid a blue state as can be and I don't think that terrorists will ever stop salivating over Times Square as a target.

posted on Nov, 1 2004 @ 03:21 PM
link   
Why the virulent responses from RANT and the other member?

Exactly what's chapping you guys' butts so bad? The member who reported on this didn't MEAN anything. He was trying to share information he had heard.

I don't think MEMRI means anything by it either. They were quoting an Islamist website concerning the interpretation of phrase. So once you weed out that the interpretation that OBL meant "every state that votes for Bush" could be on the hit list, and "every state that votes against Bush" won't be on the hit-list comes from the Islamist group and not this member of MEMRI, how in SAM HILL can you twist this around to be some Republican agenda?

For Christ's sake...you guys would gripe if I hung with a new rope.

Lighten up!

[edit on 11-1-2004 by Valhall]

posted on Nov, 1 2004 @ 03:30 PM
link   
I still can not be believe that we can allowed the "hoax" tapes or videos of bin-laden to change or maniputlated in any way our choices for who to vote, I find it hilarious that somebody's face in a video can be so poweful or that Americans will give him so much power.

posted on Nov, 1 2004 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Valhall

The realization that all is lost, my esteemed colleague from the Left has heightened (lowered actually) his rhetoric, grasping at any possible stone, no matter how diminutive to hurl against his hated foe. Four more years of seething, four more years of would have, should have... :shk:

The Right is not resorting to such measures (someone please use edsinger's name...), civility and decorum (and occasional light heartedness) being the norm.

RANT, I extend an invitation to the Evil Lair, for milk and cookies at your earliest convenience.

[edit on 1/11/2004 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Nov, 1 2004 @ 03:47 PM
link   
Why is everyone believing this made up translation? Do we have a reliable source on this? I mean, MEMRI has quite an agenda, and doesn't mind exaggerating to make a point. Just because Rupert Murdoch's "news" outlets jump on the bandwagon, doesn't make it true.

"But it's being reported on FOX and the NY Post!! And News Max, and World Net Daily, etc."

What would lying this late in the game change? Seems like a wasted effort.

posted on Nov, 1 2004 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Exactly what's chapping you guys' butts so bad? The member who reported on this didn't MEAN anything. He was trying to share information he had heard.

I don't think MEMRI means anything by it either. They were quoting an Islamist website concerning the interpretation of phrase. So once you weed out that the interpretation that OBL meant "every state that votes for Bush" could be on the hit list, and "every state that votes against Bush" won't be on the hit-list. How in SAM HILL can you twist this around to be some Republican agenda.

For Christ's sake...you guys would gripe if I hung with a new rope.

Lighten up!

I can't speak for Rant, but the statement "if this isn't an endorsement of Kerry than I don't know what else is", indicates the motive of post. Why else would the author call it an endorsement of Kerry if he or she didn't have an agenda? The supposed MEMRI translation said nothing about an "endorsement"--why would it be mentioned?

The author of this thread--as well as the NY Post and the other sources cted which are all far-to-the-right-conservative I might add, are attempting to use this as a means of influence. I think that is pretty clear that the author DID mean something and that is what I find so upsetting.

posted on Nov, 1 2004 @ 03:54 PM
link   
Well well, I broke this one last night and got hammered and it gets to ATSNN and the poster here gets hammered!

You liberals are SO predictable!

posted on Nov, 1 2004 @ 03:56 PM
link   
The following is from the translation on Al-Jazeera (of the full transcript)

Before I begin, I say to you that security is an indispensable pillar of human life and that free men do not forfeit their security, contrary to Bush's claim that we hate freedom. If so, then let him explain to us why we don't strike for example � Sweden? And we know that freedom-haters don't possess defiant spirits like those of the 19 � may Allah have mercy on them.

Your security is in your own hands. And every state that doesn't play with our security has automatically guaranteed its own security.

This is the only bit in there related to states. It seems quite clear that this has NOTHING to do with the elections, and instead is simply stating that nations who do not join the coalitions, etc. have nothing to fear... Much the same tactic as those doing the beheadings in Iraq....

posted on Nov, 1 2004 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mirthful Me

The realization that all is lost...

Puhlease. The "other member" and I remain in high hopes and good hands as always. (intended)

We just don't take kindly to sheer Internet crap followed by the header NEWS:, but hey if Fox reported on MEMRI's agenda for half a minute 6 hours ago...then hold the frailin' presses!!! Let's get right on it!

It's a damn scoop now! I suggest we make it an ALERT! After what so far, three ATS threads for three days blowing the "new" translation right wing theme all to hell?

If only the Defense Dept. had the Internet, then I'm sure this would be "official" by now. What a damn shame. :shk:

posted on Nov, 1 2004 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by lmgnyc

The author of this thread--as well as the NY Post and the other sources cted which are all far-to-the-right-conservative I might add, are attempting to use this as a means of influence. I think that is pretty clear that the author DID mean something and that is what I find so upsetting.

I'm sorry, and also very serious, that still doesn't make a lick of sense to me.

It really doesn't.

posted on Nov, 1 2004 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by edsinger
Well well, I broke this one last night and got hammered and it gets to ATSNN and the poster here gets hammered!

You liberals are SO predictable!

We're all quite aware of the wind you break around here Ed.

And much to that point, just like excessive smiley's don't make you funny, being on ATSNN doesn't make it news.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join