It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Judge: Feds Can’t Make Domino’s Founder Offer Birth Control

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 10:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000

Originally posted by buster2010
What can be more immoral than forcing your religious delusions on your employees.

The answer to that is easy. Forcing your idea of non-religion upon others who were minding their own business and generating no complaints or serious problems prior to that effort.

America is supposed to be ruled by law not religion.

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 10:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

This is a religion based upon Jesus, right? The guy who taught "Let him without sin cast the first stone"? The one who "worked ceaselessly" on the Sabbath? The one who treated everyone with respect, including lepers, prostitutes, murderers, and outcasts?

Not trying to stir up a religious debate... Just get really confused when people use Jesus as a weapon against others. IE if Jesus was running Domino's today, I don't think he'd refuse freedom of personal choice to his employees. So doing that in his name just seems really, really, really insincere and hollow to me.

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 10:08 AM
link   
reply to post by grey580

And now his employee's can sue Domino's for access to contraception.

And let me make another point. Oral contraceptives are not just for birth control. Many women who suffer from ovarian cysts need that medication to control the condition.
The cysts can be very painful.
Domino's founder needs to rethink his narrow minded position.
His pocket book might suffer for it.

If employees want to be the whining children to just sue for everything that pops into their heads....they need not complain one bit while in line for unemployment and wondering to themselves, how all the businesses in town got to be boarded up and how so many just pulled the plug and went out of business.

You cannot FORCE your will upon wealthy or business. Both have the means to just say "have your rules and have your will" as they either close up or simply move.

When did America become about forcing things upon others anyway? We've had over 200 years in this nation without telling people their religion means crap and they can just deal with violating it. Now we're supposed to embrace the violation of people's rights because it's to the CONVENIENCE of some employees?

What's scary is how many other places I can take that logic and force MY WILL under the precise same theory and justification. This isn't a path this nation should ever be going down. Period.

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 10:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Helious

Originally posted by jibeho
One small victory at a time.... Next come the attack dogs to have this judge's decision over turned.....

Short lived..

As it should be over turned. The judge chose to follow religion instead of the law.

But..... But...... Freedom of Religion is a right in America granted by the supreme law, The Constitution and therefor must be considered when applying laws that violate religious beliefs.

And they do have a right to freedom of religion. This case has nothing to do with that this case is forcing other people to follow the owners religion and that is wrong.

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 10:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000

What can be more immoral than forcing your religious delusions on your employees.

The answer to that is easy. Forcing your idea of non-religion upon others who were minding their own business and generating no complaints or serious problems prior to that effort.

America is supposed to be ruled by law not religion.
Exactly. The supreme law of the land is called the Constitution. Try reading it sometime.

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 10:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

True.. but it's not about using Jesus as a weapon. It's not about Jesus at all. It;s about Religion and the free practice of it...or more specifically, not being forced by law to violate it, simply because you happen to be a business owner as well. When did starting a business mean surrendering rights? In this case, by law, it literally is.

Now I'll be just as firm and just as vocal about defending rights of other Faiths with this. For instance, a business owner who happens to be a Jehovah Witness should not be forced to supply benefits which run directly against their beliefs. Let me tell you, they have some interesting ones if you've not heard them before where it comes to medical issues. Free religion and a business license doesn't negate that for anyone, IMO.

(Nor does taking a job at a business give an individual the right to dictate terms, over the Faith of the owners, by force of law or court....)

Just my thoughts.

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 10:13 AM
link   

[

And they do have a right to freedom of religion. This case has nothing to do with that this case is forcing other people to follow the owners religion and that is wrong.
Don't be obtuse. This case is about the government forcing the owner of a business, and citizens in general, to violate their religious beliefs. That is UnConstitutional.

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 10:13 AM
link   

You are free to Quit Domino's at any time and work for Papa John's etc etc etc. Pretty Simple.

Delusions? I don't think anyone is being forced into the cult of Domino's

Nothing wrong with a little moral rectitude in our society. We've become a society that seems devoid of it lately...

Praise God!! I'll even say a prayer for your soul tonight when I go to bed.

Nice to see how you think it's ok for religion to be forced on people. The world needs less religion it has done far more damage than good to mankind.
edit on 15-3-2013 by buster2010 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 10:15 AM
link   

Nice to see how you think it's ok for religion to be forced on people. The world needs less religion it has done far more damage than good to mankind.
Nope. Nobody is forcing any beliefs on employees. They can always quit and get another job somewhere else.

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 10:17 AM
link   
reply to post by buster2010

It is ruled by law. In this case, the applicable law is contained in the Federal Constitution. Amendment 1, Free Expression of Religion clause.

It doesn't give anyone the right to freedom FROM religion. Hardly. It gives everyone the right to be free from being forced to follow or adhere to any one religion. I.E. The Church of England. However, to say we aren't a religious nation ....outside denomination is to ignore what every elected official swears an Oath while placing their hand upon. It ignores the prayers which Congress is opened and closed with. It ignores the 10 Commandments and other signs of Judea-Christian Traditions on display in the very Supreme Court Building which sets those laws across our land.

We have no STATE religion ..or even area of Faith. Nor should we, ever. However, that NEVER gives anyone the right to DENY religious freedom, practice or values to any OTHER citizen. Business owner, or not, IMO.

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 10:18 AM
link   
reply to post by grey580

The Domino's founder is quite frankly infringing up on the rights of others.

Quite frankly, no he is not. Please explain how he is violating anyone's civil rights by not paying for birth control. I'll be interested to hear that.

Why can't people get that through their heads?

Why should they?

Just because your Religion doesn't allow you to do something. Doesn't give you the right to ram your brand of crazy down someone else's throat.

I'm pretty sure Dominoes doesn't hunt people down and force them into servitude. I'm actually pretty sure people APPLY to them of their own free will and ask for a job. That being the case, I think it is fair to say it is the employee who is ramming their atheism down Dominoes throat. Simple logic.

And now his employee's can sue Domino's for access to contraception.

Good luck with that.

And let me make another point. Oral contraceptives are not just for birth control. Many women who suffer from ovarian cysts need that medication to control the condition.

That's cool. Tell you what, I will be fine with that argument as soon as they start calling it something other than "BIRTH CONTROL". While we are on that subject, there is a great deal of harm that oral contraceptives can cause as well. One could argue that even by the most biased of medical opinions, their is more risk than reward in taking it for any reason outside of birth control specifically.

Domino's founder needs to rethink his narrow minded position.

Pot / Kettle

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 10:19 AM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

Wait a sec...

I thought that Papa John's was also fighting against ObamaCare?

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 10:20 AM
link   
reply to post by TDawgRex

They are... Different case. This one came up first in a different court.

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 10:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by DarthMuerte

[

Don't be obtuse. This case is about the government forcing the owner of a business, and citizens in general, to violate their religious beliefs. That is UnConstitutional.

This is a BS argument. In no way does his insurance paying for birth control for his employees violate his religion. He isn't spiritually responsible for his employees just himself. So his religion in no way says he can decide what people do or don't need. The real reason he is doing this is money he has said the the cost will cut into his profits. So he hides behind religion to save money how low can you go.

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 10:21 AM
link   

One small victory at a time.... Next come the attack dogs to have this judge's decision over turned.....

Short lived..

As it should be over turned. The judge chose to follow religion instead of the law.

What part of "Freedom OF Religion" confuses you??? Please read the Constitution and do so VERY carefully... it is Freedom OF Religion, NOT Freedom FROM Religion. Does that register with you?

No one is forcing anyone to take a job at Domino's. If one is dissatisfied with either the wages or benefits, they are free to leave and seek employment elsewhere. The federal government does NOT possess the right to force anyone to engage in any practice that violates their Freedom OF Religion - Capiche!?!?

If you disagree, please cite for me EXACTLY where in the Constitution I have it wrong.

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 10:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Helious

Quite frankly, no he is not. Please explain how he is violating anyone's civil rights by not paying for birth control. I'll be interested to hear that.

He is forcing his employees to go by what his religion says. That is how he is violating other peoples civil rights.

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by kozmo

Short lived..

What part of "Freedom OF Religion" confuses you??? Please read the Constitution and do so VERY carefully... it is Freedom OF Religion, NOT Freedom FROM Religion. Does that register with you?

No one is forcing anyone to take a job at Domino's. If one is dissatisfied with either the wages or benefits, they are free to leave and seek employment elsewhere. The federal government does NOT possess the right to force anyone to engage in any practice that violates their Freedom OF Religion - Capiche!?!?

If you disagree, please cite for me EXACTLY where in the Constitution I have it wrong.

Show me in the constitution where is says a company is a person? Companies do not have the right to freedom of religion.

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 10:28 AM
link   
reply to post by buster2010

As I noted once before, this isn't just 'having his insurance company' offer a benefit. To read up a bit, it appears Dominos is like many other major corporations and carry some or all of their coverage in the Self-Insured category.

That shouldn't matter either way as the employer is still directly paying an outside insurance company for all the benefits being offered (Religious accountability for action doesn't recognize little technicalities like..well, it was part of the package...and religion IS what this is all about, however one feels personally on it). However, as self insured, it goes beyond paying premiums. Then they are DIRECTLY paying for these benefits out of their direct company accounts. That IS a direct violation of their religious freedom to be forced in paying for something they fundamentally believe to be a moral and Salvation issue.

It's a big big deal...even if it's not to those who can't see how much religion means to others. The Constitution protects it, either way...as the Judge agreed.

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by kozmo

Short lived..

Show me in the constitution where is says a company is a person? Companies do not have the right to freedom of religion.

Our system doesn't work like that and you don't have to actively prove your standing for a Right as a citizen. The burden would be on you to show where Rights are modified or surrendered in the act of becoming a business owner or opening a business for public service.

No such law or regulation exists. No rights can or are reduced or removed by the act of joining commercial business and business size is also irrelevant, as no law covers this either way

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 10:32 AM
link   
Hahaha the irony, All the religious defenders in this thread would be up in arms if a Muslim guy opens a store and instill his indoctrination and morality... if that happens religious freedom goes down the drain.

Then you will have these folks screaming "This is Merica!, take your religious ideals elsewhere!'

Bunch of hypocrites tells ya!

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join