It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Judge: Feds Can’t Make Domino’s Founder Offer Birth Control

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 09:08 AM
link   
I'm sure many of us recall this big controversy with the issues from Hobby Lobby and others that found a fundamental or religious objection to the offering of contraceptive and/or other reproductive options. At the time, most folks were focused on Hobby Lobby for the major national debate. Quietly and steadily, about that same time, Dominos Pizza was also objecting and on similar grounds. They were running it through the courts though. It would appear the Pizza man delivered on this one.

A federal judge has blocked the Obama administration from requiring Domino’s Pizza founder Tom Monaghan to provide mandatory contraception coverage to his employees under the federal health care law.

The devout Roman Catholic says he considers contraception “gravely immoral” practice. His lawsuit also lists as a plaintiff his Domino’s Farms, an office park outside Ann Arbor.

On Thursday, U.S. District Judge Lawrence Zatkoff granted a preliminary injunction against enforcement of the law against Monaghan and Domino’s Farms.

Source

The President and his policy efforts just can't seem to catch a break in the Court system. Perhaps that means some additional attention needs paid to how these things are put together and written to impact the American people?

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 09:13 AM
link   
One small victory at a time.... Next come the attack dogs to have this judge's decision over turned.....

Short lived..

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 09:23 AM
link   
Gee, this could cause some problems for all the delivery guys who show up to deliver the pizza only have the scantily clad beautiful woman answering the door saying she has no money but musing that "there must be some way she can pay for the pizza" (cue music: boom chacha waa waa).

+1 more 
posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 09:33 AM
link   
I think it is more immoral to deny birth control for people who might not be ready to have children.

Also, birth control pills do more than just prevent pregnancy; they can regulate cycles, reduce ovarian cysts, reduce the symptoms of PMDD (severe PMS), and even clear up acne. There are so many other medical uses that I don't think it's right to deny the employees access.

Of course, they could always go elsewhere to get it.
edit on 15-3-2013 by daryllyn because: (no reason given)

+3 more 
posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 09:36 AM
link   
reply to post by daryllyn

You have a point if this man had the power to deny these things to his employees. He's just said he has the right as a citizen and business owner, to choose what he offers to pay for. Fortunately, the courts agreed that the Federal Government has no Constitutional Power or Authority to force citizens to pay for services they are fundamentally opposed to by core belief.

I'd say it came out as it needed to...and I wish it had come sooner. People can still get all the birth control they want. They just can't demand people that are bitterly opposed to it, pay for it.

+9 more 
posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 09:44 AM
link   
What can be more immoral than forcing your religious delusions on your employees.

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 09:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

I understand what you are saying, and, I mostly agree with you.

I just think that his view of birth control is outdated being that there are many other uses for the pill (I don't know if the same is true for types other than the pill) beyond pregnancy prevention.

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 09:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by jibeho
One small victory at a time.... Next come the attack dogs to have this judge's decision over turned.....

Short lived..

As it should be over turned. The judge chose to follow religion instead of the law.

+19 more 
posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 09:49 AM
link   

What can be more immoral than forcing your religious delusions on your employees.

The only ones being forced to do anything is the employers who are being forced to pay for it for their employees. Hey, I have an idea, how about you just take your paycheck and if you don't like it, go find a new job. No one is saying they can't use birth control, they are just saying go buy it yourself, as they should!!
edit on 15-3-2013 by Under Water because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 09:53 AM
link   
What irks me is that hiding behind the façade of "Religious freedom" is mostly likely a much baser motive... greed. Is this really about a personal and strong objection or is it just another corporation doing everything it possibly can to strengthen their bottom line at any and all costs?

Even if I personally disagree with the position, I can at least respect the religious angle. But as for compassion toward mega-corps that generate unfathomable amounts of profits? No sympathy at all. I truly think that one of the things that history will scorn about our current society is the total lack of concern for the workers - and thus to consumers - that companies currently demonstrate.

Wonder why the economy is in the toilet? Here's a thought... since we're all working for minimum wage and have no benefits... we have no money to purchase luxuries. I mean I know those guys on Wal Street are loving it right now... but honestly. Just how many TV's and cars can they buy?

+8 more 
posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 09:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by buster2010

The answer to that is easy. Forcing your idea of non-religion upon others who were minding their own business and generating no complaints or serious problems prior to that effort.

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 09:54 AM
link   

Short lived..

As it should be over turned. The judge chose to follow religion instead of the law.

But..... But...... Freedom of Religion is a right in America granted by the supreme law, The Constitution and therefor must be considered when applying laws that violate religious beliefs.

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 09:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

I have to disagree with you on this one Heff. In the Catholic Church, some things aren't just "oops....I kinda screwed up, huh?". Confession works, but isn't the magic whammy to make everything right again. There are some things referred to as Salvation Issues.

In that sense, a Salvation Issue is something that, if broken, might endanger the future of your immortal soul. Screwing with the Church tenants on Reproduction and the blocking or termination of it ...is a Salvation Issue for a great many people. To those who see it that way, it's literally a matter of Heaven or Hell.

I know, on ATS, we have many who outright hate or hold in contempt ANYTHING religious. It's rather amusing at times..disgusting at others. I don't mean you by any means..but some almost make the attack of religion and anything relating to it, their personal sport.

In regard to the Roman Catholic Church, it's dealing with over 1 billion Believers, world wide and they comprise as much as 90% of some nation's population's.

So in this? I don't see money or greed. These men can't spend money after they die ...they can suffer greatly for the bad decisions in life though. That, at least is how they believe to their core as Catholics. In the United States, that should be all the explanation they NEED to give and it's all the explanation they've ever needed to give in the history of our country. At least, until "Fundamental Transformation" arrived.
edit on 15-3-2013 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

+2 more 
posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 09:58 AM
link   

You are free to Quit Domino's at any time and work for Papa John's etc etc etc. Pretty Simple.

Delusions? I don't think anyone is being forced into the cult of Domino's

Nothing wrong with a little moral rectitude in our society. We've become a society that seems devoid of it lately...

Praise God!! I'll even say a prayer for your soul tonight when I go to bed.

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 09:59 AM
link   
So if I were a Christian Scientist I would not have to pay for any type of medical treatment or prescriptions?

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 10:03 AM
link   
The Domino's founder is quite frankly infringing up on the rights of others.

Why can't people get that through their heads?

Just because your Religion doesn't allow you to do something. Doesn't give you the right to ram your brand of crazy down someone else's throat.

You're rights begin where mine end. Vice Versa.

And now his employee's can sue Domino's for access to contraception.

And let me make another point. Oral contraceptives are not just for birth control. Many women who suffer from ovarian cysts need that medication to control the condition.
The cysts can be very painful.
Domino's founder needs to rethink his narrow minded position.
His pocket book might suffer for it.

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 10:03 AM
link   

Short lived..

Freedom of religion IS THE LAW! If you don't like his beliefs, go work somewhere else.

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 10:04 AM
link   
reply to post by ObservingTheWorld

If you ran a business, you couldn't be forced to pay for benefits to those you hire in your business which run directly against your own personal belief system...as the business owner.

It doesn't give anyone, anything for free?

@Thread

I'm having a bit of a challenge narrowing down the specifics on this, but Dominos is at least partially self-insured across their major coverage. It shouldn't matter for being forced to pay for a benefit against one's own beliefs ...but self insured makes the paying of that benefit a DIRECT and not a figurative thing. It makes the offense created by the law all the more personal, IMO.

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 10:06 AM
link   
Personally,I don't think healthcare paying for many of the things it does.Birth control is an option, go buy a condom for a few bucks, heck 50cents in the barroom bathroom.
I'm sure people remember paying a fee for their doctor visit. Now it is rolled into insurance, increasing the costs.

Same for subsidizing childcare/daycare. I've had to pay my way for my child, take care of your own children.

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 10:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by grey580
The Domino's founder is quite frankly infringing up on the rights of others.

Why can't people get that through their heads?

Just because your Religion doesn't allow you to do something. Doesn't give you the right to ram your brand of crazy down someone else's throat.

You're rights begin where mine end. Vice Versa.

And now his employee's can sue Domino's for access to contraception.

And let me make another point. Oral contraceptives are not just for birth control. Many women who suffer from ovarian cysts need that medication to control the condition.
The cysts can be very painful.
Domino's founder needs to rethink his narrow minded position.
His pocket book might suffer for it.
I will say this again, maybe you will understand it this time.

If you don't like his beliefs, go work somewhere else.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join