It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why I hate all religion.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 09:50 AM
link   
reply to post by caveman61

The whole purpose of religion is belief in something greater than yourself. That in itself creates humility.

Why can't that 'something' just be the world? Why does it have to be a god?

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 10:15 AM
link   
I think I could have written your post!! I used to despise religion, specifically Christianity! I have since grown and decided that it is nothing I could ever buy into and I disagree with it on every level. It is absolute nonsense written by men to rule others through fear. I no longer despise it, I just want nothing to do with it and believe it is a load of rubbish! I believe there may be some sort of higher power and I'm ok with spirituality, but religion is simply something I can not accept.

I can accept and respect that others believe in it, but that doesn't mean that I don't think they are off their rocker for doing so. If my friend told me she believed in the flying spaghetti monster I'd would accept and respect it, but I would still think she was stupid for believing in something like that.

I figure so long as religious folks keep their nonsense to themselves then I have no problem with whatever they believe. I however can't stand when people won't keep their personal beliefs personal unto themselves. I'm not going to go preaching or judging anyone about what I believe, I expect the same respect be given to me.

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by AfterInfinity
reply to post by caveman61

The whole purpose of religion is belief in something greater than yourself. That in itself creates humility.

Why can't that 'something' just be the world? Why does it have to be a god?
Presumably because the world is fallible? But I would disagree that the purpose of religion is to believe in something greater than yourself. The purpose of religion is to manage those who believe in a higher power. The purpose of believing in a god or higher power is to believe in something greater than ones self, not religion. Religion does not create humility, it creates fear and judgement along with a sense of belonging with those who believe in a god that is greater than themselves.

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 10:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Opraks

I feel sorry for you. I hate religion, but respect your choice to participate in it. As slong as you keep it out of my face and don't try to convert me. Whats bad about that?

I think I even saw Hitler being brought up? He hated and took action on those whom he hated. I hate and respect your right to do what you want as long as it isn't hurting anyone. I don't hate any person. I hate a concept that has destroyed more human lives than any other thing throughout history.

So.... Yea feel sorry for me.

MOTF!
edit on 13-3-2013 by MessOnTheFED! because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by MaMaa

I figure so long as religious folks keep their nonsense to themselves then I have no problem with whatever they believe. I however can't stand when people won't keep their personal beliefs personal unto themselves. I'm not going to go preaching or judging anyone about what I believe, I expect the same respect be given to me.

MOTF!

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 10:27 AM
link   
reply to post by MaMaa

Presumably because the world is fallible?

The word is infallible, yet there are over 400 different denominations, each of whom sees it differently. How does one truth become so many variations? There is no point to a "one truth, one way" when you can choose what to believe, how to interpret. Not to mention "the word" has plenty of evidence suggesting it's actually an amalgamation of dozens of past cultures. Ash Wednesday, Lent, the virgin birth, the resurrection, god, the holy trinity, the Virgin Mary, all of it was recognized by religious systems that were old when Jesus was young.

Infallible? Hardly. That's why faith is so crucial.

I'd like to add something else to your premise, MOTF. If we consistently give our lives to the serving of a tyrannical deity, how can we ever expect to seize our true potential and become the guardians we're meant to be? If we consistently seek to emulate a delusional egomaniac, how do we ever find true peace? That's one of the biggest reasons I disapprove of religion.
edit on 13-3-2013 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Do I hate religions? Some days I think I do. But mostly, I find them fascinating. I've learned a lot by studying many religious beliefs over the years, about myth, psyche, human nature, lies, truths, guliibility, faith, the power of belief, and the longing for brotherhood, love, peace and all that jazz.

But, in the name of a "god" -- many atrocities have been committed. In the name of "righteousness" -- murder, genocide, rape, and torture have been committed. In the name of "god"--individuals, children, have been ostracized, berated, made to be outcasts or bullied, or driven to depression, rage or suicide.

I believe in Love. I believe that Peace, Joy, Bliss, Compassion, Grace, Beauty and Love and Light are what is real. If we all walked in that space, it would be the "heaven" on Earth that many seek.

If someone chooses to (or was raised in a religion) believe a certain way, a certain "god" - that's fine with me -- until that someone seeks to walk on another's right to believe and live their own truth. Or that someone seeks to destroy or harm me or my way of life because I don't believe as they do, or I want to protect the rights of others.

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 11:01 AM
link   
I have been in the religious christian world on and off my whole life, I started going to church full time when I was about 15, so I've been in this game for 10 years. Through out that time i have seen many hypocritical acts, almost every single one of my pastors has cheated on his spouse, my youth pastor was kicked out of church for trying to pursue a relationship with a 15 year old girl. Countless church splits due to trivial rumors, lies, and disagreements. People saying homosexuals are evil and going to go to hell, but its OK for someone to weigh 400 lbs. The list keeps going.None of what I see going on here is Christ like, all I see is a golf club or boat club but based around a religion.

I think i understand what the OP is saying here, and I agree (though I do claim to be a Christ follower). Basically that when you talk to me, you could care less about my religion because you already know the facts about Christianity. you want to get to know me as a person, what I practice, how I act, how I truly live. Not hollow words that i have memorized that come drooling out of my mouth.

Christianity is not about doctrine, Politics, or manipulation its about loving and caring for your fellow man.

when I first became a christian I was very right minded, and even had a lot of libertarian views.But as I have progressed through my 20's i am finding i agree more and more with some liberal views. I find it funny when Christians defend capitalism, yet if you read the bible Jesus was basically a communist. He talked about giving your money to the pour, don't hoard possessions, its almost impossible for a rich man to make it to heaven.

I dare any christian to defend the reason to own a 300,000 dollar home, to own a car that cost you more then the average american makes in one year, to wear a 50 dollar t-shirt, to have more then one TV, or to pay 100 dollars a month for cable.

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by AfterInfinity
reply to post by MaMaa

Presumably because the world is fallible?

The word is infallible, yet there are over 400 different denominations, each of whom sees it differently. How does one truth become so many variations? There is no point to a "one truth, one way" when you can choose what to believe, how to interpret. Not to mention "the word" has plenty of evidence suggesting it's actually an amalgamation of dozens of past cultures. Ash Wednesday, Lent, the virgin birth, the resurrection, god, the holy trinity, the Virgin Mary, all of it was recognized by religious systems that were old when Jesus was young.

Infallible? Hardly. That's why faith is so crucial.

I'd like to add something else to your premise, MOTF. If we consistently give our lives to the serving of a tyrannical deity, how can we ever expect to seize our true potential and become the guardians we're meant to be? If we consistently seek to emulate a delusional egomaniac, how do we ever find true peace? That's one of the biggest reasons I disapprove of religion.
edit on 13-3-2013 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

I agree, the 'word' as you put it is hardly infallible, but faith needs to be based in some sort of something that is convincing enough for a person to have the faith. I never found anything persuasive enough to create faith. I have found peace by not following or trying to be like some unattainable entity, so I agree with your premise!

edit on 13-3-2013 by MaMaa because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 01:07 PM
link   
reply to post by MessOnTheFED!

I understand where you're coming from...
I grew up going to a church where everyone was 'nice' but no one was 'real.' It was all a show and I could feel it. No one was really happy. They obviously weren't living the teachings the way the teachings were intended.

So I turned away from religion (and God in general) for a pretty long time.

A few years ago I realized....maybe the image of God that I was being taught...isn't the 'only' way (or even 'the' way) to understand God.

So I started searching again. Praying. Meditating. Reading scriptures and texts from all religions and beliefs. Reading philosophy. Talking to people. Being open to all.
Nowadays, I don't conform to any 'religion' or any dogma. I love and appreciate all teachers, including Buddha, Jesus, Lao Tzu, and many many more. This is (in simple terms) what I've come up with:

God is love. Compassion. Empathy. Truth. Knowledge. Faith.
No matter what you have done...God loves you. God is not some white bearded Guy up in the clouds smiting humans for 'sinning.' He isn't damning you to hell for fornicating or swearing. He ('he' is anthropomorphic term) is there, cheering you on, offering guidance and comfort if you're willing to listen and to ask. He gives freely. I mean look how much we have in this life! (If you don't know how much you have to be grateful for, I honestly recommend making a list.)

Jesus came here to teach us to love one another. "A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another." John 13:34

^ This, I believe, is the heart of Jesus' teachings. He said,

"Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me."

"For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, 43 I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me.’"

I'm sure if you went to church for many years, you probably are already familiar with this teaching. But please, give it a second thought.

You're 99% right: the majority of Christians do not act Christ-Like. Far from it, actually. But does that mean that we shouldn't? Does that mean that we should respond with even more hatred and negativity? No!

We must 'fight' the hatred with love, compassion and understanding. Otherwise you are in danger of turning into that which you 'hate': Someone who judges, condemns and scoffs at an entire classification of people for not being non-judgmental, open and compassionate....which is pretty ironic, if you ask me.

Anyway, I'm done. I just wanted you to know that there is still Love in the world.
From the bottom of my heart, I hope you have a great day.
edit on 13-3-2013 by eleven44 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 01:19 PM
link   
reply to post by MaMaa

I have found peace by not following or trying to be like some unattainable entity, so I agree with your premise!

I've always found that the greatest peace can be achieved, not by fighting yourself, but by understanding and accepting who you are. Far too often, some of our impressionable young men and women find that they are not quite able to ignore their nature, and as a result, they go through hell trying to decide which is more important: being themselves, or being who their peers and superiors want them to be.

I was one of them.

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 03:00 PM
link   

While you are hating all religions, including Christianity I assume, I was wondering which of the following you would like us to ignore where you are concerned...how about #6

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 03:08 PM
link   
reply to post by MajorKarma

From the OP:

I believe that there are some very good morals contained in the Bible, but not much else

Somewhere in your mind you made the connection that I am against being a decent person because I hate people pushing their beliefs in my face on the daily?

Sorry, but you couldn't be further from the truth.

MOTF!

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 03:34 PM
link   

How about the original commandments?

1. Make no contracts with the people in the land where you are going.
2. Destroy the altars and icons of the people in the land where you are going.
3. Make no molten gods.
4. Keep the feast of unleavened bread.
5. All firstborn sons are mine, as are the firstborn among your sheep and cattle. They must be sacrificed to me or redeemed by sacrificing another animal in its place.
6. On the 7th day thou shalt rest. And during earing time and harvest you shall rest.
7. Three times a year your boys shall all appear before the Lord.
8. Thou shalt not offer the blood of my sacrifice with leaven.
9. The sacrifice of the Passover shall not be left over till morning.
10. Thou shalt not boil a kid in its mother's milk.

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by MessOnTheFED!

From the OP:

I believe that there are some very good morals contained in the Bible, but not much else

Somewhere in your mind you made the connection that I am against being a decent person because I hate people pushing their beliefs in my face on the daily?

Sorry, but you couldn't be further from the truth.

MOTF!

I really think you missed the point so, allow me to be a little more to the point. Once when I was a young man, before I went into the service and became a bit more civilized and restrained, I got into a heated argument with a guy who back into and over the new BSA Thunderbolt. I was truly on the verge of physical violence when it occurred to me and I told this guy "People like you are why we need Police and Prisons"..he came back with something like "What the hell does that mean" and I responded "because without police and prisons, people like me would murder people like you in a heart beat".

Now, I purpose to you that were it not for religions, most all religions, the stronger, the smarter, the faster would have had nothing to prevent them from crushing the weaker, the dumber, the slower. Maybe you will get this and maybe you won't but I am telling you that were it not for the moralities, the laws, the fear of Judgement and the belief in Heaven and Hell, many would never have the chance to speak so boldly.

Pardon me, I am not writing in an attempt to be profound or spending a lot of time trying to make sure you "Get It" but my response to your comments are something of a follow-up to a recent realization that most of those who are destroying my country and in my opinion are the enemies of humanity must certainly not believe in a God, in a Judgement, a Heaven or Hell. Or maybe they do and that is why people like Obama and Bush age so severely and quickly...they must me sweating bullets hoping their is no God.
edit on 13-3-2013 by MajorKarma because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 04:10 PM
link   

So, in other words... We are too stupid to behave in a civilized mannor and it is necessary for us to ruled by fear?

Can't really say I believe that. Some people are stupid, some aren't. Maybe the ones who can tell the difference between right and wrong rebell against religion because they are smart enough to not be ruled by fear, while having the morals to be civil with thier neighbors.

As I said before.... The bible contains some good morals, but nothing much else. The ends never justify the means.

MOTF!

As for your story.... You were scared of police and prison. You should have known that it wasnt civilized to hit someone and the other guy should have known that he had to pay for damages caused by himself. I guess some people need to dedicate their lives to figuring that out. Not I.
edit on 13-3-2013 by MessOnTheFED! because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 04:13 PM
link   

I don't hate on Religion as long as it is peaceful. That said, I do not belong to any Religion anymore myself.

Friends are ALWAYS amazed that I used to be a Alter Boy.
During trips to Europe while in the Army, we used to do the sightseeing thing and almost always ended up in a Cathederal or two.

One friend whirled on me and took my pic upon entering. When I asked why he did that, he told me.

"I thought you would burst into flames."

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 04:15 PM
link   

One more thing.

There are a lot of decent people who don't believe in any god or higher power. There are a lot of people who do terrible things that are sitting in church on every Sunday morning.

MOTF!

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 04:59 PM
link   

seems like you have a problem with people and not religion.

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by MessOnTheFED!

One more thing.

There are a lot of decent people who don't believe in any god or higher power. There are a lot of people who do terrible things that are sitting in church on every Sunday morning.

MOTF!

It is apparent you are in some form of denial and I am not in the mood to play "Clerk's Rhetoric". I doubt you have any Military Service certainly not any combat experience but let me assure you "There are No Atheists in Foxholes" and under the wrong circumstance, praying would inevitably be on your list of attempts to save your arse.

When the student is ready, the teacher will appear.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join