It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Has Gun Ownership in American Homes Really Decreased This Dramatically?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 06:06 AM
link   
Ownership has not declined.

I suspected that the statistical data was tampered with or flawed since it goes against every instance of common sense and logic. Not to mention record gun sales in "ban panic".

“Share of homes with guns shows four-decade decline” was the headline in the New York Times a couple of days ago. Similar reports in various news outlets picked up on the apparent slide in US gun ownership, on the eve of the National Rifle Association’s annual convention. “Even as the conversation on guns remains contentious,” the Times wrote, “a broad shift away from gun ownership is under way in a growing number of American homes.”

But those statements, supposedly based on the latest data from the (mostly biannual) General Social Survey from the National Opinion Research Center, are misleading. The above chart shows what percentage of a sample of Americans, asked if there was a gun in their household, said “yes.” The proportion of households with guns has fallen from a high of over 50% in the 1970s, but since 1998, it has held steady, fluctuating between 37% and 32%. The figure for 2012 was 34%.

The number of respondents to the question ranges from less than 1,000 to around 2,000, meaning that the margin of error is roughly 2% to 3% in either direction. In other words, the data for the past 15 years show no statistically significant variation. “It’s been essentially flat” over that period, Tom Smith, director of the GSS, told Quartz. A close statistical analysis of the data, he says, might not show a perfectly constant level of ownership, “but substantively you can conclude there’s been minimal further decline.”

Whether this means US gun ownership has reached a natural lower limit or is just temporarily stable is beyond the ken of statisticians. But it does suggest that it’s premature to conclude that American gun owners are a shrinking breed.

qz.com...

edit on 12-3-2013 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 06:25 AM
link   
reply to post by TDawgRex

I agree that the poll is flawed. I can't imagine telling a total stranger whether or not I have a firearm in my house. Could be a criminal casing the joint! Very few, I would hope, will answer honestly.

Too many guns being sold, too much ammo being stockpiled by the people.

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 06:39 AM
link   
reply to post by chiefsmom

i have been asked that question by census as well as the little forms
at the dr's office, to the census lady i replied "That is a personal question
i refuse to answer" and she moved on.
The dr forms, i leave blank and skip right over the question.

Sorry but its none of their business.

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 08:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by sirhumperdink

no my point is that your experiences are going to be dominated by people owning and purchasing firearms if those are the type of people you are associating with and those experiences are not going to provide you with an accurate representation of what the population as whole is doing (only what that particular demographic is doing)

Oh, so gun owners aren't an accurate representation of people. Only those non-gun owners are.

and no sales numbers are not an accurate representation of the rate of ownership and its silly that you dont seem to understand that

That is because you have the raw data, showing that to be untrue. Okay then, lets see it.

this is something that you would expect to see on a proficiency test in high school .......rates of ownership going up is going to mean an increase in sales but an increase in sales does not mean gun ownership is going up......understand?

Oh gee thanks for the High School lesson.

Now, on to a real life lesson. I stand by what I stated, and many here are stating the same thing.

There is no Raw data, except a phone poll, that suggests ownership is in decline.
There is however, real life showing the opposite.

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 08:43 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 10:41 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 11:08 AM
link   

I, personally, would not answer those type of questions in a survey. To me, it is my business what I have and no one elses. So I doubt that the survey is accurate. Just two weeks ago I stopped at the sporting goods store and their shelves were empty-no hand guns, rifles, or shotguns. If gun ownership is down, where did they all go? Excellent post TDawgRex!

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 11:11 AM
link   
I wasn't kidding.

The discussion will now continue without further disruption, with my apologies to all members adversely affected.

The topic is still open for all members willing to focus on it and respect the rights of all ATSers to hold different opinions, and they are always welcome.

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 11:28 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by TDawgRex

Would you really admit to the census bureau or a polling organization that you had weapons in your house or car?

They wouldn't need to ask via census or a polling bureau, to legally own a gun you have to register that weapon.. that registration is kept on file and it's actually public information. There was a website that posted tons of that information online and was taken down because it also gave people's addresses.

Either way.. the story is no doubt referring to registrations over the last four decades.. it doesn't account for un-licensed weapons or people who bought a bunch and just kept them I'm sure.. so it doesn't actually speak to gun ownership, but it does speak to new, legal gun ownership.. (Ie. the amount of guns registered legally has declined )
edit on 3/12/2013 by miniatus because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 01:23 PM
link   
reply to post by miniatus

Not sure about your state, but in my state you do not have to register anything. Registration is not a federal thing it is state by state.

The only thing you do is fill out a background check to buy (from a store) and take it home that day, handgun or rifle either one. After that if you want to CCW you have to pass a course and then go to the DMV to get it on your ID.

Edit to add: Also as long as you are legal to own a firearm, you can carry a loaded handgun in your glovebox without a CCW.

Raist
edit on 3/12/13 by Raist because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 02:41 PM
link   
reply to post by miniatus

By law, and I have lived in many States, I have never in my life registered any weapon I have purchased. I refuse to live in a city/county that requires it as well.

During my stint in the military, if registration was required at my new duty station, I just stored my weapons with family.

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 04:57 PM
link   

Yes, it has. The ones who are buying and stockpiling weapons seem to be a few compared t the general population and they are repeat purchasers.

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 05:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by skepticconwatcher

Yes, it has. The ones who are buying and stockpiling weapons seem to be a few compared t the general population and they are repeat purchasers.

How do you know this? Gut feeling?

I think that a lot of gun owners who have purchased one recently are new, going by what a friend who actually owns a gun store says.

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 05:15 PM
link   
reply to post by skepticconwatcher

I am not as sure about that as you seem to be. My wife recently bought her first firearm. She and I will be doing the CCW class later this month. According to the woman whose brother does the class 90% of the recent classes have been new gun owners. One woman (from the most recent class) actually knew nothing about handguns until the course.

My sister has never owned or bought a firearm and is now in the market for one. There are quite a few first time buyers buying firearms many of which are women.

Raist

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 05:26 PM
link   
reply to post by skepticconwatcher

Most people who purchase weapons do so as a investment. Like playing the stock market, but with actual tangible results.

For example a 2011 BushMaster that cost $800-900 now sells for $1200. That's a good turn over in my book.

But I also hang with people of all stripes, and they are all buying firearms. Mostly pistols. But the commomn thread is that they are all scared for one reason or the other.

I have even heard one friend (who was/kinda still is a anti gunner) say that if everyone has a weapon, why shouldnt she? Backwards logic?

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 05:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Raist

I took a CCW course here in Ohio...just for grins and giggles.
Keeping current with state laws keeps ya out of jail...hopefully. (I do have thirty years in or working with combat arms)

The guy who gave the class offered me a position, but I turned it down due to other commitments.

Long story short, I could not believe how many of my class mates thought that owning a wepon would solve all their problems.

Thank God they took the class and hopefully it set the heads straight.

The thing is, this supposed poll is straight up propaganda. You can quote stats and polls all day long, but the sale reciepts paint the true picture.
edit on 12-3-2013 by TDawgRex because: added a line

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 06:49 PM
link   

I am not claiming to have extensive knowledge of firearms, I was raised around them though and know enough to stay safe.

I am not really sure I will CC, but think the class will be nice. As is I can open carry and CC a loaded handgun n my car and be legal. The class will be very good for someone like my wife though and a good overview for myself.

Raist

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join