Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Has Gun Ownership in American Homes Really Decreased This Dramatically?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 10:01 AM
link   

Has Gun Ownership in American Homes Really Decreased This Dramatically?

www.theblaze.com

As the debate over gun rights continues in the wake of the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting, there’s some interesting — and dueling — research emerging about Americans and firearms. According to a report in the New York Times, gun ownership in U.S. homes has allegedly declined dramatically over the past four decades.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.nytimes.com

edit on 3/11/2013 by Majic because: Fixed sporked link (the news code sometimes has trouble with long URLs)

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 10:01 AM
link   
Would you really admit to the census bureau or a polling organization that you had weapons in your house or car?

This just smacks to me of even more propaganda.

The numbers keep rolling in of record weapons sales and the manufacturers can’t keep up. Are the same people (not the Government that is) snatching up everything off the shelves?

That would be quite pricey. But I do not have any doubt in my mind that there are those out there who are stocking up on weapons, similar to people buying real estate. They’re looking for a quick turn over and to make a tidy profit.

www.theblaze.com...
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on Mon Mar 11 2013 by DontTreadOnMe because: attempt to fix link

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 10:09 AM
link   
I'm not buying it at all.
I don't believe people are answering the question honestly.
And good for them for not.

I wouldn't.

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 10:13 AM
link   
Definitely Hogwash propaganda...

a buddy of mine
has been trying to buy a Glock
and has been told by the dealer
Glock is not shipping anything @ the moment
because they have nothing to ship...

they are now behind the 8 ball on production
due to demand rising so high

but why you would want a Glock

is another thread

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 10:19 AM
link   
I think the thread I wrote on Gun Sales said it best. Those are the numbers that cannot be fudged or lie. They simply report raw numbers of warm bodies standing at a counter, waiting for a gun. They indicate dramatic increase. Indeed... VERY dramatic for the %'s taken across a population as large as ours.

Official 2012 FBI Gun Sale Total Numbers Are In! Up 39% Nationally!

I think the survey here says the willingness of people to honestly answer this question on surveys has decreased dramatically over an extended period of time.

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 10:20 AM
link   
reply to post by TDawgRex

so where the hell are the millions of guns recently purchased?

This is just BS. I dont even know what the point of the "news" is anymore. It is all a lie. I really would rather trust a psychic at this point over the "news".....I am dead serious.

It is almost ALL a lie....too much to take it as more than fiction. That is what I will teach my kids.

edit on 11-3-2013 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 10:20 AM
link   
The poll for the evidence for this article is flawed. The wording of a poll and the areas that it intentionally targets can distort the facts. Would you tell someone on a poll if you had a gun in the house? Especially when they are trying to restrict them?

This poll was created to show that the majority of people don't have guns. This way if you get rid of your guns you become in sinc with society and then you are normal. The motive here is so evident that I can't believe that people believe it. I see that Americans are not any smarter than others in the world. I suppose I did not expect them to be.

It is like saying that since most people in the country use Facebook and you don't, you are not normal. This concept of Facebook was created by the owners to shove their product down peoples throats. This brought up their users and increased their income. Motive for starting propaganda is clear in that case.

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 10:24 AM
link   
I think the poll is flawed.

I think it shows a decrease of not people owning guns, but a decrease in trusting our government and actually acknowledging that they own guns.

The proof is in the amount of gun sales recently.

That and think about it: you buy one or more guns in the 1980's. As long as you take care of those guns, you may not have any need to buy again, unless you wanted to, etc, etc.

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 10:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Thanks Wrabbit. I wanted to include that bit of info but couldn't find it. To much other crap on Google. I guess my keywords were off.

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 10:33 AM
link   
could be like some people have pretty much stated that people may not own up to owning a gun due to the feeling that it could be a staged poll to KNOW who they need to take guns from. not to mention someone who may own an illegal gun(s) would be nuts to admit they had them.

another thing which is why MOST polls can be considered unreliable anyway is the fact that WHERE a poll is done, the time of day WHEN the poll is done, WHO gets polled can create MAJOR differences. for example if THIS poll was conducted in a city especially a city like New York where many people don't own guns would produce one result, where if it was people out in rural areas it would likely produce an opposing result. a poll by it's nature only asks some people and who they ask/who answers and even if the people are being honest can have a dramatic effect on the results. this can be used to slant a poll to say whatever you want it to while at the same time being "honest" about the results. and who would know how to do this better than companies who make their living off of polls.

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 10:39 AM
link   
did you see who they said was doing the study in the first link? NORC, back in the JR. and SR. years of high school, i became part of one of their studies. it continued it my time in the Marine Corps.

when it first started, they paid you ten dollars and it took about, five to ten minutes. and each time it came it took longer and they paid a little more. they told us that it would help the government. at first the question seemed to be harmless. just basic life stuff. but as time went on. it got more and more intrusive, and they started asking more and more personal questions. while i was in the corps i decided i wasn't going to participate any more and told them so. one day my CO called me into his office and ordered me to do the survey, even though it was a voluntary survey. next time i did the same and got called in again and was ordered to do it every time, as long as i was in the service. needless to say that was one of the reasons i left the corps.

during my time in the corps, is when i started to get interested in conspiracies and such and i started putting two and two together and realized that the government wasn't your friend. so during the survey interviews, i started answering the everyday life stuff that was verifiable truthfully, but the more personal, and opinion questions i was less than truthful.

after i got out, the next time they called, i told them that i would not participate anymore and help the government take away my freedoms.

that was almost 30years ago, and they still hound me every time it's time to do the survey.

two points i'm making here.

1. the government use these studies to see what the nation thinks, and to see what they can do and get away with.
2. not always is the data they use correct, it wasn't hard to tell what answers the wanted to hear, and i would give that answer, even if it wasn't true. so don't take the stats to be correct. they can't actually verify the data.

edit on 11-3-2013 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 10:49 AM
link   
Ive been on a month and a half waiting list for a new hand gun. This is pure propaganda. go to your local gun store and tell me there is not a firearm shortage. If you tell me there isnt your an Obama (lier)

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 10:53 AM
link   

People needs to remember that is a full scale anti gun propaganda played for the government on the pro gun and second amendment supporters, propaganda is such a powerful took on the gullible and easily mind manipulated citizens.

So remember people that the article is nothing but propaganda, I guess if the government starts to throw out numbers in, to promote anti gun laws people will accept this laws easily.

Because they think we Americans are dumb and stupid.

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 11:03 AM
link   
i forgot to add this link of the study. it's from wikipedia. i couldn't find on their website.
i know it's still going on, they just came last month looking for me.
the woman actually thought i was gonna talk to her. i finally had to get rude and told her to leave.
National Longitudinal Survey of Youth 1979

oh yea i forgot to say that at first they said it was about jobs, but as time went on they started asking questions, that had nothing to do with jobs.

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 11:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043

Because they think we Americans are dumb and stupid.

I'd laugh with you but they've proven themselves right a bit too often to laugh too hard I think. Hopefully the average American doesn't fall for this. After all, those ubiquitous polls always showing some rather extreme or insane opinion over something logical are polling real people, right? Idiots walk among us....and they vote too!

(hopes for greater awakening among the sleeping masses) The fact they figure they can even run with stuff this silly for a survey result tells me they are betting the masses are still soundly asleep. Pictures of sugar plumbs with hope and change, dancing in their heads. (Okay, now perhaps that is kinda funny
)
edit on 11-3-2013 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 11:06 AM
link   
reply to post by hounddoghowlie

OOPSEY!

Now you are on the RED LIST
It doesnt pay to be rude.......

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 11:10 AM
link   

I share the sentiment of most of the respondents, they already covered most of the bases already, so I will just add one tidbit.

The .gov was my friend, a true and trusted ally in my naive rural upbringing, all the way until my unit was sent to new orleans after katrina, they are not our friends, they will lie cheat and steal l, and they will do so to anyone they think it is in their best interest to do so to.

Only a fool in modern times would refister their firearms with a .gov registry.

First the .gov used to ask these questions, until the people woke up and stoppped telling them, then they had pollsters tlcollecting the data, until we werent fooled by tuem either, now your doctor will attempt to collect this data for them, dont be folled by this either.

Just lie, and if necessary lie further, as refusal to answer is always assumed to be a positive affirmation to them.

They are scared of us, which is why they feel they need to try and collect this data, when they cant get it, they try to fool you out of it, when that fails, they try propoganda, when that fails, they just try to take our guns, this will also fail, so they will then try to demonize us, so our friends families and neighbors will turn on us. This will also fail miserably.

I mean all they have to do is stop being self sercing tools and they wont have to fear, but I guess that is just too much for them. So I would say their fear is justified, as their time cometh, with each passing day. It is just a matter of time, and none of their schemes will save them from the righteous infliction of retribution that they will one day recieve.

Oh sweet irony, nemesis be thy name.

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 11:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by camaro68ss
Ive been on a month and a half waiting list for a new hand gun. This is pure propaganda. go to your local gun store and tell me there is not a firearm shortage. If you tell me there isnt your an Obama (lier)

I know of one sporting goods store where there isn't a shortage. But they were pro-active and saw what was coming down the road. They also don't allow lay-a-aways either.

In a month or two, who knows? Their shelves may be bare too.

They have also jacked up the prices, but not as bad as gunbroker or cheaperthandirt.

The rest of the big box stores here took them off the shelves voluntarily...maybe that's where this store got all their guns.

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 11:15 AM
link   
Oh yea, record gun sales, majior record gun sales over the last few years...... and yet a "dramatic decrease" in ownerhip. Sounds like a bunch of bull crap to me.

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 11:18 AM
link   
It wouldnt surprise me if it was correct, I meet plenty of Americans who work in Asia and I always ask about their thoughts on guns, bar 2 Halliburton employess from Texas all the rest say they have never owned a gun and never will.

The vast majority of Americans on this site are gun owners and I think many of you assume this is a good representation of American society, I dont think it is.
We are on a conspiracy site where the overwhelming majority of Yanks distrust and actively dislike the Gov, and rightly so.

If the majority of your country men felt this way then you would most likely not have the issues with the gov that you currently do.

Is it really so far fetched to believe that the majority of these recent gun sales are by people buying a 2nd, 3rd or in the case of a few on this site 18th,19th and 20th gun?

I doubt anyone who is anti gun in the US would be prompted to buy one by a gun shortage, just my 2 cents

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join