It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Has Gun Ownership in American Homes Really Decreased This Dramatically?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 05:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by inverslyproportional

Originally posted by Majic
Seriously folks. No more bickering. Post bans next.

Look what you guys did to that poor little pony, I dont think he is playing, he looks mad! How dare you!!

@iknowstuff- how is it a fact thag the average gun owner has 3-5 guns? Especially seeing how there is now actual reliable stats to make such a statement, this is of course not to mention that you seem to know little about us Americans, or what we would or would not have.

So where did these numbers come from? As I know a lot of gun owners, and I know very few that have 3-5, most have 2 max, basically a good hunting rifle and a reliable pistol.

How were we offended by your asserting that which you dont know? Seems more likely some were put off by your ignorance on aj issue your attempting to claim a clear understanding of.

Just saying ....if the shoe fits and all that jazz.
edit on 11-3-2013 by inverslyproportional because: (no reason given)

The numbers of 3-5 guns per average owner was used against me in another gun thread, I always remembered that figure because to me it seemed absurd, even worse was that a large percentage owned more than 8!!!

I didnt mean anyone was offended by my posts, I meant why were people upset or offended by the survey?
What proof do you have it was wrong?

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 06:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by IkNOwSTuff
[why is it so hard to believe that gun ownership rates have dropped given the economy, gun prices, people moving away from rural areas and also what most of you claim to be a propaganda campaign to demonise guns?
If what most of you all say is true that last one alone should account for a significant drop in ownership rates

Literally everyone I know has a weapon, even those who once were anti-gun. Most have pistols and shotguns, though a few do have semi-autos and bolt/lever action hunting rifles.

In my conversations, one thing has always come to the forefront. People are getting scared. Whether it be the boogyman or Government. The fear is there. A lot of my anti-gun friends can't even tell me why they bought one, they just felt that they needed one. I always offer to take them to a range so that they can become used to handling such a potentially deadly tool. After all, if you don't know how to handle a chainsaw, it can kill you just as dead as a gun.

You do have a point about the economy, which I pointed out in my OP.

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 06:08 PM
link   
reply to post by IkNOwSTuff

Nobody has claimed that the majority of americans are guns owners, it just seems your trying to claim that all that arent are against guns, which is of course..................not very intelligent.

A few very vocal anti gun people are against them, not even close to a majority of americans though.

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 06:18 PM
link   
I would say that over the past four decades psychiatry has furthered it's grip on the American population beyond belief. Many already are aware that these days chemicals put into the food/water effect the mental health of a person as well as the physical - but beyond that, the corrupt psychiatric INDUSTRY has sought to, and acheived, in it's goal to get as many Americans as possible on their pills.

All you have to do is research the current prescription numbers per population and it's simply amazing. Anyone with a certain level of psychiatric history will be turned down from firearm ownership. Possession of a Firearm by the Mentally Ill

Though I think that's just one of many factors leading to the original post here, I feel it is one of the most important to share.

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by IkNOwSTuff

Originally posted by Majic
Seriously folks. No more bickering. Post bans next.

Look what you guys did to that poor little pony, I dont think he is playing, he looks mad! How dare you!!

@iknowstuff- how is it a fact thag the average gun owner has 3-5 guns? Especially seeing how there is now actual reliable stats to make such a statement, this is of course not to mention that you seem to know little about us Americans, or what we would or would not have.

So where did these numbers come from? As I know a lot of gun owners, and I know very few that have 3-5, most have 2 max, basically a good hunting rifle and a reliable pistol.

How were we offended by your asserting that which you dont know? Seems more likely some were put off by your ignorance on aj issue your attempting to claim a clear understanding of.

Just saying ....if the shoe fits and all that jazz.
edit on 11-3-2013 by inverslyproportional because: (no reason given)

The numbers of 3-5 guns per average owner was used against me in another gun thread, I always remembered that figure because to me it seemed absurd, even worse was that a large percentage owned more than 8!!!

I didnt mean anyone was offended by my posts, I meant why were people upset or offended by the survey?
What proof do you have it was wrong?

As I had stated preciously, there is n o proof to be had, as a lot of americans are distrustful of government, hence the second amendment and our gun culture to begin with. So a lot already lie about these stats when asked, not of course mentioning the fudging of polls etc for the purposes of propaganda, which a lot also know is total crap, hence the fact most americans are not using mainstream source any more, ajd are seeking out alternative news sites on the net.

There is no clear way of putting this other than americans know a lot more about americans, then anyone from another country ever could through their media.

As has been made fun of on many american tv shows, a lot of foreigners think americans are good looking, because our media always portrays us that way, when in fact a lot are not beatiful at all, but just regular peeps that work hard for a living. And have little time for teeth bleaching and tanning or facials etc...

Your drinking your medias koolaid, and ours. Neither are accurate as to what is actually taking place on a daily basiz in american life. I kean go look at any american media source, read an article, then look at the comments, most will read a lot like this board does, and be in direct opposition to what the media report.

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 06:35 PM
link   

Nobody has claimed that the majority of americans are guns owners, it just seems your trying to claim that all that arent are against guns, which is of course..................not very intelligent.

A few very vocal anti gun people are against them, not even close to a majority of americans though.

Actually a few on this thread have implied that the majority of Americans are gun owners.
All Ive claimed is that the survey from the OP is most likely correct and Ive given my reasons for why I believe it.

To me this isnt even a for or against guns issue, sticking with the OP, Im curious why anyone would dispute the survey? so far we have either because of record gun sales which is bunk, or because alot or all the people they know own guns which thats just say you were extremely popular and everyone you knew had a gun, that would be what? maybe 200 hundred people?

And second why is it even a problem if the survey was true?

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 06:45 PM
link   
I do not know anyone personally who is anti-gun. I am not sure I know anyone who does not have a firearm of some sort in their home for that matter. However, I live in an area where there are a lot of hunters, farmers, and target shooters.

I know for fact that there are some gun shops putting a two a day limit on certain ammunitions because of demand. I also know that the gun shops around here are constantly filled with both first time buyers and multiple gun owners.

The CCW classes here are filling quickly. My wife and I are doing one in a few weeks. She just bought her first firearm a Taurus PT740 .40cal.

I would suspect a lot of this is people not claiming owning weapons. I for one do not trust most polls enough to answer personal questions honestly.

Raist

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 06:46 PM
link   

Well given most americans are familiar with the basic 300 million 100 million concept, which is there are 300 million guns, and roughly ( as there is absolutely no way of knowing for sure by either side, any that claim they do are lying ) 100 million gun owners. This is the most widely used an known stat relative to this issue.

I am not claiming that it is accurate, as I have already stated, americans are suspicious of .gov, thus lie when asked these questions, so there is no accurate meSure or survey or stat that can be used, there are only estimates.

So if asked, an I were to answer honestly, I would say it is entirely possible that only folks I have met own a couple, and all the rest are in the hands of a couple thousand folks. Seems absurd, and entirely unlikely, but there is jo way say with any certainty that this isnt the case.

But on the inverse, it is also entirely reasonable to say over half of americans own one or two, and it would be just as likely, as there is no way to know.

Which is in the end, what they are actually scared of, as they know the number out there, just not the who or how many, and there is jo way for them to find out, as most of us will not tell the .gov, or a pollster for them, or anyone but close family and friends honestly.

So I would feel pretty comfortable guaranteeing most of the coments I have seen so far on here, have a very high probability of being accurate, with the admission, they could also be inaccurate.

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 07:01 PM
link   
reply to post by inverslyproportional

I had to star the your last post for your last line

Very true

Im basing my position exclusively on the 300 Million guns in the country, you move that figure to 400, 500 or 600 and my theory is blown out of the water.

From what Ive heard and seen the survey seems reasonable but Ill bow out here, nothing can be proven either way and me continuing is just likely to upset people or get me post banned LOL.

Felt good to engage in an actual discussion on a gun thread without it turning into childish bickering for once.
Cheers to all who actually spoke like adults with me and special thanks to the cutesy unicorn

edit on 11/3/2013 by IkNOwSTuff because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 07:07 PM
link   

Actually here is a good link for what I am talking about, it is popular science, and they ran a story about guns in america that all americans know to be false, pretty kuch the only agreeing views were from foreigners, as they drink the koolaid, most of tye americans cried foul right off the jump.

www.popsci.com...

It was actually a quite funny read for me, and will help illustrate exactly what I am saying about the propaganda flying around, I think the comments below the article will shed a lot of light on exactly what I am saying for.

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 07:23 PM
link   

These are the numbers I've seen as best estimates:

*50 million households own a gun – roughly half of all households

*Total number of guns in America estimated @270 million - almost as many guns as people

I think this proves America is certainly not anti-gun. You're right, its a small vocal minority making all the fuss.

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 07:38 PM
link   
reply to post by TDawgRex

Definitely propaganda. Just take a look at how many firearms have been bought in the last 4 years.
Gun sales are at an all time high and just from what I personally see in my circle of people there are a dozen or more who have never owned firearms before that have bought them recently.

Millions of firearms have been sold in the last few years to the extent manufactures have had to freeze any new orders because their so far behind.

So unless all those millions of firearms are being bought by the same 3-4 people I would say that story is bull.

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 07:43 PM
link   
reply to post by mwood

You have the best avi on the net, I swear it, I have seen you arojnd a couple of times, but always forget to mention it, just outstanding.

GREENBAY ALL THE WAY!!!

Sorry guys I know off topic, couldnt resist though.

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 07:52 PM
link   

reply to post by mwood

You have the best avi on the net, I swear it, I have seen you arojnd a couple of times, but always forget to mention it, just outstanding.

GREENBAY ALL THE WAY!!!

Sorry guys I know off topic, couldnt resist though.

A certain angry looking unicorn has been alerted to your offtopic and dare I say completely false post and will be along shortly to deliver a post ban and a rather unpleasant poking with his magic horn

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 07:54 PM
link   

Statements as fact is not your strong suit. So, please show me where your numbers are from and what Govt agency provided it.

As for belief in why, seeing as that you aren't here, from here or interact with people here daily, your view is a result if your intake from the media and ATS. Not real life.

edit on 11-3-2013 by macman because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 08:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
I think the thread I wrote on Gun Sales said it best. Those are the numbers that cannot be fudged or lie. They simply report raw numbers of warm bodies standing at a counter, waiting for a gun. They indicate dramatic increase. Indeed... VERY dramatic for the %'s taken across a population as large as ours.

Official 2012 FBI Gun Sale Total Numbers Are In! Up 39% Nationally!

I think the survey here says the willingness of people to honestly answer this question on surveys has decreased dramatically over an extended period of time.

Dramatic increase for this current time and for the last year, yes.

However, that's not what the study looked at, they looked at ownership over a 40 year period.

4 million NRA members out of 330 million Americans really doesn't help to explain why the NRA is such a powerful lobby in Washington if they were truly representing members.

However, we all know the NRA is now on the side of MANUFACTURERS, not members, and as such, gets hundreds of millions in funding.

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 08:11 PM
link   
reply to post by mwood

From a Packer Backer in Ohio to a Packer Backer in Arizona and on to the world...It has to be truth!

CheezHeads rule!

There have been so many firearms manufactured over the past 40 years, there really is no way that the fed can track them.
edit on 11-3-2013 by TDawgRex because: BTW....SUPER BOWL BOUND!

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 08:13 PM
link   
reply to post by macman

So, please show me where your numbers are from and what Govt agency provided it.

You want me to provide facts and figures from a government you say you dont trust

I could go to the effort but you wouldnt believe them anyway so whats point

As for belief in why, seeing as that you aren't here, from here or interact with people here daily is a result if your intake from the media and ATS. Not real life.

So if I understand this line correctly you believe this survey to be false based on me not being American.
My friend I appreciate the importance you place on me but I highly doubt the survey makers took my nationality into consideration when compiling their data.

Talking with you is pointless, from this point on in any gun related thread Im just gonna ignore you, but since you consider me so dense and stupid Im most likely doing you a favour. If you do feel the need to respond to me pass your message on to another member who can translate it into a semblance of polite, adult and on topic dialogue. Im actually making an effort to involve myself in these discussions without being rude or confrontational, maybe you could try the same

Cheers

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 08:23 PM
link   

I remember back in the eighties. People were arming themselves as well. This was during the Reagan years. And I may be wrong, but the NICS wasn't standardized until the early nineties. (I may be wrong on that part)

There are a crap load of weapons out there where the Feds have no idea who has what. And the owners ain’t telling either.

edit on 11-3-2013 by TDawgRex because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 08:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by TDawgRex

There are a crap load of weapons out there where the Feds have no idea who has what. And the owners ain’t telling either.

edit on 11-3-2013 by TDawgRex because: (no reason given)

Quoting for the truth.

This more than anything is true. I can say for fact there are a lot of firearms in this area. I would wager money on most of them not being registered either. Sure they filled out paperwork in many cases to buy a firearm, but there is nothing that can prove any of them still own the weapon.

How many were handed down? How many were bought private sale? These are numbers that leave a lot of untold numbers.

Raist

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join