It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Recent methane leaks, sinkholes show more evidence Dangerous Gas Theory may be correct!

page: 16
<< 13  14  15    17  18 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 25 2013 @ 07:46 AM
link   

Also, I've said it before, how can you be so sure that these methane plumes aren't rising into the stratosphere and the mesosphere when we have no way of testing the air in those levels? There may be much more than trace amounts in those levels and you nor I know for sure.
reply to post by Rezlooper

I was under the impression we can test the levels in the stratosphere and mesosphere. Let me see if I have anything bookmarked in regards to methane. I know I read something in that regard, even lately since this thread began.

Thought so... lol Think I read this last night actually. HA! Losing my mind!

www.sciencedirect.com...

We investigate the influence that rising concentrations of methane, nitrous oxide and carbon dioxide have had upon the chemistry of the mesosphere since 1961. Calculations were performed using our global 3D-model LIMA (Leibniz-Institute Middle Atmosphere), designed for the investigation of the MLT-region (Mesosphere-Lower Thermosphere) and particularly for the extended mesopause region. LIMA utilizes observed tropospheric and lower stratospheric temperature and horizontal wind data up to 35 km altitude by assimilating ECMWF/ERA-40 and ECMWF operational data. Real Lyman-α flux values are employed to determine the variable water vapor dissociation rate. Three different calculations were carried out and analyzed: (1) use of the same annual variation of the model dynamics in the chemical transport model (CTM) for all years according to the dynamics of the solar minimum year 1964 and employment of a realistic growth of the anthropogenic gases; (2) use of constant concentrations of the anthropogenic constituents at the lower border, but employment of the varying model dynamics; (3) the so-called realistic case, which considers both the long-term increase in the anthropogenic minor constituents and the varying dynamics according to LIMA calculations. The analysis of these three cases shows that the dynamics are able to counteract the impact of anthropogenic growth of minor constituents in the upper mesosphere-mesopause-lower thermosphere region in middle to high latitudes in summer. The water vapor mixing ratio increases due to rising methane concentration. The reason for this lies in a positive feedback process of autocatalytic water vapor production. The change in concentration of the minor constituents impacts both the cooling rate and the chemical heating rate. We present the relative and absolute deviations between the solar activity minimum years 1964 and 2008 for the most important minor constituents. We discuss the long-term behavior, particularly of water vapor, with regard to the impact on the NLC-region.

edit on 25-3-2013 by MamaJ because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2013 @ 08:00 AM
link   

Of the three factors considered here, methane increases are found to exert the strongest influence on surface ozone.

Read the full text for further understanding.

onlinelibrary.wiley.com...

posted on Mar, 25 2013 @ 08:13 AM
link   
This is interesting. I had no clue.... ah.... learn something new everyday.

The positive side of methane?

A sharp increase in methane gas in the atmosphere since 1978 will probably make the earth warmer and may worsen seasonal losses of protective ozone over Antarctica, scientists say. But the 11 percent increase in methane in the last decade may also slow depletion of the ozone shield over the rest of the planet, said F. Sherwood Rowland and Donald R. Blake, chemists at the University of California at Irvine.

www.nytimes.com...

The Earth seems to have it all figured out. If we, the ignorant humans do not get in the way, she could rectify any problems herself.

posted on Mar, 25 2013 @ 08:27 AM
link   
reply to post by MamaJ

Problem is...we inevitably will get in the way!

posted on Mar, 25 2013 @ 08:30 AM
link   

From what I have read, we already are. We are trying to combat issues with aerosols and there are some that are concerned we will send us into an ice age.

The Earth will self correct.... but we..... will cause it to be outta balance and cause all hell to break lose.

Silly humans!

posted on Mar, 25 2013 @ 11:50 AM
link   
reply to post by MamaJ

The Earth seems to have it all figured out. If we, the ignorant humans do not get in the way, she could rectify any problems herself.

How so?
How does reducing high altitude ozone depletion rectify the warming effects of CO2 and methane?
How does an increase in low level ozone (a pollutant,) caused by methane, rectify the warming?

posted on Mar, 25 2013 @ 02:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

How so? Which are you referring to? The Earth rectifying or humans being ignorant and getting in the way?

You, Phage, are the expert in this field. You tell me.

posted on Mar, 25 2013 @ 02:50 PM
link   
reply to post by MamaJ

Which are you referring to?
I am referring to the post which I replied to in which you said talked about a "positive side of methane" in the context of how the Earth "could rectify any problems herself".

The article (from 1988) that you posted says that increased methane levels would probably increase warming and increase polar ozone loss. It also does say that it may slow the depletion of ozone elsewhere.

How does that "rectify" the problem of increasing greenhouse gases and warming?

Mr. Rowland and Mr. Blake also said that because increasing atmospheric methane reduces the amount of hydroxyl present, it may reduce the atmosphere's ability to cleanse itself of pollutants. Hydroxyl reacts with many pollutants and removes them from the atmosphere.

www.nytimes.com...

posted on Mar, 25 2013 @ 03:04 PM
link   

I'm not sure if you have read this article or not. I will link it just in case.
www.skepticalscience.com...

OLYMPIA, Wash.— In its water-quality report to the Environmental Protection Agency, the state of Washington classified the entire Puget Sound as “waters of concern” because of ocean acidification’s threat to local shellfish and fish resources. This means the data show that ocean acidification is threatening the region’s ability to support fish and shellfish. It also makes the area a priority for more monitoring and assessment. “Ocean acidification is putting the whole Puget Sound ecosystem at risk,” said Miyoko Saka#a, oceans director at the Center for Biological Diversity. “Focusing on the entire Sound as a ‘water of concern’ because of ocean acidification is a key step toward monitoring the effects of this sea change and curbing those effects.” The Pacific Northwest is particularly vulnerable to the impacts of ocean acidification. For many of the past six years, the region’s baby oysters have been unable to survive, in part due to acidifying waters. Scientists have documented waters affected by ocean acidification upwelling along the Pacific Coast during certain seasons and exposing marine life to corrosive waters. “The science is in, and it says the Northwest’s stretch of ocean, and all the marine life it supports, is in trouble,” said Saka#a. “Washington may also be a warning beacon for the future of our oceans. But it isn’t enough to simply recognize the problem. We have to act, and that means cutting carbon pollution.

And this article as well... www.oceanleadership.org...

On November 27, Washington State Governor Chris Gregoire and her Blue Ribbon Panel on Ocean Acidification released a detailed report and plan of action to address the present and future impacts of acidification on Washington’s marine environment. The panel was convened by the Governor due in part to the near catastrophic effect that the acidification of local marine environments had on Pacific Northwest oyster hatcheries between 2005 and 2009, where billions of oyster larvae died and hatchery output plummeted.

scitechdaily.com... is cited below...

We carried out checks at about 115 stationary points and discovered methane fields of a fantastic scale – I think on a scale not seen before,” Dr. Semiletov says. “Some plumes were a kilometer or more wide and the emissions went directly into the atmosphere – the concentration was a hundred times higher than normal.”

posted on Mar, 25 2013 @ 03:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

I don't care when it was from, I stated I had no idea there was a positive side.

But the 11 percent increase in methane in the last decade may also slow depletion of the ozone shield over the rest of the planet,

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 10:29 PM
link   
I don't know if this is a good or bad thing. Doesn't sound to good though to drill into the methane hydrates in an attempt to capture the release of the gas. If they fail to capture it all, they are just throwing more fuel on the fire.

Japan taps into hydrates, undersea methane raises the stakes

Japan has successfully captured natural gas from deep under the ocean by tapping into methane hydrates, using a new technology that could revolutionize the world’s energy supply. It is the first country to succeed in exploiting the gas.

The gas supplies locked into methane hydrates, also known as methane clathrates and “fire ice”, are potentially the largest single source of fossil fuels on the planet and for Japan, a country desperate for its own energy supplies, this could be an economic lifeline.

On the other hand, many would regard almost unlimited supplies of a new fossil fuel as bad news in a world where there is already climate change caused by man’s existing excess carbon emissions.

The quantity of energy locked away in these formations is enormous. If you melt a one cubic meter block of methane hydrate, about 160 cubic meters of gaseous methane will be released.

So far the problem with exploiting the hydrates has been that they become unstable if the pressure or temperature changes. However, it is by reducing the pressure on the deposits in controlled conditions that Japanese technicians have been able to capture the released methane.

Environmental groups fear the global warming potential of hydrates. Scientists are already studying the effect of warming oceans and permafrost melting on the large deposits of hydrates on the sea-bed and in the tundra.

The prospect of drilling into them and possibly releasing methane – a potent greenhouse gas – in an attempt to exploit them for fuel will spark an international debate

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 11:04 AM
link   
Not sure if this video has been posted, however I thought it was pretty cool. If it has been viewed already, my apologies.

edit on 28-3-2013 by MamaJ because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 03:21 PM
link   
reply to post by MamaJ

Here are a few more disturbing videos.
They are a bit long but worth the watch if you are concerned about the possibility of a conspiracy or natural disaster threat to the world as we know it.

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 05:02 PM
link   
reply to post by happykat39

Hey Happykat

Thank you for the videos.... watching one of them now.....

You and I both may be affected if one were to happen within the New Madrid Zone.

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 05:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by MamaJ

Hey Happykat

Thank you for the videos.... watching one of them now.....

You and I both may be affected if one were to happen within the New Madrid Zone.

If the Edgar Cayce prophecy does come true and the middle of the country becomes an inland sea, everybody from the east coast to the Rockies will be affected, and not in a good way. That much shaking could bring down buildings all the way to the east coast and possibly set Yellowstone off.

If that happens we may not even have time to bend over, tuck our collective heads between our collective legs and kiss our tushes goodbye.

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 05:28 PM
link   

Hahaha.... I know its not funny, per say but that visual was a little funny.

I can't help it.... been a fan of Edgar's since my early twenties and I do think of the future map often and wonder if it did come to be, how would it happen.

Geological changes are inevitable. It happens... always has and "we" the people will have to adjust, well... those of us that survive.

IF (big IF) there comes a time when there are so many "bigger" EQ's, Volcanic Activity, and more sink holes, animal die offs and such...... you can't help but think there is something going on with the Planets crust and or core, magnetic field... SOMETHING... causing it.

I'm a why type of person who needs an answer for anything and everything.

I just got through listening to the Bayou, LA one and he seems worried. He even speaks of sunrises and sunsets being off.... I can't say one way or another because I, myself, have not witnessed such. The fema stuff... eh? I don't know.

I think my philosophy of life pretty much keeps me from fearing anything much, other than something happening to my kids, of course. Other than that.... I don't fear.

I would actually welcome a good change, however I still want answers and ask why.

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 06:17 PM
link   

The second video was a little annoying. lol I ended up getting side tracked and started watching this video.... pretty cool and an eye opener into some history as well. See what ya think.

Watching third video now.

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 06:50 AM
link   
Read news this morning that kind of relates to this thread.

www.nzweek.com...

"Massive seafloor craters found in waters off New Zealand"

Gas release from the larger pockmarks could have been sudden and possibly even violent, with a massive volume expelled into the ocean and atmosphere within hours or days. Scientists could not rule out volcanic activity having caused the release of gas, but another possibility was the release of sub- seafloor hydrocarbon gas, which would have coincided with drops in the sea level of about 100 meters during ice ages and subsequent warming of sea temperatures.

The three giant pockmarks, the largest measuring 11 km by 6 km in diameter and 100 meters deep, were possibly twice the size of the largest pockmarks recorded in scientific literature, said a statement from New Zealand’s Institute of Geological and Nuclear Sciences (GNS Science).

An international team of scientists have found what they believe are the world’s biggest ” pockmarks” — craters formed by seafloor eruptions of gas or fluids — in waters off New Zealand.

“Methane is a potent greenhouse gas and the escape of big volumes would have significant implications for climate change and ocean acidification,” he said. The research had global implications because the episodic and cumulative release of greenhouse gases into the ocean and atmosphere in the geological past would have contributed to episodes of global warming.

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 10:07 PM
link   
reply to post by MamaJ

Thanks for posting this Mama. There's been a lot of activities in this part of the world in the last couple of years that can be definitely related to methane gas. Many in NZ but also on the Eastern coast of Australia to. You wonder how many more of these pockmarks are releasing methane now. I said in an earlier quote about the methane and hydrogen sulfide reaching the surface and escaping into the atmosphere.

I've cited numerous articles that show these plumes should normally dissolve before they reach the surface but many of them aren't. And when they do release there is enough in the local concentration if it reaches 5% or higher to have an explosive mix. These plumes may spread more evenly once they reach higher into the troposphere but at less than 10 meters all they need is an ignition source for a very loud explosion.

Also, I've said it before, how can you be so sure that these methane plumes aren't rising into the stratosphere and the mesosphere when we have no way of testing the air in those levels? There may be much more than trace amounts in those levels and you nor I know for sure.

These plumes can be responsible for mysterious explosions. Also, the plumes in the atmosphere can be responsible for bird die-offs and under the surface can be responsible for many of these fish die-offs. Here are some of the die offs in the last year in this region. This part of the world also has a lot of seismic and volcanic activity.

Blackbird die off

Unknown cause of penguin deaths

Massive fish kill along Coromandel beaches

Thousands of Bluebottle jellyfish wash up at Oreti beach

28 whales beached at Golden Bay

There are also many unexplained explosions and deaths in New Zealand that can be found listed on Jonny's site jumpingjackflashhypothesis.blogspot.com

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 12:53 PM
link   
Here's an update on some sonic boom noises

Loud booms reported near Union Lake, MI

Local authorities received several calls from residents at Matteson Lake and in areas as far away as Union City reporting a loud noise that sounded like an explosion. The very loud, strong sonic booms caused 30 to 40 reports to the 911 center according to one dispatcher, some of which were transferred from Calhoun County dispatch.

Here is a case of weeks after the boom, the military now claims it was them, but there are many doubters according to this article

Did Navy plane's sonic boom cause tremors

But most people who reported the strange event on March 19 spoke of buildings and the earth shaking, rather than of hearing a distant boom or rumbling. According to Abbotts, while sonic booms can be very powerful, and rattle windows 30 miles away, a boom would not shake buildings or be felt as a tremor.

And yet another one that weeks later was determined to be sonic booms from military in Jersey this time

March 19 rumblings in North Jersey the result of military jets

Initial reports of loud noises and windows rattling in the region March 19 could not be linked to an earthquake or military training from nearby bases. The U.S. Geological Survey’s National Earthquake Information Center said there was no recorded seismic activity in the area, and calls to nearby military bases revealed no testing had taken place. But several calls later revealed the source — fighter jets flying from the Naval Air Station Patuxent River in Maryland.

top topics

<< 13  14  15    17  18 >>

join