It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Only 2% of people on welfare tested for drugs in florida came up with positive drug tests.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 11:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by bjax9er

Originally posted by bknapple32
reply to post by bjax9er

Please continue to ignore the fact that Rick Scott is personally making money off these tests he signed into law. Because that's what ats is about, ignorance.

oh really?
how much exactly did he make?

i thought the thread was about waste, and civil rights.

Considering his bank account goes up due to ownership of the testing company, I'd say plenty . How do you not see the true motive there?

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 11:51 PM
link   
I think the governor had a stake in the lab that did the testing - that was my understanding.

Just a note though - I'm poor. Wasn't always poor. Used to make fairly decent money in a fairly respectable position. Same for my husband.

Then life and the DEPRESSION happened. Now we're officially working poor. We'll rebound if housing ever picks up in our area. We're sure of that, but so far, it's not.

Anyway - I'm POOR. That's it. I resent being called "our weaker citizens" or "Our lesser citizens."
I'm not any of that stuff.

I'm JUST poor.

We're fairly educated, have skills, own a home, stay informed, participate in politics, and we VOTE.

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 11:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by jhn7537
reply to post by conspiracy nut

Comparing a paid worker to a slave is a poor comparison. And you are looking at the extremes to make your point, not evaluating both ends of the spectrum. And I've said this once and I'll say it again. If you're a good worker, you can find work here in this country. I can leave my job tomorrow and have a new one in days, I have recruiters hounding me weekly with great opportunities. So to act like there are no good jobs here is crazy (like so many do)... If you're great at what you do, you will find work, if you can't find work, maybe you're not as good as you think.

So because you happen to have that situation, it is the same for everyone else in this country. Amazing logic.

I have a phd and 5 years of management experience in TWO different fields. And it took moving across the country to get a good job. I was unemployed for 3 months after the company I worked for lost in the elections. I submitted over 300 applications in that time. I was either not right, or overqualified every time. not once did I apply for unemployment. But that was because my wife and I saved our butts off before. However just because thats my situation does not mean others were able to save, hence I dont project my life on others with my logic.

On your point of slavery... I think you miss CT's point. Essentially thats what businesses are doing by shipping the job overseas to China. Might as well be slave labor when you move your job to a country where they work for pennies on the dollar.
edit on 4-3-2013 by bknapple32 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 11:58 PM
link   
As mentioned anyone with half a brain can pass a urine drug test. They really do need to start testing everyone in DC and all public servants under supervised circumstances.
You can still get pills in Florida it all depends on how motivated someone is. Oycontin is name brand oxycodone.
edit on 4-3-2013 by tompumped because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 12:00 AM
link   

reply to post by conspiracy nut

I guess you missed the part about the whizzinator or other products like that. They are VERY common today... But the story here is why do people deserve money for nothing??? Welfare recipients are leaching off this country and I'm sick of paying for them and I know many others are too...
edit on 3-3-2013 by jhn7537 because: (no reason given)

The whizzinator? Have you been to a drug testing facility lately? I had to for my recent job and they check for contraptions like that, at least in the real world they do.

Money for nothing? Im pretty sure its a social safety net for those who consistently worked 3/4's of the prior year they are applied for. My wife applied for unemployment before she met me and had to prove she worked in 3 quarters of the past year. had she not, and just have been this lazy leech, well, then she NEVER would have qualified.

But no, its as simple as republican talking points that move across the bottom of your screen on Fox News.

Does any of your family ever receive a credit on their taxes amounting to a larger refund? If so, Id demand they send that back because it's the same thing if you extrapolate.

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 12:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by tompumped
As mentioned anyone with half a brain can pass a drug test. They really do need to start testing everyone in DC and all public servants under supervised circumstances.
You can still get pills in Florida it all depends on how motivated someone is. Oycontin is name brand oxycodone.

Again more ignorance from someone who has no real world experience in the matter. I'd refer you to my post about my wife and her medical situation here in FL, but since it doesn't jive with you're attempt at a point, you'll ignore it.

Motivated? No one is more motivated than a husband driving his wife form ER to ER, clinic to clinic for 24 hours straight because his wife couldn't sleep for three days straight because her crying got in the way of any REM cycles.

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 12:06 AM
link   

As mentioned anyone with half a brain can pass a urine drug test. They really do need to start testing everyone in DC and all public servants under supervised circumstances.

Oh and by the way, try not to pass off medical knowledge when you don't know what you're talking about.

Oxycontin is NOT the name brand of oxycodone. At all.

Oxycodone is the active ingredient of both Oxycontin and oxycodone, and at first glance it may seem like they are the same, but they are not .
The problem with Oxycontin is that a large percentage of the oxycodone is immediately released, while the rest is released over time. The purpose of this is to give immediate relief of pain, while keeping pain controlled over time with the delayed absorption of part of the medication.

[OXYCONTIN = A DRUG TO TREAT CHRONIC PAIN (ER) -EXTENDED RELEASE] >>Oxycontin is usually taken every 12hr. [OXYCODONE= A DRUG TO TREAT ACUTE/CHRONIC PAIN FOUND IN OXYCONTIN] >>Oxycodone is usually taken every 4-6hr.

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 12:07 AM
link   
reply to post by bknapple32

Unemployed for only 3 months is pretty good. Many folks just wait for that "right" opportunity to come around and turn down work that's beneath them. When I was in between jobs before (about 5 years ago) I treated my "unemployment" as a full-time job and spent well over 40 hours each week searching out my next job. I put in the work and found a job that fit what I was looking to do within 3 weeks. Now, that I have great experience and a solid reputation within my industry, jobs come to me. I don't believe my situation is unique, because many of the people I know, deal with, all say the same things I described a couple posts earlier. YOU, did the work, you treated your unemployment like a job and you worked your tail off to get your next position, so I commend you for that. I wish more people took that approach today
(and you had savings, which shows you're responsible
)

I'm not here to fight with you. I have my opinion, you have yours, I'm not saying mine is necessarily right, but it's how I feel. I'm not here to convince you to switch over or anything...
edit on 4-3-2013 by jhn7537 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 12:10 AM
link   
reply to post by jhn7537

Right, but you know the saying ... Crap happens....

What about the family where they dont have a savings? An uninsured motorist hits their car and flees, and because of this, husband now pays his 1000$ deductible so he can use the car to go to work. There's no bus service that can take him to work. And he doesnt know anyone in town to give him a ride. He's out 1000, and now he has been let go because he couldnt come in for his shift. They literally live paycheck to paycheck. Lets just say there was nothing they could do to stop being let go. How are they supposed to pay the rent while waiting for the next job? Even if Man x or woman y did what we did? IF they couldnt afford saving up then what? Because if he gets a job 3 weeks later, that means he doesnt get a paycheck until 5 weeks. By then rent is late and they are evicted.

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 12:10 AM
link   
What a waste of money to test these people.......
wow

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 12:16 AM
link   

It's unfortunate... But I'm also a person with a firm stance on not having kids until you are financially stable. Many families today don't practice safe sex or they rush to have families when their household income is less than $35k a year. People today need to be more responsible and just can't expect for the Govt. or someone else to just make things all better for them. I came from nothing and that's my driving force even to this day. I want to make sure I never live a life similar to how I was raised and if I ever choose to have kids, they will be given every opportunity I wasn't. And coming from nothing, with that fear of one day going back, motivates me every day to be better than my competition in my field. That's my driving force today and it will be mine tomorrow...

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 12:18 AM
link   

They are harder and harder to get anymore, because, of all the abuse. Some doctors are afraid to even prescribe them now, and that's not just in FL, it's all over.

It's sad that the people that they were designed for are getting denied proper management of pain, because, others abuse them. I had a hard time getting pain medication even with an illness that is notoriously painful. I feel for your wife, because, I know what that's like; living with chronic pain is awful.

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 12:21 AM
link   
You're ignorant and maybe if you went to more places you'd find there are still dirty doctors around. They would give her more than perc tens if she wanted.
How ignorant is it to think by going to a handful of places that you know what its like all over the state? Also don't you think maybe I read your posts since I responded to them?
I know from real world experience and I don't care whether you believe me or not. I just can't stand being called ignorant when the person pointing the finger is far more ignorant.

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 12:27 AM
link   

It's unfortunate... But I'm also a person with a firm stance on not having kids until you are financially stable. Many families today don't practice safe sex or they rush to have families when their household income is less than $35k a year. People today need to be more responsible and just can't expect for the Govt. or someone else to just make things all better for them. I came from nothing and that's my driving force even to this day. I want to make sure I never live a life similar to how I was raised and if I ever choose to have kids, they will be given every opportunity I wasn't. And coming from nothing, with that fear of one day going back, motivates me every day to be better than my competition in my field. That's my driving force today and it will be mine tomorrow...

My point wasnt so much about kids.. But more that I believe most everyone in this country has gotten money from the government at some point in some way. IE, a tax credit for having a child. Or even a tax credit for going to college.

Anywho... My main point is this, do people corrupt the system? Sure. But in today's age of fear mongering news, I think the problem is overblown. Id rather some bad apples be able to take advantage of getting 300 bucks a week, if that means that good honest hard working families get that same 300 bucks a week so they can pay the rent.

Because at the end of the day. Those hard working families are protected from becoming homeless, and will end up most likely succeeding in life because they got through the dark times without the ultimate real rock bottom. And those true bad apples? Well... they will live off 300 a week for life. You and I have already won.

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 12:32 AM
link   
I guess since its extended release that makes it entirely different. I know for a fact before they reformulated oxycontin the only thing making it extended release was a thin coating. You might be right but you are still ignorant.

back-pain.emedtv.com...

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 12:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by daryllyn

They are harder and harder to get anymore, because, of all the abuse. Some doctors are afraid to even prescribe them now, and that's not just in FL, it's all over.

It's sad that the people that they were designed for are getting denied proper management of pain, because, others abuse them. I had a hard time getting pain medication even with an illness that is notoriously painful. I feel for your wife, because, I know what that's like; living with chronic pain is awful.

Yea.. I feel that the problem was so bad here in FL, that the pendulum has been swung far harder than it needed to be the other way. In Nevada, if you had real pain, you got your meds. Not so much in Fl. It was a rude awakening here. You understand. On top of that, she was diagnosed with fibromyalgia 29 (same time as her surgery). Ignoring the fact that some doctors ever refuse to recognize fibromyalgia... Imagine pain still felt from lung surgery( stemming from an illness that left her in the ICU for 30 days) mixed with chronic pain, and an improper ( in that she had a plan to wean off with her dr) cold turkey withdrawal effect from her medication.

Needless to say, her pain was real. And she was refused treatment because government bureaucrats say no. And I dont even blame Rick Scott for that. Because she and I are in the same circles as he, and the truth of the matter is, he fought all these crackdowns because his rich donor base abused these pills as badly as homeless joe buying one pill at a time.

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 12:40 AM
link   

You're ignorant and maybe if you went to more places you'd find there are still dirty doctors around. They would give her more than perc tens if she wanted.
How ignorant is it to think by going to a handful of places that you know what its like all over the state? Also don't you think maybe I read your posts since I responded to them?
I know from real world experience and I don't care whether you believe me or not. I just can't stand being called ignorant when the person pointing the finger is far more ignorant.

Just because you use the words more than twice doesnt mean you are using it correctly. I dont base this off my own experience. Although seeing as there was a minimum two hour wait at each office, it was literally impossible to go to more places in a single day.

But I base it on the facts from on the ground here in Miami Dade. Are you aware of the database system being used to monitor the scripts these dr's are writing? They are fined, lose govt funds, or lose their dea license if they piss these watch dogs off. Each and every dr we spoke with couldnt even give a referal to a 'leaner' dr. Sitting across the table from my sobbing wife, I knew they felt for her and were at that point where if there was even a hint that they knew of another dr that would help, they would have led us that way.

But dont believe me. Go try yourself. I implore you. Do you even live in FL? Sure, if you make an appt, and wait 4 weeks, you could probably get a script. But if you arent an established patient, you are NOT getting anything. And frankly, whats the point 4 weeks from now, when my wife needs to go to work and function tomorrow?

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 12:46 AM
link   

You might be right but you are still ignorant.

Id go look up the definition.

Again for the record to anyone who has read this. Do not take medical advice from anyone other than your dr. Heck don't even believe me when I say oxycontin and oxycodone are different. Ask you dr. He will explain how they are in fact different however.

And this is the crux of the issue. People who are not dr's, making ignorant statements like drug a and b are the same because they share the same letters are the one's determining who gets what nowadays. Whether it be unemployment, or prescriptions. Or not giving out unemployment because of not understanding the prescription problem of that state.

What do people expect those who were hooked on these drugs to do? You have a state where there was abuse. At a high level. And if you know anything of opioid abuse, the chemical dependency is alarming. Withdrawals are SEVERE. I wouldnt be surprised to see these pill addictions turn into a much worse street drug addiction problem now that the pills have been removed. A bunch of desperate people in pain ( legit or withdrawal, makes no difference at that point) with nowhere legal to turn is a bad thing.

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 04:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hopechest
Whether 100% test positive or 0% test positive should have no impact on the decision to end welfare.

Its irrelevant.

Welfare, in all its forms, needs to go.

And then what? Let babies and children starve?

Sorry, I'm FOR welfare, when it is given to people who are truly in need, who are trying to rebuild their lives and not use it as a lifestyle.

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 06:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by conspiracy nut
not a huge fan of rachel maddow so bear with me on the source
mods sorry if i put this thread in the wrong forum.

drug testing people on welfare.

‎"Only about 2% of applicants tested positive, and Florida was forced to reimburse everyone else for the cost of the drug test, plus pay for staff and administrative costs for the drug-testing program, plus pay the legal fees to defend the policy against court challenges -- and the challenges were successful."

i found this tidbit of information very interesting. lets stop demonizing welfare recipients and find a way to bring the jobs back to america and put these people back to work! perhaps government assistance getting these people to move to a place where there is available work.

they should test the good for nothing baby daddy who's not on the lease or the welfare application. the amount of abuse in this system is staggering and can't be ignored

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join