Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Only 2% of people on welfare tested for drugs in florida came up with positive drug tests.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 07:35 PM
link   
reply to post by bknapple32

Maybe there has been a "crackdown" in whatever part of the state you are in, but I have many relatives in Florida that complain about all the "pill heads" incessantly.

We had several pain management clinics in our area and many doctors who for the price of an office visit would prescribe whatever the patient wanted. We had a "crackdown" and now it is hard to get more than a 10 day prescription for any pain meds, and even then it is usually a mild pain med. Not a problem for the legal junkies though- it's only a little over an hours drive to Houston where they can can hop from clinic to clinic all day long, and most have their own pharmacies to fill the prescriptions within them.

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 07:48 PM
link   
That number has no bearing on reality. First, it takes only 3 days for all drugs except marijuana to get out of your system; and less time if you use flush products. Another thing to note, all your headshops have products called 'quick fix', it's fake pee you just throw it in the microwave for 10 seconds then tape it to your leg; nobody watches you take the piss test so there is no guarantee that results are accurate. This 2% is just the number of super idiots on welfare that don't know how to beat a drug test, especially if they know well in advance when they will be taking it.

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 07:56 PM
link   
OK, now let's test for alcohol abuse.

2nd line.

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 07:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by conspiracy nut
i dont know about that, my sister in law stubbed her toe (she lives in florida) and they prescribed her oxycotin yikes!!!

btw she is not on welfare.

When? And what is she doing going to the dr for a stubbed toe?

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 08:00 PM
link   
reply to post by littled16

Miami/ft Lauderdale. And people are still complaining about the pill head problem but I can promise as a first hand witness, the crackdown is extreme. But remember, stigmas last a long time, even when it's not the case anymore.

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 08:02 PM
link   
reply to post by syrinx high priest

Temporary Assistance for Needy Families TANF, also known as cash assistance, requires 30 hours per week of service to receive the benefit.

Caseloads were cut nearly in half. Once individuals were required to work or undertake constructive activities as a condition of receiving aid they left welfare rapidly. Another surprising result was a drop in the child poverty rate.

Source

30 hours is the requirement in my state, it may vary in others.

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 08:03 PM
link   

2 weeks ago, she thought it was broken, she had broken the same toe in the past. ft. myers area, why u wanna go there? lol just kidding

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 08:10 PM
link   
reply to post by daryllyn

txs for that, I had no idea.

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 08:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by MyHappyDogShiner
reply to post by Hopechest

One must consider how much economic activity is generated by consumers who cannot afford to consume without help,the economy would collapse overnight without them .

It's kinda like bailing out an economy that can't survive without the participation of those who would otherwise die.

Things have been wrong for a long time,we need to adopt a different economic model,but those in power benefit from it too much to allow changes to occur that are needed for everyone.

Times do change,but money is a doorstop which keeps doors open that should have closed long ago.

I would say you have a point except that there was a time when there was no welfare, government approved, and the country did just fine. We progressed forward.

The government needs to get out of the daily lives of individuals, this is where the majority of our problems are coming from, they are there to deal with security to our nation and interactions in the global community. Helping people for making poor decisions is not a task I can find anywhere in the Constitution.

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 08:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hopechest

Originally posted by MyHappyDogShiner

One must consider how much economic activity is generated by consumers who cannot afford to consume without help,the economy would collapse overnight without them .

It's kinda like bailing out an economy that can't survive without the participation of those who would otherwise die.

Things have been wrong for a long time,we need to adopt a different economic model,but those in power benefit from it too much to allow changes to occur that are needed for everyone.

Times do change,but money is a doorstop which keeps doors open that should have closed long ago.

I would say you have a point except that there was a time when there was no welfare, government approved, and the country did just fine. We progressed forward.

The government needs to get out of the daily lives of individuals, this is where the majority of our problems are coming from, they are there to deal with security to our nation and interactions in the global community. Helping people for making poor decisions is not a task I can find anywhere in the Constitution.

Oh you mean back in the 1800's and early 1900's? When millions of kids had to dig in the trash at the back of restaurants so they could have at least 1 meal per day?
Or when millions died of the flu because they couldn't receive the most basic medical assistance?

Third world nations rely on charity so their citizens don't starve.

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 08:52 PM
link   
2% or 2,000 people test positive.

i wouldn't exactly call that a flop.

if that same 2% were applied in california, that would be 20,000 people testing positive.

here is a list of the number of recipients by state
# of recipients by state

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 09:02 PM
link   
reply to post by bjax9er

So the state spending millions upon millions on the Governors drug testing company to catch 2, 000 people in the state of Florida seems worth it?

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 09:05 PM
link   

2 weeks ago, she thought it was broken, she had broken the same toe in the past. ft. myers area, why u wanna go there? lol just kidding

I just find it insane that a dr would prescribe opiates for a stubbed toe... While my wife sat in the icu for a month and has lingering pain from major surgery and has a better chance with Street dealers.

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 09:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hopechest

You have to understand that the lowest level of the poverty line in america was far lower then than it is now. People died on the streets back then. And even without 'welfare' per se, people still got help, from churches, shelters, community (which is a bigger issue right now than welfare-the lack of 'community').

You have to make a choice-do you want welfare, or do you want a lower poverty level in america? Do you want to help people, or do you want them dying in the gutter?

There is some major reform that needs to happen as far as welfare goes, but doing away with it all together? We are better than that as a society.

...Well, at least we should be.
edit on 3-3-2013 by captaintyinknots because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 09:08 PM
link   

You mean 100 years ago when families were having 10+ children and by the ones that survived to 8 were already engrossed in child labor just to keep the family farm surviving?

Why don't you move to a 3rd world nation with no welfare, no child labor laws, where they still dance around fires to cure polio, and stay the hell out of my country that has progressed in the last 100 years.

You seem to want that style of world, so please, by all means, stop trying to revert America to that and just go on your jolly way to a country that already lives that way.

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 09:09 PM
link   

Try $110,000,000 spent on the program, all for a savings of $200,000

Second.

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 09:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Evil_Santa

Try $110,000,000 spent on the program, all for a savings of $200,000

Second.

Point proven further. Thank you. Lol.

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 09:52 PM
link   

Would you like to know the real reason for the U.S. needing so much welfare? I get a feeling you wont like it.

Corporations.

There, I said it and I'm not sorry if I hurt anyone's feelings because the truth is the truth no matter how much it hurts.

Go ahead, tell me I'm wrong. BUT be sure to provide some unbiased proof to back up your claims if you attempt to do so.

How about we attempt to fix the real problem first and then worry about significantly lowering welfare. Remove corporate power! Foodstamps would be considered a form of welfare to many and there are more families working full time that receive foodstamps than there are "lazy scum who don't wanna work." Place like Walmart and all of the fast food franchises for instance... The people who work there are trying to earn a living but the pay they receive does not provide them with the ability to sufficiently feed their family.

Now now... I know what you're thinkin'. "If they can't afford to survive with that job then they should get another job!" BUT I know that you aren't that stupid. Those places have nearly all but made it impossible for many, even people with college educations, to find a job that does pay enough because they have driven out most opportunities for other businesses. You know it isn't as simple as just going to work somewhere else. If it were that simple than many people wouldn't be working in those hell holes.

See.. corporations are the problem. Not only do they get more welfare from the government than the poor people BUT they make it so that we need to feed people who are working full time jobs for crying out loud.

Fix that problem then we can worry about the welfare to the poor. Somethin' tells me it wouldn't be needed anywhere near as much as is current.

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 09:56 PM
link   

millions upon millions?
according to the liberal rag aclu.org
no actually it cost the state $45,000.
4,086 "new" applicants were tested

108 tested positive.

however,

There are also the administrative costs, staff costs, and, of course, the litigation costs.

which i can't find any numbers on.
so feel free to search yourself.

furthermore,

Furthermore, the testing program didn't deter individuals from applying for help — an internal document about TANF caseloads revealed that, at least from July through September, the policy did not lead to fewer cases.

so new applicants should be tested, just like any pre-employment drug test.

if they can't pass the test, what makes you think they can pass the pre-employment test?

if supplementing their income, with taxpayers labor, until they get a job is the goal, why not test them?

and the only reason it "might" cost millions, is because of the slave owners claiming civil rights abuses. and lawsuit after lawsuit will be clogging up the courts for the next several years.

since when is it a civil right to steal ones labor?

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 10:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by bknapple32

I just find it insane that a dr would prescribe opiates for a stubbed toe... While my wife sat in the icu for a month and has lingering pain from major surgery and has a better chance with Street dealers.

thats what we were all thinking? wtf? oxycotin for a stubbed toe? geez what do they prescribe for a broken foot? a morphine drip? lol

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join