It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is God a Violent being?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 12:59 PM
link   
reply to post by abeverage

I am failing to grasp the point you are attempting to get across...

sorry but could you be a bit more specific.

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 01:02 PM
link   
reply to post by WhoKnows100

Right, but again my point is missed.

I understand full well why lions are the way they are: to kill their prey.

but what I was asking is why the lion needed to be made that way in the first place.

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 01:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Cuervo

thank you for the reply, as you are one of the only posters to actually form a coherent response regarding my original post.

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by CagliostroTheGreat

I am failing to grasp the point you are attempting to get across...

sorry but could you be a bit more specific.

It was directed statement. Do you like it when something comes in a destroys what you have worked hard to make. Let me give you and example. You build a build a bird house because you love birds and a cat destroys it and kills the birds. Does that make you angry?

I am curious as it does piss me off to work hard on something only to have it destroyed. Perhaps God is like this?

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 01:43 PM
link   

okay, well of course I would be upset if someone destroyed something I had worked hard to create.

though I still don't see how this is in any way relevant to my original question aside from the fact that god was mentioned.

your reply, while appreciated, offers no insight as to whether god is violent or not.
edit on 7-3-2013 by CagliostroTheGreat because: error

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 02:27 PM
link   

okay, well of course I would be upset if someone destroyed something I had worked hard to create.

though I still don't see how this is in any way relevant to my original question aside from the fact that god was mentioned.

your reply, while appreciated, offers no insight as to whether god is violent or not.
edit on 7-3-2013 by CagliostroTheGreat because: error

I am trying to get us to another point of the conversation and do some critical thinking. Asking those questions draws out your notions and perceptions.

Let me ask another question...
Have you met or had any conversations with Plants? Plants take their life force from photosynthesis or convert the energy of the sun into sugars and starches for their own life. But they do not take violently from the sun. As they seem to be the least violent of life on the planet (well besides Venus flytraps/Pitcher plants). Yet they express no advanced intelligence at least none we can perceive...Have you met any smart Carrots?

You are trying to ask the nature of God and coming from the assumption that Death is violence. When perhaps that is just the nature of things. Energy is converted into other forms by all life through killing or absorbing or draining life (unless you look at my plant example).

You take it as being violent, but is a mushroom violent as it takes life from decay? We perceive an act of an animal (my cat example) destroying and eating the birds as violent, but the cat does not perceive it this way. It is only as a way of gaining sustenance for a more intelligent creature.

We know because of empathy that this process can be painful also through our senses. When we take a carrot out of the ground and eat it is that a violent process? And perhaps only with higher forms of life more complex nutrients must be provided, think about the animals on the food chain. The more intelligent are at the apex the least intelligent carrots and grass are at the antapex.

Now as in your universe you have the Ultimate power cosmic at your fingertips. Tell me how you would create life to not have to in your words use of violence, yet grow, evolve and live?
edit on 7-3-2013 by abeverage because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 02:36 PM
link   

while I thank you for a more constructive post, I still feel like you are missing the point.

we all know and understand how nature and the foodchain work, thats not the issue here.

I am interested in discussing why, if god is such an omnipotent being, did it decide to make life the way it is on this plane of reality? why, if it was so powerful did it not just create things to operate at a less violent level?
I just don't understand why god an allegedly loving creator would choose to create such a violent world.

It seems, to me, impossible to imagine myself creating a world in which there was no violence or any world for that matter.

I simply don't have access to that type of information.

I could just say: well, if I was god, I would just have all living things on the planet create their own nutritional sustenance through the materialization of large bowls of Kraft macaroni and cheese, but I don't know that even god itself has those kinds of powers.

A silly answer for an equally silly question.

edit on 7-3-2013 by CagliostroTheGreat because: to add

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 03:32 PM
link   

I am interested in discussing why, if god is such an omnipotent being, did it decide to make life the way it is on this plane of reality? why, if it was so powerful did it not just create things to operate at a less violent level?
I just don't understand why god an allegedly loving creator would choose to create such a violent world.

edit on 7-3-2013 by CagliostroTheGreat because: to add

How can you understand Peace and Love without Violence and Hate?

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 03:37 PM
link   

why does there have to be peace and love? why not simply have a lack of violence? if there were no violence there would be no love?

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 04:06 PM
link   
I dont think God is what we might call " good" its not as if he gives everyone a great life.. lol

And also he doesnt or she what ever the case may be doesnt sustain anything.

Life is endless torture, isnt it? lol Or am I the only one here feeling like a slowly crushed ant.

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 04:12 PM
link   

why does there have to be peace and love? why not simply have a lack of violence? if there were no violence there would be no love?

Perhaps to know creation and the act of creating you need to understand these things. The bigger question would be do you see God as being violent?

Do I think God is violent No...is there a God written about that is...Yes!

To me it breaks down to this...In order to have a car work I need to burn gas that process is a violent process a contained chemical explosion that drive the pistons that turn the shaft...etc to make the Car go.

Perhaps to get where we are going mentally or spiritually we have to experience and understand this dichotomy of good and evil.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join