It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is God a Violent being?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 02:27 PM
link   
We all know that most, if not all, forms of organized religion, particularly the monotheists, claim that their god created the world (Earth) and all of the creatures that dwell upon the planet. Please, correct me if I am wrong and most of this short thread will be invalid.

Assuming, however, that I am correct, one question has always stood out in my mind, tossing and turning and wondering.

I have always wondered, if God is such a loving and caring entity and it did indeed create all life on planet Earth then why, I implore you, is the basis of all survival based on violence?

All one must do to verify my position is take a look at nature. Most living things need to kill another living thing in order to survive. Why, if god is so good, did he decide to create a world in which the primary means of survival lie in one creatures ability to revoke the life of another?

I simply do not understand.

If i were a benevolent all loving omnipotent God going around the cosmos raising worlds and creating creatures, I like to think that I would be able to (in my omnipotence) create creatures that did not need to kill one another to survive on world that I had created just for them. At the very least I would make them all herbivores, though plants are living creatures as well.

It just seems to me that there should be no reason for the violence if you are so all powerful certainly you could find another way, right?

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 02:42 PM
link   
reply to post by CagliostroTheGreat

Why, if god is so good, did he decide to create a world in which the primary means of survival lie in one creatures ability to revoke the life of another?

Thing is if you know the difference (that killing is "bad") then its your responsibility to not behave that way. To set an example or be the difference? I have never had to kill any one to survive. The big test of course is will I remain that way even if others are killing me?

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 02:49 PM
link   

My analogy for God: God is like a huge mountain; standing around the base of the mountain (forming a circle around the mountain) are people from every race and country on planet earth; holding hands and they are all looking up; at the same mountain.

There are really good people on this earth that try very hard to help, heal, forgive and love humanity.

Then there are truly evil people (who are good actors) some of them are very, very good at deceiving people into thinking they are good; but they are not; they are truly evil and it is there pleasure in life to destroy all the goodness in life that they can.

Then there are people who are somewhere in-between the above 2 groups mentioned; which way will they eventually go in life...goodness or badness? Their choice.

Some believe that this realm we are in right now; is one of the levels of hell; some will work their way out and go to heaven; others never will and will keep reincarnating back to earth over and over again.

I believe TPTB in heaven do have righteous anger from time to time; but I also believe there is a lot of mercy and forgiveness from them too.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 02:51 PM
link   

I have always wondered, if God is such a loving and caring entity and it did indeed create all life on planet Earth then why, I implore you, is the basis of all survival based on violence?

who ever said that the basis of all survival is based on violence? I have always assumed that survival, for the purpose of food, was based on sacrificial love.
edit on 1-3-2013 by Theophorus because: (no reason given)

edit on 1-3-2013 by Theophorus because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 02:53 PM
link   

God is not violent!!

Your arguement is an opinion......God didn't put us here to survive and prosper from violence.....That is the nature of a human, and what came from greed.....

If there was no money ever, there would be MUCH less violence.....Greed has fueled the fire of violence since things were deemed worth money....

It's sad to see that humanity should be living a great life......God put us here to enjoy living, enjoy his creation, enjoy each other, enjoy all of what life has to offer.....Yet with money, we are forced to be slaves to work 24/7 just to pay bills with money that is really just made up and worth nothing in a reality....

It is sad to see God's beautiful creations fight and kill each other every day in the name of money and greed.....

I feel like we as humans have let down God now more than ever.......People struggling just to live their life which is supposed to be a blessing is very sad......I wish there was something we could do to save humanity and help the needy.....But without the greatest evil the world has ever seen (money) this can't be accomplished sadly enough....

I pray every day for God to forgive us of this world we live in.....It is supposed to be much different than this

Luckily I am blessed to have a fantastic wife, a beautiful healthy baby daughter and both of us have good jobs that pay pretty well.....I wish people would get together and make an attempt to better this place for all of us....

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 02:55 PM
link   
I think so. When you look at the atrocities committed by Old Testament God there is no way you can say he is good.

Made a planet then sterilized it killing countless billions of organisms.

Genocidal campaigns against Israel's enemies. Kill the men, women, children, and all the cattle, but spare the virgin women so they can be raped.

Slavery is ok.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 02:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Chrisfishenstein

God is not violent!!

Oh, no.

He just brought about plagues on people/races he didn't like, played mind games with Abraham and Job, and commanded genocide (every man woman, child, and even tree) on those he didn't like.

Supported fathers selling their young virgin daughters to strangers to provide "hospitality".

Not violent? The bible says he supposedly destroyed Sodom and Gomorrah and created the "giant flood" to kill everything but the animals and just a few people.

Not violent?

edit on 3/1/2013 by Chamberf=6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Don't you ever get a even a little pissed off when someone comes along and wrecks anything you built or own?

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by CagliostroTheGreat
We all know that most, if not all, forms of organized religion, particularly the monotheists, claim that their god created the world (Earth) and all of the creatures that dwell upon the planet. Please, correct me if I am wrong and most of this short thread will be invalid.

Assuming, however, that I am correct, one question has always stood out in my mind, tossing and turning and wondering.

All one must do to verify my position is take a look at nature. Most living things need to kill another living thing in order to survive. Why, if god is so good, did he decide to create a world in which the primary means of survival lie in one creatures ability to revoke the life of another?

I simply do not understand.

If i were a benevolent all loving omnipotent God going around the cosmos raising worlds and creating creatures, I like to think that I would be able to (in my omnipotence) create creatures that did not need to kill one another to survive on world that I had created just for them. At the very least I would make them all herbivores, though plants are living creatures as well.

It just seems to me that there should be no reason for the violence if you are so all powerful certainly you could find another way, right?

Why stop there?

Why not give all creations the ability to think for themselves (and reap what they sow)...and give them eternity to figure the details out, and allow them the freedom to determine the circumstances under which this happens, and exercise no procedural judgement (except in certain circumstances) on said creations...

A99

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 03:53 PM
link   
A lot of you seem to be missing the point the OP made...

To survive you must kill. You're an omnivore? Animals and plants died for you to live. You're a vegetarian? Plants died for you. You're a fruitarian? That's a lot of plant abortions you're committing to sustain yourself.

Life does not exist without taking it from other sources and concentrating it.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 04:13 PM
link   

God is.

The exoteric concept of God as a being among beings has its place, but eventually concepts must be transcended in favor of the cloud of unknowing.

So rather than say God is a being, I would say that God is the ground of being itself. But that too is a concept so I'll just shut up now.

Carry on.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 04:45 PM
link   
I doubt God is even remotely like any religion has ever described. How can anyone from any culture possibly conceptualize God? Given the unknown infinite size of the universe or universes, we are nothing but another pebble in the sand. Infinitesimal!!!!!!!

P.S. I don't think God is evil. Humans are more than capable of committing heinous crimes against one another without God's intervention.
edit on 1-3-2013 by SinMaker because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 04:56 PM
link   

The fact that the being would even call himself a "God" is a red flag that he may be a spirit with ego demanding worship. Do not fall for false gods. A real god will empower not take your power away from you and tell you to give him energy through worship.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 04:59 PM
link   
It seems that you are defining violence as a lion who eats an antelope or, equally, a man who kills another man. I see a huge difference and would not call the former violence. A lion, with it's talons and huge meat tearing teeth was designed to keep the populations of other species under control. Without the animal predators, as seen by the elimination of wolves in some areas, the normally eaten prey balloon in size and man must step in to do the culling.

We have a horrible habit of denying the very proof of a Creator right in front of our face, even in a simple thread such as this one. Those predators and prey are a finely tuned creation working in harmony. See IT instead of your own beliefs that a lion eating an antelope is somehow "violence" because it's preventing you from seeing His Creation and thus Him as CREATOR. Your personal definition of this as "violence" transfers to your opinion of Him. but yet it's in your head not His. I may cringe when I see a documentary of a lion eating a baby antelope, but I know why that lion was created as it was. Remove those lions and what happens to the antelope herds? They don't live in bliss for too long as their herds swell and the next drought kills all thoses extra survivors.

It's the death that you should be focusing on, and why there is death in this world.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 05:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Foundryman
I think so. When you look at the atrocities committed by Old Testament God there is no way you can say he is good.

Made a planet then sterilized it killing countless billions of organisms.

Genocidal campaigns against Israel's enemies. Kill the men, women, children, and all the cattle, but spare the virgin women so they can be raped.

Slavery is ok.

That is just humans attributing everything to God. When the ancient Jews won the battle, they said it was because they pleased God. When they were killed in battle or an earthquake or by diseases, they said God was angry. I don't believe God interferes with us - He is just waiting for us to re-join Him in eternity. Mortal life is just an experience. We call it good or evil, but really it's just an experience. God doesn't "control" any of it...He just created it.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 05:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chamberf=6
reply to post by Chrisfishenstein

God is not violent!!

Oh, no.

He just brought about plagues on people/races he didn't like, played mind games with Abraham and Job, and commanded genocide (every man woman, child, and even tree) on those he didn't like.

Supported fathers selling their young virgin daughters to strangers to provide "hospitality".

Not violent? The bible says he supposedly destroyed Sodom and Gomorrah and created the "giant flood" to kill everything but the animals and just a few people.

Not violent?

edit on 3/1/2013 by Chamberf=6 because: (no reason given)

No - humans said that and attributed it to God. The Old Testament is a human viewpoint of history attributing everything to God.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 05:11 PM
link   
God is the supreme creator of all things, entire universes and whatever manifestations within, ie, mere humans.

Violent is especially of America.at this millenium in human history.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 05:29 PM
link   
reply to post by KamaSutra

The question wasn't "What is god?" the question was "Is god violent" and if God is the creator of all things including nature and satan - then YES god is indeed violent.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 05:33 PM
link   
reply to post by KamaSutra

Violent is especially of America.at this millenium in human history.

Really? The whole last thousand years?

In that time what about what happened in Europe, Asia, South America, and Africa, and Russia??????????

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 05:35 PM
link   
reply to post by tallcool1

No - humans said that and attributed it to God. The Old Testament is a human viewpoint of history attributing everything to God.

(I'm agnostic)... But don't go and tell that to a Jew, Christian, or Muslim.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join