It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sinkhole Swallows Man In Bedroom

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 03:24 AM
link   
I cannot believe that they have decided to end the effort.

Everything points to a society that is unwilling to spend money to retrieve the body - which, as history has proven, may still be well alive. Money is spent every day for mining, digging, drilling, roads, and apparently, even gigantic, underground bases and tunnel systems from what I've learned here.

Consider the trapped miners not too long ago. Consider how much trouble and money was spent on finding one man to kill in the Middle East.
The hole is about 60 feet deep from what I'm reading. There's ways to support men doing the work to keep them safe. Maybe they could use some, I don't know, basic SCAFFOLDING? Since this began, it has appeared that the officials have just been hem-hawing about the event and the safety and blatantly indifferent to the whole situation. Would you allow this if it were your family or friend down there? This story would be completely different if it was a pretty woman/young girl or !gasp! a celebrity/politician of some kind.

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 04:45 AM
link   
What a shocking and horriffic way to die. Who would think something like that would happen. I feel bad for the family. It would appear it should be on A 1000 Ways to Die.

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 05:06 AM
link   
reply to post by caladonea

I feel for the brother lost in the hole, I feel even more for the surviving brother. The guilt (although he should feel none) for not being able to save him must be horrible. I pray for them and a speedy recovery although one doesn't recover fully from losing a loved one.

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 06:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by defcon5

Originally posted by KamaSutra
Where in Florida? I'm from Florida visiting out of state right now. Florida is big, its weird the OP doesn't say where yet.

Brandon/Valrico...

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
I have a stupid question...but don't these things take some time to develop below the surface?

You can have your land checked for this, but its not cheap, and unless you have the proper insurance its VERY expensive to fix. Of course, if you find one, you're stuck with the land until its corrected. There are also a lot of scam artists in the business, who will ALWAYS manage to find a sinkhole on your land if you hire them to check it.

It can happen pretty quickly. The ground is not always solid under you as you think of it. Especially in Florida were we sit on aquifer. That aquifer is sort of like a big layer of lava rock, with all these pockets in it that are normally filled with water. When the water table gets low leaving the aquifer empty, or erosion tunnels through the subsurface layers, you're left with empty voids. When the ceiling of that void gives out, you get a sinkhole. Usually there is some notice of the land starting to sink, but not always, they can basically just drop out with no notice at all.

Perhaps the owner could sue the council or body responsible for allowing mass use of the ground water / draining of the water table.

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 07:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by PaperbackWriter
reply to post by citizenoftheworld

I saw this story on my semi-local news. It struck me as fake. See those cardboarded windows and the
orange notation in the window? I think this place was already set for demolition.

Then I went to look for the people. Jeremy Bush lived at 240 FAITHWAY, but no evidence of a Jeffrey Bush.
Not there, not anywhere else in Seffner. I saw several possible obituaries for a Jeffrey Bush on Archives.com
but I'm not a member to suss that out to be sure.

I had similar thoughts at first but since reading more about sinkholes it all seems legit to me, though a few things stood out for me - The notices you also noticed, they are not on the google street view photos from late 2011 (means nothing) and they could just be beware of the dog signs but I agree there is something there which to me looks like a red letter which possible could be an eviction or repossession notice.
another thing was the reports

Using radar, engineers determined the sinkhole is about 100 feet in diameter, but it is not visible above ground except from inside the house. The ground covering the massive cavity is mostly intact, but it could buckle, taking the entire house down with it -- as well as neighboring homes.
- Link

yet people are walking around nonchalantly.

As for the guy who lost his life he may have just been visiting, holiday, break from the wife/Gf. He could live anywhere, If he does indeed live there maybe it's a recent thing.

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 08:10 AM
link   
There are sinks all over Florida. More concentrated around the Disney area and large cities like the Tampa metro area. This would lend to it being cavities from water table and aquifers being drained.
So I wasn't saying that's fake.
Look at the Google maps of the backyard to this house and the ones on the street parallel. Both streets backyards are backed up to a depression which looks like it fills with water and forms a lake when it's rainy.

Apparently, I am one of the few people who has seen video of the hole and the "caved in bedroom section".
It's from an "L" just like the one in the front of the house. But, the roof was mostly still above the hole.
What it looked like to me was that they started demolishing the house and it collapsed. If the hole were really 50 or 60 feet deep as claimed, then a house who's roof is what, about 15feet high from the ground, would not be visible sticking up above the hole, would it?

But, the permits on the front window are the giveaway, to me. This would have been there the day of collapse.
One looks like an eviction notice and one looks like it had a derelict property notice where they come along and
knock them down. Then couple that with the windows being covered in cardboard on the inside.
Doesn't look very homey.

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 09:22 AM
link   
reply to post by PaperbackWriter

This is super zoomed in, any higher resolution pics would be ana advantage haha.

Look like notices to me too.

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 09:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Taggart

These are not the usual white "this property has been been found empty and winterized" notice? Those started showing up after the realtor "for sale" signs came down.

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 09:44 AM
link   
Good job, Taggart. We can almost read the This Property Has Been Condemned...

It's like a combo of insurance scam or media hoax to get revenue and bump viewership.
I point out all the time on forums how you have to beware of local news and major msm
because they are all about the fake stories.
I try to gauge how sheepish the reporter looks when he's standing out front of these stories.

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 10:15 AM
link   
reply to post by PaperbackWriter

There is still a chance that one of the agency's dealing with this put up them notices, not concrete but

Another sinkhole, notice the red notice on the garage, the text is a different colour but still.

No high resolution pictures from outside at ALL! all 600 x 400pixels and from far enough away you can't read the notices. Ah well, I'll follow this anyway.

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 11:15 AM
link   
reply to post by AshleyD
[mI
I was basing my comment on reports I had seen at the time.It's now my understanding that the hole has enlarged some.As of this morning I see that the house has been demolished over the hole.Seems to me to be a kneejerk reaction,but I suppose they have public safety in mind.That said,I don't see how demolishing the house is gonna change anything.Perhaps it was done to keep looky-loo's out.

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Poor guy,I hope he makes it out.
I've had nightmares about this same scenario of being trapped underground with no way out.
I get the creeps just thinking about it,and I have to say I don't scare easily.
Nope not the way I wish to leave this world.

I'll say a prayer for him and family and hope for the best for them.

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by TWILITE22

Poor guy,I hope he makes it out.
I've had nightmares about this same scenario of being trapped underground with no way out.
I get the creeps just thinking about it,and I have to say I don't scare easily.
Nope not the way I wish to leave this world.

I'll say a prayer for him and family and hope for the best for them.

Unfortunately I seriously doubt that he is still alive; and will make it out of that sink hole. I think this story has disturbed many; particularly those that live in areas where sinkholes are prevalent.

I am glad many are praying for him and his family; it does help.

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Auricom

I feel for the brother lost in the hole, I feel even more for the surviving brother. The guilt (although he should feel none) for not being able to save him must be horrible. I pray for them and a speedy recovery although one doesn't recover fully from losing a loved one.

The surviving brother I think did do all he could to save his brother; however I also think that it will take some time to release himself from guilt; that he should not have. I do agree with you; one never does fully recover from losing a loved one; a person learns how to live with the mourning and grief. I find it helps me to think about all the goodness that person brought to my life; I believe that love is eternal.

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 11:46 AM
link   
At least they found the pink teddy bear.

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 10:16 PM
link   
The notices (signs) on the house were put there as notification of a condemned building due to the sinkhole. They do that on all buildings that are condemned due to sinkholes. No conspiracy there.

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 10:56 PM
link   
I hope a diagram or a detalied description of what actually happened is released. I cannot picture how this man was unabled to be rescued...

The walls and roof seem to be standing and it was a one story home without a concrete foundation. How much debris could there have been?

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by drock905
I hope a diagram or a detalied description of what actually happened is released. I cannot picture how this man was unabled to be rescued...

The pink teddy was guarding the sinkhole making effecting a rescue impossible.

www.cnn.com...

A woman wept as an official handed her a framed portrait. Others lovingly salvaged military awards, a pink teddy bear

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 11:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by drock905

The walls and roof seem to be standing and it was a one story home without a concrete foundation. How much debris could there have been?

Sounds more like a blackhole for all that it engulfed...just very particular as to what it wanted, although I don't think the damage is over yet. This is a nightmare scenario that most of us would never give a thought to. Will these become more common because of manmade interference, or just an upswing in natural occurence?

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 04:00 AM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Originally posted by Tomylong
I would like to know why the floor joist gave way. Wouldn't the floor joist keep the bed from falling into the hole? Plus, if the floor joist did give way, what the hell is holding up that part of the house and why doesn't it show signs of falling in on itself? If no floor joist and on concrete alone then wouldn't the house show physical signs of caving in considering their is no longer a floor to hold up the retaining walls?

They don't build houses like that in Florida, as we don't have basements there are no “joists”. The houses in this area are monolithic slab foundations.

It is a well known scam that the contractors will put in re-bar prior to pouring the slab, pass their inspection, then take some (if not all) of it back out prior to pouring the concrete. They then put that same re-bar in the next house for inspection, rinse and repeat.

I saw this story on my semi-local news. It struck me as fake.

I've been there in person, its quite real.
There is no conspiracy here, just nature and poor construction.
Zillow does not update its pictures with any frequency. Roofs here get mildew stained, and you are lucky if you can get 20 years out of one before you have to replace it.

There are sinks all over Florida. More concentrated around the Disney area and large cities like the Tampa metro area. This would lend to it being cavities from water table and aquifers being drained.
So I wasn't saying that's fake.

Actually they are most concentrated in Hillsborough, Pinellas, and Pasco county.
Are Sinkholes Near Me?

BTW...
Another one just opened up within a few miles of this one.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join