It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sinkhole Swallows Man In Bedroom

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 10:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Klassified

Now I don't know if you want to split hairs over saving human life and saving property/mitigating loss etc.. but I am sure a profit model coudl be made out of using those satellites, not to mention the real world, results with proof, type of training the folks operating them would get out of it.
I see a sub-surface scan taking place and if something "unusual" shows up, the homeowners insurance (sinkhole insurance just like the fema flood, would be required, right? $) would pay a contracted sinkhole evaluation company ($) for their help in determining insured's property risk. Maybe insurance would then give the owers 30-day notice to move their house or policy cancellation will be effected. Insurance no longer covers the "know sinkhole" for further damages saving the insurance company money, they've alerted the humans about their dangerous situation and then only the folks that had sinkhole insurance and no prior knowledge of a sinkhole would be able to cash in on a loss. The gov't would collect a small fee like an X-ray fee ($100 or so) from every homeowner or their insurance company once or twice a year when the satellite does the scan.

So, yes there is a profit model, not exactly geared toward saving humans as it is for generating cash but never say never.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 10:16 AM
link   
SnF

Just seen this on the news. Reminds me of emergence day from the Gears of War series.

Seriously tho, why is this happening? Thats some bad luck as well...

Now that someone is dead i wonder if this will get more attention...
edit on 1-3-2013 by AnonLover because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 10:27 AM
link   
reply to post by evc1shop

You should write this up, and send it in as a proposal.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 10:31 AM
link   
In the -comments- section under this article here,
www2.tbo.com...://tbo.ly/XeJ6 O4

This from Denelle

Yep. Good work fl lawmakers. It's not a sinkhole that the insurance company needs to stabilize until this happens. Open your eyes my neighbors. I guarantee you this house had cracking and signs of sinkhole activity but no way to stabilize the ground because our elected officials with the insurance companies in their back pocket decided this is a made up problem created by greedy homeowners seeking a quick payday.

And more importantly, this from Virginia

I had a house in that area that developed cracks in one of the walls that were so wide daylight showed through them. My HO insurance company -- Auto Owners -- fought my claim for 3 years! The ins. co. finally settled for the full value of the home after I retained an attorney and did my own geologic survey. Both the atty's fee and the cost of the study (about $47 k combined) came out of the settlement amount. I don't begrudge the attys and the geologists one dime -- if I hadn't hired them I wouldn't have gotten a thing from the ins co -- but am still furious that the ins co made me go through all that angst for 3 years when it was *obvious* there was a sinkhole there. The wall with the cracks subsequently collapsed after I had moved.

Insurance companies and politicians, off with their heads, the whole den-of-vipers lot of them.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by KamaSutra
Where in Florida? I'm from Florida visiting out of state right now. Florida is big, its weird the OP doesn't say where yet.

Brandon/Valrico...

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
I have a stupid question...but don't these things take some time to develop below the surface?

You can have your land checked for this, but its not cheap, and unless you have the proper insurance its VERY expensive to fix. Of course, if you find one, you're stuck with the land until its corrected. There are also a lot of scam artists in the business, who will ALWAYS manage to find a sinkhole on your land if you hire them to check it.

It can happen pretty quickly. The ground is not always solid under you as you think of it. Especially in Florida were we sit on aquifer. That aquifer is sort of like a big layer of lava rock, with all these pockets in it that are normally filled with water. When the water table gets low leaving the aquifer empty, or erosion tunnels through the subsurface layers, you're left with empty voids. When the ceiling of that void gives out, you get a sinkhole. Usually there is some notice of the land starting to sink, but not always, they can basically just drop out with no notice at all.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Conspiracy Theorist in me wants to say this.

Hillsborough County FL is where the Baptist minister who tried Muhammod and found him guilty, as well as burned the Koran AND was blamed as a producer of the film which was falsely blamed for the 9/11 Benghazi terrorist attack in Libya, practices his ministry.... interresting location syncrosity.

This occured to the "Bush" family, is this branch of the Bush family related to the President Bush family tree (Jed is the governor or FL)... interresting individual syncrosity.

There is a story in scripture in which Korah (of the tribe of Judah) attempts to usurp control of the congregation of Israel from Moses, in doing so; as punishment God opened up a giant sinkhole which swallowed up Korah's home and family. There are many CT out there indicating the Bush's are of Jewish decsent of the royal line of the Brittish Kings... interresting dual fulfillment syncrosity

I find the account in scripture recorded to have be executed on a Judite, and this event occuring to one that may also be from that same tribe, in a county where many interresting conflicts have generated from to be something purhaps worthy of further investigation. Then again it could just be a random sinkhole event in a place known for sinkhole activity.

God Bless,

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 12:28 PM
link   
reply to post by defcon5

To add credence to the above post...

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 01:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Klassified

And after the Insurance companies and gov't hop onboard with it, I will end up here on ATS listening to folks say what a money-making conspiracy the feds and insurace have come up with... No, I'm already not very happy that I have to pay for FEMA flood insurance on a house built in 1890 that is near a river in WA state. The house is in a 500yr flood zone but since my neighbors nearby are all at more risk, I get lumped into the higher premium, mandatory insurance.

I would not propose another one of those kind of mandatory add-ons as I find it ridiculous that it costs more to park my house than it does to insure the car I drive... I have certainly never heard of a house causing a hit & run

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 02:03 PM
link   
I feel bad for this guy, and his brother. Must have been a horrible way to go.

Apparently, Weathered Limestone was the culprit. ~$heopleNation
edit on 1-3-2013 by SheopleNation because: TypO

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by SheopleNation
I feel bad for this guy, and his brother. Must have been a horrible way to go.

Apparently, Weathered Limestone was the culprit. ~$heopleNation

I have been thinking today about the purpose of all of this. Some of the good that can come out of all of this is...that this young man dying because of an unforeseen sinkhole below his bedroom; perhaps many with power and influence will pay attention and technology will be used and/or developed to be able to foresee the very beginning of these sinkholes; and thus being able to rescue people before anything happens. I am thinking that this young man's death has a very important purpose...to wake people up about this situation. I understand that sinkholes happen a lot; which until today; I myself was not very aware of.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 02:45 PM
link   
The devil always claims his own. You cannot run and hide when it is time to pay up.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 02:48 PM
link   
I dont understand why their are 2 post about the same topic and why they are both on the new topic page.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Infi8nity
I dont understand why their are 2 post about the same topic and why they are both on the new topic page.

If you look at the timeline...I created this thread first...then the other thread was created 4 minutes later.

I guess while we both were typing and sending...the 2 threads sort of crossed over each other and the mods must have decided to keep both.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by groingrinder
The devil always claims his own. You cannot run and hide when it is time to pay up.

What makes you think it was the devil?

The young man in question could very well have gone to Heaven.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 04:39 PM
link   
reply to post by caladonea

Yeah hopefully something good does come out of it, but I fear nothing will be done because once they admit that there is a serious problem, it will leave them or the developers liable.

If I am not mistaken though, most of these sink holes happen in lower class areas. In Florida, probably former swamp land. See, Prior to a really nice development being started, they spend the money to survey the soil beneath that land to make damn sure that they don't face a lawsuit down the road from all the home owners. It's all about protecting their own ass. ~$heopleNation

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 04:54 PM
link   

You think this man has been a naughty then....

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Yeah, I am sure that makes his brother who tried to save him feel really good inside. Shakes head. ~$heopleNation

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 06:29 PM
link   
This is freaky for me because just the day before yesterday I found out that my sister's house in Tampa is showing major cracking in the foundation and has a depressed area in her back yard. Until I heard this story I didn't know it was a sinkhole. Sounds like they are going to have to go through foreclosure on the house they bought about 18 years ago. Sucks for them and their neighbours whose property value just nose dived, too.

Sinkhole insurance in hard to get in the Tampa area and fixing the problem by pumping concrete into it is quite expensive, unless $100,000 range is chicken feed to you.

Having Trouble Getting Sinkhole Insurance in Tampa Bay?
www.tampahomes24-7.com...

One of the comments made about this article:

Nowadays, sinkhole coverage is "offered", but denied on a policy. As stated, "a crack in the driveway" is all it takes. The only homes anywhere in the USA that don't have a crack in the driveway are brand new homes with driveways poured last week. You can find a crack any a driveway anywhere in the USA, and no recordings of sinkhole coverage anywhere within 1000 miles, yet because of that single crack, they can legally deny coverage. Bottom line, sinkhole coverage is a thing of the past. Nobody can get it. You have to hope that if you get a sinkhole, it swallows up the whole house so it can be condemned. Even then, the insurance company will fight you.

I hope they get out quick.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 06:36 PM
link   
Man who build house on sand is probably going to have to rebuild house

I'm imagine it is the same for sinkhole.

Sad that one could die from it though but there are many ways to die..

There probably millions of houses that are in areas that could collapse at any minute.

Pretty. Scary..

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 07:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by sad_eyed_lady
This is freaky for me because just the day before yesterday I found out that my sister's house in Tampa is showing major cracking in the foundation and has a depressed area in her back yard. Until I heard this story I didn't know it was a sinkhole. Sounds like they are going to have to go through foreclosure on the house they bought about 18 years ago. Sucks for them and their neighbors whose property value just nose dived, too.

I hope and pray your sister and whoever lives with her will always be safe and sound. Really...until today after reading about this story and creating this thread about it; I really new next to nothing about the sinkhole problem; I am getting educated about it today. It is such a serious problem and one that is really upsetting. People should be able to get insurance; I think.

I am wondering what can a person do before they buy or rent a house to check for any sinkhole action? How can one find out if their house was built over sinkholes? Does anyone know?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join