It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sinkhole Swallows Man In Bedroom

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 06:36 AM
link   
I got up this morning and was reading articles (as usual) and I came across this one. A man in his 30's was in his bedroom in the house he lived in; in Florida and a huge sinkhole opened up and swallowed him. His brother tried to save him but was not able to. Also the sinkhole was not man made.

Think about it...a person is at home the one place where you feel safe and secure with your family; and all of a sudden a sinkhole opens up. No one expected this; what a shock and a deep important loss. My heart goes out to him and his family.

Link to story: www.cnn.com...

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 06:42 AM
link   
reply to post by caladonea

I thought someone had created a thread before me; but I was wrong; they created one after me....lol.

edit on 1-3-2013 by caladonea because: cirrection

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 06:42 AM
link   
That is really Scary!

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 06:44 AM
link   
Prayers for that family and especially the brother who tried his best to save him.

If I was a neighbor I would be freaking out. Says that the hole is 100ft across in diameter and can only be seen from inside the house.. That house doesn't look like it's 100 feet.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 06:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by nighthawk1954
That is really Scary!

Yes this story is very scary...I am thinking some people would say; that it was that young man's time to leave this dimension; one has to wonder why.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 06:47 AM
link   
woah, that's scary I read this this morning..Very shocking!! You sleep than wake up falling in a hole under your bed thinking it's just a dream..yet, you don't wake up from your dream to only realize it's actually real..

Very shocking, what's next to come, these past years has been pretty intense, seems things are just getting worse and worse on planet earth!
edit on 1-3-2013 by live2beknown because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 06:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by jam321
Prayers for that family and especially the brother who tried his best to save him.

If I was a neighbor I would be freaking out. Says that the hole is 100ft across in diameter and can only be seen from inside the house.. That house doesn't look like it's 100 feet.

I feel for the family too; it is a tough situation. The whole neighborhood was evacuated; and the sinkhole is not man made; it is an act of nature; so people are going to most likely lose their homes and have to live elsewhere.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 06:51 AM
link   
Link to video of Fox 13 in Tampa bay

Fox 13

edit on 1-3-2013 by citizenoftheworld because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 06:52 AM
link   
reply to post by live2beknown

Yes...I agree there are more and more bizarre events happening on earth all too often; and the list is growing.

I say...keep prayed up!

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 06:52 AM
link   
I have a stupid question...but don't these things take some time to develop below the surface? I mean a hole doesn't just 'appear' out of nowhere. The mass that used to be there had to GO somewhere and that had to take some degree of time.... So my thought is, why can't these be scanned for and at least an effort be made to see them coming? It's getting to be just often enough on these sinkholes in populated areas to be alarming.

Now I know we have Military grade satellites designed and built to scan terrain and locate underground voids or spaces. I.E....shallow bunkers and storage spaces one doesn't want found. Why can't those same satellites be turned to something constructive for a change and scan U.S. civilian areas on a regular schedule? It may only catch a couple that way....but this guy would have called it well worth the effort, I'm sure. We spend billions for the tech to be invented and deployed for the purpose of killing people. Perhaps using it to save people occasionally would be good?

Who knows how much more is there and just hasn't broken the visible surface to create problems yet?

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 06:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000

Now I know we have Military grade satellites designed and built to scan terrain and locate underground voids or spaces. I.E....shallow bunkers and storage spaces one doesn't want found. Why can't those same satellites be turned to something constructive for a change and scan U.S. civilian areas on a regular schedule? It may only catch a couple that way....but this guy would have called it well worth the effort, I'm sure. We spend billions for the tech to be invented and deployed for the purpose of killing people. Perhaps using it to save people occasionally would be good?

Yes...I agree with you. Those same satellites and/or some sort of technology should be used on a regular basis to detect sinkholes areas etc. so people can be notified and saved ahead of time.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 07:09 AM
link   
Some more info.

Map of Sinkhole risk

Since Florida is prone to sinkholes, it is a good place to use to discuss some different types of sinkholes and the geologic and hydrologic processes that form them. The processes of dissolution, where surface rock that are soluble to weak acids, are dissolved, and suffosion, where cavities form below the land surface, are responsible for virtually all sinkholes in Florida.

ga.water.usgs.gov...

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 07:10 AM
link   
......lol no foundation? how do you fall threw a sinkhole in your house, wasn't there a concrete foundation

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 07:15 AM
link   
I would rather be the one who fell in the sinkhole than be the brother who tried to save him. His brother will always have the thoughts that he could have done something more. It would bother me for the rest of my life if I tried to save a family member unsuccessfully. Inner conviction always eats at us.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 07:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by WanderingThe3rd
......lol no foundation? how do you fall threw a sinkhole in your house, wasn't there a concrete foundation

It's an older house in Florida. No concrete foundations.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 07:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by jam321

The hole spreads under ground 100 ft in diameter. The opening into the actual sinkhole is the man's bedroom which sits atop the hole at its center. The story says that they are concerned that the ground will buckle up and the sinkhole will open up and when it does the whole house is going to sink into the hole and then eventually, neighboring homes may get swallowed up as well. Pretty scary stuff. I started the sinkhole watch thread because I knew these sinkholes were happening quite often and less than 2 months later we already have our first casualty of a sinkhole. As far as I know I haven't heard of there being a casualty of a sinkhole, despite vehicles driving into them.
edit on 1-3-2013 by Rezlooper because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 07:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Unfortunately Wrabbit, there is no profit to be made by saving lives. Taking lives is much more lucrative. That's the kind of world we live in.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 07:40 AM
link   
Where in Florida? I'm from Florida visiting out of state right now. Florida is big, its weird the OP doesn't say where yet.

There's sinkholes happening more inland and more central than you may think. Its hard to tell until it happens because wastewater can suddenly luiquify under a house then suddenly find a drain and the ground caves.

Some of these are huge and deep more than you can fathom. I saw this picture on another site, I didnt realize how many there are, doesnt save since when

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 07:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by KamaSutra
Where in Florida? I'm from Florida visiting out of state right now. Florida is big, its weird the OP doesn't say where yet.

]

This happened in the suburban Tampa area; in the article provided it states the location.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 08:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by rickymouse
I would rather be the one who fell in the sinkhole than be the brother who tried to save him. His brother will always have the thoughts that he could have done something more. It would bother me for the rest of my life if I tried to save a family member unsuccessfully. Inner conviction always eats at us.

I would rather be neither; but I think you are right; the brother who tried to save his brother will have much sorrow. I hope he will be able to heal eventually. From what I have read the brother did do all he could do; I just hope he will realize that and be able to forgive himself for not being able to save his brother.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join