It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sequestration will hit Arlington National Cemetery!?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 06:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer
reply to post by seabag

Boss, I have to disagree with you.

I'm not too bright when it comes to economics. That's a given.

But when I can see what is being deliberately done, then you have to ask yourself, if this isn't done stupidly or by accident, then they have to be doing it on purpose.
edit on 28-2-2013 by beezzer because: (no reason given)

I think this is very intentional, just not originally planned to go this way in the end. At least, I don't believe it started this way when the legislation containing this came to be in 2011.

I think this was intentional in that they fully meant to create a penalty package so severe and so extreme on micromanaged hits that each party would feel in different areas, no one would dare let it happen. So, the great debt committee would reach the grand bargain. They didn't of course.

Then the hope was Congress would deal with it, given all the time that still existed to do it when the first try failed. That failed too.

Then we came to election time and the looming "Fiscal Cliff" of which this was one major part. Even I thought they would likely cook some last minute deal to settle this at that point and heading into Jan 1st. Something to pull out of the hat to make their own side look good, whichever did it. That, too...failed.
_____

NOW? I think they DO want this to happen. Both sides. I believe they've each, in their own way, looked at the consequences of this and war gamed the strategies they need (or think they need) to make the other side look worse and come out just a bit better....and a bit better is all that is ever needed anyway. Look at the 'lesser of two evil' elections we get year upon year now.

Specifically, I think Obama sees cuts he could NEVER get any other way for Defense and related things the Democrats have traditionally been hard on and looking to shrink, not grow. On the right, they get cuts across a multitude of other specific subsections of government THEY could never get any other way.
_____

Once, again, wait and see.....Everyone will be to blame, so no one will really be at fault. That's how I expect to see both sides play it, at least until the proper mid-term election cycle has begun ...then we'll see what tricks they cooked up now to use for that. It's all really disgusting to watch in my view. The only real losers in this game are all of us. 330 million of us.

This isn't sausage being made, as one Senator quipped some time back. This is more like the start to finish process of chicken nuggets. Just nothing pretty about it and once you see it, you don't even care to have the end product anymore.

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 07:20 PM
link   
The DoD budget could be reigned in all over the place with absolutely no chance of hurting national security. Don't get me started. The cuts at Arlington are pure theater. The federal budget is obscenely immense. The amount in sequestration is peanuts.

I watched the news today and it was all woe this and woe that. Talk about a friendly media. How much more hokey can this get? The cuts are are all targeted to solicit panic from the masses, not solve squat.

Beyond the kabuki, my question is what is the play call for subsequent downs? The government is broke and we need to privatize everything just to survive? A financially compromised citizen is a compliant citizen? You Constitution lovers are getting a little too uppity, we need to show you who is running the show?

Sorry DC, you screwed over those who protect the nation just to play political games. You are pathetic cowards and malignant to the ideals of the Constitution. Rot in hell.

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 10:24 PM
link   
reply to post by ABNARTY

Funny thing about privatization was that it was supposed to help cut some of the DoD's expenses by 10-30% according to this pdf on the privatization of segments of the defense infrastructure that projected implementations beginning in the late 90's. Biggest problem with privatization is that it also offers up opportunities for possible abuse and back scratching. Couldn't have happened there, could it?

Travel/housing privatization doc (because we know that the housing market did swimmingly in the years up til 2007): www.dtic.mil...

Trammell Crow apparently bought at least the army part up in a joint venture with LL Actus: www.govexec.com...

Trammell Crow, the man and developer: www.dallasobserver.com...

I wonder if the Crow family took the Army guys out camping or if they just did their routine of campaign donations to the right people and loans like in California: www.ocweekly.com...

Utilities privatization including energy (cached since this one was apparently removed): webcache.googleusercontent.com...:65VzVhkktzoJ:www.yuma.usmc.mil/information/utility.html+&cd=3&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

Wonder who bought it...

Enron Federal Solutions, Inc. apparently became one of those contractors according to this court docket : www.uscfc.uscourts.gov...

:O Speechless.

Looking back at this one: i.imgur.com...

It'd almost be hilarious if it weren't so bloody awful. I've just actually been looking at this stuff for about an hour so far. I'm almost scared to keep looking.

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 10:32 PM
link   
For those unfamiliar with exactly the kind of stuff that Enron is infamous for:

www.cbsnews.com...

finance.laws.com...

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 06:02 AM
link   
Cutting out the things that really matter like national security, veterans services, is a psychological war Obama is playing... It is leverage to get everyone upset and make them budge.. I say not to let it get to everyone, it is difficult when we see veterans treated like trash, it gets to me, which plays into their hand, can not give in though.. Hope and change, i'm hoping this numskull changes this crap..

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 10:24 AM
link   
Well looks like things are going to get interesting soon.

Select cuts along with odd regulations being put in to place.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 11:29 AM
link   
reply to post by starfoxxx

Cutting out the things that really matter like national security, veterans services, is a psychological war Obama is playing... It is leverage to get everyone upset and make them budge

That’s all this is…it’s a BS game he’s playing to strong arm the GOP into more tax increases.

Personally, I don’t think the amount of these cuts in the rate of growth is big enough. I don’t like that 7% is from the military while a smaller percentage is from discretionary funds. I think the cuts need to be BIG and across the board! They take too much of our money already and they spend even more than they take. They need to be reined in.

Bring on the CUTS!!

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 12:50 PM
link   
because we all know that these things and others like them are SOOOOOOO much more important.

for $325,000 for university researchers in California to develop a robotic squirrel to observe how rattlesnakes react, to study the interaction between predators and prey.

$27 million spent by the U.S. Agency for International Development to train Moroccans to make and sell pottery around the world. But the report, which cited a USAID inspector general report, says the program was riddled with problems, including having a translator at classes who was not fluent in English, and by using dyes and clay not available in that country.

The study is critical of the continued production of the copper penny, which now costs more than two cents to make. It complains about $516,000 spent on a video game that simulates the social experience of attending a prom, $31,000 for Smokey Bear balloons to make appearances at balloon festivals, $300,000 to promote domestically produced caviar, and $268 million spent on a loophole for paper manufacturers that allows them to claim a waste byproduct is an alternative energy source.

And the continual blaming of the republicans for this sequester is a joke: If the 95 democrats would not have voted AYE and voted NO instead, the act would not have passed.

S. 365 (112th): Budget Control Act of 2011 (On Passage of the Bill)

Vote .....Rep's.....Dems.....total

AYE......174.........95.......269
NO ........ 66........95........161
NOT........0........... 3.......... 3
VOTING

edit on 1-3-2013 by Gridrebel because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 02:35 PM
link   
I will never understand the fascination with dead bodies. Just burn them. Cemeteries are an insane waste of real estate.

Also, 31 funerals a day? Sign me up Sarge!

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 02:39 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

If FLINKY DIES i will be SOOOOO DAMN PISSED MY HAIR WILL IGNITE AND I WILL RUN INTO A LAKE SCREAMING BLOODY MURDER (which is what theyre commiting)

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 02:51 PM
link   
reply to post by DaTroof

I will never understand the fascination with dead bodies. Just burn them. Cemeteries are an insane waste of real estate.

I agree, yet that’s a very personal decision. There are religious considerations for some people, too.

Also, 31 funerals a day? Sign me up Sarge!

I think our veterans deserve a lot better than people making flippant remarks about their sacrifice for our freedom. Regardless what your personal view is, it would be a nice gesture to show at least a little reverence for the dead and their sacrifice.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 03:12 PM
link   
reply to post by seabag

I don't see how slaughtering people in their home lands has any kind of positive effect on my freedom, but OK!

YAY KILLERS! I'm so proud of all you killers that got killed or died.

Happy?

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 03:20 PM
link   
reply to post by DaTroof

I don't see how slaughtering people in their home lands has any kind of positive effect on my freedom, but OK!

YAY KILLERS! I'm so proud of all you killers that got killed or died.

Happy?

I never suggested you should respect their actions. I suggested you show reverence when someone dies, especially someone who sacrificed for the country you enjoy. It’s the right thing to do regardless if you agreed with them or not. Are you one of those guys who doesn't stop when a funeral procession passes?

Having perspective is a sign of maturity. A lot of people gave their life so that we can…..

Nevermind!

edit on 1-3-2013 by seabag because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 03:34 PM
link   
reply to post by seabag

Did you show respect for Osama bin Laden when he was killed?

Hell no I don't stop for funeral processions. I have somewhere to be. John Doe ain't going anywhere.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 03:39 PM
link   
reply to post by DaTroof

Did you show respect for Osama bin Laden when he was killed?

Well I certainly don’t plan on debating this subject with a person who equates a fallen US veteran with Osama bin Laden.

No perspective, friend.

Hell no I don't stop for funeral processions. I have somewhere to be. John Doe ain't going anywhere.

I figured you were one of those people!

Maybe this attitude is the reason Chicago is such a crime ridden dump?

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 03:43 PM
link   
reply to post by seabag

Considering bin Laden WAS a US veteran, I don't see why the two can't be compared?

How about the veteran who rolled a grenade in his buddy's tent?

How about a veteran who killed more friendlies than enemies?

Respect is deserved through actions in life, not inevitable death.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 04:06 PM
link   
Can someone let me know when we are going to March on Washington and toss this laughable Government out of it.
They treat this as a joke and don't need to be running this country. Not a one of them.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 04:25 PM
link   
The military wastes untold amounts of money. A vast majority of jobs on base used to be done by soldiers (cooking, cleaning, lawn care, security) it is all contracted out to civilians now and they are paid 5-6 times what a soldier makes. All to add a reason to keep bases open.

Cut the redundant civilians on base and we'd save at least 25% IMO

reply to post by DaTroof

You ever said that to a vet in person?

LMAO - I already know the answer.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 09:18 PM
link   
reply to post by WhiteAlice

Agreed.

It is sold as a panacea of low cost efficiency and almost always turns into a mess at greater cost. There is no consistency between contracts, few in government have the business savvy to successfully oversee contracting, waaaaay too much collusion in guiding awards of said contracts, etc.

With the military it has been insane. Lots of jobs Soldiers used to do, are now done by civilians. Civilians now out number service member 8 to 1 in the DoD. How effective can that possibly be? Yet, once the door is open, it is the civilians making the decisions and the gap will do nothing but widen. If you want to find a threat to national security, look no further. I could go on but will keep my mouth shut. The important facts are self evident anyway.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 09:59 PM
link   
At least 95% of DoD despises Obama. It is called punishment.
The administration also suppressed the overseas military vote because of "budget shortages".

But...they insist on sending money to Islamist "rebels" with Al Queda connections in Syria and elsewhere. Future opponents of our military men and women.

This administration has proven that it can indeed "happen here."

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join