It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sequestration will hit Arlington National Cemetery!?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 01:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer

Originally posted by jimmiec
reply to post by beezzer

That's what all the ammo DHS is buying up is for. The only way to bring America down is to bankrupt it. Once bankrupt, it will be chaos in the large cities.

I would normally scoff at what you're suggesting, . . . . . . . . . . . . .

. . . . . um. . . .maybe not so much any more.

Something wicked this way comes! To clarify... we have not seen nothin yet. I am not sure what but most of know our small world is having problems and things don't seem to be getting better. This reminds me of smyleegrl's thread "The Waiting Game"! www.abovetopsecret.com...

Ya I am waiting for the other shoe to drop. I am waiting for the enough is enough point! When is that who knows but I wish it would happen already. Until then...

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 01:26 PM
link   
reply to post by seabag

To answer your post...... He sees the end game, the average joe doesn't. We are worried about how we can pay for our electric bill and how we will feed our kids.

The Great Depression wasn't too bad for some. Those some were the people who raped the average joe for everything he had, then, after the depression was in their face, sat back and ate lobster while the average joe starved to death or waited in the bread line.

Thats whats happening now. These people who are on top are going to live great while we fall farther and farther into squallor. Then one day you die.

MOTF!

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 01:47 PM
link   
The sequester is actually pretty interesting. From what I can tell from a number of articles, what is being cut is Congress' discretionary spending and I actually made these graphs in 2011 (haven't done 2012 yet but probably will). I deliberately left them all greyscale to avoid any color bias. I think that they may be very helpful to this conversation. I'm just leaving the links because some of them are pretty large to allow zoom in on small text. The data came straight from the excels provided by the CBO.

To give an idea as to what discretionary spending entails, here's a pie graph of Congress' discretionary spending for 2011: i.imgur.com...

And here's a link to the outlays for discretionary spending since: 1962: i.imgur.com...

To better understand discretionary spending, in 2011 and the second graph, outlays for discretionary spending was $1.35 trillion.

National defense discretionary spending for the same time period: i.imgur.com...

And our total government surpluses/deficits from 1948-2011: i.imgur.com...

For the record, I think it's unconscionable that they would chose to delay veteran's burials. What I want to know though is whether the sequester actually specifies that burials will be reduced or if that's where the DoD is choosing to make the cut? I haven't been able to find that answer out specifically...have any of you? The Wired article doesn't clarify that at all.

edit on 28/2/13 by WhiteAlice because: added source for graph data

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 01:47 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Brother! I spit my coffee all over the house reading your reply. That crap was too funny! Thanks for being serious as you can be all the while touching base with the lighter side! Hats off to you my friend!

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 02:01 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Do you not find it interesting that Obama is still campaigning? That he signed the Patriot act while at the same time claimed terrorism dead? All the other powers he has given himself and other government agencies? It is not even much of a puzzle to piece together if you ask me. It is pretty obvious what the end game is.

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 02:07 PM
link   
reply to post by WhiteAlice

I have been trying to dig into this for over an hour now and found no further info. Will this be considered a non-defense cut or not? As usual nothing is black and white! Now I have been side tracked by trying to find info on the No Budget No Pay Act of 2013 and have been pondering the next political move to stop that from happening. God forbid. Hide your bunnies too!
edit on 2/28/2013 by restlessinMT because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 02:08 PM
link   
I do believe that the heroes of american wars whom had readily sacrificed their lives would not mind delays or even not be remembered by others, for they gave freely, not for fame or fortune, but for their loved ones.

The lone Unknown Soldier Tomb would have sufficed by many of our courageous and selfless dead, enough for us all to honor their deed and debts to them to ensure such selflessness will be a tradition for all future generations of americans.

BUT, is America so broke that it cannot even honor the dead brave soldiers today, when they have the obscene amounts of loans to go into wars in the first place???

Many elected representatives when told that they are supposed to represent the voters, or the majority of them for state and federal decisions, they often countered that they vote upon their own conscience.

If this report is true and indeed sequestration by Congress made up of both republicans and democrats means the castration of our war heroes and the living's fight for the nation, then may voters finally wake up to where the representatives' 'conscience' lies, just as many conflicting and dubious anti-citizen laws that they had legislated........

My lone lighted candle may not mean anything to anyone, but it is still my way to honor the dead for their selflessness and courage, a candle in memory of them whom had lighted the way out of darkness, when others had forgetten them.....

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by restlessinMT
reply to post by WhiteAlice

I have been trying to dig into this for over an hour now and found no further info. Will this be considered a non-defense cut or not? As usual nothing is black and white! Now I have been side tracked by trying to find info on the No Budget No Pay Act of 2013 and have been pondering the next political move to stop that from happening. God forbid. Hide your bunnies too!

I know, I was doing the same thing and just kind of gave up because I couldn't find it. I'm usually really good at finding info so I hate it when that happens.
The thing that makes me wonder is that the DoD is really fighting these cuts and I can kind of see why. I seem to recall that the spending for the DoD had already been cut a bit (or I could be smoking something funny). They have a really vested interest in how much money goes their way. Sad to say, they are also the biggest employer in the US. From what I could see, the DoD is talking about furlough days for employees and that basically means bringing employees to 80% time as opposed to 100%. Honestly, a lot of places have already done that at the state level years ago. To complain about that when medical research has been "furloughed" is kind of ridiculous. Overall, I do still see a possible rational that they'd rather keep paying the living and delay burying the dead which will not do them any harm as they are, in fact, dead (brutal, I know). Or it could be something that they are putting out there to offend and upset the public so that they will get upset about the sequester. Delaying burials on troops--yeah, that hits any American who respects our military vets right where it counts.

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 02:26 PM
link   
How many Veterans could be honored and buried for $60 million? I would love to know the average cost of an Arlington burial. With and without honors...

Let's just get the Money From John Kerry. He seems to have a fat check book handy on the eve of the sequester

U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry pledged an additional $60 million in aid to Syrian opposition forces Thursday, including food and medical support directly to armed rebels for the first time but turning aside their demand for weapons.

The $60 million more than doubles the amount that the Obama administration has so far given to the political opposition in Syria, and, in a policy shift, some of the aid will be funneled directly to armed rebels for the first time.

There you have it!! The priorities of this Administration. They are doubling the Amount and funneling it directly to the rebels in a foreign land. I guess that is more important than honoring our Veterans!!!

www.latimes.com...

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 02:34 PM
link   
reply to post by MessOnTheFED!

Allow me to illustrate what’s going on here.

Sequestration is nothing more than a cut in the increase to the budget. We’re talking about peanuts in comparison to what they’re spending every day! So because of this, Obama is willing to allow:

*some veterans to be denied burial services at national cemeteries.

Meanwhile, Obama spends money on vacation.

*DHS begins releasing dangerous illegal alien criminals and blames it on sequestration.

Department of Homeland Security has already started releasing hundreds of illegal aliens held in local jails in anticipation of automatic “sequestration” cuts – out of a planned total of more than 10,000 aliens to be released.
DHS

Meanwhile, Obama spends $1,000 per hour on golf lessons.

*Millions of Americans are unemployed and thousands of job cuts loom because of…sequestration.

Meanwhile, Obama spends millions traveling the country giving speeches on gun control.

I think it’s pretty obvious what’s going on….

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 02:44 PM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

reply to post by jibeho

In truth, that $60million dollars given to the Rebellion for mainly food, non-lethal equipment and trucks are far short of what is needed to take out the brutal HumanSlayer Assad. The Rebellion needs weapon and can't fight with muskets and buckshots scrounged from the ground. And far far short from the $1.5 billion needed by the UN Human Rights Council to feed our fellow brothers and sisters caught in the crossfire.

If $60million is all that America can afford right now, may it not be wasted but put to good use, to end the days of the vicious wild beast assad, puppet of the persian Khameni, so that at least the horrifying continued bloodshed be ended. The free Syrian People too, are only our fellow humans.

As for american military heroes, rather than to let them rest in cold rooms right now while both republicans and democrats are bickering unconscionably over the sequestration castrations, perhaps we can start a donation drive within our own district communities to bury them with honors and let them rest in peace, those whom had given their lives courageously and selflessly for us all in this terrifying decade long fight against terrorism?....

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by jimmiec
reply to post by beezzer

Do you not find it interesting that Obama is still campaigning? That he signed the Patriot act while at the same time claimed terrorism dead? All the other powers he has given himself and other government agencies? It is not even much of a puzzle to piece together if you ask me. It is pretty obvious what the end game is.

It's certainly looking that way.

Obama is many things. Stupid isn't one of them.

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 03:00 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

It's certainly looking that way.

I agree!

Obama is many things. Stupid isn't one of them.

I beg to differ…

And keep in mind…he chose this genius as a running mate!!

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 03:09 PM
link   
reply to post by seabag

Boss, I have to disagree with you.

I'm not too bright when it comes to economics. That's a given.

But when I can see what is being deliberately done, then you have to ask yourself, if this isn't done stupidly or by accident, then they have to be doing it on purpose.
edit on 28-2-2013 by beezzer because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 03:14 PM
link   
reply to post by seabag

I went on vacation one time. I saved for a few years and had a blast and I'm still feeling it in my wallet.

MOTF!

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by restlessinMT

I tell ya this crap is getting old. Everyday the people are being beat down more and more. The camels back is broken folks.

Personally, Obama, Boehner, Reid and the whole lot of them could start by cutting out any vacations, holidays for themselves, family and friends. That is just a start!

I agree..........and his concern over this whole thing sure as hell didnt keep him from taking that trip to golf with Tiger Woods that cost $998,000

Hes SOOOO concerned.........anyone who believes the crap that comes out of obamas mouth is either brainwashed, willfully ignorant, or handicapped.......

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

But when I can see what is being deliberately done, then you have to ask yourself, if this isn't done stupidly or by accident, then they have to be doing it on purpose.

Oh, this is all intentional. I just don’t give Obama credit for it. He was ushered to the thrown…he “didn’t build that!” He’s a tool of the higher powers that call the shots. He was an obscure senator who voted present and never held a position of seniority of any kind in HIS LIFE. Do you think he got where he is based on his own merit?

And “stupid” might have been a bit strong. He’s a tool…a puppet….a mouth piece. He’s not calling the shot.

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 05:39 PM
link   
reply to post by restlessinMT

I do believe that, come May, if they haven't resolved the issue, they all stop getting paid.

Personally, I wouldn't pay them until they get us out of debt and fix the budget with a massive bonus as the incentive to get this done.

as to things that should be cut:
ex-president salaries. $450k a year, for life, plus security? please.
vacations should be at the expense of the vacationer. I'd love to tell my employer that I'm going to Hawaii for three weeks and then have them pay for it.
All salaries for elected officials. they should get paid a minimal stipend with milestones that, if met, kick in payments. No wars on your watch, payday. Balanced budget, payday. No terror attacks on the citizens, payday. go from deficit to surplus, payday with a percentage based bonus for each increase in surplus (yearly) during your term
there's tons of fat that can be trimmed and, thanks to the low salaries that most politicians receive, we're getting the bottom of the barrel with regards to talent. Make the pay incentive based and you will get people with brains who think they can accomplish the goals, not morons who couldn't hack it as lawyers, trust fund babies who seek power and con artists looking to game the system.

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 05:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Crakeur

I wouldn’t begrudge any ex-POTUS a nice pension and lifetime security. That’s a matter of national security. I also wouldn’t begrudge an active POTUS vacation time (yes, even Obama). I would say that he needs to load his princess and the kids on the same damn plane instead of flying around like they are trying to burn extra frequent flyer miles.

they should get paid a minimal stipend with milestones that, if met, kick in payments. No wars on your watch, payday. Balanced budget, payday. No terror attacks on the citizens, payday. go from deficit to surplus, payday with a percentage based bonus for each increase in surplus (yearly) during your term there's tons of fat that can be trimmed and, thanks to the low salaries that most politicians receive, we're getting the bottom of the barrel with regards to talent. Make the pay incentive based and you will get people with brains who think they can accomplish the goals, not morons who couldn't hack it as lawyers, trust fund babies who seek power and con artists looking to game the system.

All excellent ideas! When can we expect them to vote this into law??

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 06:00 PM
link   
reply to post by seabag

never happen but the idea came from a conversation I had with a county legislator that I happened to be friends with. The concept came from him as much as from me and he agreed that the majority of politicians that move up the chain are dolts. he does more for more people than sarah palin did in alaska (this could be said for many politicians at the state level).

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join