It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Humanity at a new low: Forcing disabled and autistic to fight.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+8 more 
posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 07:11 PM
link   
I rarely get surprised anymore by how deplorable people are.
From religions of 'peace and love' that spend all their resources on hate and oppression to people who love 'freedom' only if its for people like them.

But this is a new low.
There is a hospital here in Las Vegas where orderlies have been making patients fist fight for their amusement. From autistic individuals to physically disabled.

I am growing to hate people more every day.

Tossing this up for conversation purposes. What should be done to these orderlies? What constitutes justice anymore?
edit on 25-2-2013 by lordtyp0 because: Fixed link

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 07:18 PM
link   
Didn't Southpark do an episode about something almost identical to this?

Forcing anyone to fight for another's amusement is always wrong.

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 07:26 PM
link   
Absolutely disgusting.

Were there background checks ran on these individuals before they were hired?

I hope they get a nice little vacation. In jail.

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 07:31 PM
link   
Well, lets not pretend this is some unique aspect of humanity.
"freak fights" have been going on since the most ancient empires.

But I do agree it is fully the worst humanity has to offer when considering these people whom are setting these things up.

Now ops.
Your condemnation against humanity falls short. I imagine sweeping majority (in the 95+%) of responses, be it on this website, or a global poll, would be equally disgusted.
Do you measure things based on the worst it has to offer?

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 07:36 PM
link   

Were there background checks ran on these individuals before they were hired?

The dangerous aspect of todays society is in the idea that people whom were caught (and often then treated/identified their problems) are the only ones capable of ever doing wrong.

Its my stance that in medium to big crimes, your far more endangered at people not caught (clean records) than people with a record.

Records of people only serve to create boogiemen...typically falsely.

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 07:43 PM
link   
reply to post by lordtyp0

I feel physically sick to my stomach after watching the report. What should happen to these orderlies? I'm too much of a lady to say what I think in blunt terms but nothing short of ensuring that they become sopranos would satisfy my desire to see them pay for their inhumane treatment of these individiuals.

I can't believe that this is not getting more attention and responses from ATS members. What is happening to us? You look at the anti-Obama threads which are FILLED with comment after comment and then you look at this which has elicited all of three comments as I'm typing my reply? Have we really sunk so low as to put our need to engage in government bashing overcome our sense of right and wrong?

I applaud you for posting this, lordtyp0. As sick as I feel after watching it, this is the stuff that we can't afford to disregard because the price of our apathy - the slow and insidious numbing of our humanity - is just way too high!
edit on 2/25/2013 by timidgal because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 07:44 PM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

I am of the opinion that applicants who will be working with children, the disabled, and the elderly, should be carefully screened due the fact that a portion of these individuals don't have the ability to speak out against abuse.

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 07:49 PM
link   

Actually, kind of reminds me of political theory.
One of the factors that separate left from right is the right side of the political aisle tend to ascribe to the premise that "People are evil and will steal any chance they get, the government is there to keep them honest." Vs. the left which is more of a "People are inherently good and its the purpose of society in the form of government to ensure they have as good a life as possible."

Both angles are skewed either by malice of naivete accordingly.

I am one of those who tend to hate 'people' but like the 'person'. I am inclined to agree that the more of a crowd you have, the more of a mob it becomes.

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 07:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by MystikMushroom
Didn't Southpark do an episode about something almost identical to this?

Forcing anyone to fight for another's amusement is always wrong.

FORCING is the keyword.. If boxers or MMA fighters want to fight for my amusement and money then by all means that is different....

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 07:55 PM
link   
Psychos come in all shapes and sizes, colours and professions. The health and restaurant industries in particular are full of people with phoney care for other humans. It's no help that they have to deal with people in pain, with mental disabilities, those with longterm or terminal conditions in hospitals/homes, and those with exacting high standards and rudeness in restaurants either. There's no real excuse for it regardless, just a falling short of healthy humanity. I don't worry so, so much about it these days, karma will eventually bite them in the behind, and eventually they will have to explain everything they did to their Creator.

reply to post by timidgal

I believe a lot of these atrocities draw our attention but not our comments, I know I'll S&F a number of threads without comment here anyway. That's to raise awareness and to appreciate the posters for their comments, but a lot of the time someone else already voices the sentiments I might have offered.
edit on 25-2-2013 by Northwarden because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 07:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by daryllyn

I am of the opinion that applicants who will be working with children, the disabled, and the elderly, should be carefully screened due the fact that a portion of these individuals don't have the ability to speak out against abuse.

And I am of the opinion we need live stream cameras in public areas of places that have such people (children, elderly, etc) and a 24 hour recording always on file.
People are surprisingly well behaved when they feel they are being watched.

That is far more effective than finding out of someone got in a bar fight 10 years ago.

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 07:56 PM
link   
In my state a background check is run on anyone working with the disabled and or elderly. If any abuse against these people is found and corroborated by our penal system - one can never work in that field again. Which is a good thing but sadly many of these abusers are seldom prosecuted since they put their livelihood on the line.

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 08:00 PM
link   

Would it be anything like this!?!?!?!

This was a super cool movie about an autisic girl that kicks some rear.
edit on 25-2-2013 by Wertdagf because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 08:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by lordtyp0
I am one of those who tend to hate 'people' but like the 'person'. I am inclined to agree that the more of a crowd you have, the more of a mob it becomes.

Group think...its a interesting dynamic...and in itself neutral.
A group in a scene as say, a gladiatorial battle, will scream for blood and death..you get encouraged by your neighbor and allow yourself to basically merge with one another into a (dumbed down) chorus of the subject at hand.

But keep in mind, group think also made other things possible. Civil rights, india's independence with passive resistance, etc...so it can be used for good or bad overall.

No better time to observe group thinking than in politics of course.

I love people..singular and plural. I think mankind is awesome, but I know we can also create awesome evil. I choose to be nieve about the horrors that persons can do, because people as a whole are created by the sum of person's..and most persons you meet are actually of either neutral or good community intentions.

just a bit dumb overall...

and that is both people and persons (in my view).

Keep in mind, I also like snakes. Like does not mean hugging each one I see...Sometimes a headless snake is more likable than it with its fangs activated.

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 08:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Northwarden
Psychos come in all shapes and sizes, colours and professions. The health and restaurant industries in particular are full of people with phoney care for other humans. It's no help that they have to deal with people in pain, with mental disabilities, those with longterm or terminal conditions in hospitals/homes, and those with exacting high standards and rudeness in restaurants either. There's no real excuse for it regardless, just a falling short of healthy humanity. I don't worry so, so much about it these days, karma will eventually bite them in the behind, and eventually they will have to explain everything they did to their Creator.

I believe a lot of these atrocities draw our attention but not our comments, I know I'll S&F a number of threads without comment here anyway. That's to raise awareness and to appreciate the posters for their comments, but a lot of the time someone else already voices the sentiments I might have offered.
edit on 25-2-2013 by Northwarden because: (no reason given)

This is a rational explanation but to be perfectly honest, it incites my ire when I see an anti-Obama thread (and I'm neither pro nor con for Obama so that's not the issue here) which has 50 replies and then one of this type of importance that has 10 replies. I understand what you're saying - what more can someone say other than how disgusting this is, but I just can't reconcile the disproportionately active participation when it comes to fluff vs substance. It's my problem, I admit, but it helps me to vent at times and it helps me even more when someone such as yourself is kind enough to take the time to validate my vent. Thank you for your consideration.

TG

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 08:11 PM
link   
Being the parent to a child with autism, if this happened, I'd be perfectly fine with putting the offending orderlies in a room with me and a baseball bat. No time limit, no questions.

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 08:26 PM
link   

I hear you; I feel that way about a number of topics too. I'm saddened to see threads involving any kind of poison in our food, drink, water supply, medicines, and air not get the attention I feel they rightly deserve. The same with those involving slippery slopes such as nanotech, micro-drones, vaccines, HAARP, CERN or other potential and already runaway techs and advents that threaten the future of our species. I consider that part of the longterm effect of understanding some conspiracies for many here however : the been-there, know-that mindset that develops after a number of repeat threads. It's also a matter of people developing a minimum knowledge base from which to comment on, posters not wanting to deal with certain issues, posters, or disinfo agents that crop up, and especially these days, not wanting to wind up raising the ire of industries or government. Lastly, I think the entire topography of this site would be far livelier if dozens of now-banned posters such as Protoplasmic Traveller, Boondock Saint, and other worthy posters were still here ... not to say that they didn't run foul of rules in all fairness to the mods. It's a loss to us all, to be sure.

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 08:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Northwarden

It's also a matter of people developing a minimum knowledge base from which to comment on, posters not wanting to deal with certain issues, posters, or disinfo agents that crop up, and especially these days, not wanting to wind up raising the ire of industries or government.

Not to unintentionally convey disrespect to your other comments, but this particular one struck a chord with me and I think you're spot on. When I stop to think of it, it does require a certain amount of effort to take the time to research and fully understand some of the more complex topics and I take for granted that everyone thinks like you and I do. There are times when I'll come upon a thread that has been going on for days and it will literally take me hours to read through all of the replies and then do some independent research before I fully understand the issue. I myself don't mind doing this because I look upon it as a learning opportunity that's worth my time, but I can't blame others who don't feel the same. I suppose it depends on your main motives for being a participant on this site and perhaps one's ability to grasp certain abstract concepts (and that's not intended to be construed as a "dis" on anyone).

I'm sorry I didn't have the opportunity to become familiar with the posts contributed by those past members you mentioned. I obviously have a respect for your opinions and if you felt that those particular members added substance to the threads before their banning, then I can only infer that it is a loss for those of us who truly want to learn and expand our knowledge.

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 09:06 PM
link   
reply to post by lordtyp0

This is messed up. Autistic people and disabled people don't have the ability to defend themselves from social manipulation like this - it is clearly a human rights violation.

On a second note, I propose adding this to the list of reasons why facilities that take on disabled and autistic people should be thoroughly investigated for any other wrongdoings or blatant ethical violations..
edit on 25-2-2013 by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 09:09 PM
link   
This goes on at just about every state school / hospital for the developmentally disabled. I used to work in the field, and it is common knowledge that this occurs, usually in the evening hours when there are fewer people there. It is vile, disgusting, and endemic.

One of my children used to be friends with a girl who's boyfriend worked at the state school. This young man was an heroin addict, and I heard stories of making the patients fight until one of them was knocked out, forcing them to ingest illegal drugs and watch them tweak out, and sexual abuse.

The problem, as I see it, is that state and local budgets for these things are very small. In order to fully staff these places, they are able to pay only above minimum wage, not really enough to survive on, so what they end up with are uneducated, barely literate types that quickly learn that these patients are vulnerable and will not be believed if they try and tell.

You get what you pay for. People imagine that these places are staffed with caring, educated individuals who treat the patients with kindess. It just isn't that way. The caring, educating people cannot make a living doing this job, which at times can be quite dangerous and carries a great deal of responsibility for only $8.25 per hour, so they leave. What's left are usually young guys (men are usually better at this job due to the risk of being assaulted), many of who still party and are immature.

This is the sad nature of these places. Until we designate more funds to attract compassionate, caring staff, we're going to be left with the bottom of the barrel, who go to work high or tweaked, and do very evil things to those in their care after dark. People need to wake up. These places are, and have been for many decades, living hells for those who are trapped there and have no place to go.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join