It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mt. Etna Major Eruption Now!

page: 16
<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 02:28 AM
link   
Lots of activity last night and early this morning. Wow.

This article fed me some great info I hadn’t thought of - but should of!

Etna MeteoWeb

(googletranslation) After the 3.5 magnitude earthquake yesterday afternoon, Etna seems started a veritable swarm: last night there was a new shock at 21:37 with a magnitude of 2.0 at a depth of 5.6km, then in a night new quake of magnitude 2.1 to 1.2km depth to 0:34, and then again magnitude 2.2 to 9.1km depth to 04:40 followed within a few minutes, at 4:47, a shock stronger, magnitude 2.9 to 3.5km deep, felt by the population.

This earthquake swarm could be linked to the "stress" due to the new volcanic bulge in place, after the deflation that had occurred in recent weeks. The last paroxysm, in fact, it was almost a month ago, on April 27. But perhaps these shocks are signs of a new business coming in the next days ...

When Etna ‘swells’ - I guess like a pimple (forgive me Etna for the gross reference) - and then ‘pops’ (ok this is getting grosser) I hadn’t thought about what happens to the fissure after.

After it’s empty and the collapse takes place. I guess I just figured it would refill and then ‘pop’ again.

From the article I gleamed there is a lot more that takes place and I’ll be studying that up ASAP.

We'll see, while we continue to monitor the situation!

peace

Added note: Something else that should have been obvious to me. The numbers given to the EQ’s might be low? Like the 3.5 that tipped my chair yesterday and the 2.0's that rocked my world this morning? Those are tiny! Right?

Not when they happen only a kilometer deep just below me! THAT'S why I'm getting such a bang for her bucks!

posted on May, 27 2013 @ 10:03 PM
link   

Volcanic Riddle: Burst in Mount Etna Eruptions Puzzles Experts

Mount Etna is spitting lava more violently than it has in years, and scientists are baffled as to why. Despite being the world's most-studied volcano, the Sicilian mountain is also its most unpredictable.

The volcano is raging. Fountains of lava, some taller than the Eiffel Tower, shoot from its mouth every few weeks, flowing in red-hot streams into the surrounding valleys. There have been 13 eruptions since the beginning of February.

Source

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 08:15 AM
link   
I hope you all take a moment to reasd this interesting article on volcano ‘screaming‘.

At the moment Etna isn’t impressed at the phraseology but she’s not arguing the facts.

Volcanoes 'SCREAM' before erupting, say scientists

- American scientists have discovered that some volcanoes 'scream' just before they erupt

- The noise is created by a tremor caused by a swarm of mini earthquakes that precedes this eruption

- The University of Washington believe that a rise in the frequency of earthquakes could be used to predict when eruptions will happen

‘They’ say the noise is nearly inaudible but I’m betting this might be the reason I’ve been so fortunate to witness her eruptions just as they start with time to spare to get my camera. Maybe I can hear the ‘screams’! All kidding aside I don't see why those of us who live here on her flanks might not be 'tunes in' to hear her.

...researchers also believe that this research and the rise in the frequency of earthquakes and the tremors they cause in the ground could be used to predict future volcanic eruptions.

The study said that it is not unusual for swarms of small earthquakes to precede a volcanic eruption. They can reach a point of such rapid succession that they create a signal called a 'harmonic tremor' that is inaudible to humans as it is such a low frequency. They found that the harmonic tremor rose to substantially higher frequencies and then stopped abruptly just before six of the eruptions.

There’s an audio clip at the link and a lot of great information. Enjoy.

Here’s our girl in her ‘artsy’ mood as she doesn’t always look so charming in the summer.

peace

posted on Aug, 16 2013 @ 03:04 AM
link   
Time to keep our eyes on Etna.

This area (Catania/Messina) was warned to expect some ‘huge’ EQ action today and tomorrow.
A few have started - who knows how far they’ll go - for the most part all within the 2.1 range. Still, it’s giving the ol’Girl a shake up.

For the moment she’s ‘putting out’ steam/smoke. This pic was taken this morning.

Hopefully she’ll stay calm but we’re ready just in case...

peace
edit on 16-8-2013 by silo13 because: clip

posted on Aug, 27 2013 @ 01:47 AM
link   
A small volcanic vent suddenly appeared near Rome's airport

Occurred On: Aug-27-2013

By: tubezzz
www.liveleak.com...

Silo13 any thoughts on this?

edit on 27-8-2013 by BobAthome because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2013 @ 12:43 PM
link   
reply to post by silo13

A small volcanic vent suddenly appeared near Rome's airport ,,sorry thought u got message,

look up

posted on Sep, 7 2013 @ 12:23 AM
link   
Yesterday morning our Etna put up a small plume of dark smoke. It didn’t seem to be anything more than what she's poofed out over the last week or so. A little here and a little there.

Then last evening at about 2330 local time - she got a little red on top. No noise, no ash, nothing more than a little light shining saying ‘I’m here I’m here’!

I think she wants to make sure we don’t forget her with all the news about the new volcano bigger than Arizona news.

Move Over Toba and Yellowstone- World's Biggest Volcano Discovered

Yeah, it might be 'bigger' but bigger isn't always better and we love our Etna more!

peace

posted on Sep, 7 2013 @ 04:24 AM
link   

Etna: dopo più di 4 mesi riprende l’attività del vulcano, le prime immagini

Etna: after more than 4 months resumes activity of the volcano, the first images

She's behind the clouds at the moment. Sneaky cheeky like. We'll see!

peace

posted on Sep, 7 2013 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by silo13

Even the wise old volcano is grumbling about the state of affairs topside.
She may have a point.
Good to see you are still on the case for us Silo.
Etna is looking amazing,as always.
Best regards from me.

posted on Sep, 7 2013 @ 04:10 PM
link   
Welcome back Silo.
I had been following your posts daily while Etna was active.
When you stopped posting and nothing was on the news, I had to assume Etna was quiet again.
I'm glad you confirmed it and will look forward to any updates.

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 10:13 AM
link   
Great News Everyone!

4-5th of October is scheduled for our lovely great Dame's UNESCO induction ceremony!!

I’ll do my best to go and get some shots and memories to share here for you all to enjoy...

Until then:

~ Bocca Nuova ~

photo link

peace

edit on 12-9-2013 by silo13 because: fix link

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 10:27 AM
link   
I've not 'heard' anything - but seen a little.

She's waking. Getting restless. Let's see where it goes.

Etna Wakes

The awakening of Etna lava ash from the new crater south-east

The activity is not supported by great energy, so much so that experts INGV Catania speak of eruption "is not currently structured." The pyroclastic material issued by the "mouth" falls under the summit area of the highest active volcano in Europe'

Eyes Open...

peace

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 05:00 AM
link   
She's very quiet about it. Very quiet.

She's waking none the less...

Eyes Open...

peace

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 05:25 AM
link   
reply to post by silo13

WOW, THAT'S CLOSE!

Please be safe!

I've had a 5.X slide my bed back and forth across a terrazzo floor in the middle of the night. Wheeee.

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 11:03 AM
link   
I flew over Mt Etna once and it was smoking! The pilot announced this fact to all the passengers as we flew over and I had a peek out of the window whilst keeping my fingers crossed that Etna would not erupt whilst doing so!

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 11:06 AM
link   
There’s been seven tremors is the last hour on Etna’s north side.
Time to get the camera battery charged.
I don’t ‘see’ anything yet - but - with the ground shakin’ like this it’s better to be safe than sorry.

Have a great weekend everyone!

peace

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 01:22 PM
link   
I’ve local confirmation Etna is erupting (now) - I can’t see/hear anything yet but I'm going to trek out and see.

Will check the web cams when I get back.

Between now and then if any of you have the web cam urls - post ‘em please!

Here's the one I have - but it's not registering anything.

Etna Live Cam

peace

edit on 25-10-2013 by silo13 because: link fix

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 01:28 PM
link   
You can see it here:

Etna Eruption

Let me see if I can snag some picks out back...

peace

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 01:28 PM
link   
reply to post by silo13

I found this one, Etna-- Radio Studio 7
It isn't very clear, but you can definitely see eruptive activity.

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 01:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Olivine

Wonderful!

Ok - this is almost embarrassing - but it's so good to see her doing something.

So... Drum roll please, lol...

It isn't much - but it's something!

peace (and THANKS)!

new topics

top topics

<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join