It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nestle recalls products after horse meat discovery

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 11:42 PM
link   
Hi all

Ive posted a couple threads about this horsemeat scandal, and now we have a new twist food giant Nestle has recalled two chilled pasta products, Buitoni Beef Ravioli and Beef Tortellini, from store shelves in Italy and Spain.

They have also suspended deliveries of all its products from German beef supplied by H.J. Schypke..

Ok there saying its only trace amounts again,but last time it was trace amounts then 60 % then 80% then 100% horsemeat and then it was donkey..

I cant believe a company as big as Nestle can let horsemeat get in their products and I dont believe for one second they didnt know it was there.. I mean wouldnt a company this size do its own independent testing.

I know there is alot of Nestle products in the US and Im just curious how much donkeymeat has made its way onto americans plates..

Hss it been confirmed that either Nestle or Burger King tainted meats havnt made there way to the US

www.cnn.com...

Nestle is suspending deliveries of all its products that include beef from a German supplier because "traces of horse DNA" were found in the meat, the Swiss-based food giant said on its website Monday.

Nestle also is recalling two chilled pasta products, Buitoni Beef Ravioli and Beef Tortellini, from store shelves in Italy and Spain, the news release said. A lasagna product sold to French catering businesses will also be recalled

edit on 19-2-2013 by goou111 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 12:15 AM
link   
Agreed, it's hard to fathom how any of these companies could let it happen. The upside is that local butchers should see a deserved increase in trade.

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 12:37 AM
link   
I know this was for their pasta but..... not gonna chance eating horse chocalate either.

Find it really hard to believe quality control has been so bad that it continued to slip past. More likely they knew all along, and are saving face.

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 12:39 AM
link   
What I don't get is how do you even get "trace amounts" of horse meat into a packing facility that isn't suppose to be processing and selling horse meat as regular beef?

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 12:47 AM
link   
They would do quality control but they would only test for contaminants, not animal DNA.

I dont see the big deal, its not like its rat meat.
Is the issue people have that its false advertising or that horse is somehow above being eaten?

If your happy to eat a cow why not a horse?

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 12:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by IkNOwSTuff
They would do quality control but they would only test for contaminants, not animal DNA.

I dont see the big deal, its not like its rat meat.
Is the issue people have that its false advertising or that horse is somehow above being eaten?

If your happy to eat a cow why not a horse?

The big deal is that its donkey... are you okay with donkey?

Because cows are bread for human consumption horses and donkeys are not.. Do you really wanna eat a old racehorse thats been givin all kinds of drugs his whole life?
edit on 19-2-2013 by goou111 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 01:03 AM
link   
The issue for me is the deception! Yes false ad. Good god yes. People should know what they are purchasing, especially when it comes to food! This is about principle.

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 01:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lucid Lunacy
The issue for me is the deception! Yes false ad. Good god yes. People should know what they are purchasing, especially when it comes to food! This is about principle.

I can understand the principle. There should be controls to ensure that one type of foodstuff is not sold as another; it could cause all kinds of problems, including sickness and death.

On the other hand it's kinda funny. My folks tell me that horsemeat was relatively common in the US after WWII. Oh, wait. I have a link.

How Americans Think: About Horse Meat, For Example

This seems quite ironic since Americans generally do not eat horse. In fact, horse meat has not been consumed in the U.S. in any regular way for a very long time. At the end of the Second World War, when beef was scarce, Americans resorted to horsemeat and Republicans ran against “Horsemeat Harry” Truman. Again in the early 1970s, when beef prices skyrocketed under the Nixon administration, people tried horsemeat, a trend illustrated on an episode of “All in the Family.”

I don't remember that particular "All in the Family" episode, nor people trying horsemeat during the Nixon administration, although I was in my early 20s then....

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 01:25 AM
link   
reply to post by goou111

Im a carnivore and will eat anything with the exception to dog or cat and only then because I like them and have heard they are tortured before being killed to get adrenaline through their systems.

Most livestock we eat has been pumped so full of hormones and and other stuff that whats in a racehorse would seem healthy by comparison.

As for donkey, never tried it but I would.

The false advertising I get but it seems to me that most are upset because its horse, I doubt there would have been much fuss if it was mutton instead of horse.

1 sentient being is as good as another in my opinion and whether its horse, cow, rabbit, whatever, the Karmic bill will turn up eventually

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 01:35 AM
link   
reply to post by IkNOwSTuff

Eat whatever you want but if your ok with them lying to you and selling you that sh--.telling you its one thing when its a completely different thing all together

If I spend my $$ on something and find out I was lied to about what i bought I would expect my $$ back so I think everyone who bought this sh-- should ask for refunds lol

Ill bet ya 20 buks that we find out real soon there is dog and cat meat in our food as well lol

Imagin how many dogs and cats die every year

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 01:58 AM
link   
Whats WITH all the horsemeat lately? It makes me wonder,has this not been going on for quite a while before? How is it that companies who are used to working with beef,not notice a difference-im asking because idk what horsemeat looks like,is it difficult to distinguish from beef,in appearance and texture? And what of the horses,where do the suppliers to these companies get such a lot of horses for slaughter nowadays? I had horsemeat jerky once as a child,it was a very dark,almost black meat.Well,in jerky form,i would'nt know how it looks raw.

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 02:03 AM
link   

reply to post by goou111

1 sentient being is as good as another in my opinion and whether its horse, cow, rabbit, whatever, the Karmic bill will turn up eventually

Animals are not sentient beings.

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 02:05 AM
link   
reply to post by goou111

I get the lying part and would be a bit peeved as well but from what I can tell from most comments in other threads the issue is the fact its horse and not the fact they were lied to.

Would you personally be upset if it was lamb or goat in the meat?

What if the meat was venison which is healthier and more expensive, would it still be an issue?

Not being a smartass, genuinely curious

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 02:07 AM
link   
reply to post by SubAce

Thanks animal whisperer for that insight. Please inform the scientists. They keep wasting time on that.

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 02:14 AM
link   
reply to post by IkNOwSTuff

Well in all the threads I have consistently talked about the issue being the deceit. People should care and be pissed. What kind of precedent does it set for further deception if the public doesn't react with strong enough opposition. The meat is trivial to the matter.

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 02:27 AM
link   

reply to post by goou111

Would you personally be upset if it was lamb or goat in the meat?

What if the meat was venison which is healthier and more expensive, would it still be an issue?

Not being a smartass, genuinely curious

Yes because I wanna know what im eating so I can have a choice.. some people love horses just like you love dogs and cats and would never eat one on purpose..

Just like some people refuse to eat pork shouls they not think its any big deal if the are eating pork when they thought they bought beef?

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 03:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lucid Lunacy
reply to post by SubAce

Thanks animal whisperer for that insight. Please inform the scientists. They keep wasting time on that.

Fair enough. I realize animal rights activists like to say that they are sentient in that they have feelings. I was referring to the sentient in the fact that they are not conscious. A sentient being is aware of oneself, thus is conscious of self existence, this is something unique to humans. Humans, in this context, are "sentient" beings (aware of their own existence). Animals are not.
edit on 19-2-2013 by SubAce because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 03:20 AM
link   
This whole horse meat scandal has made me kind of curious as to what the hell must be going on if things are so unregulated that horse meat is being processed into produce.

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 07:28 AM
link   
reply to post by goou111

reply to post by Lucid Lunacy

Fair call.

I can get on board with that.

The fact someone lied about what was in the product regardless of what is was is wrong, Im sure the book will be thrown at these people and I doubt their business will last much longer.

I agree its disgusting they got away with it, could have been anything and people are lucky it was just horse

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 07:29 AM
link   
reply to post by SubAce

Animals are not sentient beings.

With a comment like that I doubt you are either

top topics

<<   2 >>

join