It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are we about to enter another Younger Dryas?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 10:51 AM
link   
You are spot on, pal.
I have been doing some research (currently only halfway through) on ancient history and mythology in relation to archaeology, paleontology and astronomy. I have found considerable weight-age to the idea of a time cycle of 12,000 +/- 500 years. I do not want this to sound like yet another doomsday prophecy, but I have strong indication that we are on the verge of the end of a 12,000 years cycle! Of course a few 100 years more or less is nothing in the cosmic scale.

I am not in a position yet to detail out all the evidence for what I stated above. Once I reach a good stage with my research, I shall explain more (or maybe I shall publish a book
)
edit on 18/2/2013 by SambhavaamiYugeYuge because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 10:52 AM
link   
reply to post by auraelium

I dont know if we will get another event like younger dryas, but one thing for sure is that we are going to get something much worse which is a full blown ice age lasting for tens of thousands of years.
Younger dryas was a relative short event compared to the ice age that comes like clockwork between each short interglacial:

We are now at what is most likely the end of the holocene interglacial period since it is already overdue for another ice age and temps have been dropping on average for thousands of years now.
And this is believed to be due to milankovich cycles which are cyclic changes in orbital parameters.
The current orbit and solar irradation at 65 degrees north is also at the threshold where ice ages could start at any time.
It might not happen in our lifetime, but is sure to be happening within the next 1000 years or so.
edit on 18-2-2013 by juleol because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 11:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by InnerPeace2012
Thank you OP a great find, SnF...

This needs attention, it has come to point where, it's not to be taken lightly anymore.

But why hasn't it become official that we are approaching a meteor storm or am I missing something here?
Can anyone verify this?

Edit: I have come across the link from the other thread, it seems official folks. We are definitively appraoching a meteor shower.

EarthSky’s meteor shower guide for 2013

Peace
edit on 17-2-2013 by InnerPeace2012 because: (no reason given)

How do you figure?

From your own link:

Between the Quadrantid meteor shower in early January and the Lyrid shower in April, there are some slow months for meteor-watching.

Early January has well passed, and the Lyrids are April 22nd.

By my understanding, we are nowhere near a meteor field at the moment, and the Lyrids are too far off to be what is to account for the more recent accounts.

I think you're jumping the shark.

~Namaste

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 11:52 AM
link   
If there is a regular period of destruction here on Earth every 12,500 years or every 26,000 years, that would suggest to me that there is a large gravitational body disturbing the oort cloud containing possibly millions of asteriods or space rocks far away from the Earth. There are so many it would be difficult to detect them all especially if they suddenly started changing course. We would likely see them when they light up as they enter the inner solar system. By then it might be too late. I'm still wondering if there is a large dwarf star, very hard to detect, that orbits the sun on a regular cycle or some other large body such as a Jupiter size planet that routinely disturbs tons of space rocks every 12,000 to 26,000 years. That would make life interesting. Maybe more than I want it to be.
edit on 18/2/13 by orionthehunter because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 12:54 PM
link   
Meteors hit the earth's atmosphere several thousand times a week .. a couple hundred of them per month are visible.. but virtually all of them burn up in the atmosphere leaving just a "shooting star" ... events like the Russian Meteor happen about once every year.. but usually over sparsely, or unpopulated areas.. The Russian event is only rare because it happened over a populated city.

Yes the frequency of events may appear to be on the rise and that could indicate that we're entering a field of meteors, but it also could simply mean that the population has grown, technology has improved and people are merely reporting more of these events... I tend to think it's more likely the latter.

We also have a typical frenzy going on right now after the Russian event.. it has everyone thinking about it so more people are paying closer attention to the skies at this point.. and media will no doubt report anything they get.. this happens with any large event.. think about the Florida "zombie" which sparked news to report on cannibal attacks worldwide.. as if it hadn't already been happening =) it gave the appearance that it was a growing trend when actually it was an existing phenomena that simply had the spotlight shone upon it.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 01:11 PM
link   
reply to post by miniatus

But, it's not just the Russian event...We now also have the Japan fireball, the California fireball, the Cuba fireball, the Miami fireball(s), the Arizona fireball, all within just a few days.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 01:18 PM
link   
Then there's this:

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by XPLodER
reply to post by auraelium

i think you left off some zeros.......

Its also important to note that 12.5 thousand years is roughly how long it takes our solar system to make 1/2 a revolution around the Galaxy.

the milky way galaxy is aprox 100,000 light years across,
for us to travel 1/2 way around we would be going 50,000 light years in 12,500 years,

i dont think your model works, unless we are travelling faster than light

xploder

edit on 17/2/13 by XPLodER because: (no reason given)

And your geometry is a bit off. Diameter is the distance across a circle (radius being half that distance). Our solar system doesn't travel across the galaxy, it travels around it. So to find the diameter, use this equation: circumference=(Pi)*Diameter. Using 100,000 light years: 3.14 * 100000 = 314000 light years circumference (don't give me crap about 2 decimal places in pi - ATS limits post length
)

Since we're not at the exact outer edge, we must take the distance of our solar system to the galactic center, double it and multiply it by Pi. To get the amount of time it takes for one orbit, we must divide that distance by the speed at which we orbit the galactic center.

Or, we could just take a look at the Wikipedia page for Milky Way and see what it has to say:

Sun's Galactic rotation period 200 Million years (negative rotation)

edit on 18-2-2013 by stutteringp0et because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 06:49 PM
link   
12500 years-that funky number again.
Maybe the Nibiru crowd were right after all...except its not a solid mass,just chunks big enough to hurt,but too small to be easily identified.
I wonder how earths atmospheric temperature could be affected by a few billion grains of sand super heating on entry,no impact required.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 07:11 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 08:12 PM
link   
As mentioned above... 100k/200k are estimates. the margin of error is likely greater than 12,500 years.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 09:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Klassified

Scientists have compelling evidence that a meteorite storm hit the earth roughly 12,500 years ago, and is likely to have been responsible for the extinction of a prehistoric people and giant animals including mammoths.

I'm glad this has finally gotten a serious look-see. I've heard this postulated several times, and in some instances, being poo-pooed by those who supposedly know better. It's good to see some amount of vindication.

In the light of recent evensts, Is the earth about to pass through a belt of galactic debris ? an event that happens once every 12.5 thousand years?

At this point, I suppose we can only speculate. Maybe as scientists study this, they'll have a better idea of whether or not there is a cycle at play here.

S&F.
edit on 2/17/2013 by Klassified because: (no reason given)

I'm starting to believe this theory also, because I heard a few years ago about melt and ash being even at the exact time date all around the planet like something happened at one time. I never bought the theory that humans over hunted the megafauna for two simple reasons. One, scientists have put together that humans weren't going after megafauna because most of them where to big and dangerous they went after the week and sick. And two size matter, why go after a 5 to 8 ton tree sloth or those megafauna birds that didn't fly (those things where just like velociraptors and quick) who where dangerous when they could go after easy prey.

I think not only the clovis people but an advanced society existed back then and a massive meteor shower essentially nuked them back to the stone age (which the planet wasn't that far from anyway). And then add on the nuclear winter and possible volcano's erupting from land hits and earthquakes you have ash and darkness and cold going on for months if not years. The bigger you are the faster you fall when not enough food is around to consume and so what was left was the smaller animals and remnants of the megafauna who where lucky.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 09:57 PM
link   
reply to post by hoghead cheese

One thing seems certain. Something out of the ordinary happened about that time. And this may very well be our answer.

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 04:58 AM
link   
Any asteroid field that is in an orbit will pass this way again; the ones that didn't hit the first time; quite possibly hit the next time around. Interestingly enough...after 15 years of amicable tracking of near earth objects the program is suddenly shut down and deemed classified.

A recent U.S. military policy decision now explicitly states that observations by hush-hush government spacecraft of incoming bolides and fireballs are classified secret and are not to be released, SPACE.com has learned.

Government shuts down use of tracking near asteroids

Makes me think of what they learned form the 1930's War of the Worlds broadcast of aliens landing...being put into action...if it's not reported but it happens then who's going to panic? Sorting out the mass casualty is simpler than sorting casualty amid chaos.

If Russians knew that one was going to hit; would so many people have been strolling around business as usual? I don't think so. I can see staying quiet until SHTF because there's a chance SHTF happens somewhere else instead so why get everyone worked up in a frenzy? Seems to be a logical and rational assumption to me.

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 05:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by pierregustavetoutant
Then there's this:

Best opening cartoon sequence ever; I used to watch the dog poo out of that cartoon.

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 06:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by miniatus
Meteors hit the earth's atmosphere several thousand times a week .. a couple hundred of them per month are visible.. but virtually all of them burn up in the atmosphere leaving just a "shooting star" ... events like the Russian Meteor happen about once every year.. but usually over sparsely, or unpopulated areas.. The Russian event is only rare because it happened over a populated city.

Yes the frequency of events may appear to be on the rise and that could indicate that we're entering a field of meteors, but it also could simply mean that the population has grown, technology has improved and people are merely reporting more of these events... I tend to think it's more likely the latter.

We also have a typical frenzy going on right now after the Russian event.. it has everyone thinking about it so more people are paying closer attention to the skies at this point.. and media will no doubt report anything they get.. this happens with any large event.. think about the Florida "zombie" which sparked news to report on cannibal attacks worldwide.. as if it hadn't already been happening =) it gave the appearance that it was a growing trend when actually it was an existing phenomena that simply had the spotlight shone upon it.

i coundnt have said it better myself. Unfortunately, everyone on this site will ignore this post and keep posting their ridiculous inaccurate theories.

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 06:45 AM
link   
The scientific community hasn't formed a cohesive 'opinion' on this yet, per se, though there are reports that suggest this is possible.

There are also reports that the earth may be entering an area of increased risk from asteroids / comets etc.

Stats are suggesting an increase in natural disasters.

These links maybe posted already, I have posted them on other threads before, I don't have time to read all the thread.

chimalaya.org...

Now, instead of “global warming”, scientists are agog over a new slowing of sunspot activity—enormous magnetic storms—something that occurs every 11 years, half of the 22-year sunspot cycle. Now the U.S. National Solar Observatory and the U.S. Air Force Research Laboratory are suggesting that a new Little Ice Age is on its way.

www.spokesman.com...

The British scientists agree with many Russian and Japanese climate scientists that the world could be headed toward a mini ice age sometime in the near future. The new climate study suggests that the next significant cycle of cooling may rival the 70-year period in the mid-1600s that saw “frost fairs” held each winter season in London on the Thames River, which froze solid in January and February. By contrast, according to the Climatic Research Unit, there are several indicators that “provide overwhelming evidence that the climate has warmed.” Many of these scientists state that the overall trend toward warming is clear despite the many temperature fluctuations.

www.telegraph.co.uk...

New Little Ice Age in store?
The Earth could enter a new 'Little Ice Age' in the coming years due to low solar activity, astronomers believe.

www.space.com...

New evidence supports the idea that a huge space rock collided with our planet about 13,000 years ago and broke up in Earth's atmosphere, a new study suggests. This impact would have been powerful enough to melt the ground, and could have killed off many large mammals and humans. It may even have set off a period of unusual cold called the Younger Dryas that began at that time, researchers say. The idea that Earth experienced an asteroid or comet impact at the start of the Younger Dryas has been controversial, in part because there is no smoking-gun impact crater left behind as with other known events in our planet's past. But researchers say it's common for space rocks to disintegrate in the heat of a planet's atmosphere before they can reach the ground.

[url]http://www.dailygalaxy.com/my_weblog/2011/12/are-we-entering-the-danger-zone-the-solar-systems-250-million-year-orbit-through-the-milky-way.html[ /url]

Professor William Napier and Dr Janaki Wickramasinghe completed computer simulations of the motion of the Sun in our outer spiral-arm location in the Milky Way that revealed a regular oscillation through the central galactic plane, where the surrounding dust clouds are the densest. The solar system is a non-trivial object, so its gravitational effects set off a far-reaching planetoid-pinball machine which often ends with comets being hurled into the intruding system.

Many of the ricocheted rocks collide with planets on their way through our system, including Earth. Impact craters recorded worldwide show correlations with the ~37 million year-cycle of these journeys through the galactic plane - including the vast impact craters thought to have put an end to the dinosaurs two cycles ago.

Almost exactly two cycles ago, in fact. The figures show that we're very close to another danger zone, when the odds of asteroid impact on Earth go up by a factor of ten. Ten times a tiny chance might not seem like much, but when "Risk of Extinction" is on the table that single order of magnitude can look much more imposing.

Researchers at the Cardiff Centre of Astrobiology have built a computer model of the Solar System’s journey around the Milky Way. Instead of making a perfectly flat orbit around the galaxy’s centre, it actually bounces up and down. At times it can rise right up out of the galactic plane – getting 100 light years above – and then dip down below it. They calculated that we pass through the plane every 35 to 40 million years.
And this time period seems to match dangerous periods of impacts on Earth. According to the number and age of craters on Earth, we seem to suffer increased impacts every 36 million years. Uh oh, that’s a match.
In fact, one of these high points of comet activity would have been 65 million years – the same time that an asteroid strike wiped out the dinosaurs.
And here’s the bad news. According to their calculations, the Solar System will be passing through the galactic plane in the near future, and should see an increased risk of impact. Our risk of impact could increase 10-fold.

Read more: www.universetoday.com...

edit on 19-2-2013 by theabsolutetruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 06:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by CaticusMaximus
I posted this on another thread just a little while ago, but I think it bears reposting here:

"From this link, going back to 2005, we have this progression in meteor sightings:

463 Events found in 2005
517 Events found in 2006
588 Events found in 2007
726 Events found in 2008
694 Events found in 2009
951 Events found in 2010
1628 Events found in 2011
2220 Events found in 2012

And 377 Events found in 2013, and 2865 by years end (we are 48 days into the year, with is 13.15% of the year. If this rate continues, it will reach about ~2865 meteors by the end of the year.)"

Thats a significant increase in meteor sightings, and would support the theory we are starting to move through a debris field.

Of course the evidence will be poo-pooed citing "increased reporting, same frequency" by some, but we can all make up our own minds Im sure.

That's more than 200% increase in 7 years. The increased reporting because of more people explanation doesn't fit because I don't think our population increased 200% in 7 years.

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 08:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by BigBrotherDarkness
Any asteroid field that is in an orbit will pass this way again; the ones that didn't hit the first time; quite possibly hit the next time around. Interestingly enough...after 15 years of amicable tracking of near earth objects the program is suddenly shut down and deemed classified.

A recent U.S. military policy decision now explicitly states that observations by hush-hush government spacecraft of incoming bolides and fireballs are classified secret and are not to be released, SPACE.com has learned.

Government shuts down use of tracking near asteroids

Makes me think of what they learned form the 1930's War of the Worlds broadcast of aliens landing...being put into action...if it's not reported but it happens then who's going to panic? Sorting out the mass casualty is simpler than sorting casualty amid chaos.

If Russians knew that one was going to hit; would so many people have been strolling around business as usual? I don't think so. I can see staying quiet until SHTF because there's a chance SHTF happens somewhere else instead so why get everyone worked up in a frenzy? Seems to be a logical and rational assumption to me.

They want it secret because they intend to use it.
There are many layers of authority just like in Russian dolls. Those on top have an idea of using asteroids instead of nuclear weapons. They start secret project and impose it on everyone's back, and people must work in blind faith.
Also, they are shifting the focus of fear from Communism to cosmos. The foundations have been laid for a long time now. It is funny, because those who invented alien danger, are in constant denial aliens exist. It will be highly patriotic to work cheap and sacrifice for the higher goal of defending against alien asteroids and also colonizing Mars with automates while pretending that human crews are being trained to do so.

Plans of conquering space (not EXPLORING) are being made 500 years ahead. Everything is tuned to technological advance as fast as possible. World Wars were caused to accelerate this goal, Cold War too, Arms Race, Space Race, and now Danger from Asteroids and Aliens.

I recently watched on YouTube, World War II in HD Color. You'd think this series was about human beings and their suffering. But, no! The whole series is about advancement in technology. Documentaries are about airplanes, tanks, ships - the true heroes of WW II !!!!

And now the true heroes are Curiosity and Voyager!
I am really curious why was a probe (Dawn) sent to asteroid belt?
What is the real reason? But they just decided not to tell us... Although we should trust them and work hard to finance this dark secret.

Sorry for the rant

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 06:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Flavian

What if this is the real reason for the shutting down of the Shuttle Program.... perhaps NASA knows more than they have led us to believe with all of their up-frontness. It seems to have been the perfect time to stop flying them since they would be sitting ducks in an asteroid/meteor cloud. I know, they simply outlived their usefulness, which could be interpreted as NASA has always found flaws in the shuttles but has been rolling the dice for too long now or NASA knows internally that there is a real threat to the viability of shuttles in orbit coming up and decided to shield the public from it as it would raise the publics awareness of cosmic events to unprecedented levels.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join