It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are we about to enter another Younger Dryas?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+30 more 
posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 07:49 PM
link   
Scientists have compelling evidence that a meteorite storm hit the earth roughly 12,500 years ago, and is likely to have been responsible for the extinction of a prehistoric people and giant animals including mammoths.
Melt glas from this period has been found on every continent which denotes a meteor shower of immense proportions which literally peppered the entire planet from top to bottom.

www.dailymail.co.uk... lisation.html

Is this event cyclical?

The Maya and other cultures talk of huge cycles which bring destruction upon earth and many describe fire falling from the sky in these prophecies. Are they realy prophecies or just observations passed down from ancient cultures?

Now 12.5 thousand years after the last cataclysmic event we see an increase in meteor activity, is it just coincidence or is there something more to it?

A Meteor Crater in Arizona is the legacy of a collision that happened 50,000 years ago, divide 50,000 by 12.500 and you get a nice round figure of......4...........was this crater part of the same cyclical event?
There were also two more large craters discovered that could possibly date from this time, one in Maharashtra, India and another in Odessa, Texas.

www.telegraph.co.uk...

There is a massive impact crater in Amguid, Algeria which has been dated to 100,000 years, again a multiple of 12.5 thousand years.

en.wikipedia.org...

Another 200,000 years ago in Pretoria Salt Pan, South Africa, again a multiple of 12.5 thousand years.

en.wikipedia.org...

Are these just the ones that have been discovered so far? maby there are many more that we havent found or maby there are some that we arent being told about, are these just pieces of a giant puzzle?

In the light of recent events , is the earth about to pass through a belt of galactic debris? an event that happens once every 12.5 thousand years?

edit on 17-2-2013 by auraelium because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 08:03 PM
link   

Scientists have compelling evidence that a meteorite storm hit the earth roughly 12,500 years ago, and is likely to have been responsible for the extinction of a prehistoric people and giant animals including mammoths.

I'm glad this has finally gotten a serious look-see. I've heard this postulated several times, and in some instances, being poo-pooed by those who supposedly know better. It's good to see some amount of vindication.

In the light of recent evensts, Is the earth about to pass through a belt of galactic debris ? an event that happens once every 12.5 thousand years?

At this point, I suppose we can only speculate. Maybe as scientists study this, they'll have a better idea of whether or not there is a cycle at play here.

S&F.
edit on 2/17/2013 by Klassified because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 08:11 PM
link   
I`ve always felt that they mayan calander thingy wasn``t a prediction that the world would end on dec 12th, but that dec 12th was when we were going to be entering into something that was going to last for many months and not just one day, like a cosmic debris field for example, or some type of cosmic magnetic anamoly.
It`s going to be an interesting year.

ETA: I lost faith in the "experts" when I read the preliminary findings from WISE

WISE is a NASA mission, launched in December 2009, which scanned the entire celestial sky at four infrared wavelengths about 1.5 times. It captured more than 2.7 million images of objects in space, ranging from faraway galaxies to asteroids and comets relatively close to Earth.

The preliminary results released 2 years ago say:

So far, the mission's discoveries of previously unknown objects include an ultra-cold star or brown dwarf, 20 comets, 134 near-Earth objects (NEOs), and more than 33,000 asteroids in the main belt between Mars and Jupiter.

Now, these "experts" have been telling us for many many years that the earth is relatively safe from contact with any large space object or body,but just look at all the things in that preliminary report that they just discovered and didn`t even know existed until 2 years ago.
How many more things are still out there that they still don`t know about? and how many of those unknown things could be heading right for us?

They said a more complete report would be released in march 2012, but i haven`t been able to find it. They said a complete and final analysis will take a "couple of years"

www.nasa.gov...

edit on 17-2-2013 by Tardacus because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 08:17 PM
link   
reply to post by auraelium

Good observations, thinking.
And oh yeah, it's all pretty obvious.

S&F

+4 more 
posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 08:21 PM
link   
I posted this on another thread just a little while ago, but I think it bears reposting here:

"From this link, going back to 2005, we have this progression in meteor sightings:

463 Events found in 2005
517 Events found in 2006
588 Events found in 2007
726 Events found in 2008
694 Events found in 2009
951 Events found in 2010
1628 Events found in 2011
2220 Events found in 2012

And 377 Events found in 2013, and 2865 by years end (we are 48 days into the year, with is 13.15% of the year. If this rate continues, it will reach about ~2865 meteors by the end of the year.)"

Thats a significant increase in meteor sightings, and would support the theory we are starting to move through a debris field.

Of course the evidence will be poo-pooed citing "increased reporting, same frequency" by some, but we can all make up our own minds Im sure.

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 08:24 PM
link   

i think you left off some zeros.......

Its also important to note that 12.5 thousand years is roughly how long it takes our solar system to make 1/2 a revolution around the Galaxy.

the milky way galaxy is aprox 100,000 light years across,
for us to travel 1/2 way around we would be going 50,000 light years in 12,500 years,

i dont think your model works, unless we are travelling faster than light

xploder

edit on 17/2/13 by XPLodER because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 08:26 PM
link   
Very thought provoking post OP...S & F for you.

I can agree that I think things happen in great cycles and we modern folks have been keeping track of things for such a short amount of time, we don't actually know all the facts, events or time cycles.

We know that our axis procession takes roughly 26,000 years and a lot of people thought that was what the Mayan's were associating with. I was never sold on that idea. I have never actually been sold that the dating we used for translating the Mayan calendar was accurate, but that is another topic.

I think most cultures probably kept track of "bad times" in an effort to predict when the next one was coming around... so, to me, it is not out of the question that ancient civilizations would try to mark times when things went crappy and try to predict if and when they would do so again.

The Younger Dryas was an interesting time for sure. Coincidentally...or maybe not...this was about the same time frame that Gobekli-Tepe was being built in southern Anatolia. Were those people trying to mark an event or pay homage to whatever spirit they thought did "this thing"? To me, Gobekli-Tepe is an enigma wrapped in a mystery...fascinating archaeological site...my top pick. There are theories they were keeping track of stars or other celestial bodies...interesting isn't it?

I think climate change is here and we are still somewhat in denial...it's just to painful to consider. I am not going to argue about the causes of it...man made...natural...or celestial...irrelevant. Our world is changing right before our eyes and it is pretty amazing to behold. Could it be from passing through some thing or area in space? I have to say maybe cause I just do not know for sure.

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 08:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by XPLodER

i think you left off some zeros.......

Its also important to note that 12.5 thousand years is roughly how long it takes our solar system to make 1/2 a revolution around the Galaxy.

the milky way galaxy is aprox 100,000 light years across,
for us to travel 1/2 way around we would be going 50,000 light years in 12,500 years,

I think he means the precession of the equinoxes (or perihelion precession?). ...so what might that "correction" do for his model? (It does fit the math.)

edit on 17/2/13 by soficrow because: (no reason given)

edit on 17/2/13 by soficrow because: tinkering

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 08:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by auraelium

The Maya also talked about cycles in which the12.5 thousand year mark was significant point in their calander.

Just want to clarify that it takes 225 - 250 millions years to complete a solar year. 12.5k is half the distance from the center of the galaxy about, and about half the time of a full procession of the equinoxes.
edit on 2/17/2013 by CaticusMaximus because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 09:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by CaticusMaximus

The Maya also talked about cycles in which the12.5 thousand year mark was significant point in their calander.

Just want to clarify that it takes 225 - 250 millions years to complete a solar year. 12.5k is half the distance from the center of the galaxy about, and about half the time of a full procession of the equinoxes.

Thanks for pointing that out. I edited it out that altogether, its not realy that important , i dont want to get the thread bogged down on the whole Maya thing anyway, its too much of a can of worms, but the jist of my point is still the same, that ancient cultures believed in great cycles of time and with emphasis on cleansing by fire and death and rebirth.
edit on 17-2-2013 by auraelium because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 09:13 PM
link   
Thank you OP a great find, SnF...

This needs attention, it has come to point where, it's not to be taken lightly anymore.

But why hasn't it become official that we are approaching a meteor storm or am I missing something here?
Can anyone verify this?

Edit: I have come across the link from the other thread, it seems official folks. We are definitively appraoching a meteor shower.

EarthSky’s meteor shower guide for 2013

Peace
edit on 17-2-2013 by InnerPeace2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 09:24 PM
link   
The belt of galactic debris is a possibility if it is in line with the black hole at the center of the galaxy. I'm not sure if that theory has been disproved or not, but yeah. It was part of the 2012 lore.
edit on 17-2-2013 by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 09:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by CaticusMaximus

You're correct on the solar year and the equinoxes, but the center of the galaxy is 26k light years away, not miles or years.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 04:52 AM
link   
I just want to say that just because December 21 2012 was uneventful, doesn't mean that the mayans weren't watching something. I'd say that if they were off a few months or even a year, it would still be a good prediction for a society with such limited technology trying to predict a date that far into the future.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 05:16 AM
link   

You make a good point.

But, just to play devil's advocate here.
There really does not seem to be enough information to say we are entering into some destructive cycle. Yes it does appear that meteor activity is increasing. A few craters is really not enough to establish a pattern. Until more information and evidence can be gathered, it would be premature and irresponsible for NASA to release a statement that would just serve to cause panic.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 05:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Tardacus

They only know of about 10% of the threat to Earth from Space (from the Head of NASA's Near Earth Observation Team).

There is no mystery or conspiracy on this though, they are quite open and up front about it. Quite simply, they freely admit to not having the technology or capacity to identify more than this before now. There are several new satellites planned for launch in the next 5 years or so to try to change this threat evaluation level. Very basically, they have only had the technology to spot the large asteroids before now that are ELE's (and there is a possibility that some of those have been missed). Any that are as small as the one that hit Russia on Friday are simply too small to spot (at the moment) until they are right on top of us.

In other words, if we are all going to die from an ELE then we will have advanced warning (not sure i would want it!). On the other hand, if a city is going to be wiped out, we may only have a very small period of warning (minutes of hours).

As to the thread in general, it is an interesting premise. However, i would caution that such an asteroid belt would surely have been spotted by something? We do change our angle of rotation and our orbit though as we pass around the Milky Way so possibly something is hidden until we reach a certain stage in our orbit? It could be something that only rarely comes into place, hence us not knowing about it.

This can be loosely translated as "i have no idea but it is a very interesting premise!".

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 05:37 AM
link   
reply to post by watchitburn

But increase in meteor/asteroid activity would explain www.shtfplan.com...

And the fact that politicians do not seem to care that much about environment for real to really change something. What if some already knew there is no real reason to care about carbon dioxide since there are bigger things that is coming that will make those problem seem like a cakewalk.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 06:22 AM
link   

whoa there. The numbers 50000, 100,000 and 200,000 are merely rounded to the nearest 10k. When you talk of hundreds of thousands you round to the nearest 100k. All due to margins or error.

You are contriving to make rounded numbers match something which MUST be accurate to days !!!!!!! if its about recurrent meteor showers impacting the earth.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 06:28 AM
link   
Meteors have always plagued the Earth. They indeed do extensive impact but it has yet to result in the End of Earth. Maybe our Ancestors are out their in Space saving us and Nasa does not want to inform us of it!

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 08:20 AM
link   
reply to post by mmitsch7

Meteors (rocks that burn all up in air) are cool and only very, very rarely cause problems (like the high energy air-bursts). Meteorites (those rocks that hit dirt) are very cool, lucrative and rarely cause problems.

That aside, it sure seems we are cruising through an unknown cloud of rocks. Let's hope it's small, sparse and the rocks are teensy. The arguments that it's business as usual in the skies falls somewhat flat when the data is actually looked at. It isn't chicken little time yet... but where does chicken little come from anyway?

But in complete, deadpan, grave seriousness... my sources tell me it's all going to be fine. Just so its known that these sources reside in my ample intestines.

Interesting times... darned Chinese curses.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join