It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

the METEORS ARE REAL!! i just saw 2 miami fl

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 01:47 AM
link   
Damn, I went to bed early, about 20 minutes prior. I wonder if I could have seen that if I'd stayed up? The Tampa Bay area might be a bit out of the viewing range, though.

Originally posted by defcon5
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

I've seen them pretty frequently here in Florida, maybe because the we are close to sea level and the equator, between large bodies of ocean, with little in the way of high altitude terrain to obscure the horizon. Over the years I've seen about a dozen or so in all sorts of colors:yellow, red, blue, green, and mostly white. Its most common to see them around the time that we are approaching a meteor shower.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

Yup, I'd surmise that the flatter-than-a-pancake terrain down here gives us an advantage for seeing a bit more horizon to horizon than more varied or mountainous terrain does. I've seen probably as many as you over the last 20 some-odd years, seeing less as I get older and stay indoors more at night.
One of the most awe-inspiring was one in the '90's, during a meteor shower. I don't remember the year, somewhere between 1996 and 1998, but it was during the Geminids. My mother had joined some of her friends for a meteor watching party on a beach about 20-25 miles from home, while I babysat my brother. He & I camped out on the lawn chairs in the back yard & watch the shower, and we saw the most stunning slow-moving fireball that actually changed color -- red, blue, green & white (I don't remember the color order it was anymore) We called it the "Crayola Meteor"
My mother & her friends saw the same one at the same time. A lot of people saw that one, it was even mentioned on the news. I tried googling it, but there's nothing online about it. That disappointed me, I was hoping to find something to read for nostalgia's sake

I've also taken cruises, and I can assure people that once you're well away from light pollution, the skies are a WHOLE LOT more active than you think. Artificial light drowns out SO much for such a wide area around it. Even between meteor showers, it's a veritable light show out there on the open water. There's nothing like a bunch of vacationers crowding a deck at the bow to ogle the gloriously uninhibited sky they can't see back home.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 01:50 AM
link   
I found some recent footage of the Florida meteor sightings for ya,

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 03:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by SonoftheSun

I've seen a lot of meteors.

I've seen one very large fireball. But I'm just one set of eyes and I was in one location and I happened to be looking in the right direction (it was low on the horizon).

I witnessed one with a very loud boom that shook everything. In North East, PA, and I was outside with my mom a crossed the yard and we were talking when it went off. My first thought was something exploded, but nothing around here but hills and farmlands, so then I thought an airliner may have crashed nearby. The only thing we could see was a faint trail, but witnesses who saw it fly-by described it as the Russian meteor, only quite a bit smaller I'm assuming (yet large enough to cause a huge boom that shook the ground). I am going to guess this one was between 2003-2006 and was filmed at a baseball game in Baltimore, MD or somewhere in Maryland. I recall that from the news hours later.

Other than that, only a few shooting stars a year.

(They didn't describe it as "the Russian meteor", witnesses described what I saw in the vids from Russia, but it didn't cause any damage, and wasn't as large. I believe it was school bus sized.)
edit on 2/18/13 by SixX18 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 03:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by ooYODAoo
i would say maybe 15-20 minutes ago at the street light of le jeune avenue and nw 7th st, 2 meteors almost caused a multiple vehicle car accident!..and i got front row seats to witness both of them!.......

I find this so puzzling myself too. If you should see some local news articles about it, can you come back and post links? Would love to see them.

I am very unintelligent about science and astronomy, so I won't be able to explain very well what I am about to say, but some research on the internet could probably turn up a little better info than mine. Well, first of all, I did already check, and we actually are in the middle of a meteor shower that lasts till the end of February. But, as you said, usually you don't hear about multiple huge fireballs, so that is the real stumper.

But what I was going to tell you all was (if you don't remember it), back in either 2000 or 2001, we were scheduled for one of those regularly scheduled meteor showers that hit at certain times of the year. As, I said, I don't remember if it was 2000 or 2001, and I don't remember which month either, but I do remember it was very cold, so it must have been winter (though no snow on the ground, so not sure if it was winter). There was something special about this shower, though, and the scientists were aware, in advance, that it was going to be spectacular. Supposedly like you had never seen, and it wouldn't be that specatular again for decades, (maybe a century, I don't remember).

I love to watch those things, unfortunately it was really foggy here, so I was very upset. My husband said not to worry, we would drive until we found a place that wasn't foggy (isn't he great?). We live in central Indiana. We drove down to a state park that borders central/southern Indiana, and miraculously it was suddenly clear. It was really late, like maybe 1 in the morning. Really only campers were supposed to be there, but we snuck in and parked by one of the small lakes in the park. We wrapped up in a sleeping bag and laid on the hood of the car to watch the show.

I have been watching meteor showers for 40 years, and I have never in my life seen anything like it. It was almost like a cartoon it was so surreal. Now, we did not see any giant fireballs like the one in Russia, or hear any sonic booms, so I want to make that clear. However, there were so many meteors streaking across the sky (from all different directions) that you couldn't look fast enough to see them all. Any of you who watch meteor showers regularly know you usually have to pick the spot in the sky they are supposed to be coming out of, you have to strain your eyes and wait several minutes or longer, then maybe you will get lucky and see a few small, far off ones if you have waited long enough. Not this time. They were everywhere, it was constant, they were large and bright, and several of them even made a hissing sound we could easily hear. Like I said, almost like a cartoon or a fantasy.

So, unusual things are possible without it meaning anything scary, but still I find what is happening now a little scary. The reason is, like I said before, scientists were telling people in advance about that shower I was talking about (that is how I knew it was worth driving for). Scientists have made no mention of expecting these large fireballs. They are claiming it isn't unusual for it to happen periodically, but if all these reports are true (Russia, Cuba, California, and now Florida), I find that very strange in and of itself, and even stranger that we are not getting a sufficient comment from someone acknowledging that.
edit on 18-2-2013 by gidwa because: Well, forget the request for a news link. Now that my comment posted I see that the one above me has a link.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 03:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by gidwa

Originally posted by ooYODAoo
i would say maybe 15-20 minutes ago at the street light of le jeune avenue and nw 7th st, 2 meteors almost caused a multiple vehicle car accident!..and i got front row seats to witness both of them!.......

I find this so puzzling myself too. If you should see some local news articles about it, can you come back and post links? Would love to see them.

Originally posted by ArchaicDesigns
I found some recent footage of the Florida meteor sightings for ya,

edit on 2/18/13 by SixX18 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 03:28 AM
link   
i've seen a meteoroid bigger then that one they fall out of the sky all the time. The more you watch the sky the more you will see. With some days better than others.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 03:35 AM
link   
"But what I was going to tell you all was (if you don't remember it), back in either 2000 or 2001, we were scheduled for one of those regularly scheduled meteor showers that hit at certain times of the year. As, I said, I don't remember if it was 2000 or 2001, and I don't remember which month either, but I do remember it was very cold, so it must have been winter (though no snow on the ground, so not sure if it was winter). There was something special about this shower, though, and the scientists were aware, in advance, that it was going to be spectacular. Supposedly like you had never seen, and it wouldn't be that specatular again for decades, (maybe a century, I don't remember)......."

Still not positive this is the right shower, but I found an article that makes me 99% sure it was.
Jaw Dropping Leonids

Hope some of you saw that shower. It was amazing.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 03:51 AM
link   
I'm currently in the central valley region of California and in the past three nights I've seen 4 significant meteors. I'm an avid stargazer and I'm used to seeing the tiny white/greenish/blue streaks flying through the sky but previous to these last three days I had only seen one larger green bright green meteor and that was around 5 years ago. The first one I saw was on Friday night while coming out of the local Costco in Visalia, Ca. It was pretty big, bright green light brighter than any star or aircraft short a low-flying helicopter with a searchlight, made a C pattern in the sky with streak and all and attracted the attention of a few other customers that were around the exit as I was. The second happened Saturday evening while I was hanging out with a friend in Fresno about 40 miles north of Visalia and she and I both saw it. It was the same brightness, color, and size but had a shorter streak than the one from the night previous. The third happened around 11pm that same night as I was exiting my car after getting back home. Same general size, brightness and color but this one had a longer streak. The fourth one happened around 4 hours ago while I was outside taking out some garbage. Again, same color, size and brightness but a small barely noticeable streak. It's been pretty awesome seeing these 4 rare events happening in such a small time span and every time I saw one I would get all giddy and excited but at the same time concerned because it's such a rare event that should not be occurring with such frequency.

Edit: I would also like to add that the first meteor that I saw on Friday night happened around 7:30pmish and 8:00pmish. Just saw a video of a meteor streaking across the Bay Area which occurred around the same time so it could possibly have been the same rock flying around.
edit on 2/18/2013 by Daedalus24 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 04:16 AM
link   
reply to post by ooYODAoo

proof or it didnt happen

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 04:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Trillium

That sure looks like it's moving pretty slow. I saw one here in Oregon about two monthgs ago. It was bright green and moving very fast. I wish I had time to grab my camera. it was exciting anyway!

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 04:39 AM
link   
There was also a similar one in the UK a couple of weeks ago. I haven't looked so it may already have been posted on here but here's the vid.

Very similar to the one in Miami. They certainly do seem to becoming more frequent.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 05:17 AM
link   
hey guys, i have read through all of the comments and i am amazed at how quickly some of you did your investigations to confirm that i was telling the truth.

i work for a very small police department out in the middle of nowhere, i dont want to give out to much info due to the fact that this is the internet and all but the population is about 500..thats it...and the most lights within the community is a couple of fading lamp posts scattered throughout the street last night we kept getting calls of "flares" being shot up in the sky.

the calls were so frequent that we even partnered up with miami dade county pd, because they were getting similar calls of flares being shot in the sky..

the crazy part to all these "flares" calls is that there weren't any subjects on scene at any of the supposed locations the search was called off when flares calls came from a coastal city nearly 100 miles away, thats when an officer went over the radio and said "i think people are seeing shooting stars, unfounded"

some of you guys mentioned that now more and more people are looking towards the skies, although this might be true in some cases, in my personal experience i wasnt even remotley thinking about this, it just appeared and i couldn't ignore it.

for those of you still posting "proof or it didnt happen" here you go

channel 7 news video of "bright light" over florida

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 05:19 AM
link   

Did you record it?

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 05:38 AM
link   
I saw a shooting star about 1 am on Friday night (so Saturday morning). I'm not going into end of times discussion because that's just far reaching speculation without taking other factors in mind. Anyway I think it's all cool, giants rocks flying by Earth. Pretty damn neat if you ask me.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 06:19 AM
link   

Sure you haven't seen those rare occurrences of fireballs? Shooting stars and rare fireballs are what we seen all the time.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 06:34 AM
link   
ok.. let me make this as clear as I can ............

we-are-not-talking about a little shooting star................from what the OP stated... I'm thinking he saw one like that that smacked into Russia ................................

377 are little shooting stars in the UPPER atomosphere... compared to the vids I've already seen..

we're talking 50ft chuck of ROCK(s), on fire shooting across the sky UNDER cloud elevation & smashing into the ground or air bursting over head with ...

33x the engery released of Hiroshima ~!!!

SO STOP WATERING THIS EVEN DOWN ~!!!

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 06:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Komodo

Please link the vids?

As to the OP there's nothing to be alarmed about.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 06:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Deaf Alien
reply to post by Komodo

Please link the vids?

As to the OP there's nothing to be alarmed about.

A firery death is nothing to be alarmed about?

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 06:57 AM
link   
reply to post by bigdohbeatdown

Well you need to prove it?

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 06:58 AM
link   
This one is from Cuba, February 16

edit on 18-2-2013 by Hellas because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join