It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I'm a felon, I've served my time...can I have my rights back please?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 02:46 PM
link   
I believe in second chances and that you should have your rights back. I kinda feel sorry for these felons that have served their time, get out of jail and find out how hard it is to get a fresh start. Its so hard for them to get a job cause these days every employer wants to know everything about your past. Your credit history, your criminal record and their stupid drug tests that just about all jobs require. What ever happened to filling out an application, interviewing and getting the job?

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by onequestion
reply to post by 19KTankCommander

Your missing the point.

Essentially what i am saying is that the US government only applys rights to those it deems worthy of those rights.

Do you not see the inherit danger related to this philosophy?

What if this was happening under a different context?

edit to add, we dont live in the wild west anymore so why would i even consider that a possibility?

There is that possibility, and such as labeling everyone that doesn't think as the Government wants them to think a terrorist with end results that we seem to apply to anyone with that label.

In your case where do we draw the line? Where do we say you can have your rights back, but this other violent criminal cannot? A much worst situation than yours is with people are officially labeled a sex offender but are really not one. I had a neighbor that the rest of the neighborhood found out he was a registered sex offender, and all the wives were in an up roar over...well talking to the guy who was in his 40s it happened back when he was 19 and had a 16 year old girl friend that was sexually involved with him...the girl's parents didn't like it so bam he is now a sex offender the rest of his life. How would anyone want to live that poor bastard's life, but once again where do you draw the line.

My only suggestion for you to have a life of normality is to maybe become a citizen of another country and start over....

I'm not an opponent of the one mistake equals a lifetime labeling.....

edit on 17-2-2013 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 02:48 PM
link   
reply to post by BlesUTP

You were convicted of a felony which is considered breaking a "social contract", not a misdemeanor or a violation. If your get your rights back that sets up a precedent to give rights back to thousands of criminals.

Your not addressing the issue of the limit of authority of the government.

What makes you so special? Would give rights back to a serial rapist? A murder? A child molester? I would certainly hope not.

Can you add more context? I didnt kill or rape anyone i got into a fight....

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 02:49 PM
link   
I guess you need to be more informative in what you did, I don't agree that the goverment favors just certian groups. I spent 20 years in the Active army and I worked hard every day, I dont get any special rights, in fact I am working my fingers to the bones every day just to make ends meet, no speacial treatment here.

Do I agree with the system No, but my point was at least they updated from being hung, Currently I have a nefew that is in Jail, do I agree with that, yes, why, drugs, threats, beating of poilce, evadeing police, lying ect, big list of charges, do I thing he should be in Jail, YES, he is young and needs to learn that we as a society don't need to baby sit him everyday, he needs to grow up and except responsiblites for his action which in this case will be for a few years.

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 02:49 PM
link   

if this was 200 years ago

we're not 200 years ago ...

we're all doing mistakes.

OP paid the price of his mistake, he deserve his rights back, simple.

If OP keep repeating the same mistake, back to jail.
If OP understood and took the time to understand, and managed to get on the right tracks, then he deserve to go back to a normal life.

we're all able to learn from our mistakes, somes want to be better individuals, somes just want to stay in the wrong.

but its just my 2 cent
edit on 17-2-2013 by AnonyWarp because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 02:52 PM
link   
reply to post by onequestion

Is there any way to prove that you aren't still a violent offender?

I don't know you, outside of your own word. However, by your own word, you were a violent person who committed a violent offense. Whether you say you have changed or not, I have no reason to believe you have, until something in your actions proves such.

If you can prove your rehabilitation, maybe through a psychiatric exam, or some kind of interview, then I am all for you having back your right to own a gun, or to get a job without identifying that you were imprisoned for a violent offense. Just because you "served the time" doesn't mean you necessarily learned your lesson though. There are plenty of "repeat offenders," who do the time for a crime, get out, and just end up right back in for committing a new crime.

How exactly do we know you're not one of those people?

I think that, more than anything, is why your rights are limited. Until the state can satisfactorily prove your rehabilitation, I don't think it is smart to allow you to do certain things. Like owning a gun, or working around children.

Consider who shoulders the blame if you get a job as armed security somewhere, and end up shooting an innocent? You go back to prison, but the people who let you out, who let you get hired, who let you conceal and carry; their conscience bears the weight of your actions just as much, if not more so, than you.

Don't take this the wrong way though. You might really be a rehabilitated, changed, and wonderful person now. Maybe you did learn your lesson while you were in prison. But until you can prove it, the state will side against you, because there's always the possibility you will commit another crime.

~ Wandering Scribe

edit on 17/2/13 by Wandering Scribe because: spelling

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 02:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

Well said. I have a 13 year old felony of Driving on a Suspended License due to a previous misdemeanor DUI charge 13 years ago. Even though I have walked the straight and narrow since, I am still grouped together with felons that have committed some very serious crime. This adds validity to your point that not all felonies are created equal.

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 02:53 PM
link   
reply to post by miss_sky

I believe in second chances and that you should have your rights back. I kinda feel sorry for these felons that have served their time, get out of jail and find out how hard it is to get a fresh start. Its so hard for them to get a job cause these days every employer wants to know everything about your past. Your credit history, your criminal record and their stupid drug tests that just about all jobs require. What ever happened to filling out an application, interviewing and getting the job?

Not to invoke a sense of victimization as i do take personally responsibility for the position i am in, but i also inherently understand that apart of the punishment i have been undergoing and will continue to undergo for the rest of my life is unjust from the perspective of the person experiencing this.

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 02:54 PM
link   

It is disgusting, true. Once your time is done all punishment should be done.

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Do I agree with the system No, but my point was at least they updated from being hung,

When do we update again and elevate our ourselves to a higher form of justice?

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 02:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Wandering Scribe

How exactly do we know you're not one of those people?

And how do we know YOU are not a pycho killer, or a child molester ?
Can you prove it to ATS ?

OP paid his mistake, only his future actions can change his path in life.

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 02:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Wandering Scribe

I don't know you, outside of your own word. However, by your own word, you were a violent person who committed a violent offense. Whether you say you have changed or not, I have no reason to believe you have, until something in your actions proves such.

What else other then having it not happen again can prove such a thing?

I think that, more than anything, is why your rights are limited. Until the state can satisfactorily prove your rehabilitation, I don't think it is smart to allow you to do certain things. Like owning a gun, or working around children.

But the only thing that satisfactory proves such a thing is my death.

Can we apply this reasoning to terrorism. How do i know your not a terrorist unless i watch your every move? Oh wait...

Don't take this the wrong way though. You might really be a rehabilitated, changed, and wonderful person now. Maybe you did learn your lesson while you were in prison. But until you can prove it, the state will side against you, because there's always the possibility you will commit another crime.

Im taking it in the spirit of debate.

edit on 17-2-2013 by onequestion because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Explanation: S&F!

I would give you back all your rights as by rights you have indeed served your time for the crime.

However this is a steep policitical, social and and legal hump to surmount and I advise leaving the gun issues aside for a moment and just focus on getting your voting rights back and from there all your other rights should flow accordingly ... but I personally see no issue with ex criminals owning guns as there are far nastier diy weapons that can be constructed with off the shelf products and also one can construct ones own guns and therefor that rights issue is indeed inalienable

All your rights not listed specifically in the constitution are reserved to you under the 10th amendment OK and that may be your best avenue of attacking the horrendous situation you currently find youself in.

Personal Disclosure: As an Australian I know that all those Australians incarcerated in Australia are made to vote because it is not only all Australians right to vote but also our obligation to do so.

It hasn't corrupted our society ... oh wait hang on a minute ... never mind ... we are all so scroomed!

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 03:02 PM
link   

You were charged by the State, not the federal government.

I've been arrested for fighting when I was 22 years of age but was not charged with a felony. (2002). I've also been incarcerated for a misdemeanor conviction unrelated to my little donnybrook as well (2004). I served on probation and passed on time.

You'll have to excuse me because I don't know you, but I fail to see how you were charged with a felony over "a fight". You must have either done some serious damage, or made some mistakes in regard to your legal defense.

Just FYI. I have little sympathy for most folks. Don't take it too personal. Not everybody believes others should have second chances and those are the ones you'll have to convince to make any real changes. I'm in favor of more harsh penalties, even for the ones I was convicted of. Only one I'm not in favor of incarcerating is drug users.

edit on 17-2-2013 by BlesUTP because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 03:06 PM
link   

What “rights” do you want back? The right to keep and bear arms? Voting privileges?

My personal feeling is this – If a person has been convicted of a violent felony resulting in the injury of another human being, that person should NEVER be allowed to own a firearm again. You’ve proven that you are capable and willing to commit violence against others, so why should you be trusted? Currently, federal law is on my side.

Fool me once – shame on you. Fool me twice – shame on me.

With regard to NON VIOLENT felons, I think there should be some discretion. Obviously this is just my opinion and has absolutely no impact on the law; I don’t see the law changing.

edit on 17-2-2013 by seabag because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Such as... should the government be aloud to create a crime and then by proxy constitutionally limit the perpetrator of the crime that they create?

Absolutely.

The government creates crimes and punishments according to what society wants. In theory anyways but it works for our purpose.

The government did make you aware of both the crime and the punishment and you chose to go ahead and commit the act. They did not force you to.

You can't have your cake and eat it too.

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 03:09 PM
link   
reply to post by BlesUTP

You'll have to excuse me because I don't know you, but I fail to see how you were charged with a felony over "a fight". You must have either done some serious damage, or made some mistakes in regard to your legal defense.

California's judicial system is sickening, i dont even want to get into that in this thread. The reason i was charged with a felony is because the victim had his cheek bone break. I hit him once. The other factor was i was registered with the athletic commission as a professional fighter and that got out during the case.

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by onequestion

Your missing the point.

Essentially what i am saying is that the US government only applys rights to those it deems worthy of those rights.
that's not a right...its a privilege...and you are correct the government can decide if they will obey them or not...in most cases they wont.

"Rights" are a misnomer in this country because they are treated and regulated as privileges. The foundation of this FACT is taxes. You HAVE to pay them...or you are a criminal...if you are criminal your rights become privileges and can be regulated. If you pay your taxes you are supporting the system and there for treated as a government "asset".

But your main premise is 100% correct. The government dictates the laws/legislation that define crimes that create criminals that allow them to treat their "rights" as privileges...in which they are at that point privileges...so "rights" is a misnomer...

just as "own" is a misnomer when people say they "own" their land/homes...

The government could technically legally pass a law making breathing illegal...and from that point everyone is a criminal and they could legally strip this country of its constitutional rights...and regulate them as privileges...either that or you are dumb enough to obey the law and are dead...in which case your rights still don't matter.

edit on 17-2-2013 by Sly1one because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 03:11 PM
link   
reply to post by seabag

My personal feeling is this – If a person has been convicted of a violent felony resulting in the injury of another human being, that person should NEVER be allowed to own a firearm again. You’ve proven that you are capable and willing to commit violence against others, so why should you be trusted? Currently, federal law is on my side.

Anyone is capable of violence under the right situation.
and yes i want to bear arms. I want to be able to go hunting with my family and be protected. Especially considering now the neighborhood i live in is rampant with crime.

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 03:12 PM
link   
Very thought provoking original post.

On the subject of 'rights'. As another member said "welcome to the real world", no longer are we BORN with RIGHTS, but rather we are given priveledges from the government. What can I say, it is the conspiracy of the government to have final authority over the people while giving the people the illusion of having 'rights'. You, OP, share a particularly interesting story but I assure you - Would you consider you left one prison.. For another? Comparitively speaking, your experience should leave you with the most outstanding happiness for the most simple things! Just to be able to go out and grab a quick meal whenever you want, to be able to take a shower or sleep on whatever schedule you want.. The state and federal prison system is not a system of 'rehabilitation'.. It's a gritty hell of punishment that takes most criminals and basicaly just makes them more violent BETTER criminals!

Anyhow, I always wondered why on so many job applications they ask "are you a convicted felon?" I have seen job wanted ads that say in their ad things like "no felons wanted". I have never gotten into any trouble with the law, but I still look at that and am appalled. What are people trying to do? Make it even HARDER for felons to get their life on track? I would understand if it were a daycare center or something not hiring a convicted murderer
But otherwise, there are alot of weird things like that going on.

Pretty interesting original post, but I would have to say you are living in the same world as us all, just for you it's much less of an illusion.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join