It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Huge Asteroid To Skim Past Earth At 18,641mph (TODAY!)

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by SeekerofTruth101
reply to post by xxdaniel21

If it's course was altered just by 2 degrees in its close approach to Earth at its speed, things may had been different.

Wait a sec, but wasn't its course set quite some time ago? How would a prayer sent as of a few weeks, or months ago change a course that was already set?

It doesn't just "exist" as soon as we see it.

But you're right, whoever believes, believes. That's not my place. Likewise, this isn't a forum for attacks on personal belief, like your original atheist comment

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 02:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

According to NASA TV (which I was just watching) the guy was saying its not due to be visible for another hour or so over the US ? - he was leaving to go to Goldwater or some such observatory ?

(Unless i heard wrong which is possible)

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by jessejamesxx
"Near-miss" I hate that phrase, positive spin doublespeak because of people's perceived delicate sensibilities.

/rant

haha i thought the same thing. I guess they could argue that it is a "miss" that is near to us. But you're right, they're implying it "nearly missed" like a very funny comedian said

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Thanks for your interest. However, I have no wish to turn this into a religious thread. There are other threads for it. All I posted was a simple prayer request, and to gratefully thank those who prayed on this thread.

I only replied to those whom had shown interest to know more. Disagreement does not necessarily mean apathy, only ignorance does, and thus I replied, as I will briefly reply on your further interest, so as not to derail this thread.

In religious circles, we know that God will only help those who want to help themselves. Thus, we pray when matters are beyond our knowledge and capabilities, but we must learn from our mistakes and deficiencies to grow up, to help ourselves. It is not that God will not help us or incapable of doing so. Such dependence will only lead to a crutch mentality, misusing our gift of life, and never growing up to fulfil our destiny to the stars.

I apologize to OP for this brief derailment, and hope that if any further interest in the subject, there are many far more learned and wiser than me on other threads whom would gladly share your interests.

Cheers.

edit on 15-2-2013 by SeekerofTruth101 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 02:30 PM
link   
I'm not sure if this question has been asked yet.

Has there been any mention of trailing debris behind this asteroid?

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 02:30 PM
link   
reply to post by SeekerofTruth101

Oh i have no interest, (Guess i'm unwilling to help myself) it's just the atheism comment that peaked my curiosity, really.

Anyway. This thread is over now in a way. It missed.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Oh God.....Should I celebrate it somehow?

Party, get dressed up, put up a temporary stand in the backyard and sell tickets?

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Not a problem to me. It's your life and choice.

'No atheists in foxholes' is a famous War idiom taken from real battlefields fought in mankind's history whereby soldiers of all kinds - brutal to the docile, religious or irreligious, huddled down in their foxhole trenches as artilleries or aircraft bombard their positions mercilessly for hours and days. During such time of intense bombardment, panic and fear, they all sought for the Almighty for help.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Why does Australia get to see everything? I swear, any cosmological event is only viewable from Australia.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 02:50 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

Yeah.
But they have to walk around upside down so I guess it evens out.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 03:00 PM
link   
did anyone notice that the title of this thread starts with ...

huge ass.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 03:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

*laughs* All the blood rushing to their heads helps them see better.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 03:26 PM
link   
Im 26 and my bro is 46. Today he told me thats one of the craziest things hes ever heard. Now what came to my mind was now that its happened once its going to happen again. damn the future does not look bright.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 03:35 PM
link   
reply to post by solizer

It's happened more than once. Larger than this one.
en.wikipedia.org...
We've done ok since 1947.

edit on 2/15/2013 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 03:48 PM
link   
Nothing is going to happen that has not happened before. You all need to relax.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 03:59 PM
link   
reply to post by votan

But bad things have happened before. Should that be a comforting thought?

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by IamAbeliever
I am watching the History Channel. All day it's been shows about asteroid strikes. Right now, How the Earth Was Made, it's about asteroid strikes and their effects on the planet in the past.

Up next is Mega Disasters: Asteroid Apocalypse.

Clever programming or are "they" trying to tell us something?

I've been watching it too.

I think they have this on because it is a near miss is flying by us. People are interested in the topic today, more ratings.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 04:12 PM
link   
2:12PM PST - Yeah we are all still alive! :-D

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by votan

But bad things have happened before. Should that be a comforting thought?

Is it comforting to know we are all going to die one day?? it happens to everyone

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 04:32 PM
link   
As far as you know we are all going to die, but you certainly don't know that.
I like to think my consciousness will be downloaded someday
into a new body model. But don't let me ruin you looking forward to dying some day.

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join