It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Meteorite Crashes in Russia

page: 101
<< 98  99  100    102  103  104 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 05:26 PM
link   
And now this. "They" can intercept anything. Orbital defense platforms with atomic weapons. With atoms. "They" let this one get through. To send a message to the Russians. What is the message? No Russian dressing on American salads, please. The Cold War never ended. Think about it.

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 05:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Grimpachi

Here's the quote.

www.smh.com.au...

"Divers worked there, but we didn't find anything," said spokesman Vyacheslav Ladonkin.
Advertisement
He said the ministry considered that a circular eight-metre hole in the frozen lake Chebarkul, about 60 kilometres (40 miles) from the city of Chelyabinsk, was not caused by any extraterrestrial body.

"We believe it was caused by something else," he said.

"A decision has been made to stop the search. It will not be continued today."

edit on 17-2-2013 by theabsolutetruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 05:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by buddhasystem

Originally posted by Human_Alien
They should be embedded or laying on the surface seeing they didn't disintegrate from an ultraviolet atmosphere.

What is "ultraviolet atmosphere"?

UV radiation belt is what I was inferring.

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 05:52 PM
link   

I think we can safely deduce this being a meteor seeing a 'meteor' is anything passing through space which then gets pulled into our atmosphere and heats up (IF....I got this correctly).

Not quite - You shouldn't really say "a 'meteor' is anything passing through space"... When it's in space it's a meteoroid or asteroid (or even comet). Only when one of these objects hits atmosphere, does it produce a 'meteor'.

Nor do meteoroids get "pulled in", although technically gravity does tug at them a little and alter the course slightly. However, once they have been slowed down by an atmosphere (they no longer are self-luminous as I said a few posts above) and the meteor phase is over, gravity quickly takes over as the dominant force (it was previously kinetic energy/momentum) and pulls them in.

But...by the time we saw it on video, it was technically a meteor. Right?

Yes. At the distances we are talking about, meteoroids themselves are for all intents and purposes completely invisible. It's only when they impact and ionize atmospheric molecules, that the presence of the object itself is given away. So yes, by the time it was visible on the video (or to peoples eyes) it would already be in the meteor phase.

The object (meteoroid or asteroid) causing the meteor is still called a meteoroid (or asteroid) whilst in the atmosphere, but we see a meteor.

To put it another way, we can't see meteoroids or small asteroids like this one, but we can see the effects they produce, which is mainly light, and known as a meteor/fireball/bolide.

Funny how no pieces have been found yet unless I missed the discovery today.

Actually, it's looking like the first fragments may have been found:

"We literally just finished a study, we confirm that the particles of the substance found in our expedition (UFU) in the Lake Chebarkul do have a meteorite nature", - told RIA Novosti committee member RAS Victor Grokhovsky meteorites from the Ural Federal University.

Source: Google Translate/Twitter

edit on 17-2-2013 by FireballStorm because: clarification

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 05:56 PM
link   
reply to post by theabsolutetruth

It sounds like they are covering their buts. Anything is possible I guess however a hole like that without ice fragments around it is a good sign that it wasn’t man made. I can’t blame them for calling off the search that day but that just means the search was postponed. They dove for three hours there is a time limit for dives so waiting till spring is a smart move on their part.

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 05:58 PM
link   
reply to post by FireballStorm

That link looks a bit dodgy ''a meterorite nature'', those could be from any meteorite anywhen, given that they are pea size from the bottom of a lake, or even just rocks or metal, it doesn't say anything about any tests. Even if it did, there are so many conflicting reports and it is Russia, I wouldn't consider anything reported on this as reliable.

That link also says the fragments ''hit 500 people'', totally contrary to all the other reports.

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Regardless, it clearly says they think the hole in the ice was made by something other than a meteorite. And NASA are considering it an asteroid that didn't become a meteorite, ie didn't touch earth.

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 06:24 PM
link   

It may not be the greatest source, but the statement and accompanying photo appear genuine/plausible to me.

We will just have to wait and see if it's confirmed by other sources. If it is genuine, we shouldn't have to wait too long.

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 06:45 PM
link   

That was one of the first things I posted in this thread back on page 10.

www.abovetopsecret.com...
Even so there will still be fragments that fell to earth and until they can explain what made that hole I will bet there is a meteorite down at the bottom.

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 06:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Human_Alien

I certainly don't believe those that make up the government are any more intelligent than the average citizen, but they do have intelligence agencies with the means including financial resources that allows them access to info most of us probably couldn't even imagine. Nasa could have known about this meteorite for months, which would have given the government controllers plenty of time to allow the 'chosen ones' and their families to head for safety.
Kresgen was quite popular during the early to mid seventies, wasn't he. The guy was good at making even the simplest of tricks appear wonderous. I think it was the way he talked and his ability to misdirect. I don't think even his most expensive props would have cost any more than a couple of hundred bucks.

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 06:50 PM
link   
Looks like the story moved a little with the disclosure that meteor fragments may have been found in the debris field at Chebarkul lake. I Googled around looking for alternative connections and found an interesting link on the FAS site.

www.fas.org...

CHEBARKUL METALLURGICAL PLANT was a major player from 1942 in the manufacture of Titanium jet aircraft parts.
Titanium was also used for Russian submarines since Russia had an abundant supply. Some say Titanium parts put Russia ahead of the US during the cold war.

www.mechel.com...

(The original link was cookied so..)

edit on 17-2-2013 by Cauliflower because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 07:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Cauliflower

Looks like Chelyabinsk was a major player in the USSR/ Russian nuclear industry, with at least 2 Atomgrads in it's province.

Atomgrad

During the Cold War the Soviet Union created at least ten closed cities, known as Atomgrads[citation needed], in which nuclear weapons-related research and development took place. After the dissolution of the Soviet Union, all of the cities changed their names (most of the original code-names were simply the oblast and a number). All are still legally "closed", though some have parts of them accessible to foreign visitors with special permits (Sarov, Snezhinsk, and Zheleznogorsk).

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Well, according to the reports, divers went and found nothing.

They said they couldn't find any fragments after ''scouring'' the area and lake.

But a day after they are showing pics of teeny fragments they supposedly found in the lake, they couldn't find these yesterday?

Seriously, either the info given is dodgy or the reporting is dodgy.

NASA says it's a meteorite, then a tiny asteroid that didn't hit ground.

Either they do not know, are confused or making it up as they go along.

I cannot see how they could call it an asteroid and ruling out it hitting the ground when there is so much uninhabited forest, unless they have clear evidence that it vapourised, like NASA said above ground.

If it did vapourise 15 miles above ground there could be small fragments but there's no way to tell if any are ever found if they are from this asteroid / meteorite or not.

www.khaleejtimes.com.../international/2013/February/international_February720.xml§ion=international

He said the ministry believed a circular eight-metre hole in the lake was not caused by any extraterrestrial body.
“We believe it was caused by something else,” he told AFP

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 07:26 PM
link   

If it did vapourise 15 miles above ground there could be small fragments but there's no way to tell if any are ever found if they are from this asteroid / meteorite or not.

Well sounded like there was a little ice fragment residue in that concentric debris field around the open water. They claimed it contained 10% iron which is the standard concentration in a meteor.

KGB could be moving the story with disinformation, wonder where the story will be tomorrow?

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 07:32 PM
link   

From the way things seem so corrupt and hidden there, I wouldn't be at all surprised if this hole was a total decoy in the first place. I doubt they would say to the population of the province that are subject to daily unsafe radiation levels, ''the meteorite is over here'', given that they are worth a lot of money.

I am also still not convinced this thing was ''just a meteor'', it looks like more, perhaps intercepted, or a missile cloaked as a meteor.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Russian and perhaps other governments are keeping some secrets here.

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by theabsolutetruth

I am also still not convinced this thing was ''just a meteor'', it looks like more, perhaps intercepted, or a missile cloaked as a meteor.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Russian and perhaps other governments are keeping some secrets here.

"Rod's from Gods" ?

Dropping metal rods on a target from space, large/heavy and dense enough to appear to be a meteor and hit its target with explosive power.

I beleive it ws a theory/idea...I dontknow if it ever eventuated. why couldnt it be real?

Could even be Russian in nature, testing on its own country before target a country elsewhere.

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 07:52 PM
link   

Yes I have posted like 6 or 7 times about the 3 hour dive looking for the meteorite please take a look at what I have already stated about the conditions then you I am sure you will come to a logical conclusion and not categorize the dive as “scouring”. In the dive community that would be considered a fun dive for that amount of time but I wouldn’t consider those conditions fun at all would you.

Try this as an exercise and you may get small idea of what they are trying to accomplish. Go out in the woods or any area by your home tonight where the terrain is hard to navigate have a friend place some small objects within a 30 to 40 square ft. radius put some thick gloves on and have them blind fold you to simulate the zero visibility. Now you try to find them crawling on your hands and knees feeling around for them. If you can find a really muddy area that would be a better simulation. Come back and tell us how easy it was for you to find those objects make sure to note how long it takes you.

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 07:56 PM
link   
reply to post by FireballStorm

Outstanding! I knew it would be you. Thanks for digging that up and bringing it for all to see. Tentatively looks like a "carbonaceous chondrite", a class of meteorite (like a charcoal briquette).

Heres a link to one of "this kind" found last year in California (the bottom picture).

blogs.ucdavis.edu...

And a YouTube in the link...

Like you say, its not confirmed... just chiming in.

edit on 17-2-2013 by intrptr because: spelling

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 08:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Melbourne_Militia

Perhaps, this could be real tech, there are certainly a lot of advancements with MIRACL, AHW, ASAT etc, there's every possibility some ingenious weapons designer is thinking of, if not manufacturing and testing some sort of all singing and dancing hybrid.

And it wouldn't be implausible to suggest there is more than meets the eye going on and that Russian or other governments might not care too much about testing it somewhere.

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 08:15 PM
link   

The fact is they said they think the hole was made from something else.

I am intelligent, I am aware it is difficult to find things in lakes.

Regardless, even if they produced some shiny chunk of meteorite tomorrow, fitting all the right composition, I would still be wary of it's legitimacy.

I think the fundamental premise of my suspicion is based firmly on factual evidence of a lot of lies that have been and are going on in that area for a very long time, big lies, big radiation lies told by governments.

As well as the statistical anomalies.

Perhaps you buy every word MSM throws at you. I do not.

new topics

top topics

<< 98  99  100    102  103  104 >>

join