It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Moderators Are People Too. (and they have opinions)

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 30 2004 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by SomewhereInChina

Originally posted by AceOfBase
There's no justification for that response somewhereinchina.

Yeah well I had originally posted something that got censored...to put it more mildly....Yeah Don't be a Stupid Cat.....and then I asked SO to make a new forum with an Asian focus and then yes, UK...make me a MOD! Wouldn't it be a great addition to the community to have a Mod from China?

[edit on 30-10-2004 by SomewhereInChina]

[edit on 30-10-2004 by SomewhereInChina]

Why don't we have an African American forum, or any other ethnic forums on ATS, for that matter?

because we're a varied community, and we tend, for the most part, to put our racial differences aside and focus on the topics at hand.

And no, we don't need a new mod from China. You'll learn quick to not ask to become a mod, or it won't happen at all.

LL1

posted on Oct, 30 2004 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Kinglizard, he's the St. Bernard of mods, always to the rescue,
probably his personality I'll bet. Smart as a whip with the
computer skills as well.

dbates, got to love him! He's AF!

Byrd, always droppin' knowledge like it's HOT!
Smart!

GAZZ, we had a lil' something, but it's forgotten and we move on...
I think he's a really nice person in life, with real concerns for the
world just like each and every one of us. Wish he'd update his
thread! I want to know what is going on? Thanks in advance.

Vahall, the Mommy of the board! She is very helpful, if you are
not running your thread correctly, she's right there to help, she'll
U2U you, and help you get it right!

Banshee, you took some points from me I was heart-broken.
Quotes...
But you are forgiven, I got it now. You're in London? My neighbor has a green
"Harlow's" bag... I don't have one, here in NY we are always trying to
keep up with the Jones. It would fix my broken-heart from the quote deduction.
Only kidding!

SO, he reminds me of a professor I once had, has a way of making
you get your point out there. Bet he has an Eddie Bauer hat, and rides around in a shiney Black
Range Rover, with St. Tropez Jet loafers.

These are the only mods that I can remember, think of coming across,
I think they do a fantastic job, especially with the amount of traffic!

Had to come back..
How!? could I have forgotten Amuk? I guess because he's so real,
I forgot he's a mod!

[edit on 30-10-2004 by LL1]

posted on Oct, 30 2004 @ 12:19 PM
link   

No one will ever be banned for a given position on any topic, so there should never be any concern that your disagreement of opinion with a staff member will endanger your community status. (Unless, however, you engage in activity against the Terms & Conditions.)

Thank you very much for the reassurance, but I have to admit I kind of like the banhammer graphic. It has a certain furious energy to it that seems to liven up threads!

posted on Oct, 30 2004 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by LL1

Vahall, the Mommy of the board! She is very helpful, if you are
not running your thread correctly, she's right there to help, she'll
U2U you, and help you get it right!

I like the way you gave your character definitions! Thank you for seeing the people behind the screen...that's very important. Here's a freshly baked chocolate chip cookie...now run and play and let mommy finish her baking.

(pssst...I'm not a mod.) lol

LL1

posted on Oct, 30 2004 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Are you requesting segregation? Why? can't we all just get along
in an integrated forum???

I mis-read, let me get my "Hooked on Phonics" out..
okay i got it...

[edit on 30-10-2004 by LL1]

posted on Oct, 30 2004 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by LL1

No, hes saying that we SHOULDNT, because we already just put our race and color behind us.

posted on Oct, 30 2004 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Otts
Aaah, I feel the love... I want to hug me some mod!

*waves*
Hey Otts, over here.

Seriously, I have a few points.

1- Mods don't post as much as they did when they were members because they have responsibillities to the board. This takes time and they do it for the community.

2- I haven't seen a discussion between a member and a mod where the mod threatened the member. However I have seen, and been in, discussions where members pull the "you're a mod, you'll warn me" card. Not a good debate tactic.

3- Don't think that mod's are free to do what they want, they aren't. They are accountable like everyone else. The difference is that the board doesn't see it.

posted on Oct, 30 2004 @ 12:49 PM
link   
I skip out for a few months to take care of some things, and on the first couple days I'm back, I see this "Mods are people, too."

Most of the time, I don't even bother to look to see who is who, I just read the comments, which makes the comment just a comment, no names, no tags, no nothing. I don't tend care who they are, unless they direct something at me.
The few times I've had to deal with moderators AS moderators, it was from a lack of understanding on my part in the trems of use, and I deserved the slap on the wrist. (I've a horrid tendancy to crude languiage, lol.)--this is all for background.

Anyway, I'm suprised it took you guys as long as it did to make a general announcement. Is the basics behind this in the rules now?

posted on Oct, 30 2004 @ 12:51 PM
link   
well all i have to say is:

three cheers for the hard working mods and others...

also, not to forget, the members and non-members of ATS / BTS...

without us (everyone mentioned) ATS would be just another site or not a site at all...

i am very proud of everyone!!!

posted on Oct, 30 2004 @ 01:24 PM
link   
like jlc163, i too will spend quite a bit of time on this site, then take a break and come back a few months later. I've seen mods banned, members i've respected modded, (like kinglizard, congrats on the modship-as well as many others) and people who were asking for it awhile ago finally banned. I agree totally with SO. when new members come they dont know anything of these people during their life before modding, so they have no idea where they are coming from. I have to admit im guilty of that as well.

If a mod i recognize like Valhall, kinglizard, asala(i think is a mod? or am i just dreaming?) posts in a thread i am active in, I am more likely to quickly heed their advice than a mod i don't know. I think people need to realize that mods DO need to set an example, but only so much as so they are following the board terms and conditions. Becoming a mod does NOT mean they always have to be the peacekeeper. As long as they follow the rules every member is held to anyways, they should be able to post as they please.

Mods deserve more respect IMO than the average member in general because HECK they had to be respected enough to become modded in the first place, doncha think?

I am a mod at a (hopefully) sister site to ATS(ignorancedenied.com...) Currently we do not have this issue, as most the active members knew us before we were modded and the newer members have seen the non-flame atmosphere between mods and members and follow accordingly. But i does help me realize that these mods worked hard to get their jobs, and i think they have it a lot harder off than I do right now. I wonder how you all can handle it sometimes.

So....Can i be mod??
*whew* guess im not gonna be a mod here now, am i?

---pineapple

posted on Oct, 30 2004 @ 01:37 PM
link   
this is the deal I think with some moderators and news anchors...and its not all the time it happens but I can surely see why it does. You folks are into these subjects at deeper levels and day in and day out so naturally being in this position you get irritated or may fly off the handle at some of the posts. I tend to be quirkey and witty with my posts(lots of pics) and dont mean to rub anyone the wrong way but I have seen an improvement in the (punishing) portion of this site when ya stray form the Terms of Service agreement. I remember you all use to dock people points for any small thing
Big improvement and I commend you all for it.

Thanks for being patient to the folks that dont research the information as deep as some do here. But I am glad there are scholarly folks here to really give good solid analytical facts to subject matter. Believe me, I learn alot from you all...daily.

Oh helll,,,,group hug everyone

Thanks ATS....your doing a good job in my little book.

posted on Oct, 30 2004 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by UK Wizard
never ask to be a mod
-
anyway i hear being a mod means you have to under go a painful initiation ritual

[Edited on 30-10-2004 by UK Wizard]

The ceremony for leaving is a lot easier

posted on Oct, 30 2004 @ 02:36 PM
link   
I'll just say that I prefer participating mods to neutral adminstrating only mods. I've run into some mods that I've been on the opposite side of an issue with, and even one or two that I strongly disagreed with, but I've never had any administrative action taken against me or a thread or any posts because of that.

I've seen a mod either lock or trashbin a thread, and sometime before it happens the person who's posts are causing the thread to be shutdown start to complain about the mods. More often I've seen people wander into a thread on a topic and say something like 'me post this topic before, stupid mods shut it down, they mean jerky jerks, me no likey' and prattle on about not being allowed to voice their opinion; but then never actually voice it.

so the long and the short of it; the mods here do an excellent apparently unbiased job of administrating the site and are often engaging and interesting posters also.

People who have been around a group fora while and have received positive feedback and established good reputations are valued group members. An ebay seller with lots of positive feedback is one you buy from. An online retailer with good marks is the one you do business with. Blogs written by intelligent people are the ones you syndicate, and posters who participate rather than blather are the ones you don't 'ignore' or 'killfile'. If that good poster is a mod, well, why should it matter? They shouldn't be restricted anymore than anyone else.

posted on Oct, 30 2004 @ 02:40 PM
link   
On a side note, there is a helluva lot more applause given than warnings.

posted on Oct, 30 2004 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Meaning of INTERPRETATION

Pronunciation: in`turpri'teyshun

Definition:

1. [n] the act of interpreting something as expressed in an artistic performance
2. [n] an explanation of something that is not immediately obvious; "the edict was subject to many interpretations"; "he annoyed us with his interpreting of parables"
3. [n] a mental representation of the meaning or significance of something
4. [n] an explanation that results from interpreting something; "the report included his interpretation of the forensic evidence"

This is all what it comes down to. Mine may be different than yours and so forth. A couple of weeks ago ATS gave birth to New Mods, Myself Included. Before I became a Mod, I thought I had some Issues with some Mods, but I leraned through time as a member that this was their Aura, this was what they are. You have to take a look, and sit back and see reactions throughout the board, of their posts. Many have a very Sarcastic sense of humor, and it is not directed towards myself or any other member. You have to get to know their posting habits. Some may take things more literal than others, that is when the u2u comes into Play. I hope Val does not Kill me after this but, a little story: Something happened in an ATSNN thread that I took as offensive to me. Instead of dragging it out on the Boards, I U2U'd her about it. I said something like, "Whats your Problem with me?" yadda yadda, it turns out we were both in stressfull Moods that day and things were taken out of context, and all Was Good (I hope
) This was solved in a matter of minutes.

I honestly did not know how much stuff Mods had to do, and had to be involved with. But I Love this site, and want to see it succeed that is why I offer my free time, which is alot since I don't have a life
. I suggest if anyone has a problem with anyone to U2U them about it, discuss it, and if it needs to be forwarded on, then contact a Mod of the Forum in question. We have so many different attitudes, lifestyles, Races, Nationalities etc etc on here that everyone is different in so many ways you can not really understand them till you get chatting in threads. Everyone has an Opinion, you might not agree with those opinions, but that is one thing that makes ATS Unique.

posted on Oct, 30 2004 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by tututkamen

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord

Originally posted by tututkamen
Give me a break
they are all politicians and you are Huey Long. They are all under your Overlord thumb and you revel in it.

You've been an irritant here for a long-long time, and revel in it.

(DISCLAIMER: That was a comment from a staff-member with an opinion.)

tou�ch� (t-sh)
(Sports, Military)
and I love it here

TUT

tututkamen, you are far out of line, somewhereinchina, you as well are far out of line. Members who disobey laws should not be allowed to be on the internet at all. Moderators getting pummeled for your sorry arse is bad enough. You best think before you act.

SIC, all I need is a K at the end of your initial name to describe what that post of yours made me feel like. Stiffle your ignorance, all of you. I would much rather come back to ATS that was actually FILLED WITH QUALITY DISCUSSION. But, I see none of it since all you hostile new members came into the picture.

This is why I seldomly return to ATS. Arrogant jerks like you two.

[edit on 10-30-2004 by Shugo]

posted on Oct, 30 2004 @ 04:05 PM
link   
Yeah KOOL,

Your Avatar tells all. You also can give me a BREAK

posted on Oct, 30 2004 @ 04:29 PM
link   
Meanwhile, find a rest room, fore you pee in your Gestapo Pants

posted on Oct, 30 2004 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by dreamlandmafia

Originally posted by LL1

No, hes saying that we SHOULDNT, because we already just put our race and color behind us.

exactly.

seldom will you see a race-based disagreement here on ATS, and thats the way it should be.

posted on Oct, 30 2004 @ 04:34 PM
link   
Well, I for one have argued with a mod who actually stated that if I continued to express my opinions as facts then the thread would be closed, and it was closed, then reopened, now it's being threatened again. The opinions I supposedly stated as facts are from credible, cited sources. So yes, mods are people to, but yes sometimes they use their status to an advantage in a debate. Don't get me wrong, you guys run a fine site here or I wouldn't be on it, and I applaud the hard work etc.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join