It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Moderators Are People Too. (and they have opinions)

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 30 2004 @ 04:39 PM
link   
I love you Twitchy

posted on Oct, 30 2004 @ 04:51 PM
link   
OK, my 38� (inflation)

I think the mods here are great !!
I have been on a couple other boards (of various concepts) that the mods, well, are GODS! Not a good thing.

As jlc163 said, I too pay no attention to the status of a poster, I mean, whats the difference?

I have only had one run-in with a mod, and was told I can take it to a higher lever if wished, but I did not - as that mod was doing what he felt was best, and it just wasnt that big of a deal to justify taking it up. When I read that mods' posts, I only see his name - the run-in has no bearing on what I think of his thoughts of the thread, as the thread title here - mods are people too.

Again, I think the mods here do an awsome job !!!

Misfit

posted on Oct, 30 2004 @ 05:01 PM
link   
In the interest or "appearance" of moderation, perhaps there should be a difference between "moderators" who post on topic and moderators that patrol a forum. I'll break it down for the little kids....

If you (as a moderator) choose to participate in the discussion of a topic you would lose "temporarilly" the power and priviledges you get as a moderator in that thread. Now if you choose to audit and "moderate" a discussion you can play it as you see it.

This might help to dispell the appearance of a "conflict of interests". You take part in the discussion, you're just a member, subject to the same rules as the others.
Its at least upfront and honest...and it would reduce the intimidation factor tremendously...it levels the playing field for discussion.

Remember...communication is only possible between equals

On a side note...telling anyone to "shut up" on a discussion board is juvenile...its the internet boys, nobody's shutting up...and that fact that it threatened physical violence and came from a "moderator" is pretty pathetic...and I've seen him do it before. Maybe one day someone will take take the "tough guy" from Alabama up on it.

of course I'm just a troublemaker....

there is no friend anywhere - Lao Tse

posted on Oct, 30 2004 @ 05:06 PM
link   
Just to update everyone... The member, "W_HAMILTON" was just banned for sending a terribly threatening U2U to one of our staff (the assurance of physical violence and all). Since our staff member just recently came online, I didn't confirm if the U2U was sent before or after this thread started.

posted on Oct, 30 2004 @ 05:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
The member, "W_HAMILTON" was just banned for sending a terribly threatening U2U to one of our staff (the assurance of physical violence and all). Since our staff member just recently came online, I didn't confirm if the U2U was sent before or after this thread started.

Note To Self
When advising someone to utilize u2u messages to rectify a grievance, remind them that the Terms and Conditions for Use are still in effect; the u2u merely prevents the airing of dirty laundry.

Guess I wasn't comprehensive in my advice a couple of pages ago... My bad.

posted on Oct, 30 2004 @ 05:21 PM
link   
Hate to see him go.

Its sad that people cant remember that this is just a place to exchange ideas nothing more or less.

When you get heated stop go play with your kids or have a beer, chill for a while and then come back.

Its helps a lot

posted on Oct, 30 2004 @ 05:47 PM
link   
Oh please! We all know that Mods are merely computer programs set to rule the matrix.

MODS: Mechanised Operators Dominating Sanity

You wont quell my madness! I can sure as hell promise you of that.

posted on Oct, 30 2004 @ 08:31 PM
link   
Is there any way I can vote SO for the Way Above this month?

Honestly, if mods aren't allowed to express their opinions, then please, demote me.

I don't look at myself as a mod, I look at myself as a member. That's the way it should be. Sure we have a little more responsibility, but hey, it's still for the love of ATS.

posted on Oct, 30 2004 @ 08:54 PM
link   
Hear hear! I love the lively, radical and often wildly outrageous opinions of the ATS staff.

I also have to agree that the combination of such fascinating perspectives with professional conduct as moderators has proven very appealing. It keeps me coming back, at least.

Maybe the ATS staff hears it too much, or maybe not enough. Just in case:

Thank You ATS Staff Members!!!!

I only wish I could vote mods for "way above" (and only occasionally "ignore"
). Hmm, maybe there should be a separate voting system for our favorite mods.

Oh well, either way...

Happy Devilnacht,

Majic
Shameless Moderator Fanboi

posted on Oct, 30 2004 @ 09:22 PM
link   
Moderators Are People Too.

Sounds like a cry for sympathy or validation and as for

(and they have opinions) you dont see the ref in a boxing match join in with the fighting he usually just referees. You have an opinion then express it why the need to post threads like this is it a basic need for reassurance or acceptance? You have the rules and regs dont you?

One thing i guess if a mod starts a thread then he should not be allowed to moderate it, if this already happens then good idea and I have not read the small print

Anywho ATS is so diverse and extreme in its ideas there is room even for mods
Although i must admit to being a rocker

posted on Oct, 30 2004 @ 10:43 PM
link   
Some of us mods don't even have the tiiiiiime to discuss anything anymore.

posted on Oct, 30 2004 @ 11:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Voice_of Doom
In the interest or "appearance" of moderation, perhaps there should be a difference between "moderators" who post on topic and moderators that patrol a forum. I'll break it down for the little kids....

Wow...thanks

If you (as a moderator) choose to participate in the discussion of a topic you would lose "temporarilly" the power and priviledges you get as a moderator in that thread. Now if you choose to audit and "moderate" a discussion you can play it as you see it.

It would be a big mistake to make a change like that..IMHO
I am new here, but as I understand the process, moderators are long time members who have earned the title of moderator by their behavior and actions as members.

Now you are saying that they don't have enough sense to behave properly in the role of moderator. They are not able to benefit a discussion with their knowledge and experience because they are too immature to refrain from childish conduct.

I would hope the administration would stop any moderator who does fall into the above childish behavior. This probably takes place quietly behind the scenes.

The Moderators I have seen on the threads have conducted themselves responsibly. I have great admiration for them and the job they do to keep this great ATS running in the way that it was conceived. My favorite Mods are FredT and kinglizard.

posted on Oct, 30 2004 @ 11:32 PM
link   
Things ((((NOT)))) to say to a Mod!

I was going to be a Mod but I decided to finish high school instead.

Gee regular moderator that's terrific. The last Super mods only gave me a warning.

JUST KIDDING..........

MODS ARE PEOPLE TOO!

posted on Oct, 30 2004 @ 11:51 PM
link   
A song from Depeche Mode to my mind

People are people so why should it be
You and I should get along so awfully

So we're different colours
And we're different creeds
And different people have different needs
It's obvious you hate me
Though I've done nothing wrong
I never even met you
So what could I have done

I can't understand
What makes a man
Hate another man
Help me understand

People are people so why should it be
You and I should get along so awfully

Help me understand

Now you're punching and you're kicking
And you're shouting at me
I'm relying on your common decency
So far it hasn't surfaced
But I'm sure it exists
It just takes a while to travel
From your head to your fist

I can't understand
What makes a man
Hate another man

Help me understand

posted on Oct, 31 2004 @ 03:44 AM
link   
Personally I'v been very impressed with the mods on ATS.

Their distinguishing characteristic for me has not been their supposed authoritativeness, the fact that they have the word 'MODERATOR' next to their name, or even their posts. What sets mods (or MOST anyway) apart is the fact that they really care about bettering ATS and its members.

When I first joined and had trouble uploading an avatar, a lot of the people that replied to my plea for help were moderators.Many of times that I've done something wrong or got confused with something they helped me rectify it in the nicest way possible. For this reason I would like to thank Mods like asala,Gazrok, and Kinglizard.

This said, I can see how people can abuse their powers, and I urge people like S.O to view legitimate complaints concerning Mods as objectively as possible.
The one thing I have noticed is that certain Mods censor people's arguments too early, fearing they'll escalate into a full blown war, which is not always the case. You can never truly deny ignorance if you have to censor what you say and this goes for both Mods and normal Members alike.

EDIT: Whoops forgot to mention pantha amongst my praiseworthy Mods. Must've been made a Mod while I wanst lookin'

[edit on 31-10-2004 by Seeking Soul]

posted on Oct, 31 2004 @ 07:25 AM
link   
I don't post much, on a count of the fact I never seem to have anything constructive to add.. But I'm always on nonetheless. And I love it here! I for one have seen mods help out on countless occasions and contribute some great material around here. And, well, with that said, I introduce you to the product of my boredom this morning...

Anybody want a t-shirt?
Hehe they could say "(insert favorite mod's name here) is my hero" on the back for a bit of a personal touch!

posted on Oct, 31 2004 @ 09:11 AM
link   
Well yes sad but tur there ar4e members out there who hate Mods giving opions when it doesnt match theres but such is life, those members shouldnt be on here then, mods make this board work cos SO and Simon cant do it themselves.

posted on Oct, 31 2004 @ 11:57 PM
link   

Glad to see I helped contribute to an ATS issue.

And I'll say again what I said before- I have absolutely no problems with mods having opinions. What I did say is that they should be held to a higher onus of maturity and correctness. My original complaints were not because mods held certain opinions, but that those opinions flew in the face of logic, fact, and common sense, and were biased and self-ignorant at times. This would be perfectly fine if ATS didn't have "Deny Ignorance" written everywhere like it actually applied to the place

By and large, the mods are fine. In fact, I can't think of one mod who should be 'fired'. But some times I think they don't exactly represent what ATS is supposed to. If the staff can't be expected to Deny Ignorance, what hope is there for the rest of us?

[edit on 10-31-2004 by Esoterica]

posted on Nov, 1 2004 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Moderators are people too

Well, I disagree and here is my proof:

A recent Group Picture of mods from a secret ATS Mod convention in October:

posted on Nov, 1 2004 @ 11:09 AM
link   
Man, you're way off.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join